PDA

View Full Version : Ladies...how difficult is handling?

Yspyder
11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
My wife is concerned on how difficult or tiring it may be to handle the RT. Right now she handles her VTX1300 Honda all day with a little bit of discomfort at the end of the day. Do you think this may be aproblem if we start riding a Spyder? Any thoughts will be aprreciated.:helpsmilie:

martha
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not a spyder owner yet. But I did take a ride on the RTS yesterday, it's fantastic easy to handle, I am so use to riding the Queen Quad this RTS is like a small sports car with power steering in comparison, I'm in love with it.
:2thumbs:

NancysToy
11-15-2009, 11:15 AM
My wife is concerned on how difficult or tiring it may be to handle the RT. Right now she handles her VTX1300 Honda all day with a little bit of discomfort at the end of the day. Do you think this may be aproblem if we start riding a Spyder? Any thoughts will be aprreciated.:helpsmilie:
Riding a Spyder is more tiring physically than riding a motorcycle, in my opinion. We ride both, and my wife's Spyder was her first road machine. She is a petite 5'2", so if she can handle hers with ease, I doubt your wife will have any issues. It is just because you actually have to steer, rather than just countersteer to initiate a turn, that there is more effort involved. The rider also has to lean into the turn, bending or shifting pysically, which gives a bit more of a workout.

I have ridden both Spyders. The RT will be the easier of the two stock machines, due to the closeness of the handlebars. On the standard Spyder, your arms are fairly straight. When you turn, one arm bends and pulls the bars, but the other cannot push since it is already straight. With handlebar risers, or on the new RT, the arms are naturally bent, so the rider can pull and push at the same time. This make steering much easier! BTW, don't forget that both Spyders have power assisted steering.

dltang
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
In my opinion, the spyder is a physical machine to ride but not too physical. I have ridden back to back iron butt's last year without ever having ridden one before.(iron butt) The steering was never an issue. When you ride a lot of twisties, it is more work than a 2 wheeler but in a fun way. I don't think you have to muscle the spyder, if anything, you need to learn not to muscle it and ride easy with it. That is actually the hardest part, trying not to steer so much and to relax. I have met many female spyder riders and every one of them is smiling and happy with their choice of spyder.

DynamoBT
11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
What Deb said!! :agree:

Amanda B
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I am small, and because of that never rode a bike unless I was on the back which I found very uncomfortable and unpleasant. I began riding the spyder the first day with absolutely no problem. The only thing that causes any discomfort is the seat which I will be replacing before next spring and that there needs to be a way to stretch your legs out via either floorboards or highway pegs. I don't see riding it as physical at all or tiring. Handling is not a problem in any way.

Smylinacha
11-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm 5 feet tall. I came off of cruiser style motorcycles. Only difference is like what others said - you steer it and you don't lean. Plus you are in a more "sport bike" position rather than a cruiser. Your legs are a little more behind the "mid mount" position and farther away if you were riding w/ floorboards or forward controls on the Honda. Also she might wanna get Magicman's handlebar risers - takes some of the pressure off your arms and wrists.

Also some people like the stock seat but I felt I was sitting "on top" of my Spyder. But if she's going for the RT, then that seat is real comfy. I sat on a RT but never rode one. and sitting on that is less "sport style" as compared to my Spyder which isn't an RT.

Questions
11-16-2009, 01:21 AM
I just picked up my new RT-S last Thursday 11/12 and have put 200 miles on it with out any straining on extra effort above riding my BMW R1200R, or any other motorcycle I have owned. All I can say is this is a dream to ride and gives me everything a touring bike can be, and at my 5'3" height the RT-S is the perfect ride.

dltang
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I just picked up my new RT-S last Thursday 11/12 and have put 200 miles on it with out any straining on extra effort above riding my BMW R1200R, or any other motorcycle I have owned. All I can say is this is a dream to ride and gives me everything a touring bike can be, and at my 5'3" height the RT-S is the perfect ride.

So you are saying you bought and have taken delivery of your very own new RT-S Spyder? That is great, that would mean they are ahead of schedule on delivery. :congrats: and welcome

Big Arm
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM

welcome Jibara2733, and:congrats: on your new purchase. We love to see pictures here.

Questions
11-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, that is correct, I guess the dealer Corona Motorsport received the demo unit and had no problems selling it. In this economy who would ?

I put 200 miles on it this weekend in the mountain curves, not tired or sore at all, I'll take some pic's to share with you guys, I would highly recomend it for a small stature person, it is wonderful and is the only way I can get all the comfort goodies without worrying about droping it on its side or my foot. I would say Ladies unite and buy one and see what the fellas have been enjoying!!!!:2excited:

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes, that is correct, I guess the dealer Corona Motorsport received the demo unit and had no problems selling it. In this economy who would ?

I put 200 miles on it this weekend in the mountain curves, not tired or sore at all, I'll take some pic's to share with you guys, I would highly recomend it for a small stature person, it is wonderful and is the only way I can get all the comfort goodies without worrying about droping it on its side or my foot. I would say Ladies unite and buy one and see what the fellas have been enjoying!!!!:2excited:

It's really nice that you were able to walk in and get one when there were folks who placed a order the day the RT was released that will have to play by the same rules that all the other dealers agreed to.

I know it has nothing to do with you but that dealer broke an agreement with BRP by selling you that demo unit. Bad economy or not it is still wrong.

Anyway welcome

Questions
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I was just trying to help a follow lady rider and give her feedback on her question on the site, I thought that was the idea,to enjoy the spyder, share our good times, and help each other out. I had no idea of what a dealer is supposed to do or not do and the rules.

I hope I don't have to stop sharing my excitment cause it is causing a problems. That would be a shame as that seems like the basis for us all being here.

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I was just trying to help a follow lady rider and give her feedback on her question on the site, I thought that was the idea,to enjoy the spyder, share our good times, and help each other out. I had no idea of what a dealer is supposed to do or not do and the rules.

I hope I don't have to stop sharing my excitment cause it is causing a problems. That would be a shame as that seems like the basis for us all being here.
My comment was about the dealer, not you. Hope you continue to share seeing as of right now you're the first owner I know of. :congrats:

spyryder
11-16-2009, 06:00 PM
My comment was about the dealer, not you. Hope you continue to share seeing as of right now you're the first owner I know of. :congrats:

Jay Leno eat yer heart out.:D

docdoru
11-16-2009, 06:05 PM
welcome and :congrats: for the :firstplace: RT :thumbup:

Al Bragg
11-16-2009, 06:08 PM
PICS!, PICS! WE WANT PICS!

Questions
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Here you go guys let me know what you think of the new ride,
Thanks to all for the support:f_spider:

NancysToy
11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Here you go guys let me know what you think on the new ride,
Thanks to all for the support:f_spider:
:congrats: Don't mind us, we are all insanely jealous.

bjt
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
welcome :congrats: Please keep sharing.......

+1

Most anyone on here who is getting an RT would have bought one just like you did if they could get the dealer to sell their demo. Congrats.

retread
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not jealous---yet. Let me get the $$$$ together to buy an RT, THEN I'll consider JEALOUS!:joke:
:congrats:welcome have fun, ryde safe.

john