PDA

View Full Version : Security of the RT Trailer

TonyMac
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I got a chance to look at the RT trailer this weekend and noted that while nicely done, I can't imagine it would be too tough to break into one parked at the motel at night.

Does anyone have any insight as to the security of leaving your stuff in a trailer while parked at a motel or similar situation? Are alarms needed or other tricks of the trade?

All long trips with cars and trailers I've taken in the past have been for a purpose (moving) and I've never had to stay over night before. With the RT, I would buy one and the trailer for the express purpose of taking a two week trip and wouldn't want to take everything into the motel each evening and I'd be worried about leaving stuff in the trailer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Lamonster
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
:2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmUr0nZzIxE

ataDude
11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
:2thumbs:
YouTube- Bushtec (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmUr0nZzIxE)

Sorry for laughing, bjt and Deb, but that was, and is, one of the funniest things I've seen in my year and a half here.

TonyMac
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok, I take it back about a determined twelve year old with a screwdriver. Those suckers are tough!:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow, hopefully all of the banging would get somebody's attention before they got too far. I truly love the commentary in the video though! :roflblack:

dltang
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry for laughing, bjt and Deb, but that was, and is, one of the funniest things I've seen in my year and a half here.

That's alright dude, I just watched it again and I laughed too. But at 1:00am and the end of an Ironbutt ride, all I wanted was my clothes and stuff for a shower out of my trailer.

lawrenc454
11-09-2009, 01:11 AM
I have traveled by motorcycle with tent trailers, cargo trailers and a uni-go as well as sidecar rigs with locking storage. First, someone determined gets into anything they want including your tent and hotel room. Second, we always lock the trailer to the bike and if possible to a pole. With the uni-go we just rolled it into the room. Third, we always packed everything in containers that we could take out of the trailer so that the important stuff we took into the room with us. Fourth, there was a period where we took the valuable stuff in and left the lid to the trailer unlocked so they wouldn't ruin the trailer getting in. Fifth, you always buy one of those travel alarms that you can hang on a hotel door and carefully place it inside the trailer with a short cord to the top and if someone opens it a great racket ensues (I set this up from a friend that traveled a lot with a trailer). Finally, I haven't seen the 622 yet but the locking system looks as good as that on the bike so it will be just as secure as the bike but without the alarm. Hope this helps.:ohyea:

BumbleBee
11-09-2009, 05:43 AM
I guess that answers it :2thumbs:

TonyMac
11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess that answers it :2thumbs:

Yes, these were all very helpful. Thanks!

Big Arm
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Ok, I take it back about a determined twelve year old with a screwdriver. Those suckers are tough!:2thumbs:

Remember, ..........bjt & dltang's trailer is a Bushtec, not a BRP trailer. :ohyea: :roflblack: