PDA

View Full Version : Got My Spyder back tonight

Smylinacha
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Picked it up at the dealer tonight. New DPS and they test rode it today with no problems. I'm happy to get my bike back but not sure if this is the fix for all the steering issues out there. So far it worked going home.

I can't say enough for my dealer - he always does a great job. He had planned on getting the bike back on Saturday but there was a shipping mishap. I'm also thankful to Kurt who came to check it out.

No answers yet on what is causing all these steering issues but I'm hearing that BRP is all over this. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

So yeah I was livid about the shipping problem and I'm hoping that maybe BRP can maybe straighten their act out w/ the little things. Because sometimes little things can go far w/ a customer.

rnet
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, if its nice this weekend let's celebrate and go for a ride.

DynamoBT
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Congrats on the return of your Spyder. This hasn't been a smooth road for you up till now. I hope things go better from here on out.

SpyderWolf
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear you got it back, and am hoping for the best from here on out with it.

RoadHammer
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey, Thats great news :congrats:

I have a feeling you'll be riding mega this weekend:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I just hope it all gets resolved for everyone on here who has been down the scary steering road:thumbup: If it's nice - you bet I'm ryding this weekend!

Some Guy
11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
The background pics are a little blurry. So...I'm guessing the middle pic is Kim and the pic on the left is HDX! Interesting way of hiding in plain sight!!!
:roflblack:

Anyway...I'm glad you have your baby back! :D

Smylinacha
11-09-2009, 09:12 PM
YouTube- Put On A Happy Face (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEOmND0n-BY)

:D :roflblack: :ohyea:

Come'on! You're gonna ruin that Yellinacha name that I worked very hard to earn in here! Troublemaker!

ataDude
11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Picked it up at the dealer tonight. New DPS and they test rode it today with no problems. I'm happy to get my bike back but not sure if this is the fix for all the steering issues out there. So far it worked going home.

I can't say enough for my dealer - he always does a great job. He had planned on getting the bike back on Saturday but there was a shipping mishap. I'm also thankful to Kurt who came to check it out.

No answers yet on what is causing all these steering issues but I'm hearing that BRP is all over this. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

So yeah I was livid about the shipping problem and I'm hoping that maybe BRP can maybe straighten their act out w/ the little things. Because sometimes little things can go far w/ a customer.

:2thumbs:

northramp
11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Should be 55-60 this weekend and sunny in Ct. on the long range .
Glad to see u got ur ride back.
BTW Kurt is the best . When mine was down and was the first to exhibit the problem which was fixed by the ground wire repositioning , he took a really personal interest in getting me back on the road ..

:clap::clap:

Smylinacha
11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Not if everyone could see the finger you were showing me when you clicked that Youtube link.........:2thumbs:

:cus::thumbup:

Longlegs
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Guess were not gonna get to see it escalate to cussinacha, but thats good. I sure hope we get this behind us soon. How long was yours gone? Mine is pushin a month now. Still concerned though.

dltang
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Ride it and enjoy it Kim. Take full advantage of any days you have left

Roaddog2
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Ok, if its nice this weekend let's celebrate and go for a ride.:agree::agree:

draboo
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Not if everyone could see the finger you were showing me when you clicked that Youtube link.........:2thumbs:

I felt that digit all the way out here in Seattle. I know that feeling anywhere. I get that feeling(plus the visual) alot.

Does Smylie have any relatives that hail from Upper MI?? :D

Firefly
11-10-2009, 02:33 AM
:congrats:

czdaryle
11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Happy you got your bike back:congrats:. Did they say what is different with this DPS that will stop your steering problem from coming back? or is it the same one just new, as yours was defective?

vendit
11-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Glad to hear you got your bike back. It sounds like you at lest have a good dealer and mechanic. Be thankful for that! Many people don't, including me.
I have gotten the 2nd update done, and it has cleared up the surging/hesitation issues. I am happier with the way mine is finally running now. :clap:

BajaRon
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey! That's great news!

Ride and Enjoy...the pain will fade quickly.

Tom in NM
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Take full advantage of any days you have left

. . . . . excellent advice for life.

I'm glad you are back on the road. :thumbup:

Tom

Dragonrider
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Great news Kim!! We're all hoping this is the ultimate fix for you!!

Enjoy your ride - those of us in the great NorthWet will be envious...

wyliec
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Happy you got your bike back:congrats:. Did they say what is different with this DPS that will stop your steering problem from coming back? or is it the same one just new, as yours was defective?

Two excellent questions that need to be answered.

If they can't be answered, then Roaddog had it right the other day when he made mention of the Kevorkian approach to fixing the spyder's with steering problems.

In any case, I hope your spyder is permanently fixed, Smylinacha.

pitmon
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Congrats! Hope mine will be fixed soon too. :congrats:

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Guess were not gonna get to see it escalate to cussinacha, but thats good. I sure hope we get this behind us soon. How long was yours gone? Mine is pushin a month now. Still concerned though.

Cussinacha LOL! I like it!

Well it wasn't ridden except for once (short ride) when I got home from the BBQ so except for the short ride, it was down for around 4 weeks also - maybe 5, I cant' remember. Home and then in the shop for 2 weeks. 2 weeks. First week Kurt came out and test rode it and they ordered the part and that took a little over a week to order.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Not sure if anything is different w/ it. My old one could have just sh*t the bed or maybe it was something that happened after the 1st update (wondering if it's 1st update that did it). But they said they are looking into finding an answer. I'm sure we'll all know something at some point.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I hope so for you too! I didn't get codes all those codes though so wondering why everyone who has steering issues some get codes and some don't - that is the part I don't understand.

And it's more of an 08 issue too so what makes the 08 different than the 09?

Congrats! Hope mine will be fixed soon too. :congrats:

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear you got your bike back. It sounds like you at lest have a good dealer and mechanic. Be thankful for that! Many people don't, including me.
I have gotten the 2nd update done, and it has cleared up the surging/hesitation issues. I am happier with the way mine is finally running now. :clap:

Yep - got an awesome dealer and mechanic. There are two dealers near me and I am so glad I bought mine from the one I bought mine from! Not that I heard anything bad about the other dealer but I can tell that my dealer is a true gear head and he has taken every BRP course there is on every BRP product he sells and he is constantly in the loop with things.

Glad your sputtering and your surging is gone!

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Two excellent questions that need to be answered.

If they can't be answered, then Roaddog had it right the other day when he made mention of the Kevorkian approach to fixing the spyder's with steering problems.

In any case, I hope your spyder is permanently fixed, Smylinacha.

Really wasn't a Kevorkian issue. He came, he rode and they HAD the other DPS all ready to put in and it didn't work so nothing he could have done but to go to the next dealership while we waited for ANOTHER DPS to be shipped. So basically the first new DPS was bad from the start. The one they just put in is another new one.

This bike is so complex I think there's gonna be lots of questions on lots of things - who knows what it is - dps, ecm, software - so much to look at.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Should be 55-60 this weekend and sunny in Ct. on the long range .
Glad to see u got ur ride back.
BTW Kurt is the best . When mine was down and was the first to exhibit the problem which was fixed by the ground wire repositioning , he took a really personal interest in getting me back on the road ..

:clap::clap:

I am seeing sunshine for Sunday - hope that storm doesn't come up here!

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm hoping for some global warming in the Northeast this winter!:2thumbs:

Any word on your Spyders yet?

Ride it and enjoy it Kim. Take full advantage of any days you have left

RoadHammer
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Didnt somebody mention that their steering issue went away when the ground wire was rerouted somewhere else?

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Didnt somebody mention that their steering issue went away when the ground wire was rerouted somewhere else?

I dont' remember but if you can locate that post that would be interesting. Ground wires, magnetic fields? Maybe all we need is some invisible force field to keep us all outta trouble!

ataDude
11-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I dont' remember but if you can locate that post that would be interesting. Ground wires, magnetic fields? Maybe all we need is some invisible force field to keep us all outta trouble!

:D

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2009/07/weekend_diversion_i_am_alterin/darth-vader.jpg

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
:2thumbs:

:D

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2009/07/weekend_diversion_i_am_alterin/darth-vader.jpg

PCBeachBum
11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Yep - got an awesome dealer and mechanic. There are two dealers near me and I am so glad I bought mine from the one I bought mine from! Not that I heard anything bad about the other dealer but I can tell that my dealer is a true gear head and he has taken every BRP course there is on every BRP product he sells and he is constantly in the loop with things.

Glad your sputtering and your surging is gone!

Glad to hear you got your bike back.

When they decided to replace my power steering unit, they said it would take 3 days to get the part in. It actually took 6 days and I got a call from Leo my service rep to come pick this thing up on a Friday. I picked it up Saturday morning and can say that after having the DPS recall done, it didn't change the steering one bit, It was still hard to steer.

What I think about more and more was after having the recall done and getting "Check DPS" scrolling across my screen, they sent me on my way and told me to bring it in the following week. I never got the chance after the steering locked up, the dealer came and got it. Next time I'll know better and just leave it there.

Since having the new power steering unit put in, I've gone about 800 miles without a problem (Knock on Wood) The dealer sent the original unit back to BRP, so they could take it apart and inspect it. Hopefully they will get a better idea as to what is causing all these steering problems.

Smylinacha, this is the second time I've written this. Last night just as I was going to post it, our cable went out from the storm. No Internet, No Cable TV, No Phone and I now know how the Castaway's felt on Gilligan's Island. I did have a motorcar though.

Cleaning up the yard I did stumble on the cable to the house. Half was in my yard and the other half to the pole, was across the street.

Hope you guys get to ride ths weekend. Its still stormy here and where it goes from here, I haven't clue as long as it goes.:clap:

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok, if its nice this weekend let's celebrate and go for a ride.

Sent you a p.m. - interested in Hillsdale Diner on Sunday?

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear you got your bike back.

When they decided to replace my power steering unit, they said it would take 3 days to get the part in. It actually took 6 days and I got a call from Leo my service rep to come pick this thing up on a Friday. I picked it up Saturday morning and can say that after having the DPS recall done, it didn't change the steering one bit, It was still hard to steer.

What I think about more and more was after having the recall done and getting "Check DPS" scrolling across my screen, they sent me on my way and told me to bring it in the following week. I never got the chance after the steering locked up, the dealer came and got it. Next time I'll know better and just leave it there.

Since having the new power steering unit put in, I've gone about 800 miles without a problem (Knock on Wood) The dealer sent the original unit back to BRP, so they could take it apart and inspect it. Hopefully they will get a better idea as to what is causing all these steering problems.

Smylinacha, this is the second time I've written this. Last night just as I was going to post it, our cable went out from the storm. No Internet, No Cable TV, No Phone and I now know how the Castaway's felt on Gilligan's Island. I did have a motorcar though.

Cleaning up the yard I did stumble on the cable to the house. Half was in my yard and the other half to the pole, was across the street.

Hope you guys get to ride ths weekend. Its still stormy here and where it goes from here, I haven't clue as long as it goes.:clap:

Hope it keeps working for ya w/ the dps! At least you didn't get any major flooding w/ the storm, right? All I can say is it better not decide to head north and rain all weekend!:cus:

PCBeachBum
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Hope it keeps working for ya w/ the dps! At least you didn't get any major flooding w/ the storm, right? All I can say is it better not decide to head north and rain all weekend!:cus:

My house is between the Gulf of Mexico and the lagoon, that I almost went swimming in several weeks ago. The beach is about 900' from the back of my house and the lagoon is about 1300' from the front of the house.

The street I live on is the highest of all the streets between the Gulf and the lagoon. We got a some heavy rain and wind from this storm but, it's normal here for a tropical storm.

It always floods down on the main Road, Thomas Dr and the reason is there are no storm drains on that road.

My older brother who got me into riding and still rides today, hates it when we have a storm here. He knows that eventually it will head his way and during the winter we do get a few tropical storms, that when going up the coast turn to Noreaster's.

hopefully it will move along slowly, so you'll get to ride this weekend.:2thumbs:

vtrider
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Smylinacha;158464]I'm hoping for some global warming in the Northeast this winter!:2thumbs:

Ok now! Enough of that talk! :lecturef_smilie: In the Winter the Spyder will sleep and it will wake up in the spring. If I get that new 1200 Skidoo TNT, a global warming in the Northeast will not put me in a very good mood!:mad:
I'm just spoiled with winter. What can I say :D

I'm glad that you got your spyder back. I hope you don't have any more issues with it. So far, my spyder hasn't had any real problems since I've owned it. Maybe it's because I had to wait until the end of October of last year to get it and it's really a 08/09 model. Who knows.
I now have over 19,000 miles on it and it's still running great and I haven't really done anything to it other than change the oil and replaced the rear tire once. I also had the recall done for the steering issue, but I don't see any difference with the performance.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I always worry about my parents being on a key in Sarasota but no storms have hit them yet (knock on wood). They pay through the nose on home owners insurance though - like they gotta have several policies for this and that!

My house is between the Gulf of Mexico and the lagoon, that I almost went swimming in several weeks ago. The beach is about 900' from the back of my house and the lagoon is about 1300' from the front of the house.

The street I live on is the highest of all the streets between the Gulf and the lagoon. We got a some heavy rain and wind from this storm but, it's normal here for a tropical storm.

It always floods down on the main Road, Thomas Dr and the reason is there are no storm drains on that road.

My older brother who got me into riding and still rides today, hates it when we have a storm here. He knows that eventually it will head his way and during the winter we do get a few tropical storms, that when going up the coast turn to Noreaster's.

hopefully it will move along slowly, so you'll get to ride this weekend.:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
OK, I will wish you a snowy winter and the global warming cut off can be here in CT LOL!

I really think it could be a problem w/ the 08's. I don't see too many 09's with many problems. Now if I new what the difference was in the 08's and 09's......:chat:

Glad you've had a trouble free Spyder!

[QUOTE=Smylinacha;158464]I'm hoping for some global warming in the Northeast this winter!:2thumbs:

Ok now! Enough of that talk! :lecturef_smilie: In the Winter the Spyder will sleep and it will wake up in the spring. If I get that new 1200 Skidoo TNT, a global warming in the Northeast will not put me in a very good mood!:mad:
I'm just spoiled with winter. What can I say :D

I'm glad that you got your spyder back. I hope you don't have any more issues with it. So far, my spyder hasn't had any real problems since I've owned it. Maybe it's because I had to wait until the end of October of last year to get it and it's really a 08/09 model. Who knows.
I now have over 19,000 miles on it and it's still running great and I haven't really done anything to it other than change the oil and replaced the rear tire once. I also had the recall done for the steering issue, but I don't see any difference with the performance.

Longlegs
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Smylinacha;158573]OK, I will wish you a snowy winter and the global warming cut off can be here in CT LOL!

I really think it could be a problem w/ the 08's. I don't see too many 09's with many problems. Now if I new what the difference was in the 08's and 09's......:chat:

Glad you've had a trouble free Spyder!

I'll take some snow here too. As far as 08 -09 differences, I recall the wheelbearing part numbers are different. :joke:

shansmow
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
:clap: I'm so glad you got your ryde back! I would have been frustrated out of my mind. Thanks for keeping us posted on everything and hope you can get lots of miles under you.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
:clap: I'm so glad you got your ryde back! I would have been frustrated out of my mind. Thanks for keeping us posted on everything and hope you can get lots of miles under you.

Thank you - I hope we can find an answer for everyone on here. Bike is an awesome concept and we expected "bugs" but not scary bugs. Haven't gotten to ryde it yet - hopefully this weekend I can do a few hundred miles on it.

BajaRon
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Thank you - I hope we can find an answer for everyone on here. Bike is an awesome concept and we expected "bugs" but not scary bugs. Haven't gotten to ryde it yet - hopefully this weekend I can do a few hundred miles on it.

A few hundred miles could put you in our neighborhood. Show up and I'll buy you a burger! :D

Maybe we can get Lamont to take us to his new mountain look out! :ohyea:

PCBeachBum
11-11-2009, 05:31 AM
I always worry about my parents being on a key in Sarasota but no storms have hit them yet (knock on wood). They pay through the nose on home owners insurance though - like they gotta have several policies for this and that!

After Katrine and the 2005 hurricane season my home owner's insurance went from $900 a year to $4100.00 in 2006 and the lowest its gone since has been to $3200 a year.

My agent told me that rates double in S. FL. All they have here is Universal Insurance and Universal Insurance of North America. I have three policies this year. One for Fire, Theft and whatever, than another for Policy for Wind, than the third for Flood.

Anyone wanna buy a large house? 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, living area/loft, large family/theater room, new kitchen, clean steel appliances, granite counters, apartment/bath, work/storage room in back, hot tub, pond, natual gas grill, lot is 100' x 115'.

Just think you could ride your Spyder year round. If you don't need the apartment, park your Spyder in there. It has French doors. I would but I'm using it as a bedroom but if a bad storm came along, you can bet it would be in here with me.

I can rent a condo on the beach for $700 a month. They can't give those away or any house or condo here. As soon as buyers find out about the insurance and tax rates, they run.

If Universal home owner's insurance is expensive, just think about the Universal, they are talking about in DC.

Smylinacha
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
So I guess it's like you paying so much for insurance and we pay a bunch in taxes - it all equals out. I guess no matter where you live they'll get ya for something!

After Katrine and the 2005 hurricane season my home owner's insurance went from $900 a year to $4100.00 in 2006 and the lowest its gone since has been to $3200 a year.

My agent told me that rates double in S. FL. All they have here is Universal Insurance and Universal Insurance of North America. I have three policies this year. One for Fire, Theft and whatever, than another for Policy for Wind, than the third for Flood.

Anyone wanna buy a large house? 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, living area/loft, large family/theater room, new kitchen, clean steel appliances, granite counters, apartment/bath, work/storage room in back, hot tub, pond, natual gas grill, lot is 100' x 115'.

Just think you could ride your Spyder year round. If you don't need the apartment, park your Spyder in there. It has French doors. I would but I'm using it as a bedroom but if a bad storm came along, you can bet it would be in here with me.

I can rent a condo on the beach for $700 a month. They can't give those away or any house or condo here. As soon as buyers find out about the insurance and tax rates, they run.

If Universal home owner's insurance is expensive, just think about the Universal, they are talking about in DC.

stgilmer
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Wanted to give an update here instead of starting a new thread. Mine has been in the shop for a week now. Just called them this morning to give them a file number Carlo wanted me to give them. I was told that it hasn't been touched(in a week). Smylinacha do you have any idea how long yours might have set before they did anything to yours. When dropping it off I was told that immediately they were to download the computer and get results to BRP...:dontknow::dontknow:

Smylinacha
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Wanted to give an update here instead of starting a new thread. Mine has been in the shop for a week now. Just called them this morning to give them a file number Carlo wanted me to give them. I was told that it hasn't been touched(in a week). Smylinacha do you have any idea how long yours might have set before they did anything to yours. When dropping it off I was told that immediately they were to download the computer and get results to BRP...:dontknow::dontknow:

Well a tech flew in to ride it on a Thursday. I dropped it off that previous Monday night since it was the best night we had free so we got it there early. Tech rode it that Thursday and they went to put a dps in it but that one was a bad one. So it sat a while before the other new dps arrived. Nothing they could do until the other new dps arrived. Was supposed to arrive the following Thursday but it didn't. Was then supposed to be overnighted the Friday after that but they didn't overnight it (that was the shipping thing I complained about) and it got there the next Monday and that is when we picked it up again - Monday night. So it was 2 weeks at the dealer (but don't count from first Monday cuz we brought it there early) and it sat for 3 weeks at home with the exception of 1 short ryde because I was nervous ryding it all over the place like we normally did.

PCBeachBum
11-13-2009, 03:59 AM

It rained here til Wed night, than cleared off. I went out with the dog and looking up at the stars, I thought that Thursday "I'll Be Back In The Saddle".

I was up and out at 8:30 am, removed the cover on a day with a clear blue sky, got the hose bucket and soap and washed it. Went in changed and thought again, "I'm back In The Saddle Again- Buck Buck Buck Buuuck Buck Buck Buck Buuuck buck Buck Buck Buuuck, I'm back in the saddle Againnn!" and off I went to enjoy a long ride down the coast.

That was the Frank Burn's version of Back In The Saddle, when he thought he was going to get it on with Hotlips.:D

Looking at the radar for CT, it looks like Sunday will be your best day...Enjoy your Ryde. :2thumbs:

Kural
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I must confess I need to visit this site more often- this steering problem, could you describe it? Or, point me to a more appropriate thread that discusses the problem?

I ask because I had an odd occurance about 2 weeks ago, but not since. I was riding some *very* twisty curves, and rather than fight it, and since there was absolutely no one around, I went slower than my gramma. Like 15 mph slow. (The scenery was fantastic here, too!) Anyway, towards the end of this section (about 15 miles of this) as I would come out of a tight turn, it would sort of tweek out of the turn. Like, it didn't immediately turn smoothly, but almost like a tick. But not dramatic enough to be called a jerk. After twisties, and otherwise it rode great, like always. No further incident on that ride home (which was a good thing, since I was about 150 miles from home) nor any repeat since, on my almost daily commutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks you guys,

-Karla

stgilmer
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I must confess I need to visit this site more often- this steering problem, could you describe it? Or, point me to a more appropriate thread that discusses the problem?

I ask because I had an odd occurance about 2 weeks ago, but not since. I was riding some *very* twisty curves, and rather than fight it, and since there was absolutely no one around, I went slower than my gramma. Like 15 mph slow. (The scenery was fantastic here, too!) Anyway, towards the end of this section (about 15 miles of this) as I would come out of a tight turn, it would sort of tweek out of the turn. Like, it didn't immediately turn smoothly, but almost like a tick. But not dramatic enough to be called a jerk. After twisties, and otherwise it rode great, like always. No further incident on that ride home (which was a good thing, since I was about 150 miles from home) nor any repeat since, on my almost daily commutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks you guys,

-Karla

Hi Karla, sounds like you could have some steering issues arising. Doesn't sound like they are as bad as some of us have had, we have had our bars lock or atleast feel like they are locked, then they release after giving great force against it causing to veer into other lanes or off road. The tweeking feel that you get is what I was getting when trying to turn the bars while setting still. Your DPS maybe going bad also, worth having it checked if you can, always better off safe than sorry.

BumbleBee
11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
:congrats: Wonderful news, hope everything goes well with the spyder for you!!!

musicarcade
11-13-2009, 04:41 PM
It happened twice for me since the second update. Today on the way to work I was going 60mph in 4th gear. Same place on the steering as the first. The bike felt as if the steering was locked and drifting to the left. I tweeked just a little and it came out of its "groove" That's what it feels like to me- like it's stuck in a little groove and it needs a little pull to get out of it. Since the posts on here and the first instance I always try to leave myself at least 2 outs and not have any vehicle on my left side as often as possible. I also make sure to have the kill switch ready if I need that as a last resort.

pitmon
11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Please don't ride it if you are having steering problems, get it to the dealer and have it checked out. It's better to be safe than sorry.

jsmiley
11-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Really wasn't a Kevorkian issue. He came, he rode and they HAD the other DPS all ready to put in and it didn't work so nothing he could have done but to go to the next dealership while we waited for ANOTHER DPS to be shipped. So basically the first new DPS was bad from the start. The one they just put in is another new one.

This bike is so complex I think there's gonna be lots of questions on lots of things - who knows what it is - dps, ecm, software - so much to look at.

What are the chances? My :spyder2: has been in the shop 2 weeks now, also been waiting for a new DPS for 11 days and today it came in. They installed and dealer was not able to complete the sensor reset procedure. After consulting with BRP they were told that the wrong version of the DPS had been sent and the version sent was known to be problematic and is supposed to be pulled from circulation. Now I get to wait for another unit. :gaah:

BRP if you are listening, WTF!!!

RoadHammer
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
I ran mine in to the dealer for steering issues today, "since the second update" was performed.
My first steering issues were soon after I bought the bike which are posted here in some earlier thread many months ago. I just let it slide assuming it was because it was brand new and being broken in. But I didnt forget the experience.
But now, since the second update my steering at idle fights me, It's hard to describe but I feel it work and when it stops working it locks and releases. I gassed up at my pump and backed up to the right the other day, and the steering locked momentarily and made a noise.. I cant describe the sound because it's weird but than than it released and than fought me again and released.
After reading and conversing with more than a few members who have had a similar issue i figured it's time to ride it into the shop.
I know exactly how it feels to be a hood ornament. I Know exactly how it feels, body on the grill of a bus....., I really don't want to feel that again.
I don't want it steering where i don't want it to go, or ever feel that in the future. I dont want anyone to ever feel that.
I have read a few instances of it going where you don't want it to go and I really hope it doesn't happen to anyone.
The shop tech hooked up the buds and sent data to BRP. Something isn't right "and thats a good thing" because the problem hopefully will be resolved. Apparently it looks like something to do with the ecu and dps.
I'm optimistic and hoping for the best. It will be more than a few days till I know what is going on, but I'll deal with it.
My ride to the shop this morning was great, only 40 degrees cold as heck but i had a blast. I love my spyder, I ran way over the limit and even raced some guy in a pick up truck. I was the rabbit....

pitmon
11-14-2009, 06:03 AM
The dealer finally got my dps (third one) and installed it late yesterday. They are suppose to test drive it today and if everything checks out I can pick it up today. Sure hope this is the fix. At least this one reset and no codes so far. My bike has been down a month now and I will be glad to have it up and running once again. Keep your fingers crossed! The ride home should be a tense one. :D

spyderbitten
11-14-2009, 07:06 AM
I also am awaiting a third DPS unit. Spyder has been repaired from a collision with a deer and the DPS update was done while there. I went to pick it up (3hrs one way), test drove it and 15 miles from the shop the steering went into the "bind". They put two new DPS units in and both failed, so we are awaiting a 3rd unit........I'am sick of it. I had no issues until the DPS update was done, now I have no ride and the good weather days are clicking away.

Mike

czdaryle
11-14-2009, 07:37 AM
It happened twice for me since the second update. Today on the way to work I was going 60mph in 4th gear. Same place on the steering as the first. The bike felt as if the steering was locked and drifting to the left. I tweeked just a little and it came out of its "groove" That's what it feels like to me- like it's stuck in a little groove and it needs a little pull to get out of it. Since the posts on here and the first instance I always try to leave myself at least 2 outs and not have any vehicle on my left side as often as possible. I also make sure to have the kill switch ready if I need that as a last resort.

thats crazy..why would you take this chance:yikes:

Smylinacha
11-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes, the first dps that they tried to install wouldn't work. This one now apparently works. I haven't ridden yet - but tomorrow I will. HDX rode it home and it seemed ok.

What are the chances? My :spyder2: has been in the shop 2 weeks now, also been waiting for a new DPS for 11 days and today it came in. They installed and dealer was not able to complete the sensor reset procedure. After consulting with BRP they were told that the wrong version of the DPS had been sent and the version sent was known to be problematic and is supposed to be pulled from circulation. Now I get to wait for another unit. :gaah:

BRP if you are listening, WTF!!!

Smylinacha
11-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Keep us posted on how you make out! Glad you had a nice race this morning :2thumbs:

I ran mine in to the dealer for steering issues today, "since the second update" was performed.
My first steering issues were soon after I bought the bike which are posted here in some earlier thread many months ago. I just let it slide assuming it was because it was brand new and being broken in. But I didnt forget the experience.
But now, since the second update my steering at idle fights me, It's hard to describe but I feel it work and when it stops working it locks and releases. I gassed up at my pump and backed up to the right the other day, and the steering locked momentarily and made a noise.. I cant describe the sound because it's weird but than than it released and than fought me again and released.
After reading and conversing with more than a few members who have had a similar issue i figured it's time to ride it into the shop.
I know exactly how it feels to be a hood ornament. I Know exactly how it feels, body on the grill of a bus....., I really don't want to feel that again.
I don't want it steering where i don't want it to go, or ever feel that in the future. I dont want anyone to ever feel that.
I have read a few instances of it going where you don't want it to go and I really hope it doesn't happen to anyone.
The shop tech hooked up the buds and sent data to BRP. Something isn't right "and thats a good thing" because the problem hopefully will be resolved. Apparently it looks like something to do with the ecu and dps.
I'm optimistic and hoping for the best. It will be more than a few days till I know what is going on, but I'll deal with it.
My ride to the shop this morning was great, only 40 degrees cold as heck but i had a blast. I love my spyder, I ran way over the limit and even raced some guy in a pick up truck. I was the rabbit....

Smylinacha
11-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Glad you are getting it back! I ryde mine tomorrow. Let us know how your ride was when you get back! HDX rode mine home from the dealer and he said he had no problems. So I'm looking forward to tomorrow. :thumbup:

The dealer finally got my dps (third one) and installed it late yesterday. They are suppose to test drive it today and if everything checks out I can pick it up today. Sure hope this is the fix. At least this one reset and no codes so far. My bike has been down a month now and I will be glad to have it up and running once again. Keep your fingers crossed! The ride home should be a tense one. :D

ataDude
11-14-2009, 11:01 AM
...After consulting with BRP they were told that the wrong version of the DPS had been sent and the version sent was known to be problematic and is supposed to be pulled from circulation.

You folks are missing this apparently new information!

pitmon
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Picked my spyder up about 2 hours ago from the dealer. New dps seems to be working great. Dealer said they test drove it for about 30 miles with no problems. I rode it home 80 miles with no problem. It does steer a little different than before, but maybe that's a good thing. I did notice that there seems to be no "assist" while sitting still tho, so locking the steering is a bit different, but as long as I can ride it safely that will be ok with me. I guess time will tell. Ride safe! Keep fingers crossed!:clap:

Smylinacha
11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
:congrats::2thumbs: So glad to hear it's working for ya! I hope mine is the same tomorrow. I never lock my bars - I always had trouble doing it. Just stick the thing in First, take they key out and walk away but we never veer too far from our bikes. If we have to park far, then we normally don't go there.

Picked my spyder up about 2 hours ago from the dealer. New dps seems to be working great. Dealer said they test drove it for about 30 miles with no problems. I rode it home 80 miles with no problem. It does steer a little different than before, but maybe that's a good thing. I did notice that there seems to be no "assist" while sitting still tho, so locking the steering is a bit different, but as long as I can ride it safely that will be ok with me. I guess time will tell. Ride safe! Keep fingers crossed!:clap:

SpyderWolf
11-14-2009, 07:58 PM

Glad to hear you are back up and running again. That is the same way the steering works on my 2009, and I have never bothered to lock it either. It steers great while on the move though. :thumbup:

wyliec
11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
You folks are missing this apparently new information!

I've been gone for a few days. When you mentioned the wrong version was sent, do you mean the wrong version of the software or of the actual DPS.

Whether it is the DPS or the software how do we know ahead of time before we actually have a problem.

r1eater
11-16-2009, 12:38 AM

Hmmm I just bought a 2009 and it did this to me on the way home.... I thought maybe it was me getting used to the Spyder but when I did the demo ride on a diff Spyder last weekend I didnt experience this problem. Now after reading your post it sounds identical to what I experienced, so maybe its not just me.:(