PDA

View Full Version : Sport Rack Warrenty Issue

Jeffsm69
11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I bought my Spyder new at the end of July 09, when I had it to the dealer for the first service in August, I purchased the sport rack and backrest and the dealer installed them on the bike. Anyway, I had to take the Spyder in Saturday for the ground wire recall and before leaving, I removed the backrest and put the sport rack cover on only to have the cover ear and pin sheer off. I took the part to the dealer and showed them, they said no problem, it was a defect. Today, I get a call from the dealer saying BRP is refusing to replace the cover under warrenty. WTF, it's not even 3 months old, so I called BRP and complained, in turn they contacted the dealer for more information and pics of the damaged part, still waiting for a response from BRP Technical Support. Any other options on getting this resolved?

Don in E Texas
11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Same problem here. The backrest is made heavy duty, while the sport cover is not. I'll just get my friend at the body shop to fix it - don't want another thin, flimsy replacement.

don

shunkmanitu
11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Dealer said BRP originally blamed "improper closing" or some such excuse. Appearently my C-clip came off and let the pin slip and twist off the tab. I ran a similar sized bolt through to the brokken tab, tightened it down, and Gorilla Glued it. Stronger than the original.

ddeyle
11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
BRP replaced both the rack and backrest for me. The dealer did have to send BRP the broken parts. It took about 10 days.

Jeffsm69
11-11-2009, 08:14 PM
BRP replaced both the rack and backrest for me. The dealer did have to send BRP the broken parts. It took about 10 days.

Well, after calling customer support and filing a complaint, I got an instant response by phone from BRP Tech Support, they asked me to contact the dealer again and have them call, then they wanted pictures of the broken cover, still looks like new, I've only used it twice. Now I'm waiting for Tech Support to make a decision before the dealer sends the part back.

draboo
11-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Mine broke too. The circlip came off, pin slipped sideways and out of the hole, and snapped the ear off.

I leave the back rest on all the time now.

BajaRon
11-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Mine broke too. The circlip came off, pin slipped sideways and out of the hole, and snapped the ear off.

I leave the back rest on all the time now.

Sounds like a design flaw.... No.... Couldn't be anything like that! :yikes:

The bolt replacement sounds like the way to go.:thumbup:

Jeffsm69
11-12-2009, 05:48 PM
BRP called the dealer today to have the Rack cover shipped back to replace under warrenty, this is obviously a design flaw. I wonder if they'll come up with a permanent fix?

BajaRon
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
BRP called the dealer today to have the Rack cover shipped back to replace under warrenty, this is obviously a design flaw. I wonder if they'll come up with a permanent fix?

Looks like I'm finally going to upgrade to the BRP Backrest and Rack as soon as it arrives. Planning on getting my wife on the back for a ride.

I'm only going to get 1 chance with her and it has to be good.

All you lady riders out there, how about some advise. What do you think, should I try to keep my speed in the double digits, at least to the end of the driveway? :roflblack:

Roaddog2
11-12-2009, 09:49 PM
4 Words Made In Viet Nam but will say mine is hanging in 20k no problems except hard instructions bad photocopy and didn't now about Spyderlovers at time of install :(

dltang
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Looks like I'm finally going to upgrade to the BRP Backrest and Rack as soon as it arrives. Planning on getting my wife on the back for a ride.

I'm only going to get 1 chance with her and it has to be good.

All you lady riders out there, how about some advise. What do you think, should I try to keep my speed in the double digits, at least to the end of the driveway? :roflblack:

My Advice Ron, get her one of her own...LOL:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
11-12-2009, 10:23 PM

:agree: Been there, done that, and its all good! :2thumbs:

Roaddog2
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
My Advice Ron, get her one of her own...LOL:2thumbs:+1 :agree:

BajaRon
11-13-2009, 12:31 AM

I guess I asked for this.... 3 replies and all the same!

Not what I was looking for!

Maybe she can borrow Lamont's, he won't need it with the RT showing up soon... :yes:

rnet
11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Unless you have a young, petite wife, you better have passenger peg extensions.

Don in E Texas
11-13-2009, 09:30 AM
"you better have passenger peg extensions."

I agree. Plus don't go over 35 MPH --- the poor passenger gets blasted by air flow as the passenger sits very high. My wife was spoiled by our Goldwing's passenger riding position and does not care to ride any long distance on the Spyder. I know others have made very long trips riding two-up with no issues.

YMMV

don

sabunim5
11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I guess I asked for this.... 3 replies and all the same!

Not what I was looking for!

Maybe she can borrow Lamont's, he won't need it with the RT showing up soon... :yes:
OK here is some real advice. Get someone to take you for a ryde on the back of your Spyder.Then you will know what she is going to experience. It is more work to be a passenger on the Spyder than it is on a 2 wheeler. Quick turns at even low speeds can make your butt pucker right now if you don't have a good grip on the passenger grab rails. The Spyder can be all day comfortable for the passenger, if it is set up right. The back rest is the first step. Unless the passenger is short, they are going to want peg extenders for longer rydes. Being able to talk to each other is key for my wife and I, but an intercom is a little pricey for a test ride. I don't know which windshield you have or how tolerant your SO is of wind. Get on the back yourself. That will tell you what you need to know. If it wasn't for my wife needing a new hip, I (we) never would have discovered the Spyder. Having that special person with you can sure take Spyder ryding to the next level. Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

aubierules
11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
OK here is some real advice. Get someone to take you for a ryde on the back of your Spyder.Then you will know what she is going to experience.
good advice!:thumbup:

wolfshead1
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
10 years in development my a**.

BajaRon
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Would Passenger Peg extensions be cheaper then getting another Spyder? :roflblack:

But I agree, I do need to get peg extensions. So which ones work the best?:dontknow:

groundeffect
01-12-2010, 09:36 AM

Glad they sorted it out under warranty for you.

I'm looking at getting the adjustable backrest and sport rack (sport rack is required to mount the backrest).

Does anyone know if the backrest/sport rack has been upgraded (quality of the parts) so that these breaks/cracks no longer occur?

Any news on this would be helpful.
Thank you.

jrbloise
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I recommend the passenger pegs from Tony Fisher. He sells them on E-Bay. I got the set for $165.00 that included the piece that will lower the stock pipe. Wife is very happy now.

Smylinacha
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Try ryding on the back when the hubby decides to do a burnout on it :2thumbs:. It only hurt for a second!:thumbup:

I agree. Plus don't go over 35 MPH --- the poor passenger gets blasted by air flow as the passenger sits very high. My wife was spoiled by our Goldwing's passenger riding position and does not care to ride any long distance on the Spyder. I know others have made very long trips riding two-up with no issues.

YMMV

don

Jeffsm69
01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Glad they sorted it out under warranty for you.

I'm looking at getting the adjustable backrest and sport rack (sport rack is required to mount the backrest).

Does anyone know if the backrest/sport rack has been upgraded (quality of the parts) so that these breaks/cracks no longer occur?

Any news on this would be helpful.
Thank you.

Yes, they replaced the entire rack. BRP has not made any improvements to the pin, the c-clip falls off causing the pin to pop out and shears the ear off.

txknight67
01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes, they replaced the entire rack. BRP has not made any improvements to the pin, the c-clip falls off causing the pin to pop out and shears the ear off.

Since I don't have my bike at the moment to go check I'll ask, can one get to that c-clip without removing the sport rack?

Jeffsm69
01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Since I don't have my bike at the moment to go check I'll ask, can one get to that c-clip without removing the sport rack?

Yes, it's actually part of the lid, same as the backrest attachment, other members have replaced this pin with a bolt and nut.

Degaman
01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
The lid for my sport rack was delivered with the peg hole broken. I just set it aside and leave the backrest on all of the time.

M2Wild
01-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Cheap azz pot metal. Hate it when these people cut corners and still sell them for top dollars.

rnet
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
So mine just backrest broke yesterday in the same manor, missing clip and ear broke off. I would say flaw in both the clips and the thin pot metal holding that pin. (1/8" of pot metal around the pin) Took mine back to the dealer today and he was going to give me a new one he had there, but there was no change to this one. I asked he order me a new one hoping BRP had a fix by now. So I will see.

SpyderWolf
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
So mine just backrest broke yesterday in the same manor, missing clip and ear broke off. I would say flaw in both the clips and the thin pot metal holding that pin. (1/8" of pot metal around the pin) Took mine back to the dealer today and he was going to give me a new one he had there, but there was no change to this one. I asked he order me a new one hoping BRP had a fix by now. So I will see.

Let us know what you find out. Both of our Spyders have the back rests and I would like to know the resolution for just in case. At least it sounds like your dealer is willing to take care of you, which is a very good thing.

rnet
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Got my new backrest on sat. and they are still made the same way. It was warrantied.

SpyderWolf
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Got my new backrest on sat. and they are still made the same way. It was warrantied.

Glad to hear the warranty took care of it. That gives me a little piece of mind now. Thanks for the update.

05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you all seem to have experience with backrests, so I beg your indulgence. I am looking for a backrest for 2333, and am considering the one from Mels. Have any of you seen or tried this backrest? I kind of like the fact that the original tail piece stays in place when the backrest is removed, but I just don't know.......

dltang
05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you all seem to have experience with backrests, so I beg your indulgence. I am looking for a backrest for 2333, and am considering the one from Mels. Have any of you seen or tried this backrest? I kind of like the fact that the original tail piece stays in place when the backrest is removed, but I just don't know.......

Rando got his backrest there, here is the thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10084&highlight=backrest

rnet
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you all seem to have experience with backrests, so I beg your indulgence. I am looking for a backrest for 2333, and am considering the one from Mels. Have any of you seen or tried this backrest? I kind of like the fact that the original tail piece stays in place when the backrest is removed, but I just don't know.......I saw some of Mel's stuff at Americade last year and it wasn't up to my standards, however I set the bar pretty high. Now as far as the BRP backrest, there is a weak link in that, but it is easy to take care of if you know about the problem. It is adjustable and when remove there is a piece that goes where you removed the backrest. It's part of the sport rack that you have to purchase to install the backrest, so it is also expensive, but I have heard no complaints about comfort. I can't comment on Mel's backrest, cause I haven't tried it.