PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Spyder

3wheeldemon
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I have been having a crappy time at work, being in a really bad mood. I also did not feel like posting too much, the negativity of last month and Scotty hiatus hit me hard, as he was so helpful to me so many times. (I am the kid on this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=156831&postcount=20 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=156831&postcount=20) )

Last night I took a long ride in my Spyder, going nowhere for two hours around the industrial areas of Houston, weather was nice and my Spyder was purring as good as ever. I felt so much better when I came back! The fact that you get the same rejuvenating feeling of freedom that you get in a bike, while being more relaxed to ride, especially at night, is something unique of the Spyder.

I feel a lot better today. I guess the t-shirt is right “You don’t see a motorcycle parked in the psychiatrist office”.

Anybody else use his/her Spyder as “mechanical shrink”?

3WD

Some Guy
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM

3WD
Heck yeah! It's a whole lot cheaper and more fun that a human shrink! :yes:

My dog is also better and a human shrink...heck, she's better than most humans I know! :D

Texmac1011
11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
When my wife is feeling out of sorts, I stick a helmet on her head and take her away for a couple of hours. She is a different woman when we get home!

shansmow
11-11-2009, 09:59 AM
All the time and there ain't nothing wrong with it. Kinda hard to get road rage when pretty much everyone around you could squash you so the rydes always mellow me out. Keep ryding!
Maybe someone should have put that MAJ from Hood on a Spyder for a good long ryde but I won't go any further with that thought.

WaltH
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I do a mental health ride almost every day.

Tom in NM
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Motorcycles have always had that effect on me too.

A long, long time ago, in a State far, far away (Michigan) . . . . I was a teacher - highly rewarding and equally stressful and "crappy". A couple days after the Summer break had started, I experienced a horrific & devastating loss. I felt like I was two people, an operating shell the world saw and another sitting in a dark corner sobbing 'nothing will ever be the same'. And of course it never would be the same, never is.

I got on my motorcycle for a ride and I just kept going - for about 2 months. I think I had about $40 in my pocket when I started out. Pentwater, Ludington, Manistee, Platte Lake, Kalkaska, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Beaver Island, Mackinaw City. I waited on tables, cut grass, picked strawberries, cleaned barns, washed dishes and cars, dug trenches, groomed cherry orchards, and worked road-side produce stands. I slept outside, mostly. I bought a little tent and cheap sleeping bag, sometimes I set up in peoples backyards, usually on a beach or shore, maybe an apple orchard. Several times, people invited me in and I got to spend the night in a spare bedroom or on a couch. It wasn't kindness, nobody knew me or what put me on the road - it was just that mid-West openness that you can find all over the world.

When I got back, I was better. Nothing was the same and it never is. The loss was still with me, but the despair was gone, left somewhere on the backroads of Western Michigan.

It has been a lot of years, all the faces and events blend together now - but the ride - the motorcycle - the roads, the memories all come back in flashes when I am riding my Spyder. Maybe it is my age, but no other motorcycle I have ever owned has ever triggered those memories. I don't know what it is about the Spyder that does that, but I will always be thankful for all the new roads it has opened up and the revival of those special ones from the past. No wonder I spend so much time on it.

Tom

SPYDERGUY1
11-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I also use my spyder as well as me beloved dog ( oreo ) to calm the savage beast and get my head straight. it is amazing what different things can do for a person. if only I had the spydy here, could take my mind off this freaking toothache ( spydy in shop ) to fix recall issues......:(

boborgera
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I come up with some of my best idea's when i ride my Spyder, But the problem i have is that when i finish the ride i forget my idea's. So i have to just get back on and ride again and again. I'm running out of idea's so i better get riding now.

jima1153
11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
They are "instant therapy" (as all bikes are). That's another reason I ordered a second one so my daughter can enjoy that freedom sensation along side me. Can't wait for the RT-S to arrive. :2thumbs:

GA-SPYDER
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Motorcycles have always had that effect on me too.

A long, long time ago, in a State far, far away (Michigan) . . . . I was a teacher - highly rewarding and equally stressful and "crappy". A couple days after the Summer break had started, I experienced a horrific & devastating loss. I felt like I was two people, an operating shell the world saw and another sitting in a dark corner sobbing 'nothing will ever be the same'. And of course it never would be the same, never is.

I got on my motorcycle for a ride and I just kept going - for about 2 months. I think I had about $40 in my pocket when I started out. Pentwater, Ludington, Manistee, Platte Lake, Kalkaska, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Beaver Island, Mackinaw City. I waited on tables, cut grass, picked strawberries, cleaned barns, washed dishes and cars, dug trenches, groomed cherry orchards, and worked road-side produce stands. I slept outside, mostly. I bought a little tent and cheap sleeping bag, sometimes I set up in peoples backyards, usually on a beach or shore, maybe an apple orchard. Several times, people invited me in and I got to spend the night in a spare bedroom or on a couch. It wasn't kindness, nobody knew me or what put me on the road - it was just that mid-West openness that you can find all over the world.

When I got back, I was better. Nothing was the same and it never is. The loss was still with me, but the despair was gone, left somewhere on the backroads of Western Michigan.

It has been a lot of years, all the faces and events blend together now - but the ride - the motorcycle - the roads, the memories all come back in flashes when I am riding my Spyder. Maybe it is my age, but no other motorcycle I have ever owned has ever triggered those memories. I don't know what it is about the Spyder that does that, but I will always be thankful for all the new roads it has opened up and the revival of those special ones from the past. No wonder I spend so much time on it.

Tom
Hey Tom,
You are saying alot of things here lately that are kind of hitting home with me also. Your thoughts on friends and also this thread.

Keep up the sage advice,
Carl

Smylinacha
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I have some perks on my job working in the area I work in over there but basically it's crappy. Only thing that keeps me going is the laughs with the girls and us making fun of the Way High Ups On The Pole because it gets us through the day.

I can't really ride after work, I come home and have stuff to do at home or I have school (which will end soon cuz I dropped out - YAY)! Can't take that anymore.

But when we get a nice weekend day, I will actually get up early and we head out. Motorcycling with our friends takes us out of here - far away from work, from home and mundane chores, from family that can easily get on your nerves, from homework, from you name it! Told HDX once it starts snowing, we gotta take the car out more places - like go the same hangouts in the winter but in the car. Just a real nice escape. I live for the weekends - pretty much all I have are Sundays to breathe.

truck 85
11-11-2009, 09:47 PM
i now am learning that on the spyder is good for my sole if the wether is bad i feel bad becuse i know i can not ride. I think that the solses is in the fact that i have no raido or i pod i can just be alone with my thoughts some times good some times bad but i allways feel better when i get home:yes:

truck 85
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I come up with some of my best idea's when i ride my Spyder, But the problem i have is that when i finish the ride i forget my idea's. So i have to just get back on and ride again and again. I'm running out of idea's so i better get riding now.

:agree:what he said :2thumbs:

glynnk
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Yepper...I always feel better after a ride! See ya Saturday?

Glynnk

QuadManiac
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM

3WD

Hell yes! And the $35 copay (that I don't have to shell out) puts a lot of gas in the Spyder's tank.

SpyderGirl
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I'd rather shell out the $$ for the gas for a ride then for a shrink for sure. Riding does a body good.... wait.... yeah, that's right. :doorag:

retread
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Been thinking about this; the bike I had at the time is one of the big reasons my first wife is still alive. Since my second wife died, my Spyder is THE biggest reason I am.

john