PDA

View Full Version : Brake light coming on without braking while riding - any ideas/help?

MAC70
08-22-2023, 04:30 PM
My friend has a 2013 ST and her brake light has been coming on when she has been riding. When she pulls off the road and shuts it off the restarts it the light goes away. Can anyone tell me why this is, would appreciate any help. Thanks

Johnston
08-22-2023, 05:37 PM
I have a 2011 RTs and my brake lights stay on all the time while Riding going back to dealer in 4 weeks that’s how far they are backed up

CopperSpyder
08-22-2023, 06:06 PM
You can try a search of the forum using the search box near the top right side there have been many post like this one ( "click:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?149738-Brake-Lights-Staying-on-after-ignition-turned-off&highlight=Brake+light+switch) Brake switches are known to get dirty and stick. Another issue sometime is when someone adds a bigger brake pedal, it will need to have a spring added so it will fully return when you let off the brake. There are times after cleaning the brake switch it turns out to be just bad and you have to replace it but not often, Eazy job if need be.

chipveres
08-23-2023, 04:39 PM
First thing is to check the positioning of the brake light switch. It has two big nuts on it that permit it to be adjusted front-rear or more sensitive-less sensitive.

ARtraveler
08-23-2023, 06:14 PM
You can try a search of the forum using the search box near the top right side there have been many post like this one ( "click:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?149738-Brake-Lights-Staying-on-after-ignition-turned-off&highlight=Brake+light+switch) Brake switches are known to get dirty and stick. Another issue sometime is when someone adds a bigger brake pedal, it will need to have a spring added so it will fully return when you let off the brake. There are times after cleaning the brake switch it turns out to be just bad and you have to replace it but not often, Eazy job if need be.

:agree: x 2 Been there and done that. :bowdown:

Bfromla
08-23-2023, 10:53 PM
Can be adjustments could be bent or all out fail, as well as just accidental operation. -when safely stopped & off the bike squat down & operate with hand ; observing if returning to position , or needs pulled back. If so Return spring failure. There were some too close to exhaust & Cat. heat shield bent or failed.