PDA

View Full Version : Long term storage of spare tyre - how?

askitee
05-01-2023, 12:01 AM
I have just purchased a new rear tyre for my '17 RTL and the dealership offered a discount if I bought 2.

Does anyone out there in tyre land know the best way to store the tyre for say 12 months. I've heard:

Dont need to do anything
wrap it in plastic
Wrap it in plastic sandwich wrap/cling wrap
In a cool dry place..

Its usually not an issue as I go thru a rear 2-3 times a year and keeping the 2nd isn't an issue, but this time around the bike may be off the road for up to 6 months while it goes in for some insurance repairs.

Peter Aawen
05-01-2023, 02:29 AM
If it's just 12-ish months, you could easily just keep it standing up somewhere in a cool dry place out of the light; wrapping it anything to slow/reduce its exposure to light & moving air, temp variations etc will help preserve it for longer, so doing that certainly won't hurt but isn't essential for just 12-18-ish months. :thumbup:

Little Blue
05-01-2023, 02:47 AM
:coffee:...For 14 months or less.
Put the tire in a large trash bag.
Keep in a 60°F - 80°F zone and dry.
Been doing this for twenty years.

But Be aware that the tire(s) have a 'Date Code'.
So check out the 'Code' so you know the 'Life' of your Tires.

Good Luck with Your Mission. .....:spyder:

Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ....:thumbup:

T.P.
05-01-2023, 05:09 AM
Are you really going to tell us you bought 2 rear Kenda's :lecturef_smilie:

T.P.

askitee
05-06-2023, 03:11 AM
Are you really going to tell us you bought 2 rear Kenda's :lecturef_smilie:

T.P.

Oh My God no!!! I bought two Nankangs - phew glad you raised this as I'd seem like a fool for ever had I not clarified :)

ARtraveler
05-06-2023, 11:48 AM
Aw, Cmon, guys. :bowdown: I consistently get 15K out of rear Kenda OEMS, and around 22K on the fronts. Currently have K-9's on the 2019...less than 10 K so far, but they look like new.

Tried "car tires" on two other Spyders, but they were traded off before I could do mileage tests.

I bought the K'9s from Lamonster and had him install them. Will do the same on the 20 when its ready. :bowdown:

hypurone
05-06-2023, 01:04 PM
If it's just 12-ish months, you could easily just keep it standing up somewhere in a cool dry place out of the light; wrapping it anything to slow/reduce its exposure to light & moving air, temp variations etc will help preserve it for longer, so doing that certainly won't hurt but isn't essential for just 12-18-ish months. :thumbup:

That is the LAST thing you want to do. It will flat spot even with no weight on it... Higher performance tires will do it sooner than "mileage" versions but still... Lay it down on its side and flip it over every month. Cool (66-72deg), dry and no sunlight in a sealed bag for Ozone protection...

askitee
05-06-2023, 06:30 PM
Aw, Cmon, guys. :bowdown: I consistently get 15K out of rear Kenda OEMS, and around 22K on the fronts. Currently have K-9's on the 2019...less than 10 K so far, but they look like new.

Tried "car tires" on two other Spyders, but they were traded off before I could do mileage tests.

I bought the K'9s from Lamonster and had him install them. Will do the same on the 20 when its ready. :bowdown:

Yes for some its mileage, but for me its better wet weather grip, better performance when I like to play, less vibration, and way better braking distance.

Peter Aawen
05-06-2023, 06:57 PM
That is the LAST thing you want to do. It will flat spot even with no weight on it... Higher performance tires will do it sooner than "mileage" versions but still... Lay it down on its side and flip it over every month. Cool (66-72deg), dry and no sunlight in a sealed bag for Ozone protection...

That may be the case IF they're on Rims, but if the tires aren't on rims, like a '2nd spare' for the rear of a Spyder is most likely to be....

But don't just take it from me, here, check this out from Michelin's website:

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-maintenance/tire-storage

If the tires are not fitted on rims, do not stack or hang them. Store them standing up.

Store your tires indoors in a clean, cool and dark location away from direct sunlight, sources of heat and ozone such as hot pipes or electric generators.
If you are storing outdoors (recommended for a short time only), raise tires off the ground and use waterproof covering with holes to prevent moisture build-up.
Be sure the surfaces on which tires are stored are clean and free from grease, gasoline, solvents, oils or other substances that could deteriorate the rubber.
For aesthetic reasons, if your tires have whitewall or raised white lettering, store them with the whitewall or raised white lettering facing each other. Otherwise, black rubber could stain them.
If tires are on a vehicle parked for a long period, the weight of the vehicle needs to be taken off the tires by jacking it up or removing the tires. Failure to do this may cause irreversible damage.