PDA

View Full Version : Update number 2 on overheating RT in Aus

mrb
11-05-2009, 02:01 AM
I rode up to Springwood Suzuki in some fairly warm weather and the Spyder was running very rough by the time I got there, especially between 3 and 4 k RPM. I was not happy at all.
The mechanic said he thought only Spyders with a pipe were suffering - I said I understood stock ones like mine were too.

After the update it runs like new again. Very happy so far even riding home in 34degrees (C).:2thumbs:

docdoru
11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
The mechanic said he thought only Spyders with a pipe were suffering - I said I understood stock ones like mine were too.
After the update it runs like new again. :2thumbs:
:thumbup:

NewRider
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope the mechanic didn't find 'roo pee in the gas tank...;)

mrb
11-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I hope the mechanic didn't find 'roo pee in the gas tank...;)
I dont understand!

What would Indian currency be doing in my petrol tank?

I had a stopover in Bombay once but would not have any rupees around.:joke:

dicko
11-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Got the steering update done back about 1st September. A couple of days later, the steering would "lock" when going straight. I had to fight it to turn left. Did this for about 100 km or so. Finally did a bit of a slalom in and out the white lines up the middle of the road (when I hoped no one was watching). It all went away. Problem fixed.

Now I have the terrible running as noted by some people. Done several thousand kms since the re-mapping for the steering then yesterday (after a 200+ km trip and temp of 32C), the Spyder started hiccuping, burping and far*ing in city traffic (just mobile to ~50 kph). Idles well, runs well over 80 kph, but terribly rough in city/slower traffic. Went out for a ride later after Spyder cooled down. Same again. Even checked fuel (had water in my Roadstar a few years ago) and air cleaner. Noted that a few people have had an issue with rough running some time after the steering re-mapping. May have a trip to the dealer next week.

Pogo
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Got the steering update done back about 1st September. A couple of days later, the steering would "lock" when going straight. I had to fight it to turn left. Did this for about 100 km or so. Finally did a bit of a slalom in and out the white lines up the middle of the road (when I hoped no one was watching). It all went away. Problem fixed.

:yikes: That's very worrying Dicko. Problems don't just go away. Your solution may point to a cause. You should get it back to the dealer as soon as possible.

Now I have the terrible running as noted by some people. Done several thousand kms since the re-mapping for the steering then yesterday (after a 200+ km trip and temp of 32C), the Spyder started hiccuping, burping and far*ing in city traffic (just mobile to ~50 kph). Idles well, runs well over 80 kph, but terribly rough in city/slower traffic. Went out for a ride later after Spyder cooled down. Same again. Even checked fuel (had water in my Roadstar a few years ago) and air cleaner. Noted that a few people have had an issue with rough running some time after the steering re-mapping. May have a trip to the dealer next week.

Mine has been doing the same for a while. My dealer reckons that I have an exhaust leak, and the air being drawn into the exhaust is lying to the oxygen sensor, mucking up the mixture at low speed.

I'm not 100% convinced, but she is booked in to have the gaskets replaced when the 20000km service is done in a couple of weeks.

If he is right, then I think that disconnecting the oxygen sensor should make the problem go away. It will throw codes, but I don't think it will cause a limp mode.

I'm off to Imbil next weekend, but the following weekend I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

Cheers;

Pogo.

SpyderWolf
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
The Engine Performance Optimization Update that was issued on September 28, 2009 should correct your rough running between 3,000 and 4,000 rpms. :)

docdoru
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Improper installation of the first update.

Second update will take care of that.

dicko
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Pogo.

Was all packed last week to go on a big road trip to Imbil (~1700kms x 2) via Newnes (Christmas Rally). However, things didn't go as planned. Bad planning and running out of time to get home again. Off to Fish Holes instead (~400km x 2) . 3 Spyders there last year.

Posted some pics today on this site. Some are from Humala (before I started drinking) on the way to Penrith.

Pogo
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Pogo.

Was all packed last week to go on a big road trip to Imbil (~1700kms x 2) via Newnes (Christmas Rally). However, things didn't go as planned. Bad planning and running out of time to get home again. Off to Fish Holes instead (~400km x 2) . 3 Spyders there last year.

Posted some pics today on this site. Some are from Humala (before I started drinking) on the way to Penrith.

Sorry to hear that you won't make Imbil, Dicko. I'm leaving on Friday. It will be a quick trip as I'm short on leave and dollars, but worth getting there for the 20th. Enjoy the Fish Holes. I've never done that one. Maybe next year...

I had a look through your pics, and recognised the Humula rally site. A bit bare... ;-)

Cheers;

Pogo.