PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on iMotorsports?

brian10x
05-09-2023, 03:17 PM
I am strongly considering a Can Am Spyder after riding motorcycles for 35 years, and finding it harder to balance. Close calls are getting all too frequent.

I saw iMotorsports talked about favorably on this forum, and I was looking for a few more opinions on them. I was looking to buy online and having my new bike shipped (free?) to Arizona. Is it true they don't charge excessive dealer fees like everyone else?

Was it an easy transaction? Fast delivery ? No surprises?

And if anyone from Arizona is on this board, how difficult is it to register an out of state vehicle? I think its 8.6% rip off sales tax here.

Thanks for your opinions!

Brian
In sunny Tucson[

Ex-Rocket
05-09-2023, 03:26 PM
Well I have purchased 2 Spyder's from them and both times I had a trade-in. I was happy with the trade-in value both times and they delivered and picked up my trade free both times. The last time I dealt with them was back in 2018 and they were very easy to deal with. I've heard some negative comments recently about not getting back via phone call. Give them a try as you don't have to buy from them and see how it goes. Good luck.

brian10x
05-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Do they charge excessive dealer fees? And there is no apostrophe in Spyders, but I'm a grammar nazi.

PhillyPod
05-09-2023, 04:32 PM
Brian,

Greetings from sunny Sedona where we have 10% sales tax!:yikes:

I can't answer all your questions but can give you a few thoughts. I bought my 2017 RT-S from iMotorsports and did have some issues, although after 5 years I have tried to get past it. The sales guy was not the most responsive. I also had some issues with the Finance folks so just decided to pay cash for it. The delivery was free, but it took WEEKS beyond what I was told it would take to actually get it. It's a long distance from their place to AZ so you have to wait for them to have a truck heading in our direction. I can't remember their fees and it's been long enough that I am sure things have changed. None if it matters once you take possession of the Spyder and start enjoying it. (All of that being said, I just had a very positive interaction with Thomas Palmer in Finance there with buying an extended warranty for my 2021 RT)

As for registration, they provided me with temp tags which, unfortunately, had expired by the time they arrived. Dealing with ADOT (I believe I used one of their approved independents) to get it formally registered in AZ was no problem at all. Just paying that darned 10% tax really hurts!

Warren

brian10x
05-09-2023, 04:37 PM
10% sales tax? Must be why only rich people live in Sedona!

I currently ride a Honda CBR500R and it took a week and a half to get it delivered from 450 miles North of me. THAT was torture, so the long wait might be a deal breaker. I might see if one of my local dealers will work with me if I tell them how much I want to buy from them and lay it on thick.

That is, of course, after I sell the Honda and accumulate a small pile of cash. Or the other way around. That Spyder is a tad more expensive than the average bike.

K80Shooter
05-09-2023, 04:51 PM
brian10x, for me your posts are hard to read because of the blue color font.
Not sure if it's just me or what.

brian10x
05-09-2023, 04:55 PM
Its probably the blue font. Duly noted and corrected as necessary.

oldguyinTX
05-09-2023, 05:25 PM
Things may not be the same now, but when I bought my (New, leftover) 2017 RT-S in July 2018, I was very pleased with the whole process. I traded in my 2013 RT-L, told them what I would like to get for it, and they agreed, no problem. The paperwork, got done really quickly, and I was lucky that a truck was coming my way early the following week. They showed up on the promised day, albeit at 11:45pm. The driver unloaded the new one, loaded the trade-in, and away he went. Of course, I stayed up all night fooling with it, being a new toy and all, installed a Wolo Bad Boy horn-my first farke!- and as soon as the sun came up I was out of the garage like a Derby winner out of the gate. Also bought the 3 year B.E.S.T warranty from them in 2020 for $671.00. I would buy from them again.

brian10x
05-09-2023, 05:41 PM
3 year extended warranty for $671.00 (if most things are covered) is a smoking deal.

And if I were a WOLO bad boy, I'd stay up all night as well.

Brentc
05-09-2023, 06:17 PM
I purchased a new 2022 and the prices for the new machine and trade of my 2014 were very good. Follow up after the sale was poor. I’ve had to take the spyder to my local dealer after numerous issues were not addressed prior to shipping that I explicitly asked to have done before it came to me. Personally the amount of savings I think I may have gotten were more than wasted with my time and effort to get things fixed, so next time I will buy local. Others have had no issues as you have stated, but wanted to throw my experience out there.

ARtraveler
05-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Similar to ExRocket in post #2.

I have purchased two Spyders from iMotorsports also. I dealt with them in both 2020 and 2021. I was very pleased with both of my deals. I also had trade-ins. I negotiated what were good prices for both of my purchases. Delivery was in a couple weeks after they received the payment. I paid cash for both my vehicles. I registered both vehicles in AR when they arrived, and yes, I had to pay AR sales tax on them.

I too have heard other reports since that time. The two things that stand out for me is failure to return phone calls, and not as good on deals these days. In both cases, I did NOT buy an extended warranty. They do have one of the lowest prices for that. Warranty is now gone on both my machines, but happily none have needed special repairs. Lamonster Garage has done most of my oil change services and replaced tires when needed.

For me, there were no ugly surprises. Everything was as they said it would be.

Pooch
05-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Have you checked out this 2020 RTL for sale on the For Sale By Owner on this forum.
He is in Arizona.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?152823-2020-RTL-Chrome

Wahrsuul
05-10-2023, 06:42 AM
I bought my 2014 RTS from Imotorsports in 2019.

Not a bad transaction overall, but I don't think I'd do it again. They seemed to have trouble getting me everything because I was doing my own financing. I had to call back several times, and email paperwork back and forth.

The tryke arrived much faster than expected - they said it might be 2-3 weeks, but within a few days I got a text from the driver with my delivery.

After getting the tryke, I found one of the hinges on the rear side bag was broken. Didn't they inspect it? Or were they hoping I wouldn't notice before my complaint window was over? When I sent pics, they were responsive and were going to arrange to have the local dealer fix it, but I asked them to send me the part so I could do it myself. It arrived in a week.

The salesman didn't seem to know any history on the tryke. No idea if the 30K service or even an oil change had been done, so between the hinge repair and all that, it was a lot of "getting to know the tryke" happening very quickly.

So, overall not a bad transaction, and if there's nothing local you want (which was my case) then I'd do it. But if you're willing to wait and maybe drive a little local might be a better choice.

brian10x
05-10-2023, 08:14 AM
Have you checked out this 2020 RTL for sale on the For Sale By Owner on this forum.
He is in Arizona.
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?152823-2020-RTL-Chrome

I don't even have CLOSE to that kind of money. I'm hoping to have enough saved up (+ the sale of my beloved Honda) by September to maybe squeak by on a base model or something used <$ 20K all in. 18-20K is already going to stretch this lower middle class worker bee to the limit.
But thanks for the heads up. Its appreciated!

PeterKelly
05-10-2023, 09:13 AM
I had a delivery issue with my RTL. Despite agreeing to a delivery window in writing the bike arrived when I was out of town. It ultimately got to me about a month after the agreed date. The bike had been on a long journey before I finally got it and the battery was dead.

I certainly saved some money on dealer prep and fees but on balance I would buy locally next time.

brian10x
05-10-2023, 10:36 AM
I think my best strategy might be to print out the total cost from iMotorsports and take it to my local dealer, let them know I can get it at "that" price and ask them to work with me. If they won't, then plan "A" will work. I'll just have to wait for delivery.

ulflyer
05-11-2023, 05:58 AM
I recently traded my F3T for a new '22RT, working with Jessica. What they offered was much better than local dealers. The RT was delivered to my house in perfect condition and it now has about 1500 miles on it. Overall the trade was seamless. One final note: if you live in N.C. you have to have it inspected before registering it. A local station told me it was not necessary; no big problem other than I hate to stand in line again .

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:06 AM
I recently traded my F3T for a new '22RT, working with Jessica. What they offered was much better than local dealers. The RT was delivered to my house in perfect condition and it now has about 1500 miles on it. Overall the trade was seamless. One final note: if you live in N.C. you have to have it inspected before registering it. A local station told me it was not necessary; no big problem other than I hate to stand in line again .

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have enough saved up by September. I may end up using iMotorsports as leverage with the local dealer. If they won't play ball, then I'll buy online. If I buy new, that decision should be easy, if I buy used, its another matter altogether. I like to inspect a used machine in person.

That brings up another interesting subject. New VS used. I think the risk of buying a used machine could be far less than that of buying a used sportbike, since most Spyder owners are old dudes like me, and we tend to take better care of our machines.

Wahrsuul
05-11-2023, 06:17 AM
I went used because I wasn't sure how well I'd like it. I'd taken a test ride on a 2010, and wasn't too sure. But I took a leap of faith and here I am.

I've seen a lot of older Spyders with VERY few miles on them. The PO of mine apparently liked to ride - according to the title and listing, my '14 had 30K on it when I bought it in '19. It had a few farkles on it that I removed. That's another thing about buying used - you may be able to get some accessories already installed.

At this point, I'd consider buying new just because I'm settled in on trykes now and would keep it long enough for it to be worth it.

slhanks004
05-11-2023, 05:06 PM
It's not hard to register an out of state vehicle here in AZ. You have to take the vehicle to an MVD office for a level 1 inspection, so they can physically verify the VIN. Then you pay the fees and you're on your way. AZ doesn't issue paper titles anymore, they are electronic, that's fairly new and I am not sure if that changes the process any.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:10 PM
Well yes and no, actually. I applied for paper titles for all my bikes through the AZDOT web site, and got them in the mail. But you gotta ask, they won't give them out otherwise.

linguine
05-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have enough saved up by September. I may end up using iMotorsports as leverage with the local dealer. If they won't play ball, then I'll buy online. If I buy new, that decision should be easy, if I buy used, its another matter altogether. I like to inspect a used machine in person.

That brings up another interesting subject. New VS used. I think the risk of buying a used machine could be far less than that of buying a used sportbike, since most Spyder owners are old dudes like me, and we tend to take better care of our machines.

I bought my 2020 RTLtd from RideNow Powersports, Peoria AZ. The price seemed quite fair. Wrap my trade-in into the mix, and the financing came out just right. The RLT had 8800 miles on it.
I also joined a Spyder group here in AZ on facebook. THE PREVIOUS OWNER was in there; he told me all about the bike, and said that the bike was 100% maintained right there at that dealership. That was very reassuring to me.

I think gently used is the ticket.

brian10x
05-11-2023, 06:22 PM
I'm not too scared about used, as most people on Spyders are old, like me, and we normally take care of our stuff, and rarely use the spyder for stunting or wheelies.

brian10x
05-21-2023, 10:27 AM
iMotorsports only offered $4000.00 for my 2022 Honda. They also added the usual stealership fees. I passed, because you just can't buy a new bike without ridiculous freight and setup fees. The trade offer was just a major insult to injury. Screw them. I bought a used 2018 with a few scuffs and scratches for $14500.00. See below for the actual reply copied and pasted from my email.

Brian,
Here is the pricing breakdown for you

2022 Can-Am Spyder F3 Steel Black Metallic
$17,999
$1515 - Freight (Can-Ams Logistic Surcharge and Destination Fee)
$299 - Setup
$347 - DOC fees (Documentation and paperwork)
$35 - ERT (Electronic Registration )
TAX and PLates/Sticker - whatever your State/local charges are

$20,195 + tax & plates

I did receive your trade evaluation, His offer is $4,000

Any questions just let me know.

Paul Stanko
Sales Executive
630-634-8437

ARtraveler
05-21-2023, 02:04 PM
iMotorsports only offered $4000.00 for my 2022 Honda. They also added the usual stealership fees. I passed, because you just can't buy a new bike without ridiculous freight and setup fees. The trade offer was just a major insult to injury. Screw them. I bought a used 2018 with a few scuffs and scratches for $14500.00. See below for the actual reply copied and pasted from my email.

Brian,
Here is the pricing breakdown for you

2022 Can-Am Spyder F3 Steel Black Metallic
$17,999
$1515 - Freight (Can-Ams Logistic Surcharge and Destination Fee)
$299 - Setup
$347 - DOC fees (Documentation and paperwork)
$35 - ERT (Electronic Registration )
TAX and PLates/Sticker - whatever your State/local charges are

$20,195 + tax & plates

I did receive your trade evaluation, His offer is $4,000

Any questions just let me know.

Paul Stanko
Sales Executive
630-634-8437

The times they are a changin. About $2K more than my two deals with them. Trades were satisfactory for me. I am talking 2020 and 2021 here. You will note, there is no delivery fee that I can see though.

brian10x
05-21-2023, 02:49 PM
Yeah, shipping is free. BTW, I've done about 150 miles on the Spyder since yesterday. Never dropped the bike once. Never feared gravel parking lots once. Never worried about putting my foot down on an oily patch.....Not once.

WingmanRT
05-23-2023, 09:54 AM
I am strongly considering a Can Am Spyder after riding motorcycles for 35 years, and finding it harder to balance. Close calls are getting all too frequent.

I saw iMotorsports talked about favorably on this forum, and I was looking for a few more opinions on them. I was looking to buy online and having my new bike shipped (free?) to Arizona. Is it true they don't charge excessive dealer fees like everyone else?

Was it an easy transaction? Fast delivery ? No surprises?

And if anyone from Arizona is on this board, how difficult is it to register an out of state vehicle? I think its 8.6% rip off sales tax here.

Thanks for your opinions!

Brian
In sunny Tucson[

We purchased my wife's 2020 RT from them. We travel full time in an RV and at the time, we were in AZ. They are in Chicago. They gave us a great price on her trade-in, a great price on her bike and will deliver anywhere in the country for free. I heavily recommend them. We are purchasing all our Spyders from them in the future. I was nervous about such a large transaction (over the phone - I am old school. You can do most of it via Internet, but I prefer speaking with a live person.) They talked to us often and openly. They worked for us. I only called them because Lamonster recommended them. Good enough for him...

GWHIZZ
06-19-2023, 03:16 PM
I bought a 2022 F3L from them (invoice dated 05/16/23). Paid my SC sales tax (max of $500) to them as they reciprocate with SC. I got the 2022 price on my Glacier Blue Spyder and they did deliver free by not charging me extra for that, but I believe somehow it was paid in the bike price, etc. I paid freight, doc fee, and license fee. Fair deal, not great. Right after I bought my bike, I saw that Motomember in Purcellville, VA had a new 2022 marked down an additional $2K. I wish I would have had THAT deal! Anyways, Jessika in sales was very responsive to me (emails/phone calls). Finance people were good and responsive, but I paid cash and did not buy any additional insurances. Will buy the BEST extended warranty in month 23 of bike ownership, if I still even ride then. Bike came with a defective battery (I had it tested at O'Reilly's Auto), and IM allowed me to get a new Yuasa battery locally and sent me an additional inconvenience fee for having to deal with that great disappointment of having a brand-new bike that would not start a day later. One thing that probably is BRP problem is that my glove box and both side bags have locking issues... will not stay shut. My left side bag opened while riding, and the Rear Cargo flag came down scaring me to death on the highway.

rjinaz86323
06-19-2023, 04:26 PM
tax on motor vehicles purchased from a dealer is 5.6% in AZ. If purchased from a private party there is no sale tax.

ulflyer
06-20-2023, 12:08 PM
Recently got new '22 RT from them; trading in my '16 F3T. Had my bank wire funds and the deal was done in one day. All paperwork was provided online at that time and in a few weeks a title. Eventually a trailer pulled up at 8pm, used my F3 to provide lights for him to unload. We swapped bikes and all was good. NC tax,tag, etc came to just over $600. Jessica was sales and go between. Very satisfied with them.