PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions about this Road noise? Is it Serious?

seagravesg
06-07-2023, 03:07 PM
Experiencing whining or 'whirring' noise at highway speeds 40 - 60 mph. Sporadic but noticeable when occurring; and, not all the time. Does not seem to be related to throttle action except to get to mentioned speeds.
Could drive belt be making the sporadic noise; tires w/~11k miles; certain road surface conditions; ??
no other symptoms noticed like thumping, bumpiness, wobbles, etc. Any suggestions? Not a problem but noticeable and would like to head off anything serious if possible?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2023, 03:28 PM
Experiencing whining or 'whirring' noise at highway speeds 40 - 60 mph. Sporadic but noticeable when occurring; and, not all the time. Does not seem to be related to throttle action except to get to mentioned speeds.
Could drive belt be making the sporadic noise; tires w/~11k miles; certain road surface conditions; ??
no other symptoms noticed like thumping, bumpiness, wobbles, etc. Any suggestions? Not a problem but noticeable and would like to head off anything serious if possible?

Annnnnnnnnnnnd this has been going on for how long ????? ......Mike :thumbup:

bigbadbrucie
06-07-2023, 03:35 PM
I have the same noise , at a different speed, and I don’t KNOW FOR SURE but I think it is just belt harmonics. Different tension on the belt changes what speed is affected. Mine occurs in the 20 to 30 mph range, and no, I don’t know what the tension on my RTS is.

K80Shooter
06-07-2023, 04:20 PM
It's the belt/pulley. There are several threads about this issue on here.
With the new body style, the noise seemed to be noticed a lot more than before.

BRP did come out with a white pulley to correct this but I cant say whether it worked or not.

I got mine stopped by adjusting the belt tracking and tension.

sledge
06-07-2023, 07:43 PM

i was having same sounds at about same speeds , and mine was Drive Belt Tension , it was way too tight , I tightened it too tight because I didn't have a gauge to know how tight it was. i bought a Krikit and started about 180 lbs best I remember , slowly loosened it little by little , as it slowly got better.... and mine is set on 150 I think now , very little to no sound at all.

Navydad
06-08-2023, 08:42 AM
My 2015 RT got quieter after the pulley recall was completed. Belt tension and alignment are the same as before the recall so the new pulley does help.

Quickdraw
06-08-2023, 08:56 AM
Had that issue as well. Known issue that requires a sprocket replacement. I also added a belt tensioner since mine didn't come with one ('21 RT).

BamaJohn
06-08-2023, 09:19 AM
My 2020 Spyder RT sounded like the proverbial Banshee around 45-53mph. Late last year Can Am replaced the front sprocket, bolt, and belt as warranty. It helped a lot, but I'm conditioned to still hear it, so I play some tunes over my helmet comms.....Seriously, it's not an issue now. :thumbup: