PDA

View Full Version : Having a Hard time getting on my Sea to Sky - any hints/advice?

JDTOLLAND
04-18-2023, 06:25 PM
Good evening friends.

I owned an F3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike. With my Sea to Sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike. I know this sounds odd, but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without your foot hitting the seat?

Thanks folks.

JDT

pegasus1300
04-18-2023, 06:40 PM
When I climb on my RT I stand up on the floorboards first then swing the back rest down and swing my leg over. I know it's an older Spyder but the principle is the same. I also went to a large shop window that had a good reflection so I could see what I was doing and found I was being lazy and not raising my foot as high as I was able so I practiced until I got it. I know, it sounds like something that should just come naturally but for some reason it didn't.

Knizar
04-18-2023, 06:47 PM
Good evening friends

I owned an f3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike . With my sea to sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike . I know this sounds odd but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without you foot hitting the seat ?

Thanks folks

JDT

We have a 2020RTL and we put the Lamonster Floorboard Riser on it! I'm 5'10" & my wife is 5'2", the riser helped considerably. Us old dogs just can't raise our leg so high anymore!:roflblack:....:thumbup:....Bill

Peter Aawen
04-18-2023, 07:04 PM
When I climb on my RT I stand up on the floorboards first then swing the back rest down and swing my leg over. I know it's an older Spyder but the principle is the same. I also went to a large shop window that had a good reflection so I could see what I was doing and found I was being lazy and not raising my foot as high as I was able so I practiced until I got it. I know, it sounds like something that should just come naturally but for some reason it didn't.

:agree: This ^^ works well, but if it's still a problem, you could always try parking your behind on the Passenger seat first, then actually lifting your foot over the seat in front of you, before sliding down onto the Rider's seat.... IF you don't have a Rider's Backrest in the way! :rolleyes:

JDTOLLAND
04-18-2023, 07:11 PM
Thanks I’ll try it

EdMat
04-18-2023, 08:52 PM
:agree: This ^^ works well, but if it's still a problem, you could always try parking your behind on the Passenger seat first, then actually lifting your foot over the seat in front of you, before sliding down onto the Rider's seat.... IF you don't have a Rider's Backrest in the way! :rolleyes:

Or, put your right foot on the left floorboard and raise up. Now put your left foot on left passengers foot rest and raise up. You have just gained several inches of clearance to swing your right leg over.

FrogmanDave
04-18-2023, 10:19 PM
We have a 2020RTL and we put the Lamonster Floorboard Riser on it! I'm 5'10" & my wife is 5'2", the riser helped considerably. Us old dogs just can't raise our leg so high anymore!:roflblack:....:thumbup:....Bill

I had/have no problem getting on my Spyder before or after adding the risers. I agree with Bill. I think they may help you out. If I had to guess, the risers bring the floorboard up about 1". Maybe an inch and a half.

foolofsand
04-18-2023, 11:12 PM
I get on by using the passenger pegs. So much easier. don't worry about hitting the seat

PW2013STL
04-18-2023, 11:24 PM
I have issues with my ability to rase my leg high enough. So I stand on the passenger floorboard and grabbing my pants leg to help I am able to swing my leg over.

Adventurer
04-19-2023, 07:57 AM
I recently completed a 2,500 mile solo trip. I had a bag on the passenger seat that was slightly taller than the trunk and I kept catching my boot on the bag when mounting/dismounting. I started leaning my upper body pretty far forward when doing the leg kick thing (like far enough forward that I had to also lean slightly to the side so as not to hit the windshield with my chest) and that gave me just enough additional clearance that I no longer caught the bag with my boot.

I’ve also seen younger bucks just stand on the floorboard and high kick straight over the drivers seat (not roundhouse style), makes me wish I were young and limber again but I’m not so I have to find alternatives :roflblack:

Never would have thought I’d be discussing how to mount a three wheeled motorcycle either, but here I am LOL!

ThreeWheels
04-19-2023, 08:23 AM
Good evening friends.

I owned an F3 and never had issues getting on or off the bike. With my Sea to Sky it seems my foot always hits my seat no matter how I get on the bike. I know this sounds odd, but do any of you have advice on how to get on this machine without your foot hitting the seat?

Thanks folks.

JDT

Try this. It works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdcFFq8E5I

GreyGhost
04-19-2023, 09:46 AM
Old, broken, fat, short..did I leave anything out? I ordered an outside 6.3” x 4.33” x 3.54” waterproof heavy plastic electric junction box from Amazon ($11.99..I would post a link if I had the skills), mounted it to the back of my floorboard with self tapping screws, packed it with sand and put a strip of non-slip tape on the top..the 4.33” additional height is a life saver and gives that leg an additional foot rest on a long ride..

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-19-2023, 10:57 AM
Old, broken, fat, short..did I leave anything out? I ordered an outside 6.3” x 4.33” x 3.54” waterproof heavy plastic electric junction box from Amazon ($11.99..I would post a link if I had the skills), mounted it to the back of my floorboard with self tapping screws, packed it with sand and put a strip of non-slip tape on the top..the 4.33” additional height is a life saver and gives that leg an additional foot rest on a long ride..

I Repurpose things all the time ..... you could have saved a bit of money had you used a piece of scrap wood ( that won't break ) ..... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

gkamer
04-19-2023, 11:45 AM

I'll have to try this. My still old hips and knees are just not as flexible as they were 50 years ago, :)

Quickdraw
04-19-2023, 01:39 PM
Good evening friends.

Thanks folks.

JDT

I get on my by stepping on the passenger foot peg. I have a backrest and even with standing on the driver floorboards, with my back the way it is, I can't lift my leg high enough but using the passenger pegs helps a great deal.

Peteoz
04-19-2023, 03:51 PM
I’ve also seen younger bucks just stand on the floorboard and high kick straight over the drivers seat (not roundhouse style), makes me wish I were young and limber again but I’m not so I have to find alternatives :roflblack:

Yeah, I am old buck who just kicks and swings my leg over the trunk, Adventurer, but then I have an added advantage. :roflblack:

Pete

Adventurer
04-19-2023, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I am old buck who just kicks and swings my leg over the trunk, Adventurer, but then I have an added advantage. :roflblack:

Pete
roflmao Yes you surely do!

SLICE
04-20-2023, 03:59 AM
Maybe Y'all should try and do a little stretching before and after your rides. It really helps.

Peacekeeper6
04-20-2023, 04:01 AM
Have you tried leapfrogging it from behind, similar to the way the Lone Ranger gets on his horse Silver ??

bikerbillone
04-20-2023, 06:23 AM
Can be a real problem if riding two up most of the time and the wife needs get on first. That leaves just one way up, grab the handle bar tight, lean back raise the right foot up tall and slide on. I have discovered no other good way, I have tried them all. Just be alert ya keep that foot up high so not to skin the seat.

Valkrocket
04-20-2023, 06:40 AM
Try this. It works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdcFFq8E5I

For anyone who has had a full knee replacement and can't bend their knee 100% anymore, this is the best way to mount your RT/RTL. Only drawback is that you can't reach down and fold your passenger floorboard back up. Too much resistance from that angle. I just leave both passenger floorboards down. No more kicking/scuffing my seat. ;)

SLICE
04-20-2023, 11:42 AM
For anyone who has had a full knee replacement and can't bend their knee 100% anymore, this is the best way to mount your RT/RTL. Only drawback is that you can't reach down and fold your passenger floorboard back up. Too much resistance from that angle. I just leave both passenger floorboards down. No more kicking/scuffing my seat. ;)

10mm in both holes loosens them up nicely, I only went a half turn and now lowering and raising the passenger boards is a one finger operation.

They even stay put at speeds fast enough to get you arrested for being a super speeder, but easy enough to operate with one finger.

JDTOLLAND
04-20-2023, 08:01 PM
Thank you so much !!!

slhanks004
04-21-2023, 10:06 AM
I am a double below knee amputee, and my prosthetic legs are quite heavy and I don't get a lot of input from my carbon-fiber feet when I strike an obstacle. I stand on the left floorboard and 95% of the time, if I go slowly, I can swing my left leg over without hitting the seat, passenger backrest, top case, etc.