PDA

View Full Version : Roadster or Trike?

Lilly
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
for those that have rode with motorcycle groups>u r aware that trikes must ride in front of the tailgunner due to wheels on back of the bike:doorag:

do u think sypder's should be allowed to ride anywhere they want to in group of various brands of bikes being wheels r on front of the bike..OR..have to still ride in front of the tailgunner:dontknow:

VIspyderman
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
for those that have rode with motorcycle groups>u r aware that trikes must ride in front of the tailgunner due to wheels on back of the bike:doorag:

do u think sypder's should be allowed to ride anywhere they want to in group of various brands of bikes being wheels r on front of the bike..OR..have to still ride in front of the tailgunner:dontknow:

I've ridden 1000's of KM's with groups of 2 wheelers and have no problem ryding in the middle of the group. Quite often I'm asked to tail or lead, but almost everyone is OK with me being in the middle of the packl.

Lamonster
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I start in the back but if they are too slow I wind up in the front. :doorag:

bjt
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM

:clap: :D

spydsense
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I used to ride in the back but now I ride in the middle or towards the front....too many slow pokes and I hate running red lights :gaah:

mike3069
11-19-2009, 08:06 PM

:agree:Yeah, what he said. :doorag:

SpyderWolf
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I have ridden in all of the positions in the group formation. The only time I have ever been asked to ride as the tail gunner was in the rain. This is because, and I quote: "That rear fender may do a great job of keeping you dry, but your rear wheel throws out the biggest rooster tail I have ever seen!". I later found out the guys who were riding behind me couldn't believe it was raining so hard, and it was barely raining at all. ;)

NancysToy
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Conventional group techniques, and the new MSF three-wheeler booklet, indicate that three wheel machines should ride to the rear of a group. The reason for this is that they take up a full lane, and cannot ride staggered formation at one second spacing to the bike immediately ahead (staggered) and two seconds to the second bike ahead which is in the same wheel track. While it may be perfectly safe to intersperse them, it does break up and affect group integrity and timing, and requires any bike following to maintain a full two second gap, instead of the one second they are used to.

GI Jane
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree with Scotty. The American Legion Riders have all the trikes, including the Spyder, in the back. Don't matter where I'm ryding....as long as I'm ryding

SpyderWolf
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Don't matter where I'm ryding....as long as I'm ryding

:agree: I have actually started to like being the tailgunner more lately for some reason. I think it is a little safer, as the cars are less apt to want to pass me as I am wider and they are not too sure about what it is. ;)

BumbleBee
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Conventional group techniques, and the new MSF three-wheeler booklet, indicate that three wheel machines should ride to the rear of a group. The reason for this is that they take up a full lane, and cannot ride staggered formation at one second spacing to the bike immediately ahead (staggered) and two seconds to the second bike ahead which is in the same wheel track. While it may be perfectly safe to intersperse them, it does break up and affect group integrity and timing, and requires any bike following to maintain a full two second gap, instead of the one second they are used to.

quote=GI Jane; I agree with Scotty. The American Legion Riders have all the trikes, including the Spyder, in the back. Don't matter where I'm ryding....as long as I'm ryding

:agree: That's the way us spyders ryde and were told to do in the American Legion Rider outings, events, parades, etc. :2thumbs:

shansmow
11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
When I ryde with my group the leader likes me to be in the back. He says when he sees me he knows that everyone is through the intersection, we're all together, etc. Plus when I've ridden in the front or middle the-hard-core-no-windshield-no-face-shield-no-glasses-why-don't-you-get-a-real-bike riders stay waaaayyyy back b/c they say I throw off too much debris. Sissies :D

jwhatman
11-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I usually ride in the middle of the group, but if it's raining, I move to the back, due to the earlier mention of the "rooster tail". Found that out when me, my parents and husband went up to Georgia. Hubby was tail gunner and I was in front of him. It started pouring and he couldn't see a thing. Oops! So now when it rains I ride in the back out of respect. I have not had any problems with anyone riding in the middle or wherever. When riding with 2-wheelers I try to stick to one side of my lane and keep and longer following distance than I would with a 2-wheel bike. Seems to work for us.
Joyce

dicko
11-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I have ridden in all of the positions in the group formation. The only time I have ever been asked to ride as the tail gunner was in the rain. This is because, and I quote: "That rear fender may do a great job of keeping you dry, but your rear wheel throws out the biggest rooster tail I have ever seen!". I later found out the guys who were riding behind me couldn't believe it was raining so hard, and it was barely raining at all. ;)

I've had same issue with the rooster tail in the rain. Normally I'm asked to ride last. So many people in tin-tops cut in behind me and in front of the person behind just to have a look at the Spyder. Hence, unless it's wet, I get to be tail-end charlie.

dicko
11-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Generally I found that VW / Subaru powered trikes get to ride at back (unless they are ride leader) whilst converted bikes ride anywhere in the pack. Not a lot of difference with a modified bike-into-trike and a bike and chair. Following a 250cc Yamaha Virago trike is easier to see around than a normal Goldwing.

Do you see many "Wedgetails" in the North America? http://www.wedgetailoutriders.com.au/

SpyderWolf
11-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Do you see many "Wedgetails" in the North America? http://www.wedgetailoutriders.com.au/

I have never seen one of those before, but it looks like a very cool concept. To be able to go back to 2 wheels when someone wants to would provide some great flexibility and options. :2thumbs:

retread
11-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I've seen a couple, one of them got a side wheel up on a high spot and had to be pushed off, the drive wheel was off the ground.

john

bjt
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
NON CARBONUNDIS ILLEGITIMATI

I had to look this up to see what words of wisdom you had for us. :D

BajaRon
11-25-2009, 12:58 AM

Funny how they are always too slow.... :D

dltang
11-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Funny how they are always too slow.... :D

You know Ron, he stayed in the back almost the whole way to LA.

Lamonster
11-25-2009, 11:58 AM
You know Ron, he stayed in the back almost the whole way to LA.

True, I liked riding with you guys. :2thumbs: