PDA

View Full Version : Riddle of The Keys - only unlocks ignition, not trunk - Ideas?

linguine
04-23-2023, 01:22 PM
Howdy do, to all

This one stumps even the shop , Ride Now, Peoria AZ:

I ordered a backup key from them when I purchased my 2020 Spyder RTL, two months ago. They said at that time the key only worked on one position in the ignition. I said OK and didn't think about it. I put it in my spare keys box and forgot about it.

My wife is going on an all-girls ride from Phoenix to Kanab UT in September. So I thought Ok she can use the spare key. Lo and behold the key won't lock/unlock the trunk or side cases.

So the dealer recut a key today. After much fiddling and burnishing, the replacement key will unlock the ignition, but no joy on the trunk or side cases. Now they cannot even get this new key to program for the ignition.

Any ideas?

Stumped In The Desert

Bfromla
04-23-2023, 01:52 PM
Should have not been sold with “ the key only worked on one position in the ignition”. They were aware & too lazy to correct. Either assembled wrong & A cable pinched , or all out ignition assembly issue. Sorry they stump even themselves:lecturef_smilie: yet another red flag

oldguyinTX
04-23-2023, 02:53 PM
I bought a blank from RideNow Austin and they could not cut it. Most dealers probably wont. Took it to my local locksmith who I trust a lot more than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They cut it, then the dealer (not RideNow) programmed it for free since I was buying a new tire from them. Took a little doing, buying the blank in one place, having it cut in another, and having it programmed at yet another. but it works fine, opens frunk, seat, and most importantly, starts the Spyder.

Jetfixer
04-23-2023, 05:39 PM
Sounds to me like somewhere along the line, someone replaced the ignition switch.

spyderdave
04-23-2023, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you got the equivalent of an old style "valet key"; starts the vehicle, but won't allow access to compartments where items can be stored.

Compare the length of the of your spare to the original. Releasing the frunk & seat require that the key be pushed in & turned; if the shaft on your spare is shorter, that could be the reason it won't work.

linguine
04-23-2023, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far.

@jetfixer: the ignition switch is original. Not sure where you were going...

linguine
04-23-2023, 06:45 PM
Update 2:

A VERY competent parts tech went back to the key he made today, and set the cutter to "do it again" on that key. Worked the charm: ignition [both ways], unlock the frunk, unlock the seat, unlock the trunk and side compartments ALL OK. This guy worked for over 1.5 hours, and NAILED it; programmed it and all is good.

NO CHARGES for the key or the shop.

RideNow Powersports in Peoria, AZ gets 5 STARS:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Peteoz
04-24-2023, 03:58 PM
Update 2:

I would certainly give them a good rating for fixing the issue, linguine, but since they were the ones who allowed you to leave the shop with a key that didn’t function in the first place, that would cost them a couple of stars in my rating. :lecturef_smilie:

Pete

FrogmanDave
04-24-2023, 05:22 PM
I would certainly give them a good rating for fixing the issue, linguine, but since they were the ones who allowed you to leave the shop with a key that didn’t function in the first place, that would cost them a couple of stars in my rating. :lecturef_smilie:

Pete

Disagree. Three stars ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Update 2:

A VERY competent parts tech went back to the key he made today, and set the cutter to "do it again" on that key. Worked the charm: ignition [both ways], unlock the frunk, unlock the seat, unlock the trunk and side compartments ALL OK. This guy worked for over 1.5 hours, and NAILED it; programmed it and all is good.

I'm glad your issue is solved ..... However 1.5 hrs. to put the key in the machine and turn it on ????? ..... I'd find another shop ..... JMHO ... Mike :thumbup: