11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00633.jpg?t=1257544496

Lamonster
11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related. :D

So how do you like it?

docdoru
11-06-2009, 05:13 PM
So far: ability to run multiple apps at the same time, a 5-megapixel camera, it has a slide-out keyboard and is not AT&T....:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
11-06-2009, 05:18 PM
:congrats: I am also wondering how you like it. A new toy like that could get me in a lot of trouble, especially if I took it to work with me.

manoman14
11-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I too have been interested in a UMPC. I have seen people mounting them on motorcycles and using them as a GPS. This way your PC is always with you on trips. I like things that can do double duty.

Smylinacha
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
We checked out the DROID tonight - very nice! Only problem, we are still under contract w/ another company and it will cost to get out of it so we'll just have to wait.:dontknow: Unless anyone has a nice scam on how to get out of a phone contract.:popcorn:

Roaddog2
11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
We checked out the DROID tonight - very nice! Only problem, we are still under contract w/ another company and it will cost to get out of it so we'll just have to wait.:dontknow: Unless anyone has a nice scam on how to get out of a phone contract.:popcorn:Still miss rotary phone those things put REMS into your brain :yikes:nojoke

WackyDan
11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm looking at new phones... Blackberry now, and almost out of my contract.

Work has decided to arbitrarily reduce our monthly telcom/home office expenses to the point that the new cap won't even cover my Internet and cell phone bill. So I flat out told my manager that either he's going to see more "mileage" on my expense report or I'm dropping the data service on the Blackberry and in turn disconnecting it from the corp blackberry server.

I digress, but it opens me up to getting something more functional and smarter than a blackberry.

Doc.. that gold square... is that a fingerprint reader?

Desert Spyder
11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
We checked out the DROID tonight - very nice! Only problem, we are still under contract w/ another company and it will cost to get out of it so we'll just have to wait.:dontknow: Unless anyone has a nice scam on how to get out of a phone contract.:popcorn:

I'm going to wait until the iPhone is offered with Verizon. Rumor control has it after the first of the year. I read where V will be upping the early out penalty fee from $175 to $350 on certain smart phones, including the Droid.

Stupid phone companies really know how to stick it to ya. Right now I have to dial 1 and the area code to call my neighbor 30 feet away.

Remember when there was a name before the number?

docdoru
11-07-2009, 07:24 AM
that gold square... is that a fingerprint reader?
Four-way rocker navigation with a center button.

dltang
11-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm going to wait until the iPhone is offered with Verizon. Rumor control has it after the first of the year. I read where V will be upping the early out penalty fee from $175 to $350 on certain smart phones, including the Droid.

Stupid phone companies really know how to stick it to ya. Right now I have to dial 1 and the area code to call my neighbor 30 feet away.

Showing your age there :D You mean like Cedar-5989, Yes I remember:shocked: Also party lines and living in a small community where you only had to dial the last four digits to anyone in the same exchange. I remember how strange that was for me. We had just moved when I was a kid from the city out to a small rural community. People would ask each other's phone number and they would just say 4857. I'm thinking, there is not enough numbers here, what is up? Turns out that every number that started with a 636 could be dialed with just the last 4 digit if you dialed from a 636 number and you didn't need the area code either.

tatt2r
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM

i heard the same from a verizon support guy ,,,,, i will wait every time i buy the newest phone it sucks after a week ...the iphone is the only one that still rocks...

dltang
11-07-2009, 09:28 AM
i heard the same from a verizon support guy ,,,,, i will wait every time i buy the newest phone it sucks after a week ...the iphone is the only one that still rocks...

:agree::2thumbs: I love my iphone. Regardless of what the commercials say, I have traveled from MI to CA and back, from MI to TN and back and had phone and internet service at least 95% of the time. Certain spots in the mountains were my only problem areas. I do not drop calls and the apps that are available, if you use them, are fantastic. I have my GPS app on my phone and I don't pay a monthly fee and it works fantastic. I can play my music while the GPS is running as well. I love Pandora and now Lamont hooked me up with PandoraJam so if I am going to be riding in an area without signal, I can have hours of Pandora stored on my iphone. Brian has his set up and I will be doing mine shortly to sync with his computer wirelessly. If he adds a new contact in his phone, it automatically adds it to his computer, same with the calendar. Ok, I will stop selling the iphone now. LOL

tatt2r
11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
:agree::2thumbs: I love my iphone. Regardless of what the commercials say, I have traveled from MI to CA and back, from MI to TN and back and had phone and internet service at least 95% of the time. Certain spots in the mountains were my only problem areas. I do not drop calls and the apps that are available, if you use them, are fantastic. I have my GPS app on my phone and I don't pay a monthly fee and it works fantastic. I can play my music while the GPS is running as well. I love Pandora and now Lamont hooked me up with PandoraJam so if I am going to be riding in an area without signal, I can have hours of Pandora stored on my iphone. Brian has his set up and I will be doing mine shortly to sync with his computer wirelessly. If he adds a new contact in his phone, it automatically adds it to his computer, same with the calendar. Ok, I will stop selling the iphone now. LOL

pandorajam??? gotta check it out

BajaRon
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related. :D

Wow! Just barely squeeked by under the radar! Good Job! I'm Impressed!

dltang
11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
pandorajam??? gotta check it out

just sent you a PM

Smylinacha
11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I tried the IPhone and I liked it but it's not an Android, is it? I'm leaning towards the Androids because of all the apps that will be available for it. We are w/ Sprint and they have some new droid phones - the Hero, a motorola similar to the Droid and this other one I saw last night. What bugs me is you have to wait until you are eligible for an upgrade. Well we are but only the PRIMARY phone is eligible for the FULL upgrade. So the secondary phone you have to pay an arm and a leg to upgrade. I really can't justify spending a ton of money on a freakin phone when like tattr said, you buy the latest and greatest and then a month later they come out with something better and you end up hating what you just bought.

czdaryle
11-08-2009, 07:14 AM

From what I heard tHis was suppose to happen begining of this year but verizon refused to supply 4g network speed which is needed for the new iphone, so they signed with AT&T again.:dontknow:

SpyderDog65
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM

if u want an Iphone for verizion just buy a Unlocked phone there usually a bit more expensive than the normal versions but u can use ulocked phones on any Cell phone provider >):clap:

Smylinacha
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Could I get one w/ Sprint? Don't they run on some different network where I can't?

Funny how cell phone companies get ya - I'm fully upgradeable but my 2nd line is not so if hdx wants a phone, they want him to pay $400 while I only pay $179. So no phones for now. Not sure how to buy a phone w/out going through Sprint and trying to get it activated.

if u want an Iphone for verizion just buy a Unlocked phone there usually a bit more expensive than the normal versions but u can use ulocked phones on any Cell phone provider >):clap:

Roger
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I know theirs a company in the boston area that will sell you an ulocked phone i saw it on one of those news magazine shows i will google it and see what i find. :2thumbs:

Roger
11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/06/05/cellphone_users_try_to_wrest_some_of_carriers_cont rol/

Or just google warlock wireless but read the artical so you understand you can buy an unlocked phone or you can send your phone to them and they will unlock it for you. So techincally you get buy an iphone from ebay or whatever then send it to them and they will put it on your current network. :clap::clap::clap:

SpyderGirl
11-09-2009, 05:23 PM
All I have to say is that I LOVE my iPhone, but I HATE AT&T...

The Droid looks cool, but I think I'll stick with my 2G iPhone. She serves me just fine. :)

Peoriafirefighter
11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=Lamonster;157452]I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related. :D

So how do you like it?

I also have one and the Big DISAPPOINTMENT is the blue tooth will only answer a call, it can not voice dial a call thru the Blue tooth.

Lamonster
11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/06/05/cellphone_users_try_to_wrest_some_of_carriers_cont rol/

Or just google warlock wireless but read the artical so you understand you can buy an unlocked phone or you can send your phone to them and they will unlock it for you. So techincally you get buy an iphone from ebay or whatever then send it to them and they will put it on your current network. :clap::clap::clap:
Won't work on Verizon, different technology.

A new report from OTR Global (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.appleinsider.com%2Farticl es%2F09%2F11%2F06%2Freport_apple_to_launch_verizon _iphone_in_q3_2010.html&t=1257862802) relayed by AppleInsider indicates that Apple is planning on manufacturing new hybrid iPhones that will support both Verizon's CDMA2000 network as well as the UMTS 3G network. Only the UMTS network is supported by the current version of the iPhone and is used by AT&T and much of the rest of the world.Qualcomm's new hybrid CDMA/WCDMA chip offers the potential for a single, global iPhone that users can take to any major carrier, solving the network fractionalization problem. It also solves other issues that had served as roadblocks, including the issue of user confusion that would result from Apple selling separate CDMA and GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone.
The reason behind building in such support would seem primarily to extend the iPhone's compatibility with Verizon in the U.S. The move is expected to take place by the 3rd quarter of 2010. Conveniently, AT&T's exclusivity contract with Apple is believed to expire (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/14/atandt-exclusivity-expires-in-2010-atandt-asking-for-extension/) in mid 2010.

The report also indicates the new model's screen will also shrink in size from 3.5" to 2.8" diagonally. Curiously, this is not the first time the possibility of a 2.8" iPhone has emerged with iLounge previously publishing photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/05/larger-or-smaller-touchscreen-device-from-apple/) of 2.8" screens that were believed to be for use in future Apple devices.

Roger
11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
There always has to be one who does not play well with the others. I will admit that i do have verizon and the coverage is very good but i just upgraded my phone to the razr 3 in the spring had it for about a month then i wished i went with a blackberry cause i find my self texting more often. so now i'am looking at the droid cause it looks cool and i like the qwerty keypad. :clap:

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Won't work on Verizon, different technology.

COOL! Our Sprint contract will be up in Nov 2010!!!!
I tried canceling over the weekend w/out having to pay the ETF but it didn't work.

Trickie Dick
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
COOL! Our Sprint contract will be up in Nov 2010!!!!
I tried canceling over the weekend w/out having to pay the ETF but it didn't work.

Sprint has 2 Android based phones right now. The HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment. Should have basically the same functionality as the Droid.

Smylinacha
11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Got a great corporate deal at work today but hdx and I talked - we are gonna wait - supposedly they are going to a 2.0 android platform version after the holidays and I also saw that even more phones might be coming out - saw some HTC Tattoo phone. Seems like that happened last year w/ our phones - got them around Thanksgiving and then right around Christmas more phones came out. So we're gonna wait and see.

Smylinacha
11-13-2009, 04:15 PM
We're saying bye bye SPRINT tonight! Going to get the Droid. Christmas came early and I get a corporate discount which will help a little.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00633.jpg?t=1257544496

jsmiley
12-04-2009, 08:46 PM
You don't have to pay extra for a unlocked iPhone. You can do it yourself.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now

This is the unlock (allows other carriers) tool.

You need to first Jailbreak (removes Apple restrictions for installing software and provides alternate app stores with real cool apps).

Jailbreak app - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june

My company pays for my AT&T so I do not use Ultrasn0w. I do use Redsn0w to jailbreak. I know others geeks that use Ultrasn0w.

Tips for jailbreak and unlocking - Read a lot of blogs, look for guides on google using the product names, and review interoperability with carriers before you do anything. The reckless will pay.

Jailbreaking is pretty easy and takes about 10 minutes to do. You should however spend several hours studying before you try it to make sure you know what you are doing. My stock iPhone was crap compared to the mobile monster i have now.

Tip after jailbreaking - fight the urge to load 100's of the black market apps on the first day, same concept as installing multiple parts on your bike. If you have a problem you will never know where to look.

Recommended jailbreak apps - Winterboard (themes), Categories (folders in your iphone), Cycorder (camcorder for 2G & 3G phones), CallMe(photo speed dial buttons), AptBackup (backup phone applications), BossPrefs (cool and easy control panel, plus all kinds of great options)

I have been jailbreaking since I got my phone in June 2008. if you follow my tips, you will avoid the trouble I ran into and have a great experience:doorag:.

Jornie1
12-30-2009, 11:09 PM
AT&T sucks... For example, I live in SW Florida, only a few miles from One of the most traveled interstates in the country, I75. Only a few miles from here, Alligator Alley, there is a 10 mile gap in AT&T coverage...look at their map.. they know it. That's just one example. I could go on...and on..and on...

dave01
12-31-2009, 06:55 AM
I love my Droid, but really miss voice dialing. I think it will be a software upgrade soon. Many people on the Droid forum have been discussing it

Smylinacha
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I love my Droid too - I was posting on here from my Droid yesterday. It does EVERYTHING. I love all the fun apps I can download. It just as much if not more than a computer. Plus I don't listen to satellite radio anymore - I prefer Pandora in my car - comes in nice!

And I got some funny apps - all for free!

M2Wild
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
I am waiting for the Palm PRE in GSM. Hopefully we will hear something in 2010.

Longlegs
01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
The Google phone should be introduced in a few days.

Lamonster
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
The Google phone should be introduced in a few days.
HTC :dontknow:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/29/googles_nexus_one_takes_on_droid_as_apples_iphone_ app_store_grows.html

truck 85
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
- I prefer Pandora in my car - comes in nice!

I use pandora on my spyder.:2thumbs: It rocks or countrys or hip hops or clacials it dose it all

Smylinacha
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Yep - got all my custom stations - no more cr@p music or any dj talk. Now how do you use it w/ your Spyder? You keep it running to speakers in your helmet?

- I prefer Pandora in my car - comes in nice!

I use pandora on my spyder.:2thumbs: It rocks or countrys or hip hops or clacials it dose it all

truck 85
01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Yep - got all my custom stations - no more cr@p music or any dj talk. Now how do you use it w/ your Spyder? You keep it running to speakers in your helmet?

speaker/earbuds in helmet. On short rides it is kind of a pain but still worth it

Rando
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
What is your best Droid game/app?

If you like texting, ShapeWriter is awesome!

Smylinacha
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Drunkblocker - I love it!

If you feel like you're gonna go out and party it up too much, BEFORE you get wasted you plug in numbers that you don't wanna be caught drunk dialing. For instance - your boss LOL.

You can enter the time when you shouldn't be allowed to call and if you do try to call it will tell you that you can call if you solve the REALLY LONG stream of numbers that it wants you to add up. If you can't do that, then you can't dial LOL!:2thumbs:

I also downloaded these guns. If you put the phone on your hip you can pretend you are drawing a firearm and it makes the noise of loading and you point an shoot - very cool!

Also like the "radar Now" app - only one I could find that gives Loop radar. And I love Yahtzee - I have that app and play it alot.

I have alot of spreadsheet stuff but the stupid stuff is more fun.

What is your best Droid game/app?

If you like texting, ShapeWriter is awesome!