PDA

View Full Version : Another overfilled ryker by the dealer.

TheSwede
09-01-2023, 04:44 AM
Hello!

Left my Ryker at the dealer to do the first yearly service. Did it so there wouldnt be any issues in case something failed during the warranty period.
Drove it home from the dealer, a drive of about 40 miles. Later that day i drove another 80 miles. The day after i decided to check the oil level and when the engine was hot the level was way above max, as much above as the distance from min/max on the dipstick but above max.
Checked several times at working temps, letting it idle and so on.
When it was cold the level showed max.
I have sucked some oil out and the oil level is now fine but...

Do i need to worry that something might have taken some damage? Or is it more like the engine would have failed while it was overfilled and everything should be fine now? No leaks

BajaRon
09-01-2023, 09:08 AM
I recommend checking oil level at the dealership. This happens way too often. It doesn't hurt to be sure the 'Experts' did it right. We have customers do it here and we are glad they do. If it hurts your mechanics feelings to double check their work. You have to wonder why. When you do a good job, you should be happy that the customer cares enough to check it out.

2dogs
09-01-2023, 12:08 PM
The same happened to me back in 2014 on my 3k oil change. Exactly 1 qt too much. Dealers seem to only have one qualified tech on staff and the rest are part time employees or first time unsupervised employees. Didn't seem to hurt my machine in any fashion. It runs today like the day I bought it. So I think you are good.

TheSwede
09-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Their excuse was that they dont check level, they instead fill the same amount that they empty. That means that if you leave them a bike with low or high oil level in it, it will be returned in the same way. Hopefully this isnt representative of BRP`s retailers/shops. Either way, next service i will be out of warranty and will do my own oil changes.

2dogs
09-03-2023, 04:01 PM
Their excuse was that they dont check level, they instead fill the same amount that they empty. That means that if you leave them a bike with low or high oil level in it, it will be returned in the same way. Hopefully this isnt representative of BRP`s retailers/shops. Either way, next service i will be out of warranty and will do my own oil changes.

What a bunch of BS they handed you. Think about it. They just flat a$$ screwed up.

BajaRon
09-03-2023, 07:42 PM

I agree with 2dogs. Extremely lame. No one with any consideration for the machine or the customer would do this. Why would you pay someone to take in a bike that was wrong. And send it out exactly the same way? They are either completely incompetent. Or just outright lying to you. Either way, not a good thing.

tibadoe
09-04-2023, 08:37 AM
Just another example of the value of a DIY service. It's easy and relatively simple: download the shop manual, acquire some tools, and watch some videos if needed. I enjoy servicing all my vehicles, motorcycles, tractor, and small engine stuff. At least I know the work was actually done and it's done right.

2dogs
09-04-2023, 01:37 PM
Just another example of the value of a DIY service. It's easy and relatively simple: download the shop manual, acquire some tools, and watch some videos if needed. I enjoy servicing all my vehicles, motorcycles, tractor, and small engine stuff. At least I know the work was actually done and it's done right.

Some if not most of us are on 3 wheels simply because we have physical limitations that prevent us from enjoying 2 wheels any longer. It's time to buddy up with one another and share maintenance, oil changes, and etc. Make a day of it, beer and BBQ or whatever. Enjoy one another just as if you were on a ride somewhere together. Treat your friends and your machines all with the same respect. Happy trails.

TheSwede
09-10-2023, 02:45 PM
The thing for me in Sweden is that I have to have the dealer do the servicing to keep the warranty, but the warranty ends next year, so next service I will do it myself. They also did the wrong service, it was supposed to be the first-year service, but they did the 2-year service, so my next service will only be oil and filter ;)