PDA

View Full Version : Adding Ride On to your tires - Good, Bad, Opinions?

gkamer
09-14-2023, 09:44 AM
So what is the general consensus for adding Ride On to your Spyder tires? Would it be worthwhile, or a waste of money. How about potential tire damage?

fatboy
09-14-2023, 09:52 AM
use it in all our bikes

RayBJ
09-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Not a fan of putting goo in my tires. IF I was to use dynamic balancers, I would use ceramic beads or the Centrics(sp?) rings.

Ideally, use weights and dynamic or static balancing.

If getting a flat tire is a concern, carry a plug kit and 12v air compressor.

Saluda
09-14-2023, 10:00 AM
Tire guys don't seem to like it.

BajaRon
09-14-2023, 10:25 AM
I like Ride-On. I know people say that tire people don't like it. But I don't know why. It doesn't affect anything during a change. Doesn't get on the tire tools, machine, whatever. It stays put on the tread area.

The only downside is the out of balance you'll experience after leaving your bike sit for 2 weeks or more. That lasts (in diminishing degrees) for about 5 miles, depending on temperature.

I recommend using the Car Tire version. Ride-On used to recommend this for the Spyder for good reason. We are running car tires. However, for some reason Ride-On now recommends the Motorcycle Version for the Spyder. This makes no sense to me. The motorcycle version is more geared towards fast puncture seal and less towards balance. The car version goes the opposite direction. Which is appropriate for our application. And the car version is less expensive.

Triniman
09-14-2023, 11:11 AM
I like using Ride On. I have used it for the last 12 years and I have not had to balance my wheels. When I had my Yamaha Raider, I replaced 3 sets of tires and add Ride On and never had to balance the wheels. I recently replaced my rear tire on my Spyder and since I did not have a way to balance the wheel, I added 3 bottles of Ride On in the rear tire. Then you ride the bike for about 5 miles so that solution spreads in the tire. I did balance the front tires as I have the equipment at my shop.

Leaping1
09-14-2023, 12:26 PM
I really like Ride On. It works wonders.

Jdr00ejr
09-14-2023, 01:23 PM
I use balance beads for balancing - and carry a plug kit/compressor. I do use "FlatOut" on my PEV stuff though.

Pooch
09-14-2023, 01:36 PM
I used Ride-On in my Gold Wing trike tires. Really did like it.
First time I drove it after putting the Ride-On in the tires it scared the be-jabbers out of me - tires jostling like I had 3 flats.. but after a couple of miles it smoothed out and was an excellent ride. I knew to watch for that thereafter and just relax until the fluid was redistributed in the tire.
I could ride down the road without holding onto the handlebars until an anomoly in the road would make the trike deviate from straight on. It gave me the confidence to continue to ride, mostly alone, out in the middle of no-where, at least not fearing a flat... well... at least not a flat from a puncture in the center of the tire. The website tells you if its a sidewall puncture the product will not help.
Per the website I put the motorcycle version in the trike tires (which are auto tires) because they said the motorcycle version will heal the puncture faster than the car product. I called them to verify and discuss that statement and was told they felt it important for an "exposed" rider at speed (not inside a car cage) needed to have that fast delivery of relief as they were inheritantly more vulnerable to danger in the first moments of the episode.

staneric
09-14-2023, 03:48 PM
I've used it for years in six different bikes.
It works.

bikerbillone
09-15-2023, 06:52 AM
Ride On worked for me, if nothing else, it can save you if you have a puncture out in the boonies. The old formula was a mess but the new is fine for a tire change.

JimH
09-15-2023, 10:23 AM
How do you apply or use Ride On? I looked at the website, is it one bottle per tire, how and when do you add it to a tire?
Thanks,
Jim

BajaRon
09-15-2023, 10:26 AM
How do you apply or use Ride On? I looked at the website, is it one bottle per tire, how and when do you add it to a tire?
Thanks,
Jim

You remove the valve stem and put it in with the tube that Ride-On supplies. Pretty easy to do.

Pooch
09-15-2023, 10:53 AM
You might want to read the installation instructions I found on their website...
https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/installation-instructions/Ride-On_Bottle_Installation_Instructions.pdf

RodO
09-15-2023, 07:26 PM
I installed Ride-On motorcycle flavour yesterday in my RTL and went for a short ride today. Using their online calculator, I used 12oz in front and 16oz in the rear. I thought there may be some wobbling until it was spread around the inside of the tires but in the short ride I was able to get in, none at all. Tomorrow I'll be able to give it a good test.

YMMV

baxter
10-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Just thinking out loud. Have had 20 bikes, ridden all over on all kinds of road surfaces, in all kinds of weather conditions and not once had a unbalanced wheel/tire from factory or when new tires put on as well as had a flat. Carry compressor and plug kit for peace of mind.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-10-2023, 11:02 AM
Just thinking out loud. Have had 20 bikes, ridden all over on all kinds of road surfaces, in all kinds of weather conditions and not once had a unbalanced wheel/tire from factory or when new tires put on as well as had a flat. Carry compressor and plug kit for peace of mind.

But none of them were Kendas, were they?

BajaRon
10-10-2023, 02:02 PM

Were they running car tires as the Spyder does?

Jane1330
10-10-2023, 02:13 PM
I like Ride-On. I know people say that tire people don't like it. But I don't know why. It doesn't affect anything during a change. Doesn't get on the tire tools, machine, whatever. It stays put on the tread area.

The only downside is the out of balance you'll experience after leaving your bike sit for 2 weeks or more. That lasts (in diminishing degrees) for about 5 miles, depending on temperature.

I recommend using the Car Tire version. Ride-On used to recommend this for the Spyder for good reason. We are running car tires. However, for some reason Ride-On now recommends the Motorcycle Version for the Spyder. This makes no sense to me. The motorcycle version is more geared towards fast puncture seal and less towards balance. The car version goes the opposite direction. Which is appropriate for our application. And the car version is less expensive.

I concur...

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2023, 03:26 PM
You might want to read the installation instructions I found on their website...
https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/installation-instructions/Ride-On_Bottle_Installation_Instructions.pdf

Thanks for the LINK ..... however I haven't used it yet ..... How do you know how many oz. you have put in the tire...??? ...Mike

Pooch
10-10-2023, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry but I don't really remember... whatever they recommended for the size tires I had on the Gold Wing trike. I know I had a BT46 on for a front tire but honestly don't remember what car tires were on the rear... that was in 2017 and I have since sold the trike and bought the Spyder. There was a chart or reference on the Ride-On website as to how much was needed for whichever size tire.
I ordered it but my neighbor actually squeezed the stuff into the tires as it did take some muscle to get the tubes squeezed out well.

bikerbillone
10-10-2023, 04:34 PM
I do recall it was a real tough squeeze back in the day on my GW, hopefully they have improved that. I used a clamp arrangement to get it out. When I run out of Kenda's, I'm getting some Ride-On.

bigbadbrucie
10-10-2023, 05:17 PM
I’ve been riding M/C since I was 16 and I’m 80 now. During that time, I’ve never had a wheel balance problem, and only once have I actually suffered rolling flat tire. Also during that time I have never, ever put any kind of goop into my tires and I don’t intend to start now. Also in that same time period, I’ve had numerous flat tires on my cars, but again have never put any goop into them. jmho

baxter
10-10-2023, 05:22 PM
26 states on original tires with two spyders- no issues

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2023, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry but I don't really remember... whatever they recommended for the size tires I had on the Gold Wing trike. I know I had a BT46 on for a front tire but honestly don't remember what car tires were on the rear... that was in 2017 and I have since sold the trike and bought the Spyder. There was a chart or reference on the Ride-On website as to how much was needed for whichever size tire.
I ordered it but my neighbor actually squeezed the stuff into the tires as it did take some muscle to get the tubes squeezed out well.

Pooch if this was an answer to my question??? ..... It didn't .... How does one know HOW MANY OUNCES ARE GOING INTO THE TIRE? ...... Do you put the Ride-on into a measuring cup and then use a funnel to get it through the valve stem??? .... Mike :thumbup:

Pooch
10-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Pooch if this was an answer to my question??? ..... It didn't .... How does one know HOW MANY OUNCES ARE GOING INTO THE TIRE? ...... Do you put the Ride-on into a measuring cup and then use a funnel to get it through the valve stem??? .... Mike :thumbup:

The Ride-On tubes contain x-amount of ounces of Ride-On. The tube is squeezed directly into the tire valve stem area.

Example only… not intended to be used as fact…. if the tube contains 6 oz and the recommended amount to apply to one tire is 12 oz.. you would need to buy 2 tubes for one tire x 3 tires = 6 tubes to purchase.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2023, 09:35 PM
The Ride-On tubes contain x-amount of ounces of Ride-On. The tube is squeezed directly into the tire valve stem area.

Example only… not intended to be used as fact…. if the tube contains 6 oz and the recommended amount to apply to one tire is 12 oz.. you would need to buy 2 tubes for one tire x 3 tires = 6 tubes to purchase.

Thank you this makes sense now ....Mike :thumbup:

bikerbillone
10-11-2023, 05:33 AM
Hey Pooch, thanks for the warm up tip.