PDA

View Full Version : Robobrackets system and hand protection

adohring
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey all,

I have been trying to get CHAD windshield now for months and Industires 7 is having manufacturing issues. I liked the CHAD because it was adjustable and the shield was wider and offered some hand protection.

The only real competition to the CHAD for me is the Robobrackets but it looks like the shield wont offer any wind protection for the hands. Can those who have the Robobrackets offer up some info on if your hands still get cold on the freeway when its in the 40's? (I have gloves of course...)

Thanks.

DynamoBT
11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Call Evan at ESI for the CHAD. I bet he can help you.

musicarcade
11-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

I have been trying to get CHAD windshield now for months and Industires 7 is having manufacturing issues. I liked the CHAD because it was adjustable and the shield was wider and offered some hand protection.

The only real competition to the CHAD for me is the Robobrackets but it looks like the shield wont offer any wind protection for the hands. Can those who have the Robobrackets offer up some info on if your hands still get cold on the freeway when its in the 40's? (I have gloves of course...)

Thanks.

I can attest that my hands got cold when I was on the freeway and it was in the 50's, but I was not wearing winter gloves

adohring
11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Call Evan at ESI for the CHAD. I bet he can help you.

Dynamo,

I originally purchased the CHAD from No Magic. It was defective (malformed and not level across the top). No Magic sent me to Industries 7 (they were very nice about it) and so I had Industries 7 send me a replacement. That shield was also defective. Malformed (bent in funny ways) and again not level across the top. I contacted Industries 7 again and they started looking into the problem, turns out they had a problem with their manufacturing process and ALL the shields they had were defective. I decided to wait for them to fix the process so I could get a CHAD. They told me today they are not sure when the process will be fixed and would rather not have me wait any longer (its been 2.5 months). This is why I am inquiring about the Robobrackets.

Thanks though.

DynamoBT
11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Didn't know all this. I have the CHAD and love it. Have ridden in the rain and kept my hands and upper body dry. Too bad Industries 7 is having production issues. There really isn't anything like it but for the Robobrackets. Someone who has it will probably chime in. I think those that have it are generally very happy too.

Tom in NM
11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Can those who have the Robobrackets offer up some info on if your hands still get cold on the freeway when its in the 40's? (I have gloves of course...)
Thanks.

It all depends. ( I have the RoboBrackets and MadStad shield )

I had good cold weather gloves, but the mid-40s @ 75+ mph - my hands would get cold. Not bad, but not something I would want to go on for more than an hour or two. If the speed was down to the 50 mph range and below, the gloves were fine - didn't notice any cold.

I just bought a pair of the Tourmaster Synergy Textile Gloves (heated) . . .

http://www.tourmaster.com/images/products/h_sygt.jpg
. . . . and they work great as far as the warmth goes. Being wind and (I think) waterproof, they are even good without being turned on.
They are good on flexibility (no problems with throttle or my Throttlemeister and SE5 shifting is good) They are not great on zippers or for doing brain surgery, but I don't have one of those - so I am good to go.

The wiring is a pain - A MAJOR PAIN. Everything is fine when you are riding, but if you are stopping a lot, like for gas or anything where you need to take off a glove - especially if you are right handed - you will find you will most likely have to take off both gloves AND disconnect them. Getting them back on and hooked up will take something under 5 minutes. I am not looking forward to doing this some cold, rainy/snowy night.

I do have the Synergy Heated Vest ( that is great ). Connecting the gloves to the vest is not bad, but it does require some wire management. But knowing what I know now, I would have bought the Synergy Jacket - it has connectors for the gloves that would "help" with the wire management, though unplugging etc. would still be an issue - though you might be able get away with only taking off one glove.

The other alternative is getting some hand guards to put on the Spyder. I have seen some soft ones (like muffs for your hands) and some hard ones advertised. I have some hard ones on my BMW and they work very well. But, since I have the NMN risers and Throttlemeisters, I really have to see them in person and figure out if they will fit.

I have heated grips on my BMW, I don't use them - they don't seem to make a significant difference to me. I am not looking to put any on my Spyder.

I am still really happy with the RoboBrackets and shield. I have hit the 30s and it works very nice. My First Gear riding suit, Synergy Vest & Textile Gloves work like a charm (except for all that damn wiring and inconvenient connection activity).

Tom

dltang
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

Thanks.

I have the Robobrackets and their shield. I agree, my hands are probably going to get cold as I ride all winter even below zero. I am thinking of investing in heated gloves this year but a more inexpensive start is one of two ideas that I am considering. Last year Director (Bruce) talked about using Snowmobile muffs and I am also thinking of the plastic wind protectors you see on ATV's and Snowmobiles.
Snowmobile/Motorcycle Muffs (http://www.virtualvillage.com/motorcycle/snowmobile-handlebar-muffs-black-hand-covers.html)

DynamoBT
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Hippo Hands also makes a muff specifically for the Spyder.

jcbatt
11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I was out the other night in low 40's, about 60-70 MPH and so-so winter gloves with Robobrackets and their 22" shield. My hands were fine, but it wasn't a super long ride. I have the shield adjusted all the way up and as straight (so out at the top, in at the bottom) as could be. Overall, I was very comfortable, and the ride was very peaceful and quiet.

Longlegs
11-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I have the Robobrackets and their shield. I agree, my hands are probably going to get cold as I ride all winter even below zero. I am thinking of investing in heated gloves this year but a more inexpensive start is one of two ideas that I am considering. Last year Director (Bruce) talked about using Snowmobile muffs and I am also thinking of the plastic wind protectors you see on ATV's and Snowmobiles.
Snowmobile/Motorcycle Muffs (http://www.virtualvillage.com/motorcycle/snowmobile-handlebar-muffs-black-hand-covers.html)

I am looking at the powermadd hand guards. They have a couple options to increase the size of the deflector too. I have a set on my sled and if I ever get my spyder back I'll look and see if they'll work on it.

Tom in NM
11-19-2009, 01:52 AM
I am thinking of investing in heated gloves this year but a more inexpensive start is one of two ideas that I am considering. Last year Director (Bruce) talked about using Snowmobile muffs and I am also thinking of the plastic wind protectors you see on ATV's and Snowmobiles.

Thanks Deb, I remembered Director's post, but had not been able to find it. The Hippo hands look nice, but I want a less expensive 2nd option to my heated gloves - these look perfect.

Tom

dltang
11-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Deb, I remembered Director's post, but had not been able to find it. The Hippo hands look nice, but I want a less expensive 2nd option to my heated gloves - these look perfect.

Tom

You are Welcome Tom.:f_spider::f_spider: