PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spyder SE5 won't always start - anyone else experience this?

spyderse5
08-19-2023, 10:37 PM
Hi! First time post. Let's see how it goes.

My 2012 Spyder Limited has been having a start issue lately, where pushing on the start button doesn't always start the bike. Display is on correct page, press down the brake pedal, and push on the start button. There is no start, no noise, and no indication on the display. After pausing and pushing the start button, it eventually will start. Sometimes it starts right away. Checked the brake sensor, it seems to be ok. The battery was purchased last December of 2022. Bike is garaged and on a trickle charger. Took apart the right hand start module, the start button seems to be working, but not sure. Don't want to cut into harness to test it.

Anyone else experience this issue?

ulflyer
08-20-2023, 05:13 PM
Battery cables tight?

Bfromla
08-20-2023, 08:05 PM
Definitely double check battery & clean tight connections.:firstplace: star washers :thumbup:
Trickle chargers , even new batteries fail.

spyderse5
08-20-2023, 08:25 PM
Battery connections seem ok. I think I would have other electrical symptoms if the connections were shaky. The replacement right hand starter module is uber expensive. Surprised that I haven't seen this issue on any posts. Thanks for your help.

Bfromla
08-20-2023, 10:29 PM
Additionally fool around with kill switch maybe something loose/dirty there.

pegasus1300
08-20-2023, 11:14 PM
I have had two friends whose 2012/2013 RTL did a similar thing and it turned out to be the starter button itself. They ended up replacing the right handle bar module. Star washers are an important addition as well. At 77,400 miles my push button is doing fine

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-23-2023, 12:46 PM
Hi! First time post. Let's see how it goes.

My 2012 Spyder Limited has been having a start issue lately, where pushing on the start button doesn't always start the bike. Display is on correct page, press down the brake pedal, and push on the start button. There is no start, no noise, and no indication on the display. After pausing and pushing the start button, it eventually will start. Sometimes it starts right away. Checked the brake sensor, it seems to be ok. The battery was purchased last December of 2022. Bike is garaged and on a trickle charger. Took apart the right hand start module, the start button seems to be working, but not sure. Don't want to cut into harness to test it.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I think you probably are having the same problem I had with my 2014 RT. Check out these two threads about the problem and how I fixed it. Replacing the right switch assembly is the easiest, and most expensive fix even if you get a used assembly from a salvage yard. A new one is several hundred dollars.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?149835-Urgent!-Starter-button-acting-up

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?150357-Replacing-the-start-button-on-my-2014-RT-saved-me-500&highlight=start+button