PDA

View Full Version : What's the general opinion - Wax or Ceramic on your Spyder?

Kromm
09-15-2023, 07:22 AM
I was wondering what the general opinion of using Wax vrs using a Ceramic coating is. I was going to put a good coat of Wax on my Spyder, but I got talking to a guy about this and he suggested Ceramic. I've done some research on the web. but it's very mixed. Ceramic last longer, and Wax gives a better finish (deeper shine). So I was wondering what the general opinion was.

blacklightning
09-15-2023, 08:10 AM
I have used both. With the ceramic coating, it seems to be more durable and able to stand up to rocks and debris more than wax. As for the deep shine, I don't see much of a difference. I did my 2016 F3T and plan on doing my 2021 RTL. My wife's (used to be mine) 2016 F3L Special Series has multiple finishes (flat and metalic), so I will be waxing the shiny pieces and then just maintaining the entire thing with F11 spray detailer after a wash.

spyderdave
09-15-2023, 05:06 PM
I was told by my neighbor, a bodyshop manager, that the new paints are "softer" and less resistant to the elements, bug splats and bird droppings; a good coat of ceramic "wax" will help protect your paint. Pay attention to the % of SIO2 or teflon in the product, the more the better.

FrogmanDave
09-15-2023, 05:26 PM
I prefer ceramic infused with graphene. No comparison to old fashioned waxes. Just better all around.

chipveres
09-15-2023, 06:15 PM
I'm lazy and use Nu-Finish.

Spyderpilot
09-15-2023, 08:13 PM
Is there a particular brand you use? I use a lot of Adam’s products and have seen that they have the Graphene system.

SP

Bfromla
09-16-2023, 01:59 AM
:hun::dontknow: Too busy ryding:riding::riding::riding: :doorag: Does get rinsed with some rain, have used some fast wax 205017 https://www.fastwax.com/product/fw1-wash-wax-lab-tested-pit-proven/
Acquired at some promotional Demo after letting the Demo person give spyder a good once over application. Seems work well enough- personally not high shine type, doesn’t seem to have issue with the many decals. Unfortunately some of them fading & unable to find replacements.

Peter Aawen
09-16-2023, 03:24 AM
:hun::dontknow: Too busy ryding:riding::riding::riding: :doorag: Does get rinsed with some rain, have used some fast wax......

I'm with you, I really didn't think rain came in either type, 'wax' OR 'ceramic'! :dontknow:

:rolleyes:

Mikey
09-16-2023, 04:27 AM
:agree:x3! I use Plexus from stem to stern after wash!:dontknow:

ulflyer
09-16-2023, 03:51 PM
Turtle Wax brand Ceramic is popular on car forums. I've used it for several years on bikes and cars. Make sure it says it can be used on plastic & rubber trim without whitening.

Edited: I'm wrong, this is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-477R-ICE-Spray/dp/B007KTINWQ/ref=sr_1_5_pp?crid=28OZRLBI3MSWF&keywords=turtle%2Bwax&qid=1694898353&sprefix=turtle%2Bwax%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-5&th=1

GFrog
09-16-2023, 05:27 PM
I'm a big fan of ceramic coatings. I get compliments all the time for my Yukon even when it's dirty. I used Ceramic Pro on the Yukon.

For the Spyder, I knew that Satin/Matte finishes were a tricky to work with and cannot be touched-up easily when scratched. After much research I went with Revivify Self Healing Nano Coating.

I was applied by my Favorite detailing shop the day following delivery. https://revivifycoatings.com/

Rode all spring and summer and not a scratch in sight (they all self heal) and the bike is super easy to wash and dry. It was well worth the investment.

Clean Yukon & Dirty Spyder

205036 205037

Vincef329
09-16-2023, 05:50 PM
Ceramic for sure. Been using the turtle wax in the gray bottle at wally. I have a triple black F3 and it works on everything, windscreen too. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between wax and ceramic.

Heisty
09-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Vince, I see multiple gray bottles at Wally…. Could you add the name of the one you’ve picked?

Thanks!

Kromm
09-18-2023, 07:24 AM
It seems like everyone really likes Ceramic. Since Ive always used wax (Turtle Wax has always been my preference) and have no experience with Ceramic coatings. I looked up some more info on how to apply ceramic. I was wondering if it was just something you just wipe on. What I found was that they suggested after a good wash, to use "clay to get the rest of the impurities off the paint. And not to apply it on top of a vehicle that has had wax already applied.

I have used Plexus, which does give a shine. Does that count as a Wax? Will it effect the outcome of the finish? And are there any differences between the ones that come in a spray bottle and the ones that don't.

EdMat
09-18-2023, 01:03 PM
I like the Turtle Wax newer line of products, both Ceramic and Graphene. Easy on and off and makes cleanup a breeze. They have a full line for different areas.

FrogmanDave
09-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions (graphene infused) is what I use. Cerakote makes some good products as well. Any of the newer ceramics will do you.