PDA

View Full Version : Dealer says Demo Rides are not possible - any suggestions?

Gitoa
05-02-2023, 10:16 AM
Newby here. Longtime lurker but have rarely posted.

I took the 3-wheel rider course to get my endorsement in Florida.

I filled out the demo request on the Can-Am website. I was contacted by a local dealership representative by text, which I thought was odd. Car dealers always call. Anyway, he tells me demos are not possible. I ask if this is because of a lack of inventory. He said no, the dealer just doesn't allow test drives.

They had only Ryker 600s in the class, so that is the extent of my experience.

I am really more interested in the F3 and RT units, but without even the briefest of demo rides, I can't see how I could venture out and buy one.

Any suggestions? BTW, Customer Service at Can-Am at 888-272-9222 could provide no assistance or solution. I am willing to travel in the Southeast to make it happen, but they are making it difficult. It is interesting Harley has no problem demoing their units.

Thanks in advance.

javajaws
05-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Its very dealer specific - so I'd suggest trying a different dealer. I had bad luck with my local dealers so drove an hour to another dealer and test-rode (and bought) from them there. Only caveat is that I had to call ahead to arrange a test drive.

Also, see if the Can-Am Experience is coming close to you anytime soon: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/discover-can-am/can-am-experience.html

Gitoa
05-02-2023, 10:28 AM
I will give some a call.

It looks like the demo days are in the Northeast now.

This all makes me a little leery. If it is this hard to make a potential purchase, I wonder how difficult it is to get service.

Thanks for your input.

ARtraveler
05-02-2023, 11:35 AM
I will give some a call.

It looks like the demo days are in the Northeast now.

This all makes me a little leery. If it is this hard to make a potential purchase, I wonder how difficult it is to get service.

Thanks for your input.

Check dealers as you have determined to do. Some dealers are more "customer friendly" than others. You will find that service is also hit and miss. When you find a dealer that is good, give them a shout out. Ask those in your area who they would recommend. Good luck with your hunt. :yes:

Baron14y
05-02-2023, 11:48 AM

I filled out the demo request on the Can-Am website. I was contacted by a local dealership representative by text, which I thought was odd. Car dealers always call. Anyway, he tells me demos are not possible. I ask if this is because of a lack of inventory. He said no, the dealer just doesn't allow test drives.

I am really more interested in the F3 and RT units, but without even the briefest of demo rides, I can't see how I could venture out and buy one.

Any suggestions? BTW, Customer Service at Can-Am at 888-272-9222 could provide no assistance or solution. I am willing to travel in the Southeast to make it happen, but they are making it difficult. It is interesting Harley has no problem demoing their units.

Thanks in advance.

Where in florida are you?

Gitoa
05-02-2023, 11:55 AM
Jacksonville

Baron14y
05-02-2023, 12:03 PM
Jacksonville

Both Jacksonville Power Sports and RideNow in Jacksonville supposedly will have a Can Am Experience program. Don't know the dates. You might see if there is an RT and/or F3 owner in your area that might let you take a short ride on his/her Spyder.

2dogs
05-02-2023, 12:06 PM
Wonder what the insurance premium is for dealers who allow demo rides?

2dogs
05-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Both Jacksonville Power Sports and RideNow in Jacksonville supposedly will have a Can Am Experience program. Don't know the dates. You might see if there is an RT and/or F3 owner in your area that might let you take a short ride on his/her Spyder.

Allowing some unknown to ride your spyder is an extreme liability that leaves you exposing yourself to a giant lawsuit that could cause you to lose your home and everything else you own. DON'T DO THAT! Even a friend could turn on you, you never know until it's too late. JMHO

Gitoa
05-02-2023, 12:20 PM

Well, Jacksonville Powersports contacted me by text after filling out the form on the Can-AM website. Any demo program by the factory is now running through the northern climes as they come out of hibernation.

I have not reached out to Ride Now yet. I wanted to do business with Jacksonville Powersports as I am familiar with the owner, but policies are policies.

Pooch
05-02-2023, 12:44 PM
You might call around to the area dealers you would be willing to travel to.
I would be very surprised if "no demos" was ALL the dealers policy.
There's no way I would buy a used bike of any kind without getting to ride it first.
I have never encountered that policy when looking for a used bike at a dealer.
When I first began to look at Spyders I did several test rides on the used RT's the dealers had for sale.
That's how I got the experience of how they handle differently from a 2-wheeler or conventional trike.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Peacekeeper6
05-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Also, if a dealership allows test rides, make sure you are allowed to ride out of their parking lot.

The dealership here in Reno only allows test rides on their own parking lot. I suppose that's ok, if you're wondering what model fits you best. But as far as exploring the machines capabilities, you're gonna need to get out of 2nd gear and out on the road, LOL.

chipveres
05-02-2023, 01:16 PM

Thanks in advance.

If you are willing to go as far as Hobe Sound, please call Broward Motorsports at 772-252-5000. We took the class there, and they permitted my wife to take the used RTL we are buying for a brief ride around the parking lot. Of course, they knew and understood that we were not buying a used cycle without at least a little test ride. On the positive side, my wife found the RTL *easier* to control than the Ryker. I guess it's the power steering.
Chip
Soon-to-be 2020 RTL

Captainmal
05-03-2023, 04:52 PM
Can you find a used one and take a demo ride on it?

Was at my dealer in Lakeland yesterday. I had a recall on my 2022 Ryker for a brake spring. While there I asked to sit on a Spyder. Literally could not get my leg high enough to get over the seat without damaging it with my boot. Also noted that all but one Spyder there had a radio. I hate radios and speakers on a bike. There was a solo seat one there with no radio junk. Foot pegs were forward and again, not reasonable to get my leg over the thing to sit on it.

Find someone's used one and take a test ride like that. You may even want it ... if you can lift your leg high enough to get it over the seat without doing damage.

Tourer
05-03-2023, 06:38 PM
I am a retired new car dealer and think your dealer is full of crap. And you knowing the owner and still not being offered a demo ride makes the customer service even worse.

Never bought a bike from any dealer that refused a test ride and told them so before walking out. Demo rides to licensed customers is part of the business and is covered by the dealer’s insurance.

I am astounded by the lack of customer service at motorcycle dealers and the unhelpful actions by this manufacturer. Having to wait for a test drive to come to your area is just plain bs.

Suggest taking your business elsewhere.

Steve W.
05-04-2023, 09:45 AM
On your first call to a dealer to ask about a test ride, be sure to let them know that you have taken the course and have ridden a Ryker. Let them know that the main purpose of your call is to see if an F3 or an RT will fit you.

I can understand that a dealer would not be in favor of any John Doe walking in off the street for a joy ride, but who could refuse a potential customer?

javajaws
05-04-2023, 09:48 AM
On your first call to a dealer to ask about a test ride, be sure to let them know that you have taken the course and have ridden a Ryker. Let them know that the main purpose of your call is to see if an F3 or an RT will fit you.

I can understand that a dealer would not be in favor of any John Doe walking in off the street for a joy ride, but who could refuse a potential customer?

You would be surprised. In hot markets they literally treat you like dirt making you practically beg to buy something from them. I suspect many such dealers will change their tune later in the year as the economy further takes its toll on their numbers.

Woodenfish
05-04-2023, 10:36 AM
I took my Basic Three Wheel Motorcycle course and obtained my license on a Ryker. There really is no reason to test drive the bikes that I could find. Either you are comfortable with the seating position and the price or you are not. I have never seen a motorcycle that had a dealer license plate ready for a test drive anytime in my life.

gkamer
05-04-2023, 10:51 AM
Have you considered renting a Spyder if all else fails. True it won't be free but it could save you from making a multi thousand dollar mistake.

bigbadbrucie
05-04-2023, 11:11 AM
I took my Basic Three Wheel Motorcycle course and obtained my license on a Ryker. There really is no reason to test drive the bikes that I could find. Either you are comfortable with the seating position and the price or you are not. I have never seen a motorcycle that had a dealer license plate ready for a test drive anytime in my life.
Ever bike, both new and used, that I have purchased has always been available to test ride PRIOR to my purchasing. I would NEVER purchase either a new automoble OR a new motorcycle without being able to drive/ride off the dealers lot. It has always been my understanding that dealers get special consideration from the Mfr. for demo autos/mcs. Is this no longer the case?

ARtraveler
05-04-2023, 12:17 PM
I test drove none of my seven Spyders. I did "test sit" about half of them. My very first (2008), I put down a deposit in October of 07 and had to wait until June of 08 for it to come in. At that time period...AK was not even going to be considered for the product. Fortunately, the new CanAm dealer was also the largest selling Ski Doo dealer in the US.

When I lived in Ft. Wayne, IN I had a Kawi/BMW dealer that allowed me to test drive. I chose Kawi KZ650 over the BMW 650 based on my test drive. In Duluth, MN the Honda/Yamaha dealer also let me test drive a Gold Wing and a Venture. The Venture won that go round.

Cars are another thing for me though. I have test driven every car I have ever bought. A couple were rejected immediately by the way they drove and "felt."

bigbadbrucie
05-04-2023, 12:45 PM
I test drove none of my seven Spyders.

Cars are another thing for me though. I have test driven every car I have ever bought. A couple were rejected immediately by the way they drove and "felt."
And why should a motorcycle be any different than a car, as far a test riding/ driving? The dollar spent really isn’t all that much different. It’s still a big chunk of change.

ARtraveler
05-04-2023, 02:11 PM
And why should a motorcycle be any different than a car, as far a test riding/ driving? The dollar spent really isn’t all that much different. It’s still a big chunk of change.

They are different. Driving a Spyder is more like driving a car because of the "no clutch," but the SM5's of course had clutches. Take an unfamiliar driver with two wheels, and you can have an accident quick. Should be different for SE' Spyders and Rykers...but that is not the way things seem to go. I am thinking that dealers are not thinking about safety or possibility of accidents. They just don't want to be user friendly. And yes, if I were a dealer...which I am not...I would require them to have a motorcycle endorsement at minimum for a test ride. But...that's just me.

I have bought over 30 two wheelers since 1965. The only two dealers I encountered that allowed test drives were as mentioned above.

javajaws
05-04-2023, 03:07 PM

While true, its more an issue for those wanting to move from 2-wheel bikes to 3-wheel trikes that haven't taken such a course (If you've taken the 2-wheel version you'll understand that the 3-wheel version is pretty much a joke to you at that point). Also, I do think riding all the main variants (Ryker, F3, RT) is important to make sure you pick the right machine.

old Timer
05-04-2023, 06:35 PM
BMW as well as HD encourage the dealers to have test rides. BMW has a special program to help and encourage a test ride. Of course a M/C drivers license is required. With HD test rides, I was always with the sales person on another bike.

2dogs
05-04-2023, 08:09 PM
I was lucky to be able to test ride both the HD trike and the spyder twice before making up my mind. Thank goodness for those test rides. However, what test riding the spyder didn't clue me into was the many little quirks and inconveniences that come along with owning a spyder. IE; airing up the rear tire and replacing all the inferior parts BRP chose to build into their product.

Woodenfish
05-04-2023, 09:03 PM
Ever bike, both new and used, that I have purchased has always been available to test ride PRIOR to my purchasing. I would NEVER purchase either a new automoble OR a new motorcycle without being able to drive/ride off the dealers lot. It has always been my understanding that dealers get special consideration from the Mfr. for demo autos/mcs. Is this no longer the case?

BRP sells Skii-Doo and Sea-Doo at the same dealership where I purchased my Can Am. I don’t think they offer those buyers any test rides either. What could you possibly learn from a test ride in the dealership parking lot versus a static test on the showroom floor anyway?

bigbadbrucie
05-04-2023, 09:29 PM
BRP sells Skii-Doo and Sea-Doo at the same dealership where I purchased my Can Am. I don’t think they offer those buyers any test rides either. What could you possibly learn from a test ride in the dealership parking lot versus a static test on the showroom floor anyway?
With that reasoning, I take it that you test drive an automoble that you’re looking at by moving it in the parking lot also. As far as I’m concerned a test ride is a ride out on the street and travel at least one or two miles, preferably, if you’re an actual interested buyer, for an hour or two ride (dealers can spot interested folks). I have ALWAYS had this opportunity.

Doug5283
05-04-2023, 10:11 PM
https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/discover-can-am/can-am-experience.html
Went last year. It was stupid-fun. Got about an hour on each one out on the road. Able to ride an F3, RTL & Ryker.

MRH
05-05-2023, 12:23 AM
I haven't ready through all the comments so apologies if this has been covered, but even better than a brief test ride is renting one for the day:
https://www.riders-share.com

Wahrsuul
05-05-2023, 05:55 AM
I was able to test ride a used 2010 RT at my dealer. They offered me a test ride on the new 2018 they had but I would have had to make an appointment. Instead, I took the leap and got my 2014 from Imotorsports. Definitely needed the test ride though.

Just found out the Can-Am Experience is here today and tomorrow. Wish I'd know that a few days ago. But now I'm scheduled to try out an F3 and maybe a Ryker tomorrow.

Tango
05-05-2023, 09:50 AM

You have never been to a BMW dealer. They have several for test rides, and loaner bikes. I for one would not lay out almost $30,000 without a test ride! You want my money? Earn it! :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

DT5534
05-05-2023, 07:26 PM
Jacksonville

I will be following this thread as I am moving to Daytona Beach on May 31st and will need a new dealer. My last one in Purcellville VA, Moto Member, was fantastic. Gonna be hard to beat them for sure.

Tango
05-05-2023, 09:59 PM
I will be following this thread as I am moving to Daytona Beach on May 31st and will need a new dealer. My last one in Purcellville VA, Moto Member, was fantastic. Gonna be hard to beat them for sure.

I live in Daytona Beach. Have a great dealer in Sanford, "Seminole Powersports". Daytona had a great dealer, they sold to "Ride Now". Haven't been there for service since the sale. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

slhanks004
05-05-2023, 11:39 PM
Same thing happened to me. I filled out the test ride form, dealer contacted me by phone, I told them I wanted to test ride a Spyder RTL, they said sure, come on in. I showed up the next Saturday and told them I was there for a test ride. “We don’t allow test rides”. I ended up buying anyway, but had my reservations about buying such a different vehicle without being able to test it first.

Excoastie
05-06-2023, 06:45 AM
Call other dealers and find one that will allow a test ride. My local dealer told me they don't do it. Another dealer an hour away handed me the keys.

--Exco

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-06-2023, 11:31 PM
Call other dealers and find one that will allow a test ride. My local dealer told me they don't do it. Another dealer an hour away handed me the keys.

--Exco

Hopefully that will be the ..LAST Lie they will tell you ...... IMHO I doubt that will be the case .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Woodenfish
05-07-2023, 12:41 AM
With that reasoning, I take it that you test drive an automoble that you’re looking at by moving it in the parking lot also. As far as I’m concerned a test ride is a ride out on the street and travel at least one or two miles, preferably, if you’re an actual interested buyer, for an hour or two ride (dealers can spot interested folks). I have ALWAYS had this opportunity.

Cars, motorcycles, no difference between the two when purchasing them. “Take as much time as you need and bring it back when you’re ready to buy.” I can see that happening.

vito1943
05-07-2023, 08:56 AM
I'm amazed that any dealer can stay in business if they do not allow for demo rides. I was a 2 wheel rider for almost 40 years when I decided I either needed to go to a lighter bike (lighter than my 900 pound Honda Goldwing) or go to 3 wheels. I was mentally not really ready to go to 3 wheels, but at my wife's request called the Can Am dealer near me and asked about a demo ride on a Spyder. I was offered the chance to ride whatever I wanted, a Ryker, F3 or an RT. I chose the RT and it only took me about 5 minutes of riding to decide that this was what I wanted. I have no doubt that if I had not been able to get a demo ride I would have ended up buying a new Triumph T120 instead. When I took my demo ride, the salesman said to me "Take it for as long as you want, just make sure you are back before closing time in about 4 hours". My demo ride was about 30 minutes and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle of any type without having the chance to ride/drive it first.

retdpd
05-07-2023, 09:23 AM
I went through 3 dealers looking to purchase a new spyder they refused to call me back they wanted me to call them back at a specific time. I gave up on a Spyder .I I walked into a dealer in Gaylord MI upon wifes insistance who treated me great and they were outstanding to deal with and wanted my business.. I put my deposit on a new 2022 RT that day my delivery was postpned due to parts and I had to wait. They were in continuous contact with me and when it was delivered everything was perfect. no hassles everything perfect... Its a shame had to travel over 200 miles to buy a Spyder when I had 3 dealerships within 20 miles.
So whatever they're doing in Gaylord MI BRP should use them as a model

JUST SAYING

bigbadbrucie
05-07-2023, 09:51 AM
I'm amazed that any dealer can stay in business if they do not allow for demo rides. I was a 2 wheel rider for almost 40 years when I decided I either needed to go to a lighter bike (lighter than my 900 pound Honda Goldwing) or go to 3 wheels. I was mentally not really ready to go to 3 wheels, but at my wife's request called the Can Am dealer near me and asked about a demo ride on a Spyder. I was offered the chance to ride whatever I wanted, a Ryker, F3 or an RT. I chose the RT and it only took me about 5 minutes of riding to decide that this was what I wanted. I have no doubt that if I had not been able to get a demo ride I would have ended up buying a new Triumph T120 instead. When I took my demo ride, the salesman said to me "Take it for as long as you want, just make sure you are back before closing time in about 4 hours". My demo ride was about 30 minutes and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I can't imagine buying a new vehicle of any type without having the chance to ride/drive it first.
This is exactly the way my dealer treated me, and I might add....is exactly the way it SHOULD be. $30,000.00 is a good chunk of change. If I’m laying out that much, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I’M GETTING. If I had NOT been allowed a test ride, I would not be on my Spyder today. I really wonder if we would be reading all the complaints about the Spyders if the the complainer had test rode their unit BEFORE purchase. Don’t really know, not do I really care....I just know that I love my RTS.

JohnRuckus
05-07-2023, 10:11 AM
A dealer told me the same thing. However, I knew it wasn't true b/c their other location offered demo rides by appointment. The salesperson basically treated me as if I were a nuisance until he asked how I was planning to finance. I laughed & told him I'm not financing. I'm paying cash. Well, he changed his tune and so did I. I purchased from a different dealer ;)
Not saying that your dealer is being dishonest. Find another dealer willing to allow a demo(or even a guided demo) or try renting a Spyder. If possible, check to see if there is a Can-Am experience happening anywhere near you and register for that.

DT5534
05-08-2023, 08:46 AM
I live in Daytona Beach. Have a great dealer in Sanford, "Seminole Powersports". Daytona had a great dealer, they sold to "Ride Now". Haven't been there for service since the sale. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Hi Tango,

Thanks for the info and heads up on the dealing in Daytona. I was going to check them out once I get moved and ride the SpYder down from Durham NC.

Are there any SpYder Clubs in the Daytona Beach area that you belong to or ride with?

Thanks,

Dan

Gitoa
05-08-2023, 11:52 AM
I am in the process of looking for a Spyder to rent.

I rented a Harley Tri Glide from Eagle Riders, and that was a great experience.

I wish things weren't so difficult, and these dealers are not doing themselves any favors. If they treat a potential customer in this manner, it makes me very leery of their ability to service the bikes. Hopefully, I am wrong about all my perceptions.

Gitoa
05-08-2023, 12:01 PM
Harley Davidson dealer in Jacksonville has no problems with a test ride. Have bought and test-ridden four bikes from them.

Motorcycledave
05-08-2023, 05:06 PM

Thanks in advance.

Find another dealer

dad2468
05-08-2023, 08:50 PM
I had to basically make a $500 down payment on the 22 RTL that I wanted to test drive. They said if I didn’t like it I could have my money back. The $500 was supposedly the fee for assembling it out of the crate. They had 2 still in the crates. One was the Black edition and the other was the Chrome edition. I ended up buying the bike and the $500 went to my down payment. I just couldn’t believe all the extra charges they added on to the price of the bike. Probably $3000 more dollars added on.

bigbadbrucie
05-08-2023, 09:04 PM
Y
I had to basically make a $500 down payment on the 22 RTL that I wanted to test drive. They said if I didn’t like it I could have my money back. The $500 was supposedly the fee for assembling it out of the crate. They had 2 still in the crates. One was the Black edition and the other was the Chrome edition. I ended up buying the bike and the $500 went to my down payment. I just couldn’t believe all the extra charges they added on to the price of the bike. Probably $3000 more dollars added on.

My opinion? It’s all a bunch of Bull Hockey. They saw you coming and started rubbing their hands. If it was me, I would have told them to get stuffed and then walk out the door and NEVER LOOK BACK! My blood pressure starts to rise whenever I see another posting to this thread. Buttttttt....... that’s just my opinion. If I was told no test rides period, I’d be gone.....just like the wind.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-08-2023, 09:40 PM

Back in 2014 I bought a new RT .... the ADD-ON was a small document fee, they put a Temp. plate on it and drove it home ..... But that was then , this is now ..... :gaah:.... Mike :thumbup: