PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire installed.

SLICE
07-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Got my tire Installed, I had to ''argue'' with the owner that the ''MY tire" was safe.:roflblack:

First 12 miles seam fine no rubbing or faults ( I really hammered some roundabouts).

when the tire cools off I need to get the pressure down to 20 LBS they did not listen to me and set the PSI to Can Am specs of 28 PSI.:banghead:

Yes I was raped at checkout $296-:yikes:

But my tire is on the 3-oz of balance beads are in.

Now I can travel knowing I have 2 ok tires and one awesome one.

One more thing that tire being 10mm taller really fills up that fender.:2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-12-2023, 10:50 AM
Got my tire Installed, I had to ''argue'' with the owner that the ''MY tire" was safe.:roflblack:

First 12 miles seam fine no rubbing or faults ( I really hammered some roundabouts).

when the tire cools off I need to get the pressure down to 20 LBS they did not listen to me and set the PSI to Can Am specs of 28 PSI.:banghead:

One more thing that tire being 10mm taller really fills up that fender.:2thumbs:

Well very happy you finally got this done..... Yes it did cost quite a bit to get it done , but way less than the orig. price for a Crapenda tire :roflblack: ..... However after going thru all this trouble, why did you chose a tire I doubt anyone has ever heard of ???? .... I recommended a Riken Raptor ( which has very good rating & I have and really like ) in the same size and delivered to your door for about $ 98.00 ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:....PS , I found your/this tire on amazonselling for $ 87.93 ( delivered ) ..... hope you got it for a lot less

chipveres
07-12-2023, 11:22 AM
Glad to hear of it. I was a little concerned knowing you have a trip coming up.

Isopedella
07-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Well its done now. :clap:

Easy enough to air it down I guess, once your in position.

Just waiting on the e-bay to deliver my TPMS and will swap my tyre out for a new Kumho thats available here and suited to our road surfaces.
I will get the tyre fitted to the rim and balanced at the shop, but remove and re-fit the wheel assembly myself with the TPMS fitted.

SLICE
07-12-2023, 11:46 AM
Well very happy you finally got this done..... Yes it did cost quite a bit to get it done , but way less than the orig. price for a Crapenda tire :roflblack: ..... However after going thru all this trouble, why did you chose a tire I doubt anyone has ever heard of ???? .... I recommended a Riken Raptor ( which has very good rating & I have and really like ) in the same size and delivered to your door for about $ 98.00 ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:....PS , I found your/this tire on amazonselling for $ 87.93 ( delivered ) ..... hope you got it for a lot less

Yep got mine from amazon, I just posted that original link for the tire long before I ordered it from Amazon.

Dasmoetorhead
07-12-2023, 11:52 AM
Glad you got it done, and there were no further injuries involved except to your wallet ;-)>.
I've always done most if not all of my maintenance. Not just on bikes but everything. Now that I'm 66, I'm letting the younger fellas do some of the harder stuff. I hate paying for something I can do, but it hurts a lot less.

Bfromla
07-12-2023, 12:18 PM

:clap::congrats: enjoy the trip share accordingly :yes &:lecturef_smilie:STAY COOL(some maybe out of order; cool to enjoy trip, ect)

Ex-Rocket
07-12-2023, 01:50 PM

I don't know if you remember or not but I asked you about this tire several months ago, and you said you never heard of it. So I went ahead and got the tire you suggested , the Riken Raptor

mandytuning
07-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Can you post a link for that riken, cant find anywhere.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-12-2023, 02:36 PM
Can you post a link for that riken, cant find anywhere.

Go to Tire rack .... pick " by Brand " ... go to RIKEN ... go to Raptor HR .... pick your size .... DON"T ask anyone any questions .... just pick it and buy it .....Sorry I can't do links ..... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-12-2023, 02:43 PM
I don't know if you remember or not but I asked you about this tire several months ago, and you said you never heard of it. So I went ahead and got the tire you suggested , the Riken Raptor

Well I'm old and forgetful ( sorry )....But I don't recall anyone other than you that ever mentioned the FORCEUM tire. I' m glad you tried the RIKEN .... I recently did a follow-up test report on how well it did at 75 MPH in a downpour ( the VSS never tripped on ) ....... How do you like the Riken ????? .... Mike :thumbup:

MNBK
07-12-2023, 02:59 PM
I followed Mike's guidance and put a Raptor on the back and can only say "holy crap", the handling is phenomenal. I'm an aggressive rider, retired MSF instructor, driving instructor when I worked for the sheriff's office with almost 50 years of riding. All I can say is that this tire can out perform me or the spider.

It also got my speedometer to 1 mph of my GPS.

Thanks Mike.

javajaws
07-12-2023, 07:36 PM
Hmm I might need to look into this tire. I recently put a Vredestrian in the rear and I'm not getting enough traction. Running 19 psi I need to try 17 and see if it helps. If that doesn't do the trick I'm gonna pull it and try something else. Keep in mind pretty much everything on my spyder performance wise has been upgraded....so ymmv if you run stock.

What size raptor are you'll running?

Ex-Rocket
07-12-2023, 07:43 PM
Hmm I might need to look into this tire. I recently put a Vredestrian in the rear and I'm not getting enough traction. Running 19 psi I need to try 17 and see if it helps. If that doesn't do the trick I'm gonna pull it and try something else. Keep in mind pretty much everything on my spyder performance wise has been upgraded....so ymmv if you run stock.

215/60/15

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-12-2023, 11:31 PM

Interesting .... I found and recommend the Vredestein Brand as my top choice. ..... I have heard very few complaints about traction being an issue .... maybe 17 psi will work for you ...... keep us informed .... Mike :thumbup:.... I recently posted about my High speed wet road experience ( like running water on the road surface Wet ) ..... I was impressed with my Riken rear & Q-5 fronts .....

Flier Tuck
07-13-2023, 04:16 AM
Slice, are you aware that for good tire life and performance all manufacturers recommend running in tires at reasonable speeds for around 200 miles or more.

Mikey
07-13-2023, 06:13 AM
Nice looking tire big guy!!!:2thumbs:Was that price for mounting and tire? I found a guy that will break down and balance for a great price, next time wait till your in Maine!!

SLICE
07-13-2023, 07:58 AM
Slice, are you aware that for good tire life and performance all manufacturers recommend running in tires at reasonable speeds for around 200 miles or more.

My speed were reasonable for Florida I was only 25 MPH over the posted limit and being passed...

Florida, GO or get run over.

SLICE
07-13-2023, 07:59 AM
Nice looking tire big guy!!!:2thumbs:Was that price for mounting and tire? I found a guy that will break down and balance for a great price, next time wait till your in Maine!!

That was just for the install, like I said I got raped.

K80Shooter
07-13-2023, 09:03 AM

Interesting .... I found and recommend the Vredestein Brand as my top choice. ..... I have heard very few complaints about traction being an issue .... maybe 17 psi will work for you ...... keep us informed .... Mike :thumbup:.... I recently posted about my High speed wet road experience ( like running water on the road surface Wet ) ..... I was impressed with my Riken rear & Q-5 fronts .....

Also which Vredestrain are you running? I agree with Blueknight911 as all of the Vredestrain's have very good traction ratings.

javajaws
07-13-2023, 12:57 PM
205/60 r15 Quatrac

K80Shooter
07-13-2023, 02:47 PM
205/60 r15 Quatrac

Thats disturbing new's.

CloverHillCrawler
07-13-2023, 03:18 PM
Here is the tire rack link for the Riken Raptor HR ... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Riken&tireModel=Raptor+HR&partnum=06HR5RHR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I have the Quatracs all the way around and are very happy them. I have the 205 60 15 on the back and it has about 20k on it with plenty of tread left and I am a pretty aggressive rider.

CloverHillCrawler
07-13-2023, 03:27 PM
Also which Vredestrain are you running? I agree with Blueknight911 as all of the Vredestrain's have very good traction ratings.

According to the mechanic that did my alignment a couple of months ago after I installed my wilbers was cool with me having car tires on but he said that he felt that the Quatracs had too much of an aggressive tread for the Spyder.

When he had finished up with the alignment he was taking some test drives and didn't like the fact that even though everything was lined up but yet if he let go of the handlebar, the quatracs would follow the crown in the road due to the aggressive tread.

He said on roads with less of a crown it wasn't reacting as much but roads with more steeper crowns it was pulling the spyder right into it and felt a less aggressive tread would solve that problem. I am running 165/60/15 fronts and 205/60/15 rear.

He did a good job on the alignment, I have over 3k on it since he did it and I don't have the wear that I did with the first set of Quatrac's that were on the front.

K80Shooter
07-13-2023, 05:22 PM
According to the mechanic that did my alignment a couple of months ago after I installed my wilbers was cool with me having car tires on but he said that he felt that the Quatracs had too much of an aggressive tread for the Spyder.

When he had finished up with the alignment he was taking some test drives and didn't like the fact that even though everything was lined up but yet if he let go of the handlebar, the quatracs would follow the crown in the road due to the aggressive tread.

He said on roads with less of a crown it wasn't reacting as much but roads with more steeper crowns it was pulling the spyder right into it and felt a less aggressive tread would solve that problem. I am running 165/65/15 fronts and 205/60/15 rear.

He did a good job on the alignment, I have over 3k on it since he did it and I don't have the wear that I did with the first set of Quatrac's that were on the front.

Thanks for this info. I'm about 99% positive that this is the tire that I will install when the time comes.

CloverHillCrawler
07-13-2023, 06:32 PM
You will like them. And they are great in the rain. Until my trip last year I was dreading driving in the rain but with the Quatracs they were like pumps throwing water out of the side of the fenders.

I drove in downpours in the city at 30 and steady rain on the highway at up to 60-65 with a sure grip and no hydroplaning with the exception that the back tire was wanting to come out to the side at times while accelerating uphill through deeper water running off of the hills.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-13-2023, 07:28 PM

He said on roads with less of a crown it wasn't reacting as much but roads with more steeper crowns it was pulling the spyder right into it and felt a less aggressive tread would solve that problem. I am running 165/60/15 fronts and 205/60/15 rear.

IMHO I say "hooey" to your mechanic. ...... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

EdMat
07-13-2023, 08:44 PM
You can have my Vredestein's when you pry my cold dead butt off the seat.

CloverHillCrawler
07-14-2023, 12:44 AM
I didn't say they were bad, I love the grip. I was just pointing out what he had stated and judging by the results that I have received from his work, which has been great. I believe him.

Speaking of resistance from tread .... Now onto the new candidate which I just saw in my Google feed.... The Quatrac Pro EV designed for less resistance...

https://youtu.be/gQglhXh_7Yw

Manufacturer's description
First all-season tyre fully dedicated to electric vehicles.

Quatrac Pro EV is build to better cope with specificities of electric vehicles: higher weight, less noise, same safety standards

Extended range on electric and hybrid vehicles

15% Lower rolling resistance due to advanced compound materials
Designed for heavier EVs: 6% better handling and improved stability while cornering

Higher belt and tread stiffness; asymmetric tread features
No compromise on safety in any weather condition

Severe snow certified; 4% better dry braking

Notable Features

1 label class improvement on rolling resistance thanks to an optimised blend of 4th generation polymer and smart silica in the tread area. This also leads to improved snow performance, combined with a more balanced wet performance.

Updated set of body compounds – new rim cushion, base compound, and carcass compound – to reduce rolling resistance.

Lighter construction – thinner sidewalls, lower apex and leaner belt material and cap ply – all to reduce energy consumption when moving the vehicle.

17% lower environment impact of producing Quatrac Pro EV tyres contributing to lower lifecycle carbon impact.

Higher block stiffness due to sipe position and higher effective sipe length to cope with heavier weight of EVs while cornering. This improves handling stability by 6%.

Asymmetric tread features – like twice-as-steep outside flanks for the two outer longitudinal grooves - to brace against cornering forces for heavy EVs.

Outside shoulder is wider than the inside shoulder to improve dry and wet handling of the heavier EVs while turning.

2 ply construction on “High Load” marked sizes with increased sidewall stiffness to manage 10% higher load carrying (at same pressure).

3PMSF Severe Snow Certified; Full depth sipes enable more deformation of tread block and thus higher winter performance over the lifecycle.

4% better braking due to stiffer blocks and inter-connected bridges on the shoulders.

Higher silica loading in tread compound to retain superior performance on wet roads.

Acoustic comfort from increased number of pitches (both absolute number and different type of pitches) and AI-optimised pitch sequencing. 1 dB lower external noise due to this dampening.

5% better riding comfort due to lighter construction and higher flex zone in the sidewall area.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2023, 08:47 AM
Tire rack has no info on the " PRO EV " ..... they do sell the PRO however only in sizes from 17" thru 22" ..... My comments were directed at / to your mechanic .... not you .....Mike :thumbup:

CloverHillCrawler
07-14-2023, 09:11 AM
Tire rack has no info on the " PRO EV " ..... they do sell the PRO however only in sizes from 17" thru 22" ..... My comments were directed at / to your mechanic .... not you .....Mike :thumbup:

No worries, I knew it was coming. LOL ;)

If I do need a front set in the future. Hopefully I won't for while, I would try these Quatrac Pro ev's out but with the Asymmetric tread features I would only run these on the front and stay with the Quatrac on the back.