PDA

View Full Version : I'm now on the 2nd Vers 2 front sprocket

askitee
06-29-2023, 10:39 PM
Went to the dealership this week to have a wheel alignment and an inspection for an insurance claim. Came back to the bad news that the wheel alignment wasn't done because my Version 2 (or is it 3) of the front sprocket needed replacing and was done under warranty on my '17 RTL. This now makes it my 4th sprocket. Has anyone else had this?

My 2nd sprocket matched the description of the V2 sprocket, and the 3rd was done under the recall, so I don't know if this is a V3 sprocket design or I've received another V2.

An interesting conversation ensued - BRP wants to end the Recall in October this year, but the reaction by dealerships who pointed out supply issues has meant many still haven't been done, and will see it extended. This was all news to me and a bit daunting.

I can't help but wonder if now going to be included in the service schedule - change Oil & Filter, replace air filter, replace front sprocket every 15000 km.......:sour:

Cobwebs
06-29-2023, 11:13 PM
You are joking!!!! :banghead: How long did the recall sprocket last?

askitee
06-29-2023, 11:29 PM
You are joking!!!! :banghead: How long did the recall sprocket last?

I cant recall exactly but around 10 000km's

Cobwebs
06-30-2023, 12:08 AM
Was the loctite cured or did they send you out straight away is the first question that comes to mind?

askitee
06-30-2023, 02:58 AM
Was the loctite cured or did they send you out straight away is the first question that comes to mind?

They have fitted all of them to date, I wouldn't know.

Cobwebs
06-30-2023, 06:31 AM
They have fitted all of them to date, I wouldn't know.
Heaps of people here have stated they rode away without the loctite being cured so going to be interesting to see if this is going to be the biggest waste of time and resources by either incompetent dealers or BRP not being vigilant enough to ensure the job was being done properly.
Of course the replacement sprockets could be junk too regardless of whether loctite was cured or not or you are the unluckiest Spyder owner on the planet.
I don't see this ending well for BRP somehow but time will tell.

acdcking12
06-30-2023, 08:12 AM
I had the original black Sprocket. I ordered and had installed a white sprocket using a mobile mechanic company. That was two years ago. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and all clean. I am not thinking I am going to bother with the recall work.

Ex-Rocket
06-30-2023, 09:45 AM
I had the original black Sprocket. I ordered and had installed a white sprocket using a mobile mechanic company. That was two years ago. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and all clean. I am not thinking I am going to bother with the recall work.

:agree: I have a 2017 F3 Limited and I have check the front sprocket several times and there is no red dust. So I'm thinking if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. I will continue to inspect the sprocket in the future. My Spyder has never been to a dealer as I do all my maintenance myself. I have heard of others that have had the front sprocket replaced have had their output shaft break on them. What has caused them to break I'm not sure, but if heat was used to get the old sprocket off, then they might of weakened the output shaft in doing so.

Peteoz
06-30-2023, 05:06 PM

Just be careful with that approach, acdc. The white sprocket is not the “recall” sprocket. It is the sprocket to reduce whistling on the early ‘20+ models. The “recall” sprocket is silver. If you are on the recall list, and don’t have it done inside the prescribed time period by a dealer, you may struggle at sales time, and have to pay to have it done pre sale as it is a safety issue. Plus there have been a couple of reports of the white sprockets failing, as they are the same as the original black sprockets, but simply with a white coating.

Pete

Partzman23
06-30-2023, 05:37 PM
Askitee, I have a 17 RTL also, I had my front spocket recall done in May 2023.
Mine had the OEM black spocket that came with the Spyder it had a date of 2016 on it.
They put on a silver sprocket (dated 12/22) , I dont understand why you have been
through some many sprockets already. I have 30,000 miles on my Spyder now .

T.P.
07-01-2023, 08:55 AM
THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

RealWing
07-01-2023, 01:01 PM
White sprocket (mfg 03/21) on my 2022 RTL (mfg 05/22)

Cobwebs
07-01-2023, 06:22 PM
THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

I think this is what it boils down to with the information available.
Have BRP assumed dealers know what they are doing and understand the instructions supplied with Loctite so they assume the Spyder will not be ridden for 24 hours after fitting the sprocket.
Dealers only looking at it as the less time spent carrying out the recall the better for the bottom line and happy customers if it can be completed in the same day or hour in some cases.
My dealer had completed several before I booked in and none were left to cure, mine was because thats what I requested.
If someone gets killed by the replacement sprockets failure and it can be shown the bike was ridden away without cure time who is liable ?
Mechanic for not reading Loctite instructions.
Dealer for not reading instructions.
BRP for not stating read the instructions.
Customer for not ensuring instructions were followed.
What would a court of law say.

Peteoz
07-01-2023, 07:08 PM
When/if I get the recall on my ‘21 RT, I’ll be booking a night’s accommodation, Cobwebs, for an enforced, at least 16 hour, cure time. Sure, it will cost a little more, but at least you know the Loctite will be cured, and it’s a great excuse for a night on the town :2thumbs:

Pete

Cobwebs
07-01-2023, 07:49 PM
When/if I get the recall on my ‘21 RT, I’ll be booking a night’s accommodation, Cobwebs, for an enforced, at least 16 hour, cure time. Sure, it will cost a little more, but at least you know the Loctite will be cured, and it’s a great excuse for a night on the town :2thumbs:

Pete

Good move Pete. I explained to the service manager I had 2 Spyders to be recalled and I was 100klm's away. I spelled out the cure time stated on Loctite's website and enquired about a loaner bike.He readily agreed to providing free of charge the loaner and prioritised the work as soon as I dropped the Spyders off to give the full 24 hours cure time for my pickup the following day.Great service but I had to ask for it, it wasn't offered up front.
I believe I've covered my obligations to the best of my knowledge therefore putting the consequences of any further problems arising in the future squarely in the hands of others.

K80Shooter
07-02-2023, 06:56 AM
When my buddy got his replacement sprocket done, we trailered his to the dealership, they done the replacement, we trailered it back home where it sat for a couple of days.

The only time it was driven was onto and off of the trailer.

T.P.
07-02-2023, 04:20 PM
HEY ASKITEE, I think you could clear this up in your mind and ours by posting all of the part numbers off of your dealers paperwork.
Your making claims for sprocket repair 4 times is unheard of and confusing.

I have posted the correct sprocket numbers in an above post and below for the sprocket recall.

COPY OF RECALL SERVICE BULLETIN, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V352-1338.pdf

T.P.

askitee
07-03-2023, 11:17 PM
HEY ASKITEE, I think you could clear this up in your mind and ours by posting all of the part numbers off of your dealers paperwork.
Your making claims for sprocket repair 4 times is unheard of and confusing.

I have posted the correct sprocket numbers in an above post and below for the sprocket recall.

COPY OF RECALL SERVICE BULLETIN, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V352-1338.pdf

T.P.

I don't have the paperwork. I know the 2nd last sprocket replaced was the recall version, the one prior was the white one, and was told by the dealer the sprocket was done again this visit.