PDA

View Full Version : All you Dragon Riders watch out for this stuff

Motorcycledave
05-19-2023, 11:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KOpfv2f88

ARtraveler
05-19-2023, 12:10 PM
An interesting ride along. I watched five minutes of it. Good driver...at least he kept it between the lines. :yes:

I like those kind of twisties...but at much lower speeds. :bowdown:

Mikey
05-19-2023, 12:12 PM
To each his own!!:popcorn::agree:

Motorcycledave
05-19-2023, 12:42 PM
An interesting ride along. I watched five minutes of it. Good driver...at least he kept it between the lines. :yes:

I like those kind of twisties...but at much lower speeds. :bowdown:

Living here in California the Sierra Nevada mountain range is in my back yard, we have many roads that are like that and some even more
twisty, every year there are head on crashes on them when people try to race up or down them. Just don't ride above your ability...

BajaRon
05-19-2023, 12:45 PM
Death wish. I've had my share. Glad to still be here.

Watch out for those painted lines. Much slicker than the roadway. Especially in the rain.

ARtraveler
05-19-2023, 04:22 PM
Living here in California the Sierra Nevada mountain range is in my back yard, we have many roads that are like that and some even more
twisty, every year there are head on crashes on them when people try to race up or down them. Just don't ride above your ability...

We are on the Ozark Mtn. plateau. Many such roads in my back yard. :yes:

Bfromla
05-19-2023, 05:45 PM
INVINCIBLE :popcorn:
G
N
O
R
A
N
C
E - :rolleyes: :lecturef_smilie: doesn’t even need the Twisties
(much less alcohol :sour:) - save it for a track, not some public roads (please)

Woodaddict
05-19-2023, 05:51 PM
well, its a faulty record. he was parked at the overlook that looks over lake. was NOT actually at the correct end of total 11 miles. that was about 1 or 2 miles farther back, near the big parking lot. don't remember a sign at precise 11 miles, but he did pass the start sign at the 9 min 9 sec, or that may be the state NC sign. That was the NC state line sign, dragon starts just a little past that sign , so he's around 8 or 9 miles. might help if you want to SAY you have a record to actually try to start and end at correct places

i have been PASSED on my 2 wheeler or spyder by those crotch rocket racers. it is patrolled by TN county sheriff sometimes

Raven
05-19-2023, 07:47 PM
INVINCIBLE :popcorn:
G
N
O
R
A
N
C
E - :rolleyes: :lecturef_smilie: doesn’t even need the Twisties
(much less alcohol :sour:) - save it for a track, not some public roads (please)

Ditto.
Good way to get someone else hurt or killed.

FrogmanDave
05-22-2023, 07:01 PM
Say what you want but dude has skills and some mighty big balls!

ThreeWheels
05-23-2023, 01:49 AM
That's exactly why they have the Tree Of Shame.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21900&d=1271763348

old Timer
05-23-2023, 08:08 AM
We lived 30 or so miles from the Dragon. You see a lot of Ape Hanger equipped HD's with riders wearing those stupid pretend Benie Helmets and sleeveless T shirts crashing as well as conventional Trikes like the HD Trikes and Trike conversions. I have yet seen or heard of a Spyder crash, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, but by comparison, it is rare.

RayBJ
05-23-2023, 08:47 AM
I've done the TOD on a few different bikes & the Spyder. Spirited but not stupid works for me. IMHO, the TOD is not nearly as enjoyable as roads like the Rattler, Cherahola, or BRP. Even the Moonshiner is preferred. TOD is a "Do it for the Merit Badge and get away from the circus clowns".

Jesster72
05-23-2023, 11:27 AM
I've done the TOD on a few different bikes & the Spyder. Spirited but not stupid works for me. IMHO, the TOD is not nearly as enjoyable as roads like the Rattler, Cherahola, or BRP. Even the Moonshiner is preferred. TOD is a "Do it for the Merit Badge and get away from the circus clowns".

We rode it once on our Victory to say we did it - and I put a patch on my vest, my version of the merit badge I guess. Cherahola was a much better ride, the driver can enjoy some of the scenery. Blue Ridge is on our list of must do's, hopefully in the next few years.

LOL - there were more than a few clowns riding the day we rode it, I remember pulling over a couple of times to let them by. We didn't see any accidents though.

Cobwebs
05-23-2023, 06:09 PM
Awesome stuff, compared to my haunts it looks a bit sterile though.We have fallen limbs, scattered leaves, gravel sprays,startled critters,dodgy road repairs,wet and dry patches,startled grey nomads, roadworks with no roadworks, recalcitrant nanny's and Kenda tyres in the mix just to relieve the boredom.Now come on lift your game.:popcorn:

Jetfixer
05-23-2023, 06:27 PM
Try the "Back of the Dragon" from Marion to Tazewell Va. Like their T-shirt says, "11, try 32".

Adventurer
05-23-2023, 08:29 PM
Try the "Back of the Dragon" from Marion to Tazewell Va. Like their T-shirt says, "11, try 32".

Absolutely agree, the Back of the Dragon is much more fun for me and not nearly as much traffic.

Pirate
05-24-2023, 10:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KOpfv2f88

Max Wrist is an idiot and not helpful to the other idiots who follow his riding advice.

Cobwebs
05-24-2023, 05:31 PM
Max Wrist is an idiot and not helpful to the other idiots who follow his riding advice.

So I take it :dontknow:your view is skillful riders must ride at non skilled riders pace then?

blacklightning
05-25-2023, 08:28 AM
So I take it :dontknow:your view is skillful riders must ride at non skilled riders pace then?
I ride it probably at least 2 times a year on trips to the mountains. I ride at my own pace, don't get distracted by the camera people, and stay in my lane. Don't have many that pass me, but I am curteous enough to pull to the far right and wave them on if needed. I just wish others would do the same. The key is to not get freaked out if someone does pass you. I also try to do it Monday through Friday (only early fridays).

tntnj
05-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Try Wayha road , it is not too far from the TAD, Also 405.5 off the BRP, it is only about 4 miles long and there nobody on there.

blacklightning
05-25-2023, 09:14 AM
Try Wayha road , it is not too far from the TAD, Also 405.5 off the BRP, it is only about 4 miles long and there nobody on there. I love Wayha rd! 276 from Waynesville down to 64 is also good. Then there is always 28.

grumpyoldretiredcop
06-01-2023, 02:16 AM
Say what you want but dude has skills and some mighty big balls!

And tiny brains. Do this on a track, you're a hero. Do this on a public road, you're a zero.

Peter Aawen
06-01-2023, 02:43 AM
And tiny brains. Do this on a track, you're a hero. Do this on a public road, you're a zero.

:agree: Or you become a stain on the pavement and a contribution to some First Responder's PTSD! :mad:

Cobwebs
06-01-2023, 06:54 AM
What is the actual speed limit through there anyway?

OldAge
06-01-2023, 08:35 AM
What is the actual speed limit through there anyway?

Haven't run it in several years but I believe at least some of it is 35!!

Cobwebs
06-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Haven't run it in several years but I believe at least some of it is 35!!

Well he's a naughty boy then if that's the case. Otherwise, if that were in my neck of the woods you would struggle to get anywhere near the 62mph limit, especially on the corners. Straights, yeah maybe depending on the bike, in this case obviously doing it easily for the briefest of moments. I just think to sensationalize what an idiot he was is wrong. An idiot rides over his limit and by a margin too great to remain in control. What I saw was a measured, well executed and timed display of skill that takes a lot of hours at pace to achieve. If all drivers/riders were as competent as this, I would certainly feel a lot safer on any road than currently.