PDA

View Full Version : Snitched Out

NancysToy
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Since Brian already snitched me out, with photos nonetheless, I figured I had better at least say "Hi." Not ready to hang out again on a regular basis, but I want to thank you all for your comments and let you know I am alive and well (with plenty of help from the docs these days).

I test rode the RT today at Nord-Ride Motorsports in Mt. Morris, MI. I did not expect to do anything but gawk, but Brian and Deb set a ride up for me ahead of time. I want to thank them both, and also to thank Frank from Nord-Ride for the opportunity. It was very gracious of him, since it is not my normal dealership, being 120 miles from home. Nice folks and a fine dealership.

I know a lot of you respect my comments, so I would like to tell you about my RT ride. I had considered forfeiting my deposit on the RT for a while, but after today's ride, my purchase is sure to find a home here. My impressions:

The Ride: This thing is smooth and soft! Seems more prone to wallow than the GS/RS with the shocks set the same as ours (3rd notch), especially in an avoidance maneuver, Some may wish to set the shock preload up a notch or two, but remember, this is a touring machine - not a sport-tourer. Soft and easy is what it is made for. I do think I will spend some parking lot time getting used to it first, even after many miles on the Spyder GS/RS. Like Deb said, it's like comparing a Camaro and a Cadillac. It is a different category. I'm looking forward to lots of miles on this baby.

Power: The RT-S is certainly not underpowered. It should do everything it is asked...as long as it is not asked to do it at 3,000 rpm. Seems to like even more revs than the GS/RS. Part of that is the smoothness and the lack of resistance of the throttle. The power comes on so smoothly and effortlessly that it does not kick you in the butt, and requires little conscious effort. It will go faster than you think, way more quickly than you realize. I had to pay close attention to the speedometer. It was easy to go overboard with having a clue. Maybe there will be no reserve, two-up in the mountains, towing a trailer, but it is plenty for my needs...even with a trailer, I'll wager. It's going to look nice towing a vintage bike with Cruisin Dave's trailer or a motorcycle popup camper.

Comfort: The seat was comfortable to me. I'll have to get used to the kick-up behind my bum, but this one didn't bother me like a Goldwing or BMW LT. After I started riding, I forgot it was there. That says a lot for me. The seat itself seems flatter than the comfort seat for the GS/RS, which is fine by me. Less lateral support, but more comfortable to my odd backside. Of course I find the stock GS/RS seat comfortable, which many don't. The passenger seat was nicely supported, and seemed comfortable. The passenger footboards and wide ryder pegs are a nice touch, and easy on the feet. Handlebar position was excellent for my six feet and long arms. The comfort worried me the most up until now, and I am satisfied that I can do 500 mile days, and more, very easily on this...more easily than on my BMW RT.

Fit & Finish: Nicely done! Everything matched and fit well, with no sign of paint flaws. I was very pleased with the Timeless Black. The luggage covers fit well and closed easily and evenly. The trunk latch on this one needed to be adjusted, but they just got it in. Different method of adjustment than the previous model. Could still use a popper spring, but we'll have to invent something different this time. The trunk liner fits much better than the GS/RS, and has convenient zipper access to the fusebox and manual. Overall, there is a quality feel of fit and finish that seems more luxurious than the standard model. There is a nice use of varying textures to enhance the aesthetics, too.

Audio: First I have to say that I have never owned a bike with an audio system, and I am not used to them. This seemed very foreign to me, after years of helmet speakers. I may or may not get used to it. It did seem to work well, but I muted it out after a while. I wish I could comment with some knowledge and experience, but vintage bikes never had these. I will likely continue to just pipe the MP3 player through my existing comm system for a while.

Rider Protection: As has been said, the heat issue on the right foot seems to be completely resolved. No sign of it, although it was a cool day in the fifties, so there was no acid test. The windshield does a good job at both sides and top. Wind noise in my noisy Scorpion EXO700 was almost identical to my BMW RT with a taller Cee Bailey's recurved shield. Very acceptable, and didn't knock my head around. I could only see over the windshield by about two inches (the bare minimum, IMO) in the down position. I looked through it after it was about 25% raised. This may not be acceptable in heavy rain...we'll see. I prefer to peep just above the windshield under those conditions. I will buy a lower shield if they offer one, or might cut the stock one down. Don't know how that will affect rider protection and noise. The deflectors work well, and you notice absolutely no difference in lower airflow with the shield up or down. BRP has obviously spent some time in the wind tunnel with this one. The windshield goes pretty much up and down, the angle doesn't change.

Me: OK, I'm not likely to appear on your order sheet, but I had to comment. My 120 mile ride to see the RT was the farthest I have ridden this year, due to medical problems. I am four days off of spendin three months on the strongest pain meds available, and it was a bit of a chore to ride this far. The new knee hinge hurt noticeably about halfway there, and by one fourth of the way home. I rode my BMW because it feels much better right now than the standard Spyder, which hurts the knee in a few short miles, 10-15 minutes tops. My knee did not even twinge after 15 minutes on the RT-S! I think that says a lot. I did not ride long enough to test my backside, but going for a ride that soon after I got off my Beemer did not reignite the flames. Good ride for a tired old body, in my humble estimation.

Well, there's my two pennies worth. Take a demo ride for yourself soon. It's worth the effort! :thumbup::thumbup:

Spydr in KS
11-14-2009, 06:29 PM
He's back! Missed you Scotty. Welcome back.:clap:

ataDude
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi, Scotty! Miss ya, man. :gaah:

Cruisin Dave
11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Scotty,
Good to see you back! :clap: We test rode the RT-S today also. See my ride report in separate thread. :yes:

BumbleBee
11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
:clap:We have missed you, welcome back. Never met you in person, but I always enjoyed reading your responses. You bring great knowledge to this site. "You have been a great help to me" Thanks!!!!

Very nice write-up about the RT, great job :2thumbs:

By the way, the count on the pre-orders are at "23-RT'S & 11 Trailers"

Trickie Dick
11-14-2009, 08:22 PM
It's nice to have you around again. I appreciate your comments on the RT and sure you are looking forward to your own. Hope we see additional insight when that moment arrives.
Dick

musicarcade
11-14-2009, 08:29 PM
It's nice to have you around again. I appreciate your comments on the RT and sure you are looking forward to your own. Hope we see additional insight when that moment arrives.
Dick
:agree:
:yes:

tatt2r
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
great write up scotty ....and thank you your 2 cents is worth 200$ worth in my opinion...
take care brother hope you feel better soon,,,,,

SpyderWolf
11-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for stopping in and giving us your honest review Scotty. It is truly appreciated. :2thumbs:

Derwin
11-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Very nice review of the Spyder.

Your a class act all the way, Scotty, and your support in this forum is proof of that.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts. I am SOLD! But, as always....... where to get the m-o-n-e-y!

Be safe. And get well. :thumbup:

Derwin

ArmyJoe
11-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice to see you back. As a new rider, I always make a point of reading your posts. In ham radio lingo, you're what we call an Elmer.

WaltH
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome back Scotty! Thanks for the comments on the RT-S. I have examined the RT-S a couple of times, but have declined a test ride because I knew I would not like the feel of the front suspension (do mine max preload) and did not want to prejudice my first impression. Eventually, I will take a test ride when I have prepared myself to keep an open mind. I like what I see in the RT-S. This is the Spyder I wanted in the first place, but which was not available. I am inpressed with the way BRP has been reading my mind.

Firefly
11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
:congrats: on getting a ride on the RT.

I knew you would love it and keep your order !

Neez
11-15-2009, 01:52 PM
About the knees, Scotty, it gets a lot better after a little time and, in my case, swimming pool exercises. I had both of mine replaced in August of 2008 and hardly notice the difference anymore. Still a bit slow going down stairs. Riding my SE5 is no problem, any distance. I did install the Kewl Metal peg brackets with Kuryakin Iso pegs. I normaly use the stock pegs, but if I feel any leg cramping starting up, I switch to the Iso peg for a short while. Another little mod that helps quite a bit is to lengthen the brake pedal about 2 inches. I did this with a short piece of flatbar and relocated the rubber pad outboard. This removes the need to twist the knee while braking and, for me, is the cheapest and best mod I have done so far. Best wishes for your full recovery, glad to hear from you again,---
Brian.

fastfraser
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
:2thumbs: I think Scotty just sold another 10 :spyder2:RTS

Some Guy
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice review, Scotty! I got to sit on Lamonster's RT in Gatlinburg, but I haven't been able to test one yet. I keep bugging my dealer to let me know when/where I can test one. :D:2excited:

BumbleBee
11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice review, Scotty! I got to sit on Lamonster's RT in Gatlinburg, but I haven't been able to test one yet. I keep bugging my dealer to let me know when/where I can test one. :D:2excited:

Having a change of heart are we????? :2thumbs:

Test ryde the RT and you are going to order one :D

Roaddog2
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Since Brian already snitched me out, with photos nonetheless, I figured I had better at least say "Hi." Not ready to hang out again on a regular basis, but I want to thank you all for your comments and let you know I am alive and well (with plenty of help from the docs these days).

I test rode the RT today at Nord-Ride Motorsports in Mt. Morris, MI. I did not expect to do anything but gawk, but Brian and Deb set a ride up for me ahead of time. I want to thank them both, and also to thank Frank from Nord-Ride for the opportunity. It was very gracious of him, since it is not my normal dealership, being 120 miles from home. Nice folks and a fine dealership.

I know a lot of you respect my comments, so I would like to tell you about my RT ride. I had considered forfeiting my deposit on the RT for a while, but after today's ride, my purchase is sure to find a home here. My impressions:

The Ride: This thing is smooth and soft! Seems more prone to wallow than the GS/RS with the shocks set the same as ours (3rd notch), especially in an avoidance maneuver, Some may wish to set the shock preload up a notch or two, but remember, this is a touring machine - not a sport-tourer. Soft and easy is what it is made for. I do think I will spend some parking lot time getting used to it first, even after many miles on the Spyder GS/RS. Like Deb said, it's like comparing a Camaro and a Cadillac. It is a different category. I'm looking forward to lots of miles on this baby.

Power: The RT-S is certainly not underpowered. It should do everything it is asked...as long as it is not asked to do it at 3,000 rpm. Seems to like even more revs than the GS/RS. Part of that is the smoothness and the lack of resistance of the throttle. The power comes on so smoothly and effortlessly that it does not kick you in the butt, and requires little conscious effort. It will go faster than you think, way more quickly than you realize. I had to pay close attention to the speedometer. It was easy to go overboard with having a clue. Maybe there will be no reserve, two-up in the mountains, towing a trailer, but it is plenty for my needs...even with a trailer, I'll wager. It's going to look nice towing a vintage bike with Cruisin Dave's trailer or a motorcycle popup camper.

Comfort: The seat was comfortable to me. I'll have to get used to the kick-up behind my bum, but this one didn't bother me like a Goldwing or BMW LT. After I started riding, I forgot it was there. That says a lot for me. The seat itself seems flatter than the comfort seat for the GS/RS, which is fine by me. Less lateral support, but more comfortable to my odd backside. Of course I find the stock GS/RS seat comfortable, which many don't. The passenger seat was nicely supported, and seemed comfortable. The passenger footboards and wide ryder pegs are a nice touch, and easy on the feet. Handlebar position was excellent for my six feet and long arms. The comfort worried me the most up until now, and I am satisfied that I can do 500 mile days, and more, very easily on this...more easily than on my BMW RT.

Fit & Finish: Nicely done! Everything matched and fit well, with no sign of paint flaws. I was very pleased with the Timeless Black. The luggage covers fit well and closed easily and evenly. The trunk latch on this one needed to be adjusted, but they just got it in. Different method of adjustment than the previous model. Could still use a popper spring, but we'll have to invent something different this time. The trunk liner fits much better than the GS/RS, and has convenient zipper access to the fusebox and manual. Overall, there is a quality feel of fit and finish that seems more luxurious than the standard model. There is a nice use of varying textures to enhance the aesthetics, too.

Audio: First I have to say that I have never owned a bike with an audio system, and I am not used to them. This seemed very foreign to me, after years of helmet speakers. I may or may not get used to it. It did seem to work well, but I muted it out after a while. I wish I could comment with some knowledge and experience, but vintage bikes never had these. I will likely continue to just pipe the MP3 player through my existing comm system for a while.

Rider Protection: As has been said, the heat issue on the right foot seems to be completely resolved. No sign of it, although it was a cool day in the fifties, so there was no acid test. The windshield does a good job at both sides and top. Wind noise in my noisy Scorpion EXO700 was almost identical to my BMW RT with a taller Cee Bailey's recurved shield. Very acceptable, and didn't knock my head around. I could only see over the windshield by about two inches (the bare minimum, IMO) in the down position. I looked through it after it was about 25% raised. This may not be acceptable in heavy rain...we'll see. I prefer to peep just above the windshield under those conditions. I will buy a lower shield if they offer one, or might cut the stock one down. Don't know how that will affect rider protection and noise. The deflectors work well, and you notice absolutely no difference in lower airflow with the shield up or down. BRP has obviously spent some time in the wind tunnel with this one. The windshield goes pretty much up and down, the angle doesn't change.

Me: OK, I'm not likely to appear on your order sheet, but I had to comment. My 120 mile ride to see the RT was the farthest I have ridden this year, due to medical problems. I am four days off of spendin three months on the strongest pain meds available, and it was a bit of a chore to ride this far. The new knee hinge hurt noticeably about halfway there, and by one fourth of the way home. I rode my BMW because it feels much better right now than the standard Spyder, which hurts the knee in a few short miles, 10-15 minutes tops. My knee did not even twinge after 15 minutes on the RT-S! I think that says a lot. I did not ride long enough to test my backside, but going for a ride that soon after I got off my Beemer did not reignite the flames. Good ride for a tired old body, in my humble estimation.

Well, there's my two pennies worth. Take a demo ride for yourself soon. It's worth the effort! :thumbup::thumbup:Snitched out Nahh more like a found Loved one.Glad you were able to test one for us :thumbup:

hawkiii
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your report on the RT Scotty. It is good to see you are still sneaking around the site. I'm glad Brian and Deb got you set up for the ride. I get my turn next Wednesday, can't wait. Hope you get to feeling better and drop us a hello once in a while. Your knowledge and insight are always an enjoyable read. Take care.