PDA

View Full Version : Today’s jaunt through the South Texas Brush Country

BCNewell
08-20-2023, 08:02 PM
Been putting lots of time in recently running a tractor on the farm, so today I treated myself to a 370mi ride. Left Rio Hondo right before 8am, stopped for ‘brunch’ at a Whataburger in Robstown, gassed up in Alice, turned back south at Freer, topped off with gas in Hebbronville, then meandered my way back southeast toward home. All 2-lane roads after I got off US77 in Robstown. Air temps were ~80*F when l left and ~102*F when I got home around 3pm. Actually stopped to take a few pics along the way (something I rarely do!).

Old concrete water tower in downtown Alice; Freer, TX is home to the annual Texas Rattlesnake Roundup in April (this area is ripe with Western Diamondback rattlesnakes in the scrub brush); downtown Freer, which was a thriving area in the ‘60’s. Two blocks of old vacant buildings on both sides of the street; interesting building that can be seen atop a hill in Hebbronville from several miles away
https://www.caller.com/story/opinion/forums/2022/08/19/hebbronvilles-scotus-college-is-a-monument-to-religious-freedom/65409302007/; derelict cotton gin from the ~’70’s near La Reforma.

Dasmoetorhead
08-21-2023, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a good ride. Nice pictures. The Daytona Is looking sharp.