PDA

View Full Version : The BRP dealer network screw job.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 08:36 AM
So as soon as the clock struck 9am I started calling all the local dealers to replace my tire.

2 said they would do it but VOID my warranty (nice)

3 have the kenda at $197.00 plus tax and 3 hours to install. (WT Heck:bowdown:)

Boy does BRP and it's craptastic stealership net work have us by the short hairs.

Because I need this tire done before the 16th so I can take my trip to Maine it's going to cost me over $500- for one tire. If I can even find a stealership to get me in.

pegasus1300
07-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Buy a car tire, it's a better deal anyway, and have a local tire store mount it for you, should cost you around $120.00 total, tire and mounting. Most of us have been doing this for years. I will be on my 3rd car tire in a few weeks at 77,000 miles. I ditched the rear Kenda at 10,000 miles.
As to your warranty, the Moss Magnusson Act protects you there. They can only require you to use parts of equal or greater specifaction and they would have to prove the use of that non factory part caused the failure.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Buy a car tire, it's a better deal anyway, and have a local tire store mount it for you, should cost you around $120.00 total, tire and mounting. Most of us have been doing this for years. I will be on my 3rd car tire in a few weeks at 77,000 miles. I ditched the rear Kenda at 10,000 miles.
As to your warranty, the Moss Magnusson Act protects you there. They can only require you to use parts of equal or greater specifaction and they would have to prove the use of that non factory part caused the failure.

You must have missed my post about passing out from the heat when attempting to remove my rear tire on Monday July 3rd.

pegasus1300
07-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Actually no, I didn't miss it, so if you can't do it, you can't do it. But......... it does have to be done. If you are going to sell anyway, forget about the rear tire and sell it with the tire on it as is. Do you have a riding buddy who is mechanical? Can you show him how to do the wheel replacement? Can you put a portable air conditioner near your work area until you finish? Take lots of breaks? I feel your frustration. At 77, 50lbs overweight with multiple health problems, I am facing having to give up riding because I can't find a local dealer to service my Spyder. I never thought that would be my end, DOA because I couldn't do the work anymore and no dealer will because of my Spyder's age. I am going to investigate the above remedies for myself. Good luck with your situation.

Gwolf
07-05-2023, 09:37 AM
Poor design on the Spyders............. won't fit through the exterior doors of most houses, so you can't bring them into the living room to work on them, where it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

In case you are wondering, yes, I am divorced.

Jdr00ejr
07-05-2023, 09:40 AM
In this situation - it's not the "stealerships" - it's BRP Corporate - they will not let the dealers use anything but Kenda. Dealers who have been mentioned doing a car tire online have had serious recourse as a result. it does suck and I feel for those like yourself that doesn't have a better local option.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-05-2023, 10:04 AM
So as soon as the clock struck 9am I started calling all the local dealers to replace my tire.

3 have the kenda at $197.00 plus tax and 3 hours to install. (WT actually F)

Boy does BRP and it's craptastic stealership net work have us by the short hairs.

Because I need this tire done before the 16th so I can take my trip to Maine it's going to cost me over $500- for one tire. If I can even find a stealership to get me in.

" Void your warranty " TOTAL B.S...... they can't legally do that .....the MossMagnussen act prohibits them from doing that .....just say OK go ahead and put my Auto tire on .... that solves your problem ..... Mike :thumbup:

K80Shooter
07-05-2023, 10:41 AM
:agree: The dealer does not have the power to void your warranty. He can refuse to do it though.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 10:56 AM
Actually no,I didn't miss it so if you can't do it you can't do it. But......... it does have to be done. If you are going to sell f anyway forget about the rear tire and sell it with the tire on it as is. Do you have riding buddy who is mechanical? Can you show him how to do the wheel replacement? Can you put a portable air conditioner near your work area until you finish.? Take lots of breaks? I feel your frustration. At 77, 50lbs overweight with multiple health problems, I am facing having to give up riding because I can't find a local dealer to service my Spyder. I never thought that would be my end, DOA becauce I couldn't do the work any more and no dealer will because of Spyder age. I am going to investigate the above remedies for myself. Good luck with your situation.

Sadly all my Friends are back in Massachusetts and South Carolina, I'm an extremely difficult person to get along with (I tell it like it is)

I have not made one friend in the 8 years living here in Florida.

I do not know how to keep my mouth shut, if I think your an A-hole I'm telling you so if your wife/GF has nice _______ I'm telling her.

Yes I have been in a lot of fights over my BIG MOUTH....A lot.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 10:58 AM
" Void your warranty " TOTAL B.S...... they can't legally do that .....the MossMagnussen act prohibits them from doing that .....just say OK go ahead and put my Auto tire on .... that solves your problem ..... Mike :thumbup:
Yes I understand this. They are just refusing to do the job.

:agree: The dealer does not have the power to void your warranty. He can refuse to do it though.

Agree but with nowhere to turn to have the job done before the 16th I need to get the tire done.

Big trip from Florida to Maine.

2dogs
07-05-2023, 11:24 AM

3 have the kenda at $197.00 plus tax and 3 hours to install. (WT actually F)

Go to one of the two that said they'd do it, get it done and don't look back. Good luck on your trip to Maine.

(Here's something I do that helps me at dealership shops, or any shop not just BRP. I look around for a can of soft that may be sitting out on a workbench or somewhere visible. When come back to pick up whatever I dropped off, I leave a 12 pack or more of the same drinks with the shop employees. So happens the BRP tech where I get my work done likes Gatorade. The shop manager likes Diet Pepsi. It's good insurance for good relations and solves a lot of problems before they become problems.)

azprince
07-05-2023, 11:44 AM
I live in a small town in central AZ. I have a BRP UTV dealership.
They mount and balance tires, for me. they have the manuals,
They know the practice of maintaining multiple manufactures products. You can trust them and the factory leaves them alone.
Look around for another shop that sells BRP vehicles. They love $$$

chipveres
07-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Poor design on the Spyders............. won't fit through the exterior doors of most houses, so you can't bring them into the living room to work on them, where it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Wife (motorcycle babe) says bring it through the patio doors.

BajaRon
07-05-2023, 11:58 AM

100% correct. And an outright lie. They know this isn't true. It would be illegal to even attempt it. But they are used to people taking them at their word and walking away.

It is a shame that you can't get the wheel of yourself. That is the linchpin in your quandary as it opens up a host of options. Maybe I understood you wrong. But I thought you found a dealer that would do the work but said it would void the warranty. Since that is absolutely not true, I'd go that way.

Again, I may be wrong. But I thought you already had a Kumo, (or some car tire).

I feel for you. Wish we could help. But here is a thought. East Tennessee is between (and probably on the way) to Maine. Would the tire you have now get you another few hundred miles? We'd have you on your way in short order. And for WAY less than $500.00.

ARtraveler
07-05-2023, 12:03 PM
Sadly, this commentary has become more prevalent on our site.

More and more dealers are finding ways to sell the Spyder, but they seem to go out of their way to avoid any type of warranty service or basic service. Mechanics cost money, training for mechanics cost money. I don't know how they are avoiding the training of mechanics (BRP) sponsored), but most use floor sweepers as oil change jockies, and repair "trainees." A lot of times, a bike brought in for "repairs" or "service" usually ends up sitting around for days and having "glitches" which were not there before.

The Spyder is a technical marvel, but it requires KNOWLEDGEBLE people to work on them. I have a real problem with the "take the money and run" concept of selling that is going on these days.

The future of the product, I think is being weighed in the balances. Look at the lack of innovation in the last few years. The new way of selling--order one and we "might" build it for you. Dealers have mostly empty showrooms.

The litany could go on...but I will stop. :bowdown:

:bbq:

UtahPete
07-05-2023, 12:40 PM
I feel for you. Wish we could help. But here is a thought. East Tennessee is between (and probably on the way) to Maine. Would the tire you have now get you another few hundred miles? We'd have you on your way in short order. And for WAY less than $500.00.

That was my thought, too.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 01:36 PM
100% correct. And an outright lie. They know this isn't true. It would be illegal to even attempt it. But they are used to people taking them at their word and walking away.

It is a shame that you can't get the wheel of yourself. That is the linchpin in your quandary as it opens up a host of options. Maybe I understood you wrong. But I thought you found a dealer that would do the work but said it would void the warranty. Since that is absolutely not true, I'd go that way.

Again, I may be wrong. But I thought you already had a Kumo, (or some car tire).

I seriously thought of that, but the tire is on the wear marks and has been for about 500 miles.

I would risk the trip with just the spare tire but I need gear if I'm going to be gone a month.

Oh and your 740'ish miles away from me.

BajaRon
07-05-2023, 01:51 PM
I seriously thought of that, but the tire is on the wear marks and has been for about 500 miles.

I would risk the trip with just the spare tire but I need gear if I'm going to be gone a month.

Oh and your 740'ish miles away from me.

There are tread blocks, and there are wear bars. Most take the tread blocks (which are taller than the wear bars) for wear bars and change tires too soon. This could be your case.

740 is just a days ride. Piece of cake! Won't take much off your tires. Tires are like brake pads. The more material is lost, the slower they wear.

You could ship the tire to us. Still less expensive in the long run. Or, save that one for another day and we can get one for you.

Not trying to talk you into anything. Just giving you options.

SLICE
07-05-2023, 02:20 PM
There are tread blocks, and there are wear bars. Most take the tread blocks (which are taller than the wear bars) for wear bars and change tires too soon. This could be your case.

740 is just a days ride. Piece of cake! Won't take much off your tires. Tires are like brake pads. The more material is lost, the slower they wear.

You could ship the tire to us. Still less expensive in the long run. Or, save that one for another day and we can get one for you.

Not trying to talk you into anything. Just giving you options.

I'm gonna think this over and talk it out with the Boss Lady, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

jcg4u2000
07-05-2023, 02:21 PM
If you are not to far seminole powersports in orlando will do it quickly

SLICE
07-05-2023, 02:32 PM
If you are not to far seminole powersports in orlando will do it quickly

I won't drive in Orlando in my car, but thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind.

jcg4u2000
07-05-2023, 02:35 PM
Also lucky u cycles in wildwood would do it for you

CopperSpyder
07-05-2023, 04:02 PM
Maybe this will help "click: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?143343-Independent-Spyder-Wrench-in-Polk-County-FL

I think I remember B14 saying they put car tires on for him. I would have to do a search.

javajaws
07-05-2023, 06:26 PM

That didn't stop me from balancing my rear tire indoors though this last weekend! :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-05-2023, 08:14 PM
Yes I understand this. They are just refusing to do the job.

Agree but with nowhere to turn to have the job done before the 16th I need to get the tire done.

Big trip from Florida to Maine.

" they are just refusing to do the job " .... :hun: ....REREAD your post !!! .... you said " they would do the tire change with your tires " ..... BUT SAID THEY WOULD VOID THE WARRANTY ...... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-05-2023, 08:19 PM

:agree: X's 10 ..... You could have the tire shipped from " tire rack " ( or whomever ) to Ron's and He will put it on for you ......JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

Tango
07-05-2023, 09:25 PM
Seminole Powersports is in Sanford, FL., and Eustis, FL.. They will mount your tire for you. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Motorcycledave
07-05-2023, 09:36 PM

3 have the kenda at $197.00 plus tax and 3 hours to install. (WT Heck:bowdown:)

I have Continental car tires on my F3S and I had Michelin tires on 2008 GS never did I have the CanAm dealer install them
the Michelin tires were purchased and installed at CostCo I took the 3 wheels in. they mounted and installed them right there.
as for my F3S The Continentals were purchased installed and balanced at RK CanAm Service center no problem...
Dont buy those crapy tires ftom BRP the car tires will outlast them bigtime

pegasus1300
07-05-2023, 10:41 PM
I have Continental car tires on my F3S and I had Michelin tires on 2008 GS never did I have the CanAm dealer install them
the Michelin tires were purchased and installed at CostCo I took the 3 wheels in. they mounted and installed them right there.
as for my F3S The Continentals were purchased installed and balanced at RK CanAm Service center no problem...
Dont buy those crapy tires ftom BRP the car tires will outlast them bigtime
The problem Dave as I see it, is the heat gets him down and he can't do the work to get the wheel off and back on and has no one close to do it for him.

rjinaz86323
07-05-2023, 11:27 PM
In this situation - it's not the "stealerships" - it's BRP Corporate - they will not let the dealers use anything but Kenda. Dealers who have been mentioned doing a car tire online have had serious recourse as a result. it does suck and I feel for those like yourself that doesn't have a better local option.

You are wrong. It is the dealers. Mine mounted my car tires for me, no problem. I only have them do the rear (remove mount and reinstall) total cost was $108. The fronts I remove myself and take to a local tire shop. I order my tires from Tire Rack.

2dogs
07-06-2023, 01:03 AM
You are wrong. It is the dealers. Mine mounted my car tires for me, no problem. I only have them do the rear (remove mount and reinstall) total cost was $108. The fronts I remove myself and take to a local tire shop. I order my tires from Tire Rack.

I've done exactly the same thing! Works out great. I think my cost for removing, mounting, and reinstalling was $120.

askitee
07-06-2023, 01:20 AM

Thankfully in Australia if a dealership pulled that line we'd have them. Some just cant help but bull***** their way out of a sensible answer.

tntnj
07-06-2023, 06:00 AM
I just called my dealership (Atlantic Power Sports) to replace the rear tire with Yokohama tire, they said no problem bring it in. There has to be a dealer or motorcycle shop near you to replace the tire, make a few phone calls in the AC.

Jdr00ejr
07-06-2023, 08:47 AM

I would count yourself thankful and avoid calling out your dealers name in a public forum then. It's been discussed many times about a dealers getting "smacked" by BRP Corporate for installing anything other than a stock Kenda.

Motorcycledave
07-06-2023, 11:13 AM

I have double front doors on our house I could get it in but it would be tight.... and my head would be sore from my wife hitting me with a ball bat.