PDA

View Full Version : Driver@Passenger Audio Hookup

TOM T.
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I got to see my dealers new RTS. It is everything they say it was. The sitting position is right where I want it and the controls and sound are very easy to use and operate. Rode it around the parking lot and was really fun. Get to take it on the road Monday for a full test drive.
The question I have is there was no hookup for headsets on his unit. The plates were they go are there but no connector. I ordered new CanAm helmets with headsets for driver and passenger. Is this going to be another add on at pickup time or are they already included?:dontknow:

Questions
11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I believe you only get those, meaning you have intercom ability and/or ability to listen to music via the headset, only if you purchase the CB option.

Lamonster
11-15-2009, 12:23 PM
http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/en-US/Accessories-RTAccessories/Product-List

TOM T.
11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I've ordered the CB,GPS,and the XM radio to go with my RTS, but it doesn't show the female connector that is mounted on the bike that the headset plugs into. Online Accessories shows that you need harness#219400201 to go with these items, but when I ordered them at the dealers this item was not listed as an accessory for these items.:dontknow:

Lamonster
11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Wish I had an answer for you but I don't. :dontknow:

medican
11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
When you add on the CB & Comms (one unit) Its wired in with the plugs for the comms front and back.
At least thats what my dealer said....lol

TOM T.
11-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks. The picture on the accessory page for the CB and comm doesn't show the plugs but it does make sense then.

Dwight
11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
My dealer guys didn't have a good answer for any of my questions on the intercom. I think they finally decided that I had to have the CB to have the intercom. It seems all of the accessories are installed by the dealer, I was also wondering where the hookups for the intercom were. Hopefully convient to each passenger. I'm not real happy about having to order the CB just to get the intercom, in all of the years I've owned HD's I've never used the CB. At least on my Wing I could have the intercom without having to pay for a CB that I won't use. Oh well, I'm still excited about getting it.

Dwight

AntelopeSpyder
11-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I had the concern and I was given the same answer by my dealer ( Purchase the CB package ). I was at the Sacramento Auto Show Sunday and talked to a BRP rep. She didn’t have a definite answer for me, but she was going to research it and let me know. I don’t feel you should have to buy the CB package just to get an intercom.:dontknow:

NancysToy
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I am going to put a Starcom1 comm system on mine, like I have on the other Spyder and the BMW. There were many questions my dealer couldn't answer about the comm system, like yours. One of them was whether or not the helmet headsets would play music, or just do the CB and intercom (also BRP GPS, according to Fred Rau). In the end, dealer said the same as yours, you need the CB/Comm System option. They were not able to get an answer on the additional harness that the Web page specifies.

The passenger plug is below the rear speaker on the left. Seems very convenient. There is a plain hole plug there on Spyders without the accessory. I didn't look for the rider outlet location. I expect to put my Starcom bulkhead connectors there. I may continue to play my music through the Starcom for a while, since it is integrated already. Not used to external speakers anyway.

BillGargan
11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
My dealer guys didn't have a good answer for any of my questions on the intercom. I think they finally decided that I had to have the CB to have the intercom. It seems all of the accessories are installed by the dealer, I was also wondering where the hookups for the intercom were. Hopefully convient to each passenger. I'm not real happy about having to order the CB just to get the intercom, in all of the years I've owned HD's I've never used the CB. At least on my Wing I could have the intercom without having to pay for a CB that I won't use. Oh well, I'm still excited about getting it.

Dwight

I suspect that the larger advantage to CB is to allow communications over a longer distance than just between driver and passenger. If that is all you intend, there are simpler and more elegant solutions that cost far less.

Cruisin Dave
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Scotty,
The rider plug-in goes between the switches..where the filler plug is in this pic:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/Cruisin32/Spyder/IMG_5198.jpg

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks. The picture on the accessory page for the CB and comm doesn't show the plugs but it does make sense then.
I just received conformation from BRP that you will have both driver and passenger communication with the CB package and that's the only way to get it from BRP.

Cruisin Dave
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Lamont,
Is there any way to find out the size and configuration of the plugs for the headsets? Like Scotty, I use a Starcom system on the Boss and the plugs are a small round 6-pin. I've looked at Harley and Goldwing factory plugs and they are much larger. Would be nice to know what type headset connector is compatible with the BRP system.

medican
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Since we are on the topic (sort of)

If the GPS is on the bike, with the bluetooth, and you have the comms/ CB. Will you be able to talk on your phone through your helmat???

Thanks in advance
Richard

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I think it's the same as the Victory Vision. Fred Rau posted something about that.

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Fred's report

Secondly, you may have noticed that several times in this blog I have alluded to numerous glitches in the audio system’s electronics. This too, turned out to basically be a lack of knowledge on my own part, though in my own defense, there is not yet an owner’s manual for this bike, so I was left with figuring out the numerous and various functions of a very complex system all on my own. The fact that I used to command an operations center in a four-unit power generating plant obviously was not sufficient training. Either that, or I’ve just lost too many brain cells in the ensuing years.
Anyway, here’s what you need to know so you won’t encounter the same problems when you take delivery of your own RT:

A basic, five-pin DIN headset hookup will NOT work properly on an RT. The RT uses a SEVEN-pin plug.
Most modern headsets (like the J&M units) are designed to work with various systems, including the one on the RT, but you will need to swap out the lower half of your headset cord for a seven-pin model, if you currently have the five-pin.
After swapping the cords, your standard headset will work, after a fashion, but you will need to turn up the microphone volume considerably (which is located on the CB control screen in the LCD panel, indicated by a little microphone icon).
For better results, you should also replace your standard microphones with the high-output type, such as are on most Harley-Davidson headsets, and are also available from J&M.
The intercom is VOX (voice-activated). It can also be activated by using the push-to-talk switch on the CB, but this will result in your conversation also going out over the airways.
The sensitivity of the VOX system is also controlled from the CB screen, but is NOT the control with the icon of a microphone, like you would think. It is, actually, the one on the far right, with an icon that looks like a little head.

There are still a few glitches with the audio, but I have discussed these with BRP. They are aware of them, and assure me they will be repaired before the unit goes into regular production. Basically, though, I now have fully-operational AM/FM/XM, intercom and CB.
I would like to profusely thank the folks at Sierra Electronics, who diagnosed and repaired my problems with the audio. I hate to say it, but in truth they seemed much more conversant with the audio system on the RT than even the folks at BRP (sorry guys!). Of course, since they have specialized in motorcycle audio system design, installation and repair for many years, I guess that only makes sense.

medican
11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Lamont,

Would you have a link to fred's report???

Thanks
Richard

Lamonster
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
http://blog.spyderfred.com/page/2.aspx

lawrenc454
01-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Fred stated that it was a 7-pin lower cord. There are two types of plugs in 7 pin. One is for H-D (7 in a circle) and the second is for Victory (6 in a circle with one in the middle). Anyone seen which it is? Thanks, Lonnie

outdoorallens
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Just picked up the CB/comm system from my dealer. Got it home and after reading the instructions :roflblack: found that the passenger plug-in is not included. Have a call into the dealer to find out about it, but still waiting for a call back. But looking at this thread, I suspect they won't have an answer for me just as most dealers don't seem to for anyone else. They haven't been very informed as of yet of their product. Seems to me if you're going to sell a product you should darn well know about it!!! :gaah: What's the point of having a bike come set up for a passenger with backrest and heated grips, if you can't communicate with the passenger? :dontknow:

NancysToy
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Just picked up the CB/comm system from my dealer. Got it home and after reading the instructions :roflblack: found that the passenger plug-in is not included. Have a call into the dealer to find out about it, but still waiting for a call back. But looking at this thread, I suspect they won't have an answer for me just as most dealers don't seem to for anyone else. They haven't been very informed as of yet of their product. Seems to me if you're going to sell a product you should darn well know about it!!! :gaah: What's the point of having a bike come set up for a passenger with backrest and heated grips, if you can't communicate with the passenger? :dontknow:
The passenger headset connector is included with the Entertainment Harness. That item is needed to install either the CB/Comm or the XM option. The BRP Web site shows this, as does their dealer's accessory catalog. Dealers that are unaware of this requirement have, indeed, not done their homework. You're going to have to shell out a few more bucks (and take the Spyder apart again) before your CB/Comm will work...or at least work in its entirety.

ThreeWheels
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I installed the IMC MIT 100 system on the RT-S over the weekend.
This system has a connector for a bike to bike radio. On my ST-1100 I used a GMRS radio. I'm going to switch to CB on the RT. I just bought a Midland CB that I can plug into the system. The CB is an optional component.
The only disadvantage is that the RT radio will not play through the headsets. I can get the IPOD,Cell, GPS, Rider Intercom and the CB all through the headsets, but not the radio. When I hook the IPOD up to the RT audio system, the ECC can change the playlists and songs. Pretty cool.

TicketBait
03-17-2010, 12:11 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/809_0178.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/447427_90_FT_FL.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/tharkun650/RT-S/809_0179.jpg

patience, it's all gonna turn out great.