PDA

View Full Version : Re TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS. Which one?

Isopedella
04-08-2023, 02:31 PM
So this self-confessed Kiwi Luddite is considering dragging himself into the 18th century or so re these TPMS systems.

Yep it’s true, only considering mind you.

Naturally I’m not really a fan of phone apps but will concede now and again. It’s a good option.
But I’m swinging towards the display type right now as a real time preference.
When I ride my phone is in my pocket and have no burning desire to change that.

Thought I would start a new thread rather than add to I hate this as it keeps it all in one thread but that what prompted it.

So…let us begin with a couple, well 5 actually starter questions.

I see there are a few to choose from and some are powered to the bike and others have Solar.

I’m guessing you just unscrew the valve fitting like the OEM valve cap to add air?

How long will those button batteries last?

Waterproof/resistant?

And lastly which one do you use and would you buy that one again or swap for something else?

Cheers and looking forward to being Egdemicated somewhat.

gkamer
04-08-2023, 02:56 PM
The only one I've ever looked into is the FOBO2. But that is a phone app thing.

Peteoz
04-08-2023, 03:42 PM
Iso, I have only used FOBO as it works a treat for me, as a phone app. As such, it is not “powered” to anything. Sorry, but I have never looked at alternatives as FOBO fits my needs.

Yep, unscrew the sensor just like a valve cap to add air.

The button batteries last around 6 months for me, and then it’s as simple as unscrewing the sensor, unscrewing it’s two halves, sliding the battery out, sliding the new one in, and reversing the removal procedure.

Yes, they are waterproof.

Also, they come with locking nuts. I have never used them as they are a pain, and have had no issues.

Regarding your phone, you can set your high/low tyre pressure, then you simply check your pressures on your phone as you approach your Spyder, put your phone in your pocket, and it will vibrate and sound a loud warning of your choice if those parameters are exceeded.

I’m still running the original FOBO 1, and have been for 7 years. If they cark it, I would swap to the more modern FOBO 2.

I have never had to call FOBO support, but I believe a couple of users have said that they are a bit hit and miss.

Pete

pidjones
04-08-2023, 04:12 PM
I'm considering getting this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92/?coliid=I1LYELUE7A5KOE&colid=1GJY26Q7Q8CV8&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 I had a similar system on my GL1800 that worked well as long as it was on "T" stems.

bigbadbrucie
04-08-2023, 05:22 PM
I also have the FOBO2, and as previously mentioned have never tried or investigated anything else. Peteoz says that he replaces the button battery every 6 months, but from what I've seen with mine, the battery lasts well over a year, possibly 2 years. Like Pete0z suggests, check your tyre pressure prior to getting on the byke and then put your phone in your pocket. You will be notified by either a vibration (if your phone has that option), or by a LOUD ring or buzz if you have a catastrophic loss of air. I also do not use the locking rings....don't seem to need them. Good Luck.

shardt
04-08-2023, 05:59 PM
We use these on our Spiders and they work well. https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Universal-Waterproof-Real-time-Temperature/dp/B0BK8SHDRZ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=M0TMJ3ZONQ6H&keywords=tpms+tire+pressure+monitor+system&qid=1680994676&sprefix=tpm%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-9

rjinaz86323
04-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Probably not a popular opinion, but I had a Fobo2 and sold it. I found it very distracting. I was always obsessing over a pound or two difference. Now I just check before each ride and don't worry about it. If a tire has a slow leak I will notice it before it goes completely flat (if underway you will feel the handling change. If it blows out the Fobo won't tell you in time to do anything about it anyway). JMHO

Peteoz
04-08-2023, 07:38 PM
Probably not a popular opinion, but I had a Fobo2 and sold it. I found it very distracting. I was always obsessing over a pound or two difference. Now I just check before each ride and don't worry about it. If a tire has a slow leak I will notice it before it goes completely flat (if underway you will feel the handling change. If it blows out the Fobo won't tell you in time to do anything about it anyway). JMHO

It doesn’t matter if your opinion is popular or not, rjinaz. Everyone has their own reasons for using/not using something, but “distracting” seems a rather odd reason for giving FOBO a “fail” ?

I find exactly the opposite. Checking my tyres in 10 seconds before a ride, and then putting my phone in my pocket and forgetting about the tyres because you’ll get a warning if they are not functioning as planned, provides me with added confidence, not a distraction;).

Pete

FrogmanDave
04-08-2023, 10:12 PM
FOBO 2 for all the reasons listed. I don't check my tire pressures all that often but they are there if I need them.

rjinaz86323
04-08-2023, 11:30 PM
Everyone has their own reasons for using/not using something, but “distracting” seems a rather odd reason for giving FOBO a “fail” ?
Pete

I don't give the Fobo a fail. It does what is is designed to do. It just doesn't mesh with my semi-OCD mentality.

gr8Frank
04-09-2023, 01:12 AM
I use the FOBO 2. The readings are the same as I get on tire pump.

Peteoz
04-09-2023, 02:11 AM
I don't give the Fobo a fail. It does what is is designed to do. It just doesn't mesh with my semi-OCD mentality.

Yep…….understand completely, rjinaz :2thumbs:

Pete

SLICE
04-09-2023, 03:56 AM
FOBO 2 , as everyone else has stated.

vito1943
04-09-2023, 09:22 AM
I also use the FOBO2 and found the batteries that came with the unit lasted two years before it showed on the phone app that they were in need of replacement. I really like having this system in place because it saves me the considerable effort of checking the rear tire pressure. I find that the only way to get a tire pressure gauge on the rear tire stem is to be laying flat on the ground, which for an old guy like me is a real pain. With the FOBO2 I just pull out my phone when getting ready to ride and I am good to go.

StalkyTracker
04-09-2023, 10:09 AM
I'm considering getting this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL2ZB92/?coliid=I1LYELUE7A5KOE&colid=1GJY26Q7Q8CV8&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 I had a similar system on my GL1800 that worked well as long as it was on "T" stems.

I have a similar two wheel version.

1.) The sensors unscrew and you add air, I have the lock washers installed and yes it is a pain to add air. Though I usually only need to add air at the start of the riding season and maybe again late in the season.

2.) The sensor batteries have lasted about two riding seasons, maybe longer but I change them anyway. The monitor, once charged, lasts for days when traveling. I usually charge at night every second or third day when traveling.

3.) Waterproof, not sure. But I have ridden with the monitor exposed to rain numerous times, full fledged frog chokers, and never an issue. Mine mounts on the handle bar and easily unscrews, so removal is easy. Or just slip a zip lock bag over it if concerned.

4.) Mine (2 wheel version) is a Mecru - Newell TPMS System.

I've been real happy with it and would purchase again. And will look at pidjones's referenced one when my Ryker arrives.

YMMV

Peteoz
04-09-2023, 04:05 PM
I also use the FOBO2 and found the batteries that came with the unit lasted two years before it showed on the phone app that they were in need of replacement.

This, and an earlier comment really got me thinking, Vito. I just realised that -

1. I am running old FOBO 1 sensors.

2. I have an old iPhone that I leave in the garage as I try BRP GO from time to time to see if it has improved to the point where it is of use to me. (Hasn’t happened yet:thumbup: ). That phone also has the FOBO app running, meaning it is communicating via BT on an ongoing basis. This may indeed be the reason I am only getting around 6 months battery life.

Pete

pidjones
04-10-2023, 06:30 AM
We use these on our Spiders and they work well. https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-Universal-Waterproof-Real-time-Temperature/dp/B0BK8SHDRZ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=M0TMJ3ZONQ6H&keywords=tpms+tire+pressure+monitor+system&qid=1680994676&sprefix=tpm%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-9

Is there a way to stop it from alarming on the missing 4th sensor? Seems this would be great for us, as we sometimes pull a Uni-go (single wheel) trailer.

Peter Aawen
04-10-2023, 08:36 AM
Is there a way to stop it from alarming on the missing 4th sensor? Seems this would be great for us, as we sometimes pull a Uni-go (single wheel) trailer.

2 for the Front Wheels; 1 for the Rear Wheel; put the 4th sensor on the ACS Air Bag. Problem solvered! :thumbup:

EdMat
04-10-2023, 01:27 PM
2 for the Front Wheels; 1 for the Rear Wheel; put the 4th sensor on the ACS Air Bag. Problem solvered! :thumbup:

Or, set up 2 profiles, 1 with trailer, one without. Click on the one you need to see.

Isopedella
04-10-2023, 01:36 PM
Himm I think I need the 3 set as my F3 Ltd dosnt seem to have the valve or that ACS Air Bag. Unless you can turn off the 4th one. Donno.

Peteoz
04-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Himm I think I need the 3 set as my F3 Ltd dosnt seem to have the valve or that ACS Air Bag. Unless you can turn off the 4th one. Donno.

Iso, my ‘16 F3-L had a shraeder valve under the rear seat, on the left (closest to the kerb) side. I’d be surprised if you don’t have one, unless they made a big change between ‘16 and ‘17.:dontknow: I had a FOBO connected to it.

…..and even if you don’t have one, there is no need to set up the 4th unit.

Pete

BamaJohn
04-10-2023, 03:47 PM
Fobo2 will also alarm into a headset if low or high pressures are found. To me, that was most important to be able to react quickly in real time.

Eviltwin
04-10-2023, 03:58 PM
I've used one of the car based systems for years now. I think FOBO is overpriced for what it is. I don't need it to alarm through my phone or anything else as I can just glance over and see what the pressures are. The sensors look identical to what the car based displays use. If you don't activate one of the sensors, it will never be monitored or displayed. Batteries last about a year, maybe longer. Velcro it down to the top of the dash and it stays there.

K80Shooter
04-10-2023, 04:15 PM

This is exactly how I have mine.

Isopedella
04-15-2023, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the info.

GreyGhost
04-15-2023, 02:05 PM
I too use the FOBO2 and really like them, BUT mine have never shown the same psi as the gauge..periodically, when I confirm the correct numbers by the gauge, I screenshot the reading on my phone so I have those numbers to compare with a later reading..