PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed modulator head lights?

LALoner
05-04-2023, 08:55 PM
I cannot find a reference. SO , has anyone installed a system to allow the headlights to alternate and flash while the motor is running .

I have seen other MCs with that option but no Spyders .

exbrc1
05-04-2023, 09:55 PM
I cannot find a reference. SO , has anyone installed a system to allow the headlights to alternate and flash while the motor is running .

THERE IS A DEVICE CALLED A HEADLIGHT MODULATOR. WHAT IT DOES IS PULSES THE HEADLIGHT WHEN IT IS ON HIGH BEAM ABOUT 4 TIMES A SECOND. ON COMING TRAFFIC ESPECIALLY LEFT TURNERS WILL NOTICE SOME THING IS THERE AND TAKE A SECOND LOOK. IT IS NOT MENT TO MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A EMERGENCY VEHICAL JUST TO MAKE YOU MORE VISABLE. I HAVE HAD THEM ON MANY OF MY BIKES SINCE 1978. THER IS ONE COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURES TME FOR CAN-AM SPYDERS. https://kisantech.com/p115w-t4-canam.html ALLSO THEY ARE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-04-2023, 11:42 PM
THERE IS A DEVICE CALLED A HEADLIGHT MODULATOR. WHAT IT DOES IS PULSES THE HEADLIGHT WHEN IT IS ON HIGH BEAM ABOUT 4 TIMES A SECOND. ON COMING TRAFFIC ESPECIALLY LEFT TURNERS WILL NOTICE SOME THING IS THERE AND TAKE A SECOND LOOK. IT IS NOT MENT TO MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A EMERGENCY VEHICAL JUST TO MAKE YOU MORE VISABLE. I HAVE HAD THEM ON MANY OF MY BIKES SINCE 1978. THER IS ONE COMPANY THAT MANUFACTURES TME FOR CAN-AM SPYDERS. https://kisantech.com/p115w-t4-canam.html ALLSO THEY ARE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

Just a word of caution, I highly advise of check your STate Laws on this...... Doing this to any motorcycle operated on a highway may be a violation of ....if the vehicle wasn't manufactured with it ie OEM, then it may not be legal .... good luck .... Mike ....PS, personally I think they are a great idea .....

Flamewinger
05-05-2023, 01:00 AM
Just a word of caution, I highly advise of check your STate Laws on this...... Doing this to any motorcycle operated on a highway may be a violation of ....if the vehicle wasn't manufactured with it ie OEM, then it may not be legal .... good luck .... Mike ....PS, personally I think they are a great idea .....

Modulating motorcycle headlights is a federal
Law in the U.S. and Canada. Some states have their own code which follows the federal one but with a few differences.

As for alternating headlights, only emergency vehicles are allowed to have that.

pidjones
05-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Had them on my GL1800. I really liked them, but beware that other motorists are not educated and may be iritated, flash their headlights at you, pull over, slow down etc. But, they may also stop poking in the left lane and let you pass. Remember that being seen better also makes you a better target. BTW, legal in USA since 1985. A response to DTRLs.

NorwegianRT
05-05-2023, 07:26 AM
I put these on my 2012 RT, way better for daytime driving as the law here says all motorised wehicles shall use headlights allways.

https://youtu.be/U5qjW3xOwWQ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967757702.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.37.515 82c44O6OCBo&algo_pvid=7636efcf-5439-42dc-bc95-aa6b6e5be91b&algo_exp_id=7636efcf-5439-42dc-bc95-aa6b6e5be91b-18&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21EUR%2180.87%2163.07%21%21%21%21% 21%4021021b4716832898911763727d07c7%2166573155117% 21sea%21NO%210&curPageLogUid=0u6S7IYKVm5V

Navydad
05-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Most motorcycles have a dual element bulb so flashing from high to low and back is made possible pretty easily. Our Spyders, at least most of them, have a single element bulb with a mechanical shutter system for low/high beam. Just curious how a flasher system would operate with our system?

Steve W.
05-05-2023, 12:30 PM
Navydad, The modulator I have on my GL1500 (and have had on other bikes) works on the high beam only. Yes, it's the same bulb on the Spyder, but would be activated by lifting the shutter for the high beam.

For the skeptics, there is also a photocell in the system that only allows the modulation when there is sufficient ambient light. They will not modulate at night.

I have used modulators (front and rear) on my bikes for over 20 years. They are a wonderful tool, but you should also use them responsibly. You should not just turn it on and leave it on. Think about the guy ahead of you at the stop light who sees this "flashing" light in his mirror for the entire duration of the red light. It can be rather irritating, which does nothing to mitigate any animosity he might have toward cycles.

I also turn mine off (simply flipping the beam selector to LOW) when approaching a 4-way stop sign. I have had other drivers think I was an emergency vehicle and expect me to just blow through the intersection. I also had one occasion where an oncoming vehicle on a two-lane road pulled over (again, thinking I was an emergency vehicle) and the vehicle behind them pulled out to pass. Quickly changed their mind when they saw me, but it could have been rather disatrous if it had been closer.

Great tool, but use it carefully and respectfully. :thumbup:

LALoner
05-05-2023, 02:32 PM
I thank everyone for the responses.

pidjones
05-05-2023, 04:44 PM
Need to read up on the law. Flashing is NOT legal - only modulating between specific brightness levels within specific frequencies.

K80Shooter
05-05-2023, 05:33 PM
Personally, I do not like them, I think they are distracting but that's just my opinion.

Woodaddict
05-05-2023, 05:40 PM
had a friend that had a 2 wheeler, bought bike used with the headlight modulator installed. He took it off, when riding more people than not would slow down, start to pull over, etc, thinking he was a police officer. that type of addition just seems to cause more problems than good

vito1943
05-05-2023, 06:34 PM
I used modulating headlights on several bikes that I owned from about 2009 to 2021. There was no doubt in my mind that the problem of cars/trucks turning left in front of a motorcycle was greatly reduced through the use of the modulator. It is just difficult NOT to see the flickering light. When I traded in my Goldwing in 2021 for my current RT, I did not seek to find a modulator and have concluded that it is not needed. The greater front size of the Spyder seems to be seen by oncoming vehicles just as if it were a car or truck. In 2 years and 9,000 miles I have not even once had a vehicle turn left in front of me.

As some others have said, there are downsides as well to having a modulator. Many drivers are quite ignorant about emergency lights and would mistakenly think that I was an emergency vehicle and would pull over to let me pass easily. That wasn't all bad but there was one occasion where the driver who pulled over then started chasing me when he saw that I was not in fact an emergency vehicle and it seemed to get him pretty upset. The incident ended without a problem, but it could have been a serious case of road rage and of armed self-defense if it had come to that. The other issue with modulators is that some people think that there is something wrong with my headlight and would be flashing their headlights at me as we approached each other. That can be distracting for both vehicles, but it also could be confused by the motorcyclist into thinking that the oncoming driver was trying to warn you of a waiting police car ahead of you.

So while overall I thought that the modulator was effective at adding safety on a 2-wheeler, I do not think it is particularly useful on a 3-wheeler.

exbrc1
05-07-2023, 04:26 PM
Yes I will check Tennessee’s vehicle laws. Thanks

budC
05-19-2023, 10:50 PM
This subject has been beaten to death on other MC forums (fora? 60+ years since my last Latin class��).
_----------------------
Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards-based or. Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108.
----------------
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
--------------------
There's also an elaborate section on how the sensor works to insure that the modulation turns off at night.

This refers to changing the brightness of the headlights. Flashing them ( on/off) is a no-no. If your bike has dual headlights both headlights MUST brighten and dim in sync. Alternating them side to die is a BIG no-no. Almost every state has laws defining "wig-wag" lights as a signal for emergency vehicles, and cops don't like people pretending to be cops, no matter how obliquely. The federal rule isn't going to keep you out of handcuffs.

IGETAROUND
05-20-2023, 12:28 PM
I have used modulators in the past, have two coming for wife's and my spyders. Was just waiting for them to work the problems out of modulating LED headlights.

Al in Kazoo

2dogs
05-20-2023, 02:17 PM

The above is ONLY for 15s and 16s. I think I will go with https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...d=0u6S7IYKVm5V because they have more options and functions and cost less. I hope they last for a reasonable length of time.

liv2cod
05-20-2023, 06:52 PM
The above is ONLY for 15s and 16s. I think I will go with https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...d=0u6S7IYKVm5V because they have more options and functions and cost less. I hope they last for a reasonable length of time.

Page not found.

2dogs
05-20-2023, 08:11 PM
Page not found.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832781442950.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3 7.51582c44O6OCBo&algo_pvid=7636efcf-5439-42dc-bc95-aa6b6e5be91b&algo_exp_id=7636efcf-5439-42dc-bc95-aa6b6e5be91b-18&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21EUR%2180.87%2163.07%21%21%21%21% 21%4021021b4716832898911763727d07c7%2166573155117% 21sea%21NO%210&curPageLogUid=0u6S7IYKVm5V&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Here's the long link. However I tried ordering them and I couldn't get through to make the purchase. These are a little different but are close to the other ones.

WDAVEY
05-21-2023, 07:08 PM
I had modulators on 2 previous Harleys with two distinct affects on motorists. Many would yell that there was something wrong with my headlight (good - you saw me). Some would pull out in front of me thinking that I had flashed my high beams signaling them to pull out (not good - you nearly killed me). So when I got the Spyder I did not add a modulator. IMO, I run 4 head lights (high beams on in daytime), "signature lights" just below the frunk lid, I added the BRP LED auxiliary light at the bottom of the frunk, I added signal lights that are constant on to the mirrors to supplement those already on the front fenders. Total of 11 lights facing forward as I travel down the road should be enough.

seaweed
05-21-2023, 08:02 PM
With some drivers that is not enough lights, they are looking at their phones !!

K80Shooter
05-22-2023, 07:33 AM
With some drivers that is not enough lights, they are looking at their phones !!

Nothing is going to make those idiots see you. Maybe a ball bat might help.

Snoking1127
05-22-2023, 10:16 AM
I put 360 LED headlights in my 2018 RT-L and run them on high beam all the time. I have only been "flashed" once in three years. The OEM incandescent highlights are weak at best! Ride with a group of spyders and you will see the difference in keeping track of the other riders if you are the leader.

Motorcycledave
05-25-2023, 04:28 PM

WOW check your state laws on that one... In most all states police cars have headlights that alternate side to side and are only allowed on emergency vehicles like red and blue lights facing forward...
I think you may be referring to a headlight modulator that makes the headlights go from low beam to high beam kinda fast to get
oncoming cars see you better... but I don't think they will work on a Spyder because of the way the headlight are . someone else
here may have information on if a modulator would work....

LALoner
05-25-2023, 05:24 PM
I believe that those who are saying "modulator" are correct and my use of "flashing" was wrong. I do know we had "flashing" lights on our Aircraft but, although low, we rarely had cars pull over because of it.

SO, modulator is the subject.

Peter Aawen
05-25-2023, 07:39 PM
I believe that those who are saying "modulator" are correct and my use of "flashing" was wrong. I do know we had "flashing" lights on our Aircraft but, although low, we rarely had cars pull over because of it.

SO, modulator is the subject.

Fixed the Thread Title to reflect that! :thumbup:

SkipH
05-26-2023, 02:22 PM
I've been using headlight modulators since 1978 when Q-switch first came out. I put it on a 76 GL1000 until 96. Then bought a 95 Kawasaki Concours, installed another modulator, Then in 2003 bought a Honda 1800, installed another. Always on low beams.
I'm currently looking for one that will modulate these LED lights on the Can Am that is plug and play....
Modulators are a good thing on front and back.

grumpyoldretiredcop
06-01-2023, 02:06 AM
I've had modulators on a GL1500, a GL1800 and an Electra Glide. I've had a couple of encounters with angry drivers who stopped being angry when informed that the lights were a safety device and being thanked for seeing me. I've had a couple of more drivers think I was on a police motor and in pursuit, one of whom pulled a brakes-locked full on stop from the oncoming lane and skidding into my lane... flashback to what happens when you're Code 3!

On my last Electra Glide, I did not add a modulator but did add amber passing lamps. They appeared to get the same attention without the negative reactions. I haven't added one on my new Street Glide either and won't as I've added an LED headlight. Still contemplating adding the same amber passing lamps though.

I've never installed them in my F3 either. At least it isn't likely to be mistaken as a police motor... I think!

Peter Aawen
06-01-2023, 02:40 AM

I've never installed them in my F3 either. At least it isn't likely to be mistaken as a police motor... I think!

Don't bet on it!! :lecturef_smilie:

Even without modulating headlights I get mistaken for a Police Motorcycle Cop every day & pretty much at least once every time I ride my Pearl White 2013 RT Ltd nojoke

Mind you, I have had a number of 'real' Police Motorcyclists and other people tell me that it's mainly my riding stance & style that conveys that impression; and when you add a 'big white bike' to those, ridden the way I ride, it makes many people very nervous &/or suspicious about that 'bike coming up rapidly in their rear vision mirrors' - even when I've got the Child Bride aboard as a pillion! :roflblack:

But it also highlights that many drivers out there REALLY DON'T SEE whatever there is &/or what's really going on around them :shocked: I'm pretty sure that the number of people who've 'noticed' my 'Police Bike', then commented or asked if I was off duty, only to be amazed when I've pointed out the two front wheels on the Spyder would really surprise you, cos it STILL surprises me every single time, and it happens fairly often!! How the heck can you NOT notice those?! :dontknow: :gaah: :banghead:

Peacekeeper6
06-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Not exactly sure, nor do I have any evidence, but that flashing feature can't be good for the headlights. I suspect that it shortens the life of the bulbs, but WTH do I know ....

SkipH
06-05-2023, 01:24 PM
Actually it lengthens bulb life. I never changed any of the headlight bulbs in all three vehicles I had one installed on. Don't know about LED's life with a modulator yet, that is of course if I can find one.

Pooch
06-05-2023, 04:04 PM
I had a 1981 Honda GL500 Interstate for 12 years with modulator - never any kind of headlight problems.
Sold it for a 1987 Kawasaki Voyager 1200 I had for 8 years with modulator - never any kind of headlight problems.
I did get some comments on the CB from other motorists - that my headlights were flashing... I thanked them for noticing as that was what they were intended to do - get noticed.
Have had several bikes since but did not put a modulator on ... guess I decided to just be an even more alert, defensive driver.

Lew L
06-05-2023, 11:23 PM
Not exactly sure, nor do I have any evidence, but that flashing feature can't be good for the headlights. I suspect that it shortens the life of the bulbs, but WTH do I know ....

Well Lou, I'll ride behind you on my poor, old, slow V-Max with a headlight modulator (that's at least 10 years-old on the same bulb) and we'll see what you think. That's if I can keep up....

Lew L