PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the physics of how a tire balancer liquid works?

TOADS
05-17-2023, 08:11 PM
I confess I am at a loss to to explain how a tire balancer/flat fix like RIDE-ON works. The flat fix part is a no brainer. However how it balances the tire is not so intuitive. From the available use descriptions it appears to spread as a thin layer on the inside of the tire and rotational inertia should spread it to a relatively uniform thickness, but how does it weight the area in need of balance weight? Or does it simply increase the total rotational inertia of the tire and reduce the the out of balance moment by increasing the total tire mass making the needed balance weight a smaller percentage and thus less noticeable.
Thanks, TOADS.

Peter Aawen
05-17-2023, 09:11 PM
I confess I am at a loss to to explain how a tire balancer/flat fix like RIDE-ON works. The flat fix part is a no brainer. However how it balances the tire is not so intuitive. From the available use descriptions it appears to spread as a thin layer on the inside of the tire and rotational inertia should spread it to a relatively uniform thickness, but how does it weight the area in need of balance weight? Or does it simply increase the total rotational inertia of the tire and reduce the out of balance moment by increasing the total tire mass making the needed balance weight a smaller percentage and thus less noticeable.
Thanks, TOADS.

You don't need any help with this, you've got it sorted already! :thumbup: If you want a label for it to impress the mob at the pub, you could always use 'Centrifugal Force', or better yet/more correctly, try Centripetal Force, but really, it's juuust a little bit from your Column A above, plus a little bit from your Column B... and Voilą, problem solvered :p Nett result, tire spinning smooottthhly! :ohyea:

Steve W.
05-18-2023, 09:57 AM
I have a similarly hard time understanding the balancing beads, too. Even though everybody that has tried them has said they work, I just don't understand HOW.

For the time being, I will stick with the cancer-causing hunks of metal that still seem to work just fine.