PDA

View Full Version : RT test ride today

Perry
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
:pray:I have a 09 RS.Like it a lot. Rode the RTS today. Have a little problem with it. Brakes on this new one{6miles} was very mushey.My RS stops on a dime. This RT gave me a scare when I braked in close traffic. Also, absolutely much less power than my RS on the open road. Other than those two issues the RT is smooth and you feel your driving a car.Very secure feeling.Beautiful looking.
And the pull back handlebars removes the back pain I get with the RS from leaning foward .The adjustable windshield is great.
I'm concerned with service/repair costs after 2 year warrenty expires and I believe most dealers do not have BRP trained repair personnel or parts.
Please comment if you have ridden the RT.

bjt
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
:pray:I have a 09 RS.Like it a lot. Rode the RTS today. Have a little problem with it. Brakes on this new one{6miles} was very mushey.My RS stops on a dime. This RT gave me a scare when I braked in close traffic. Also, absolutely much less power than my RS on the open road. Other than those two issues the RT is smooth and you feel your driving a car.Very secure feeling.Beautiful looking.
And the pull back handlebars removes the back pain I get with the RS from leaning foward .The adjustable windshield is great.
I'm concerned with service/repair costs after 2 year warrenty expires and I believe most dealers do not have BRP trained repair personnel or parts.

Try a set of ESI handlebar risers to get the grips closer to you and allow a more upright riding posture.

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/SpyderHandlebarRiserKits.html

slather1
11-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I took a ride on Tuesday. Did not notice either of those issues. Loved the machine. The only thing that scares me is the high price compared to the low trade in value of my 08 SE5.

Questions
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I found the brakes to be good, however compared to what you are use too, you are stopping with the same braking system, many more Pounds.

I would recommend the extended warr. for about $1K, as there are a lot of buttons and electronics that can go bad after 2 years. :yikes:

michaels cycle
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
The only thing that scares me is the high price compared to the low trade in value of my 08 SE5.

I guess the only way to get around that is sell or 08 SE5 out right.

Trade in value always sucks big time, unless you can afford to give it away.
Dealer always takes his cut at the time of trade in time, plus makes another profit on resale.
That goes for all used toys and cages as well.

OkiNutsEP3
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM

FYI, I am a tech. In order to even recieve the RT-S Demo, we have to do an online web siminar, and then take a test, and pass it. There are 4 total, and they are done with the 3rd one so far.
1. Overview(mand. for demo)
2. Pre-delivery inspection
3. Electrical part 1(mand. for regular shipments)
4. Electrical part 2

If you went to a dealer, and they had a RT, that means they are doing thier training. The RT is the same base as the GS/RS, it just has a bunch of stuff added to it, and it looks a bit different. So, if the techs have worked on the RS/GS it all relates. I wouldn't be worried about the training. Knowledge comes from touching the machines, and figuring things out for yourself.
I'm sorry if it sounds like I have a bad attitude, but I'm just typing how I talk, and what I know.

SpyderWolf
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
FYI, I am a tech. In order to even recieve the RT-S Demo, we have to do an online web siminar, and then take a test, and pass it. There are 4 total, and they are done with the 3rd one so far.
1. Overview(mand. for demo)
2. Pre-delivery inspection
3. Electrical part 1(mand. for regular shipments)
4. Electrical part 2

If you went to a dealer, and they had a RT, that means they are doing thier training. The RT is the same base as the GS/RS, it just has a bunch of stuff added to it, and it looks a bit different. So, if the techs have worked on the RS/GS it all relates. I wouldn't be worried about the training. Knowledge comes from touching the machines, and figuring things out for yourself.
I'm sorry if it sounds like I have a bad attitude, but I'm just typing how I talk, and what I know.

Thanks for the information on what you guys have to go through as techs, and the fact the dealer cannot get one of these unless you are doing the training. That is actually good to know. I don't sense an attitude, it sounds like an honest opinion to me. :)

NancysToy
11-19-2009, 10:39 PM
The brakes should have been firm, not mushy. Any "mush" at the pedal indicates a likely need to bleed the brakes properly, or some other brake malfunction. The RT I rode had good, firm brakes. As was said, however, it has exactly the same brake system as the GS/RS, but weighs a third more. It is going to take farther to stop. Leave yourself an assured safe distance ahead, as they say.

Electrified
11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I rode one on Saturday for the first time and fell in love. I have owned many bikes over the years and realize that the first ride can always seem better than it is. First impressions were great as I put the RT through its paces hard and managed to get the front wheel off the ground even though BRP says you are not supposed to.

As much as I liked it, we are waiting for the first run production blues to get worked out and will begin looking real hard when the 2011's start rolling off the line hopefully with some better color choices.

vtrider
11-20-2009, 05:38 AM
My dealer just received there RT demo and will have it ready to test ride this Saturday. I was invited to be one of the first test riders to try it out. I'll keep everyone posted and give my thoughts on it after the test ride. I can't wait to ride it!