PDA

View Full Version : Its hard to get off 2 two wheels and onto three.

brian10x
05-10-2023, 07:52 PM
:chat:
Its so hard.
I've been on motorcycles for 35 years. I don't consider myself a particularly great rider, but I get by.
In 2020, I had a back operation, and now my legs are a little weak from nerve damage, and I don't balance as well as most people.

With age, I'm also not as fearless as I once was.

I also take longer to heal.

My reaction time is not as fast, and my hearing and eyesight not as acute.

I usually ride every day to work. I spend all my down time researching three wheeled alternatives, mostly the Can-Am Spyder.

Then I start up my sweetheart after work. My beloved CBR500R.

And I change my mind. I don't have to give up motorcycles. This is the best (well, nearly the best) feeling in the world. I twist the throttle and I'm going to live forever.

Then some Prius cuts me off, a gust of wind catches me by surprise at a light, or my left foot slips on an invisible patch of gravel.

Then I'm home back on CycleTrader looking at Spyders again

But, I feel so......weak, as a man, to go from 2 to three wheels. What kind of weak, limp-wristed coward am I ?

I have to give it more time. I can do this. I can still ride. Or can I ?

Comments, of any kind, are welcome.

Brian
In sunny Tucson

al0vely
05-10-2023, 08:03 PM
Get rid of the CBR so it no longer tempts you to do what isn’t feasible.

Take a 3 wheel course and ride the Spyder then fall in love and buy one.

cruisinTX
05-10-2023, 08:12 PM
I feel your pain. I have been on two wheels since 1968 buuuuut, had a long hiatus from 1980 to 2000 and have been making up for lost time and miles ever since to the tune of over 400K miles since starting again in April of 2000. However we bought a 2014 Spyder RT Limited for my wife in the fall of 2017 and I have been transitioning to three wheels very slowly. That all got accelerated after I came down with a very severe case of shingles last Memorial Day followed by an even worse case of postherpetic neuralgia (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postherpetic-neuralgia/symptoms-causes/syc-20376588#Overview) that is on-going. The first two months of that had me flat on my back in bed where I lost a lot of strength and riding skills. The two wheelers were still calling out to me but the superior wind protection of the Spyder made riding less painful so I have been ryding it almost exclusively since last August. It's not so bad to not have to hold up a 600lb bike or hold onto the throttle because of cruise control, etc. In short getting older (69 tomorrow) comes with needing some more creature comforts and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I do plan on keeping a couple of the two-wheeled collection for some time but the Spyder will continue to get more a share of my time from now on.

Saluda
05-10-2023, 08:32 PM
Took me about 30 minutes to make the decision, haven't regretted it at all. Weak ??? Come on.

bigbadbrucie
05-10-2023, 08:44 PM
I just turned 80 3 weeks ago. I got my first 2 wheeler when I was 16, which translates to having my m/c licence for 64 years. I also had about a 20/25 year hiatus, but here I am, now on a 2014 RTS and loving it. The learning curve to transition from 2 wheels to 3 does take a while. To my way of thinking, get rid of the CBR. Keeping it will only make the transition harder, if not impossible. Jump into the pond with both feet. Right now all you’re doing is sticking a toe in the water and finding it cold.

Bfromla
05-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Suggest attempting three wheel courses & test rides:2thumbs: as well as reading any number of threads on Enabled spyders https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled-SpyderLovers
202589 Spyders make things possible :firstplace: add a hand brake & full paraplegics enjoying comfortably. The learning curve for experienced riders does vary(:lecturef_smilie:better than not riding at all)

Navydad
05-10-2023, 08:45 PM
My wife and I have touring for almost 50 years. You name it and we have owned it settling on sports touring bikes in our later years. The decision to go to the Spyder for our touring bike was a tough one, but we have no regrets. It took me at least a thousands miles of riding before I started feeling comfortable with the Spyder. Dang thing wouldn't lean no matter how hard I tried. I do have my Moto Guzzi V7 in the garage for those times when I need a two wheeled fix, but the Spyder is our main travel bike.

Peter Aawen
05-10-2023, 08:56 PM
Brian, I know it's long, but it's well worth a read - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

And then when you do get a Spyder, it's probably worth re-reading the bits that apply to whichever your chosen model/engine is. :thumbup:

Sure, they're different to 2-wheeled bikes, but once you really get a handle on riding a Spyder & get 'yours' set-up properly for you/to your satisfaction, you can potter along as gently as you like and never hafta worry about gusts of wind or invisible gravel, just enjoy getting your knees in the breeze without the worries; OR, if you want to put the effort in, you can ride it harder & faster than you ever dreamt possible in the tight stuff! In fairly standard trim/on stock tires, it'll never be the fastest machine on the block simply due to all the extra air it hasta push ahead of it & all the extra weight it hasta move; but it will be at least as fast if not faster than most cages, and once it's tweaked to your satisfaction & got some decent tires on it & it's ridden reasonably well by an increasingly capable rider, it'll eventually out corner & out brake any 2 wheeled bike on the road as well as most other things besides; and at it's best, IF YOU PROVE TO BE UP TO IT, it can even be the absolute fastest thing thru the twisties, IF your body is still up to putting in the effort required as & when required! :ohyea: They're not only more stable thru the corners & on the less than ideal surfaces, they've also got a somewhat larger area of tire contact patch with the road & an extra wheel of brakes, giving you better braking potential/capabilities and cornering potential/capabilities, and when you learn the body english required to extract the best from one of these wondrous things, you too can have a real blast on them... Maybe a slightly different blast to that you might get from your 2 wheeler, but still an equal or possibly even better blast - those of us who ride them at any level don't crow about the Miles of Smiles for nothing! :yes:

And btw, if you want to ride a Spyder as well as you can, maybe even push it right out to it's limits &/or yours, you're probably going to hafta be a LOT MORE committed, gutsy, and capable than any 2 wheel rider short of the top tier professionals out there! :lecturef_smilie: There's none of that centrifugal or centripetal force crap around to help you stay upright & corner at speed, these things will try their hardest to toss you off at every opportunity until you learn how to manage the massive cornering forces they can generate; there's none of that limp wristed chicken hearted easy counter steering stuff or just lean with the bike stuff... when/if you ever really start to explore the capabilities of a Spyder you'll discover that you NEED more core strength than any 2 wheeled rider ever needed; you'll NEED to learn how plan & look well ahead then actively steer it safely thru every corner; you'll NEED to learn how to move yourself &/or your weight around to match & then enhance it's capabilities; and it'll take much more effort just to stay on the thing than those pantywaist 2 wheelers ever hafta exert! It takes guts, skill, strength, and bucket loads of pure adrenalin to ride a Spyder to its limits/your fullest, and if you don't already KNOW in the deepest parts of your soul that adrenalin REALLY IS BROWN, try jumping straight onto a Spyder & riding it exactly the same way you ride that Honda now & you soon will! :yikes: And only THEN will you be able to move beyond those 2 wheel biased ingrained misconceptions and limitations and discover the absolute Joy of riding a Spyder in rings around those mere mortals on their lesser 2 wheeled steeds!! :trike:

So stop being an increasingly fearful aging wimp on a 2 wheeled machine, get yourself a Spyder or Ryker and be an exhilarated & excited aging rider on one of the greatest machines you'll ever straddle! nojoke It'll be hard (cos it's different, & you hafta 'unlearn' a bunch of stuff about riding that you currently take for granted :p ) and it'll take some time, most reckon on more than a couple of thousand miles to really start getting comfortable with them, but maybe if you've ridden quads or snowmobiles a fair bit then you'll be able to get there quicker; but once it all falls into place, you'll wish you hadn't wasted all that time pussy-footing around on a 2 wheeled bike worrying about making the decision to take the big step & get a REALLY EXCITING & CHALLENGING TO RIDE machine like a Spyder! You KNOW you Want to, so get out there & BUY the damned Spyder so you can finally discover what you've been missing all this time! :ohyea:

Just Sayin' :cheers:

....But, I feel so......weak, as a man, to go from 2 to three wheels. What kind of weak, limp-wristed coward am I?... :roflblack: Maybe too weak for a Spyder? :dontknow:

Go on, screw your courage to the sticking place, be a Man, and Just Do It! :thumbup:

;)

Ps: Check out the Enabled SpyderLovers section to see how others have managed -

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled-SpyderLovers

and the 'UNSEEN DISABILITIES' thread - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled-SpyderLovers

mark4Jesus
05-10-2023, 09:29 PM
I was where you are about 5 years ago. In my case, I was healthy and could handle my Victory Cross Country Tour. However, my wife (after 25 years of riding) got scared of leaning in curves and quit riding. Soooo, we got our Spyder and she started riding again. I went through two-wheel withdrawal for a while. Riding a Spyder has its own, unique fun and challenges. As Peter said, it is a more physical ride in the twisties, but I have come to love it. Again, it is different, but good.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2023, 09:52 PM
Been there felt that .... the Spyders are Motorcycles in legal terms only .... it is a 3-wheel car .... drive it that way and you will soon LOVE it .... I have learned to use as little input (physically) in driving it, as possible .... I GUIDE it.... unless I'm going B*lls to the wall in the Twisties. (I'm 76) .... take your time, practice in Non-Traffic places and it will all come together .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

Columbia
05-10-2023, 10:03 PM
Brian

I get it. In some ways your story matches mine. I got off two wheels two years ago. Medical reasons. I still miss riding. I probably always will. But.

There's always a "but."

My wife goes with me on the Spyder and that's a good thing. Two wheels? No wife.

I've worked hard to learn the idiosyncrasies of my 2015 ST. I don't care much for the V-twin, but it's what I've got, so I'm learning to like it. I've had some fun in the twisties, a different fun than two wheels, but when I toss my body around a bit I can get the Spyder to dance and I can keep up with the two guys I've ridden with for years (one on an FJR the other a BMW street bike or the large Tenere)

I miss the leaning. I always will miss carving turns leaned over. Such is life, isn't it? Change after change, some we choose, many we don't.

But. On its own terms the Spyder works. It's growing on me.

I've put new tires on, which improved things. I'm planning to change out the front shock springs, which should make handling a bit tighter. New anti sway bar made a significant improvement. So the old Spyder and this Olde Fahrt are getting better and better at having fun, i.e. making good time on roads with very little straight sections.

Spyder is kinder to my body. I can ride longer. I had noticed on my last bike I needed to stop more frequently; not on the Spyder. I now stop when I want to, not when I have to.

The parts guy at the local dealership said "People who go to a Spyder from a car or truck won't shut up about what a kick the Spyder is. People who go from two wheels to three are a bit less enthusiastic." Uh huh. But remember what I said about accepting a Spyder on its terms? True of most everything, I think. It doesn't work when I think Damn! This thing doesn't lean. It's a V-twin. Terrible fuel economy. And so on. Instead I've forced myself to think I'm riding. Same gear. Similar sounds and sensations. A new vehicle to learn with more potential than I first thought. I'm in a new land, a new country. What does it have to teach me?

I lived in eastern Europe for a couple of years. It was like getting on a Spyder. If I expected it to be the USA I was always disappointed. When I finally forced myself to say "It ain't the US. In some ways it's better. Appreciate it for what it is, rather than focus on what it isn't." After awhile I didn't have to force myself.

Same with the Spyder. I require less and less force to think of it on its terms, accepting it for what it is, rather than complaining about what it isn't.

A l-o-n-g treatise to say "Getting off two wheels is a challenge. Riding on three is also. I can't ride two any more, so I'm going to make the most of riding three."

Can you do it? Of course. If you want to.

Snoking1127
05-10-2023, 10:22 PM
Just remember when you get on a Spyder you guide on the highway, if you try to "drive it/man handle it" it will be all over the road. Want to correct a little to the left, then gentle push on the right handle bar and vice a versa. In the twisty you get a little more involved, moving you weight to the inside of a corner, and pushing down on the outside running board. I run on cruse control all the time and just rest my hands on the handle bars.

2dogs
05-10-2023, 10:38 PM
I found it much more challenging to go from three wheels to two wheels. The physical limits at the time along with gravity all worked against me. I believe I used more gauze and bandages than my mom had in the medicine cabinet. But I eventually succeeded and overcame the hardships. Now going back to three wheels was like a flash from the past. It took about 5 seconds and I had it all under control.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 05:42 AM
Get rid of the CBR so it no longer tempts you to do what isn’t feasible.

Take a 3 wheel course and ride the Spyder then fall in love and buy one.

Seems like a course is a little silly. Compared to a motorcycle, the Spyder seems almost too easy. That reminds me of something that appeals to me about motorcycles. I'm doing something that requires a great deal of skill, and a lot of people just can't master it. Am I becoming one of them?

brian10x
05-11-2023, 05:47 AM
When I picture myself on a Spyder, this image comes to mind:

brian10x
05-11-2023, 05:52 AM
I just turned 80 3 weeks ago. I got my first 2 wheeler when I was 16, which translates to having my m/c licence for 64 years. I also had about a 20/25 year hiatus, but here I am, now on a 2014 RTS and loving it. The learning curve to transition from 2 wheels to 3 does take a while. To my way of thinking, get rid of the CBR. Keeping it will only make the transition harder, if not impossible. Jump into the pond with both feet. Right now all you’re doing is sticking a toe in the water and finding it cold.

Thanks you, and everyone else for the great comments. If I can just get that image I see burned into my brain every time I picture myself on a Spyder-

baxter
05-11-2023, 06:21 AM
I feel your exact thoughts. My wake up call was after bike accident leaving left leg not as it was and having thoughts of dropping my Harley Ultra was deciding what to do. I have been riding basically all my life taking long trips from Florida Keys to the Arctic Circle, Newfoundland to San Diego and everything in between. I finally swallowed my pride and decided that to keep riding safely. three wheels was way to go.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:28 AM
I feel your exact thoughts. My wake up call was after bike accident leaving left leg not as it was and having thoughts of dropping my Harley Ultra was deciding what to do. I have been riding basically all my life taking long trips from Florida Keys to the Arctic Circle, Newfoundland to San Diego and everything in between. I finally swallowed my pride and decided that to keep riding safely. three wheels was way to go.

Thank you! I'm finding this community to be extremely supportive, more so than any of the motorcycle forums I've been on.

In the last year, I've dropped a bike three times, and, bike damage aside, It was not only damned painful, but I am no longer strong enough to pick up a dropped bike. Advantage: Spyder.

Wahrsuul
05-11-2023, 06:32 AM
I'm with Columbia - I can still ride and hold up a big bike, but the wife prefers the tryke. She doesn't want to drive it, just ride. Since I don't want to transition from one to the other, I have a Spyder. She wanted a 'Wing trike, but they're WAY more expensive and don't handle as well. There are other issues too.

Getting old sucks, no two ways about it, but age is supposed to bring wisdom, so you should realize BEFORE something bad happens that it's time to get off two wheels. If that means going to three, then so be it. Some people just stop riding altogether. That choice is yours.

I can tell you or certain (as has already been said) going from two wheels to a Spyder is a serious transition! You' pretty much have to un-learn your riding habits and reflexes and develop new ones. The first time I rode a Spyder RT it scared cr** out of me. It was twitchy at low speeds and seemed to want to follow every rut in the road. Yes, you mastered two wheels, something not everyone does. Now you can master three, again something that not everyone does. My brother is several years older than me and has had a bike of some kind since he was 15. He refuses to ride my Spyder. I used to have trouble keeping up with him on a bike, but now I can do it with ease.

If you want to keep riding, it sounds like you're going to need a trike of some kind. Personally the Spyder is the only one I considered.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:49 AM
I'm with Columbia - I can still ride and hold up a big bike, but the wife prefers the tryke. She doesn't want to drive it, just ride. Since I don't want to transition from one to the other, I have a Spyder. She wanted a 'Wing trike, but they're WAY more expensive and don't handle as well. There are other issues too.

Getting old sucks, no two ways about it, but age is supposed to bring wisdom, so you should realize BEFORE something bad happens that it's time to get off two wheels. If that means going to three, then so be it. Some people just stop riding altogether. That choice is yours.

I can tell you or certain (as has already been said) going from two wheels to a Spyder is a serious transition! You' pretty much have to un-learn your riding habits and reflexes and develop new ones. The first time I rode a Spyder RT it scared cr** out of me. It was twitchy at low speeds and seemed to want to follow every rut in the road. Yes, you mastered two wheels, something not everyone does. Now you can master three, again something that not everyone does. My brother is several years older than me and has had a bike of some kind since he was 15. He refuses to ride my Spyder. I used to have trouble keeping up with him on a bike, but now I can do it with ease.

If you want to keep riding, it sounds like you're going to need a trike of some kind. Personally the Spyder is the only one I considered.

Thanks for the helpful comments. I'm rapidly finding this forum to be a fantastic source if both helpful information and sage advice.

Probably the demographic here aligns closer to mine. On the Honda/Kawasaki/Royal Enfield forums I used to frequent, hardly anyone responded at 4ish in the morning, but a lot us us here wake up earlier than most.

Thanks to all of you that responded! I really appreciate it, and I will probably be joining you around September.

GS1
05-11-2023, 06:52 AM
I too stopped riding 30 + years ago, buddy of mine had a 13 STS and I thought that would be interesting, so 8 months later in 2014 I got an 09 RS with 2300 miles on it. By the time of my accident in 2019, I had 63,000 miles up and loved every minute of it, then didn't have a ride till Dec 2022 when I got the 2020 RT. I didn't realize how much I had missed it. We get older and wiser (well, some of us, not me so much) and life throws us some curves, but, as my dad would say, just rip the bandaid off, it will hurt less. Don't let your pride get in your way of getting back out there. As the others have said it is different, but you have the knowledge of your past to guide you thru this stage. Enjoy the ride, it's like no other.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 07:00 AM
Seems to be I've entered a forum of like-minded geriatrics like myself. I'm going to enjoy being here.

Again, thanks!

Might make it easier to find hot chicks that want to ride with me as well.:dg2:

brian10x
05-11-2023, 07:37 AM
No pics means it could all be BS.

Here I am with my sweetheart:

Steve W.
05-11-2023, 07:52 AM
I think you will have a LOT fewer problems if you simply ditch the stereotypes portrayed by the pictures you are showing.

Look up a Spyder group in your area, find out when they are meeting for a ride. Join them IN YOUR CAR, not on your 2-wheeer. Chances are, given your stated disabilities, you will not be able to keep up with them unless you are in your car. THAT might convince you that Spyders are not the mobility scooters you think they are. They are actually some FUN machines.

The Spyder that lives at our place is actually my wife's, but I have put several hundred miles on it, too. In fact, both of my sons have borrowed it for a fun ride every once in a while. Each of them has his own bike, but took the Spyder BY CHOICE.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 08:16 AM
I think you will have a LOT fewer problems if you simply ditch the stereotypes portrayed by the pictures you are showing.

Look up a Spyder group in your area, find out when they are meeting for a ride. Join them IN YOUR CAR, not on your 2-wheeer. Chances are, given your stated disabilities, you will not be able to keep up with them unless you are in your car. THAT might convince you that Spyders are not the mobility scooters you think they are. They are actually some FUN machines.

The Spyder that lives at our place is actually my wife's, but I have put several hundred miles on it, too. In fact, both of my sons have borrowed it for a fun ride every once in a while. Each of them has his own bike, but took the Spyder BY CHOICE.

Thanks for the helpful comments. I actually got the Spyder "bug" from the motorcycle club I joined. Recently, I joined a motorcycle club for seniors called the retreads. A lot of the members have Spyders, and that is what first got me thinking about them.

BajaRon
05-11-2023, 08:32 AM
It's all perception. And an inaccurate one at that. I can still ride 2 wheels. I've got a Suzuki M109R sitting at home. I love that bike! But my Spyder is every bit as much fun as that bike. Just different fun.

Get past your unfounded insecurities and you'll be on your way to one of the best rides on the planet.

Good Luck!

chipveres
05-11-2023, 11:20 AM
:chat:
Its so hard.
I've been on motorcycles for 35 years. I don't consider myself a particularly great rider, but I get by.
In 2020, I had a back operation, and now my legs are a little weak from nerve damage, and I don't balance as well as most people.

With age, I'm also not as fearless as I once was.

I also take longer to heal.

My reaction time is not as fast, and my hearing and eyesight not as acute.

I usually ride every day to work. I spend all my down time researching three wheeled alternatives, mostly the Can-Am Spyder.

Then I start up my sweetheart after work. My beloved CBR500R.

And I change my mind. I don't have to give up motorcycles. This is the best (well, nearly the best) feeling in the world. I twist the throttle and I'm going to live forever.

Then some Prius cuts me off, a gust of wind catches me by surprise at a light, or my left foot slips on an invisible patch of gravel.

Then I'm home back on CycleTrader looking at Spyders again

But, I feel so......weak, as a man, to go from 2 to three wheels. What kind of weak, limp-wristed coward am I ?

I have to give it more time. I can do this. I can still ride. Or can I ?

Comments, of any kind, are welcome.

Brian
In sunny Tucson

You are the kind of limp-wristed coward who makes sensible decisions. So am I. So are 99% of the people on this board. We are the kind of people who don't want our love of motorcycling to end in an early grave.
Chip

brian10x
05-11-2023, 11:34 AM
Chip, you said it. I think you nailed it, and I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll be joining you on three wheels, brother!

ARtraveler
05-11-2023, 12:22 PM
When I picture myself on a Spyder, this image comes to mind:

The picture is wrong. Spyder has two wheels in the front. The rig you are showing is way to easy to tip over. :dontknow:

Each person has their own mind to make up concerning Spyder or no Spyder. You will have to make your own decision. A two page argument for or against is not going to change your mind. Based on your many posts, I think your mind is already made up. :bowdown:

brian10x
05-11-2023, 12:24 PM
I'm doing it. Just a matter of money now.

Jesster72
05-11-2023, 12:30 PM
A different perspective here - I went in on the Spyder because I thought it was my next big adventure. My wife and I tour once or twice a year a week to 10 days at a time. And I ride to work every chance I get. No issues with the Victory we owned previous to the Spyder. No issues with me riding the big Vic - no health issues, fear, etc. I rode my sister's F3 a few years back and thought - this is cool! Saved up my nickels and dimes, and went all in. No regrets at all. Own it - my buddies all give me heck, but I give it right back. All good natured, but even if it wasn't, its MY ride. I'm having a blast and loving each ride I get on this machine. Some say its nowhere near a 2 wheeled experience, but to me, I am in the wind and down the road, just like before (with a little more storage, and a lot more comfort!).

brian10x
05-11-2023, 12:39 PM
A different perspective here - I went in on the Spyder because I thought it was my next big adventure. My wife and I tour once or twice a year a week to 10 days at a time. And I ride to work every chance I get. No issues with the Victory we owned previous to the Spyder. No issues with me riding the big Vic - no health issues, fear, etc. I rode my sister's F3 a few years back and thought - this is cool! Saved up my nickels and dimes, and went all in. No regrets at all. Own it - my buddies all give me heck, but I give it right back. All good natured, but even if it wasn't, its MY ride. I'm having a blast and loving each ride I get on this machine. Some say its nowhere near a 2 wheeled experience, but to me, I am in the wind and down the road, just like before (with a little more storage, and a lot more comfort!).

On the road, and in the wind. That's what I need to enjoy life. Spyder F3, I think. Closest to a sporty model they have. :2excited:

baxter
05-11-2023, 03:09 PM
My first three wheeler was going from a 2017 Harley Ultra to a 2020 RTL. When I was riding it back home the 260 miles, I thought that I made one of the biggest mistakes. All the time I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike and not in it like my Harley. Like many, it took about 1000 miles before I became more comfortable with the bike and it's different riding. I now have a 2022 F3 Limited Special and now I feel more in the bike and more fun riding it. I can take curves faster and don't feel like bike wants to throw me off. More like a two wheeler feel.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 03:20 PM
My first three wheeler was going from a 2017 Harley Ultra to a 2020 RTL. When I was riding it back home the 260 miles, I thought that I made one of the biggest mistakes. All the time I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike and not in it like my Harley. Like many, it took about 1000 miles before I became more comfortable with the bike and it's different riding. I now have a 2022 F3 Limited Special and now I feel more in the bike and more fun riding it. I can take curves faster and don't feel like bike wants to throw me off. More like a two wheeler feel.

For me, at this stage of my life, with my back and leg problems, motorcycles have become a double-edged sword. On one hand, they excite and exhilarate me, and keep my mind focused like a laser beam, on the other hand, I'm in constant fear of dropping my bike or getting in an accident, and I rarely ever get to truly relax for more than a few seconds at a time.

slhanks004
05-11-2023, 04:57 PM
I've been riding motorcycles since 1973. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra Limited. Health reasons dictated that I could no longer continue safely on 2 wheels, so I sold my Harley 3 years ago and bought a 2022 Spyder RTL last November. It is the best feeling in the world to be able to do something I never thought I would do again.

slhanks004
05-11-2023, 05:01 PM
I've been riding motorcycles since 1973. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra Limited. Health reasons dictated that I could no longer continue safely on 2 wheels, so I sold my Harley 3 years ago and bought a 2022 Spyder RTL last November. It is the best feeling in the world to be able to do something I never thought I would do again. And no, I don't consider myself "limp wristed".

brian10x
05-11-2023, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm sold. Now I just have to rob my 401K, or save a couple more months.

linguine
05-11-2023, 05:09 PM
Howdy do

Long time m.c rider. But at 78 the challenge of picking up my feet and legs [two hip replacements a few years back] while stopped, and keeping the bike upright using those same appendages, all became too much for me. It was clear about a year ago that I had to find an alternative, or quit riding.

I knew that a Can-Am would be my "forever" bike, but the cost of a new one was out of reach back then. The 2020 Spyder RTLtd caught my eye at a RideNow Powersports near me in Feb of this year. My wife and I sat down with sales and finance, and we made a deal we could live with.

What's the big deal? Only one thing: PUSH the grip with the outside palm when turning. That's it. I slipped into that bike like a hand into a glove.

We just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip from Phoenix to Kanab, UT. We took in Marble Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Kaibab Mountains, Zion National Park, Glen Canyon and Lake Powell, and home. My wife is joining up with a ladies' single ride over that same route later this year. We made the trip to get her comfortable to take this big trike. She drove probably 700 of those miles. She had no problem at all. Twisties, steep curves over poorly crowned roads, the works. She had no problem.

She is scheduled for the MSF Trike course in two weeks. She already did the expert rider course on her 2017 Honda Rebel 500.

I have no more anxiety about her being on this trike.

Therefor, for us, it really amounted to the Nike catch phrase: JUST DO IT.

Isopedella
05-11-2023, 05:28 PM
I dont call my F3 my Mobility Scooter for nothing.

I'm old with a beaten up body and carry some permanent injuries, had licenses and bikes right through since the 70's.

A bit cranky if anything.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:08 PM
I'm a bit cranky myself. Comes with the territory at my age, I guess!

BigLenny
05-11-2023, 06:34 PM
Brian,

You're gonna do fine with a Spyder. I too had to transition from 2 wheels to 3 back in 2020. Bought our Spyder RTL on October 7th, 2020, and 2 days later my wife and I took off on a 1500 mile ride through Northern Arizona, Utah, Nevada. The first 2 days I literally thought I had made a big mistake by purchasing it. I was worn out. I had fought it like a bear. The evening of that 2nd day of the trip, I called CRuiserJoe from here on the Forum, and explained how I was worn out. He instructed me to get very light with my grip on the bars, and let the bike track where it wants to. He assured me it wasn't going to randomly make a hard right or left like I was feeling it would. The advice changed everything. The rest of the trip i worked on being easy with the grips, and by the end of the 1500 miles I loved the dang thing, and have ever since.
You're gonna most likely experience that too. But you'll do fine.
As far as feeling like less of a man by being on 3 wheels, well, I can't help you with that one. I'm not a guy that lets my toys dictate whether i feel like a real man or not. Being self sufficient, being a good husband, father, and patriarch for my family is usually what ties into the real man feeling stuff for me.

So, I say, dive into it!! Life is lived best when trying new experiences!!

Welcome to forum.

Big Lenny

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:45 PM
Brian,

You're gonna do fine with a Spyder. I too had to transition from 2 wheels to 3 back in 2020. Bought our Spyder RTL on October 7th, 2020, and 2 days later my wife and I took off on a 1500 mile ride through Northern Arizona, Utah, Nevada. The first 2 days I literally thought I had made a big mistake by purchasing it. I was worn out. I had fought it like a bear. The evening of that 2nd day of the trip, I called CRuiserJoe from here on the Forum, and explained how I was worn out. He instructed me to get very light with my grip on the bars, and let the bike track where it wants to. He assured me it wasn't going to randomly make a hard right or left like I was feeling it would. The advice changed everything. The rest of the trip i worked on being easy with the grips, and by the end of the 1500 miles I loved the dang thing, and have ever since.
You're gonna most likely experience that too. But you'll do fine.
As far as feeling like less of a man by being on 3 wheels, well, I can't help you with that one. I'm not a guy that lets my toys dictate whether i feel like a real man or not. Being self sufficient, being a good husband, father, and patriarch for my family is usually what ties into the real man feeling stuff for me.

So, I say, dive into it!! Life is lived best when trying new experiences!!

Welcome to forum.

Big Lenny

[B]Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe if I strap on my side arm.

Peter Aawen
05-11-2023, 07:34 PM
I dont call my F3 my Mobility Scooter for nothing.

I'm old with a beaten up body and carry some permanent injuries, had licenses and bikes right through since the 70's.

A bit cranky if anything.

My RT frequently gets referred to as "My High-Speed Mobility Scooter!" :roflblack: :ohyea:

chipveres
05-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Chip, you said it. I think you nailed it, and I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll be joining you on three wheels, brother!

U R very welcome. I really didn't mean to be brutal. Emails often come out harsher than intended.
Chip
2020 Spyder RTL
"Stella by Starlight"

Raven
05-12-2023, 02:27 PM
I rode for over 55 years.
Issues with my left hand and a low speed balance problem caused me to park my almost two years ago. ( plus misspent youth)
A friend suggested to try a Spyder.
Took a two hour introductory last year and had a blast.
Sold my two wheeler this year.
Get my new Ryker in July.
When I was two or three, my first bike had three wheels, looks like my last will too.

Raven
05-12-2023, 02:29 PM
I see I can't type or spell today, need more coffee.:gaah:

brian10x
05-12-2023, 02:38 PM
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
We come into this world bald and can't walk. As I get older, I get closer to where I started.

wmjweber45
05-12-2023, 04:52 PM
Went through the same thing. Had to give up my CTX700 when even that got too heavy for my legs. You may not enjoy riding the Spyder as much as the two-wheeler. I certainly don't. But its way better than not riding at all.

brian10x
05-12-2023, 05:12 PM
.....But its way better than not riding at all.

And one hell of a lot more fun than falling off and dropping a bike on my leg, and not being able get out from under it, let alone pick it it! (again)

linguine
05-12-2023, 05:55 PM
Been there. Never fun. Last time it took two people to get the bike off my leg. That was my sign that the time had come to make a real shift in my thinking.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-13-2023, 12:12 AM
I think the reason I changed is different from most of the members here. I had an on-again, off-again, m/c riding history. About 12 years after I sold my GL1100 I bought a 2005 Goldwing 1800 as a retirement present for myself. I really enjoyed it. But in 2012 I started to rethink things. I dropped the 'wing 6 times in 2 years. All were while I was moving quite slow or stopped. That bothered me some, but by itself did not push me to go a Spyder.

What really did it for me was traveling on the Interstate in Utah. I was going around a long gentle curve at about 80 mph when all of a sudden I got to thinking that if anything went wrong, like a rabbit crossing the road, or a rock rolling across, and I were to hit it, I was a GONER! The vulnerability of being on two wheels, even with careful driving, began to eat at me. I decided I needed to go to three wheels. I was going to convert my 'wing to a trike but the economics and the lack of computerized stability controls, it didn't make sense when compared to a Spyder. I test rode my nephew's RT and that confirmed for me that from the standpoint of safety offered by the stability of the Spyder, that was the way to go.

Near the end of my first long trip of about 4000 miles I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the truck stop store I suddenly realized I was feeling a WHOLE LOT SAFER AT 80 MPH on the Spyder than I ever did at 70 mph on the Goldwing. For me, ryding the Spyder has REINSTALLED THE JOY OF RIDING!

brian10x
05-13-2023, 07:40 AM
.....Near the end of my first long trip of about 4000 miles I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the truck stop store I suddenly realized I was feeling a WHOLE LOT SAFER AT 80 MPH on the Spyder than I ever did at 70 mph on the Goldwing. For me, ryding the Spyder has REINSTALLED THE JOY OF RIDING!

I think you nailed it. I can never truly relax on my bike for more than 2-3 seconds at a time, because I'm always worried that the tiniest error, or the smallest road imperfection, could land me on the pavement at 75-80 MPH. Its still fun, but I'm so tense about the possibility of permanent injury, that it really fatigues me. This old body don't heal as quickly as it used to!

vito1943
05-13-2023, 09:43 AM
There sure are a lot of us former 2 wheelers now on Spyders! I don't think its weakness at all, just a realization of the changes we go through as we age. For me, what caused me to make the change from a Goldwing to a Spyder was having two tip overs in a short time two summers ago when I was 78. My wife, who was/is my frequent riding companion, was getting increasingly nervous about riding with me. The riding wasn't the problem, it was the stopping. Between the Goldwing and the two of us it was close to 1,300 pounds relying on my left foot being firmly on the ground, and both of those tip overs happened when my foot slipped just a bit (fortunately with me riding solo at the time). I've known many riders who gave up riding completely at an age much younger than 78, but I was unwilling to even consider giving up riding. I knew the choice was a much lighter bike or go to 3 wheels. I looked at a Triumph T120 but knew that my wife would never be comfortable on that little pillion seat even if I added a backrest. So I grudgingly took a demo ride on a Spyder and found that it took all of 5 minutes for me to decide that this was the way to go.

The Spyder is certainly a different experience, and I do miss the leaning, but the comfort and stability of the Spyder, especially when riding two up, more than makes up for it. And when I feel the need for the 2 wheel experience I still have my Honda scooter to ride. With its 149cc engine I can still do 65 mph so some spirited riding is still possible, and I can enjoy leaning into the curves.

I'm hoping the Spyder is what keeps me riding for years to come.

brian10x
05-13-2023, 09:50 AM
....The riding wasn't the problem, it was the stopping. ....

I hear you loud and clear. Dropping my bike doesn't worry me, its hitting the ground with a hot motorcycle on top of me that keeps me up at night.

I'm pricing out Spyders as we speak. I'm planning on making my move in September at the latest.

The only thing is, I'm sure going to miss Honda reliability. My research shows Can Am has a less than stellar reputation. I wish they had real competition is this market segment. If they made a Goldwing with two front wheels I'd sell a kidney for one.

tntnj
05-13-2023, 10:24 AM
I bought a 2017 F3 LDT, because of back issues (70 years old) , I sold it because I wanted to back to a Harley . Well I did not even keep for 4 months , I sold it and went back to a Can Am, I did not like the gear shifting and the Ride. I was used to the quiet ride and easy shifting and the safety of the Can Am. Once you get used to riding the Can Am, you will not want to go back. Now I can go on 400 + mile rides with ease.

brian10x
05-13-2023, 10:38 AM
"Now I can go on 400 + mile rides with ease."

That kind of mileage is just a dream right now. My bad back likes the forward lean angle, and my wrists handle it fine, but my legs cramp up and my neck hurts. Right now, a 250 mile day is an Olympic marathon to me! Now I don't want to go full "lazyboy" , so I'm looking at buying a base model F3, with foot pegs and no windshield, and more of a bare bones sporty persona.

As you can see, I like things a bit sporty!

Bartender
05-13-2023, 11:28 AM
I rode on two wheels for the better part of 60 years. (I'm 81 years old) Two years ago I caught Covid and was in the hospital for five days. When I was discharged I had lost much of my leg strength and could not handle the top heavy Kawasaki Concour 1400 that was my ride. Loved that bike and it's extreme performance but had to accept that I would not likely ever be able to operate it safely. Sold it and bought a 2019 RTL and thought this isn't so bad. Took a lot of ribbing from my riding buddies but what the hell I was still riding. Last fall took the 2019 in to have a rear tire mounted and they were uncrating a 2022 Sea to Sky and made me an offer too good to refuse so I traded. The 2019 was great but the 2022 is fantastic. Riding buddies still give me a lot of grief but what the H.. This year one of my riding buddies who is my age dropped his bike and couldn't get out from under it without help for several of us. Last year he drove off road into a ditch at a corner because he lost control. I told him he needed to look at a Can Am and he said never it's two wheels or nothing. I suggested it might be three wheels or dead if he wasn't lucky. I love my Spyder and although I wish I still had the Kawasaki I'm still riding so I won't complain.

brian10x
05-13-2023, 11:30 AM
I just found a bike locally. 2018 Spyder F3-S with 1,571 miles for $$16,992.

What do you guys think?

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-13-2023, 01:06 PM
I just found a bike locally. 2018 Spyder F3-S with 1,571 miles for $$16,992.

What do you guys think?

Worth taking a good hard look at. Take the VIN to a dealer to see if there are any outstanding recalls or tech service notices on it. Plan on changing the fluids. Check NADA Guides about the pricing. If all checks out and you like the price I would say you have a winner! The bike is 5 years old so the battery could well be on it's last legs.

brian10x
05-13-2023, 02:03 PM
They couldn't sell it to me anyway. Parts are on order for the sprocket recall. Just as well, it has a chunk of paint missing on the nose, about the size of a quarter. I doubt they would fix it, but if they call me back after the recall is done, I'll try.

vito1943
05-14-2023, 08:26 AM
I understand that some are unsure of the reliability of the Spyder, especially if they are used to the rock solid reliability of Honda. I switched just short of two years ago from a Honda Goldwing to an RT and so far have had zero issues with the bike. I had the oil changed at 3,000 miles as required, and have not needed to go back to the dealer since then. I've put about 9,000 miles on the Spyder so far. I just realized that I did, in fact, have a small problem with the side case not opening easily, but I tightened up the cable underneath (simple fix that even a non-mechanically inclined person like myself can do) and eliminated this little issue.

I'll add two additional comments which might be of interest to someone thinking of buying a CanAm Spyder, one positive and one negative. The negative is that the bike is designed to use premium gas. The positive is that passengers love the Spyder. My wife says that she is far more comfortable on the Spyder than she was even on my luxury Goldwing that I used to ride before the Spyder.

brian10x
05-14-2023, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input. I don't like having to sacrifice the reliability that I'm used to with Honda, but since Honda doesn't make this bike, I'm rolling the dice. I think I'll plan on buying brand new to avoid the risk of first owner neglect.

Its going to be difficult going from mid grade and 71MPG to premium and 35MPG. That will be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I plan on putting a lot more miles in the Spyder.

old Timer
05-15-2023, 04:52 PM
Short answer. Not if you have ridden ATV's, Go Karts and the like.

asp125
05-15-2023, 05:07 PM
Relatable story. I was recovering from a broken ankle after a track crash and while I was hobbling with a cane, I had to scratch the itch and tried out a Spyder. A few years later I got one so my SO and I could tour two up. I still have my two wheelers, and for now no Spyder. But like you, at 63 I don't heal quite as fast. Right now I have a stress fracture in one heel that is taking some time to knit. But I can see at some point before I hang up my helmet, I would go back to a Spyder before completely giving up riding. For now, riding keeps my reflexes and eyesight sharp, but if I hit a deer or "grass clippings!" and end up in the hospital it could be a long road back. Vitamin D, Calcium, weight lifting.. it gets harder each year fighting aging.

Peteoz
05-15-2023, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't like having to sacrifice the reliability that I'm used to with Honda, but since Honda doesn't make this bike, I'm rolling the dice. I think I'll plan on buying brand new to avoid the risk of first owner neglect.

……..and just remember……if Honda (or BMW) did make a reverse trike, the pricing would start at $50k to get that reliability, not $30k, Brian ;) …….the market would simply not be there:thumbup:

Pete

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-15-2023, 05:31 PM
Its going to be difficult going from mid grade and 71MPG to premium and 35MPG. That will be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since I plan on putting a lot more miles in the Spyder.[/B]

If you do a search on here you'll discover that many owners don't agree that premium fuel is mandatory. In my eight years on this forum the one thing I have never seen posted is someone having an engine failure due to using 87 octane gasoline. In fact, no one has posted photos of the internals of an engine that used only regular gas. Why? Probably because no one has to tear an engine down to clean or repair damage caused by regular gas.

brian10x
05-15-2023, 05:36 PM
……..and just remember……if Honda (or BMW) did make a reverse trike, the pricing would start at $50k to get that reliability, not $30k, Brian ;) …….the market would simply not be there:thumbup:

Pete

Have you seen the price on new Goldwing trikes? Yikes!

ARtraveler
05-15-2023, 06:42 PM
Have you seen the price on new Goldwing trikes? Yikes!

And if you "trike" a Goldwing, they usually pull the GW Warranty as well as refusing to work on them.

Bfromla
05-15-2023, 11:24 PM
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
We come into this world bald and can't walk. As I get older, I get closer to where I started.

brian10x
05-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Did it.

ARtraveler
05-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Did it.

:congrats:

mark4Jesus
05-21-2023, 02:18 PM
Did it.

Congratulations!!!

brian10x
05-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Guess what? I never dropped the bike once. I parked in a gravel parking lot, and TURNED MY FRONT WHEELS, without panic. Its almost TOO easy. I won't get floorboards or a windshield or cruise. That would just be cheating.

Well, maybe cruise. I read I only have to change the right handgrip asy.

SeniorRider
05-21-2023, 07:00 PM
Brian, if your bike is an F3-S, it should already have cruise control.