PDA

View Full Version : A plea to site Icons and those posting DIY videos. Attention Newbies.

Isopedella
06-24-2023, 12:48 PM
I started responding to a post and decided this should be a thread on its own.

Ready . Steady. Go..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be educational to anybody who cares, or wants to complete shop work with a degree of competency.

Especially Newbie wrenches. Please read on.

Just do it up is total crap advice. ......Period.

And anybody who supports that knows it.

Obtuse comes to mind.

Seems to be prolific on this Spyder site.

Whats that about.

Dontcha Care??

Why?

Many DIY's have no experience of whats tight enough. Why would they?
Not their fault, they dont wrench day in and out.

Is a result things left too lose or up to and sometimes beyond acceptable limits.
If it didn't strip right it may as the part is put to work.

But could be improved on my Megatons.

I have noticed what is missing from almost most Spyder shop work videos is online the use of and the mention of Torques. Yeah me again. Yall got ya ears on????

Why dont you Spyder Blokes wake up and smell the coffee?

Almost any other bike brand and install videos mention Torque Values.

Its important.

I'm not Peter Perfect with wrenching but also not stupid and know and understand different things require different amount of oomph to secure correctly.

Torque. Whats this Bloke on about , read on and learn. Dont know what a Torque value is or why.
https://www.ultratorq.com/in-the-news/why-do-we-torque-bolts-why-bolt-tensioning-safety-is-critical/

I cant get my head around why there seems to be a rip **** and bust mentality , just do it up buddy.

Message to the Site Icons who put up the videos.

Consider that newbie wrenches are viewing your videos.
They have no idea whats remotely correct.

Please consider the above and take a step up and demonstrate a high level of shop competency.

Then give yourself a pat on the back and reflect with the glow of a job well done.

SLICE
06-24-2023, 12:59 PM
I hear Ya, when I did my windshield install I purposely stated torque wrench in INCH POUNDS.

ONE cannot be wrenching and spinning ratchets without using a torque wrench for finale seating of nuts and bolts.

Granted not all fasteners need to be torqued but the importin ones do. Axle/floor boards/ Aux lighting/windshield/Handle bars/Lug Nut's/ brake caliper/Oil filter housing cap/ Drain plugs.

Y'all get the idea.

I wish I had a shop manual for the 2020 + I would sit here and type up all the torque values and post them, the owners manual has a few but not all.

CloverHillCrawler
06-24-2023, 03:18 PM
I hear Ya, when I did my windshield install I purposely stated torque wrench in INCH POUNDS.

ONE cannot be wrenching and spinning ratchets without using a torque wrench for finale seating of nuts and bolts.

Granted not all fasteners need to be torqued but the importin ones do. Axle/floor boards/ Aux lighting/windshield/Handle bars/Lug Nut's/ brake caliper/Oil filter housing cap/ Drain plugs.

Y'all get the idea.

I wish I had a shop manual for the 2020 + I would sit here and type up all the torque values and post them, the owners manual has a few but not all.

I have a pdf of the service manual and here are the general torque values tables, I would have to go into each procedure to get specific torques and document it one by one. These are for the 2020 F3.

Isopedella
06-24-2023, 04:19 PM
I have a pdf of the service manual and here are the general torque values tables, I would have to go into each procedure to get specific torques and document it one by one. These are for the 2020 F3.

Yeah I found that when I was searching for a Torque Value recently for my application.

It was not correct.

This.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?153416-Third-peg-frame-bolt-torque

chipveres
06-24-2023, 05:57 PM
IMHO, Can Am contributes to this problem. Their motto seems to be: Take an elastic stop nut. Smear Loctite on it. Jam it on with an air wrench anyway.

UtahPete
06-24-2023, 06:50 PM
If I understand what this thread is about, OP thinks D-I-Y shop advice is only useful if the one providing the advice about the procedure involved also provides a tutorial on how to properly use a torque wrench and the torque specs involved. Is that about right?

Okay, well that's one opinion on the subject. Not sure why it's under 'spyder general discussion'. :dontknow:

askitee
06-24-2023, 07:49 PM
I started responding to a post and decided this should be a thread on its own.

Ready . Steady. Go..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be educational to anybody who cares, or wants to complete shop work with a degree of competency.

Especially Newbie wrenches. Please read on.

Just do it up is total crap advice. ......Period.

And anybody who supports that knows it.

Obtuse comes to mind.

Seems to be prolific on this Spyder site.

Whats that about.

Dontcha Care??

Why?

Many DIY's have no experience of whats tight enough. Why would they?
Not their fault, they dont wrench day in and out.

Is a result things left too lose or up to and sometimes beyond acceptable limits.
If it didn't strip right it may as the part is put to work.

But could be improved on my Megatons.

I have noticed what is missing from almost most Spyder shop work videos is online the use of and the mention of Torques. Yeah me again. Yall got ya ears on????

Why dont you Spyder Blokes wake up and smell the coffee?

Almost any other bike brand and install videos mention Torque Values.

Its important.

I'm not Peter Perfect with wrenching but also not stupid and know and understand different things require different amount of oomph to secure correctly.

Torque. Whats this Bloke on about , read on and learn. Dont know what a Torque value is or why.
https://www.ultratorq.com/in-the-news/why-do-we-torque-bolts-why-bolt-tensioning-safety-is-critical/

I cant get my head around why there seems to be a rip **** and bust mentality , just do it up buddy.

Message to the Site Icons who put up the videos.

Consider that newbie wrenches are viewing your videos.
They have no idea whats remotely correct.

Please consider the above and take a step up and demonstrate a high level of shop competency.

Then give yourself a pat on the back and reflect with the glow of a job well done.

Damn good advice. What can start out as a simple task to save a few pennies can soon turn into a megabucks trip to the dealership.

Bfromla
06-24-2023, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately lot is lost in the moment, not scripted or possibly edited, People had hard enough time themselves first go round & actually wanna try be helpful for someone else, share some they learned:clap::thumbup::clap:. & these people are bustedknuckle wrenches- not professional actors. Some attempt courtesy & politeness (G -rated) others well...:lecturef_smilie:

Isopedella
06-24-2023, 08:04 PM
Damn good advice. What can start out as a simple task to save a few pennies can soon turn into a megabucks trip to the dealership.

Who will probably wreck it anyway with the Rip **** and Bust Rattle Gun Cowboys Incompetent Techs that seem to be around anything with a Rotax Engine.

Isopedella
06-24-2023, 08:11 PM
If I understand what this thread is about, OP thinks D-I-Y shop advice is only useful if the one providing the advice about the procedure involved also provides a tutorial on how to properly use a torque wrench and the torque specs involved. Is that about right?

Okay, well that's one opinion on the subject. Not sure why it's under 'spyder general discussion'. :dontknow:

Well I looked for a General Wrenching one but its divided into model specific thread.

This covers all models.

eg
BRP BUDS / BUDS2 MPI-3 Diagnostic Scanner 4TEC/ETEC Discussion

F3 Shop Talk
Maintenance & Technical Support for the Can-Am Spyder F3, F3-S, F3-T & F3 Limited (Sport Cruising & Touring) Motorcycle.

Ryker Shop Talk
Maintenance & Technical Support for the Can-Am Ryker Rally (Recreational) Motorcycle.

GSS & RS Shop Talk
(15 Viewing)

Maintenance & Technical Support for the Can-Am Spyder GS & RS (Sport) Motorcycle.

Spyder RS-S 2011 SE5 - Low... Go to last post

Maintenance & Technical Support for the Can-Am Spyder RT (Touring) Motorcycle.

ST Shop Talk
Maintenance & Technical Support for the Can-Am Spyder ST (Sport Touring) Motorcycle.

ACE 1330 Shop Talk
Maintenance & Technical discussions for the ACE 1330 platform (Engine, Drive Train etc.).

Ryker drive train Go
Maintenance & Technical

Cobwebs
06-24-2023, 08:56 PM
I feel bad for the newbies who have to start somewhere and haven't commited to that expensive box of tools yet. Best to have at least tried rather than be a slave to the dealer. Fear not I have the answer unaccurate ones, by way of revenge, a way to stump Iso (a self confessed computer luddite) I present to you...................ta da !!! the computerised torque wrench.