PDA

View Full Version : SuperGlue DumDum

Dudley
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Yea, I did it. Was supergluing the strip underneath the upper plastic, had the plastic upside down and the glue ran over onto the red paint! Now I have a not-so-pretty area that I am SURE everyone will see as I drive down the road (they won't, but I know it's there!) Anyone know what I can do to undo what I did???:gaah:

Roaddog2
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
:yikes:

Tom in NM
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
What does it look like? Was it actually "SuperGlue"?

Sometimes, an emulsifying oil ( like peanut oil ) will loosen/remove some glues without damaging the clear-coat.

WD-40 can also "work" on it.

Both need some time ( at least 15 minutes ) and will probably require multiple applications.

Depending on the glue, heat can also help.

Also depending on the what you have ( glue drips, runs or smears ), I would consider trying one of the Clay Bar cleaners.

Then, there is always the rubbing compound and buffing it off.

I would start at 1 and work my way to 6.

My ideas.

Tom

BumbleBee
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
:yikes:

Any pics???

Dudley
11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
What does it look like? Was it actually "SuperGlue"?

Sometimes, an emulsifying oil ( like peanut oil ) will loosen/remove some glues without damaging the clear-coat.

WD-40 can also "work" on it.

Both need some time ( at least 15 minutes ) and will probably require multiple applications.

Depending on the glue, heat can also help.

Also depending on the what you have ( glue drips, runs or smears ), I would consider trying one of the Clay Bar cleaners.

Then, there is always the rubbing compound and buffing it off.
I would start at 1 and work my way to 6.

My ideas.

Tom

Yep, definitely was SuperGlue. One drop per square inch. I just ran a strip where I needed it!:gaah: Like I said, "DUMDUM!" Will try with patience to remedy the mess. It was all my doings! Live and learn...

But I did apply for my 25,000 mile pin yesterday and didn't mess that up!

Dudley
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/attachments/razors/28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

OKOK! I get the message. Will take a picture tomorrow and post. It is mostly a smear as I tried to wipe it off...another DUMDUM. This day was awesome non-the-less. Was in the mid 80s, clear, dry...juuuust perfect! Wish you all were here to enjoy with us.

Smylinacha
11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Nail polish remover

Whenever I used to use Crazy Glue and would accidentally glue my fingers together, nail polish remover did the trick! Did you know that you can use Crazy/Super Glue if you get a bad cut - no more rides to the dr. for stitches - just slap that on and you stop bleeding.:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
We wish we were there too......Gettin' cold in the mornings here lately........
+1:agree::agree:

Firefly
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Glue also works good for removing nasty slivers----- just glue over the hole and let it seep down onto the sliver - let it dry for a bit--- peel the super glue off your skin and it should pull the sliver up with it.

Whatever you try to remove the super glue with--- (and the nail polish might work really well) - I would try a small test spot somewhere else on the bike that you don't care about -- just a few drips to make sure it doesn't cause more damage than you're trying to fix. Maybe even drip some super glue down and then try removing it as a test-run.

99% alcohol might work.

Smylinacha
11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, not sure exactly what the nail polish remover could do to the plastic - so do a test spot!

SpyderWolf
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Best of luck getting it to not be noticeable.

Congrats on the 25,000 miles though. :thumbup:

tjfischer
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Whatever you use to remove it. Be Sure to apply the remover to a Clean (Lint Free) Towel, first. Then dab the towel on the spot in question. Never apply any kind of chemical remover directly to a painted or glossy surface. You may cause more damage than you want.

Also you may want to look a a product called "Goo Be Gone"

dave01
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Go to the local hobby shop and get some CA remover. CA , also called cyanoacrylate, is just superglue for airplanes, etc that we tend to crash a lot. The remover will soften the superglue and not damage the surrounding area.

Tom in NM
11-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Yep, definitely was SuperGlue. One drop per square inch. I just ran a strip where I needed it!:gaah: Like I said, "DUMDUM!" Will try with patience to remedy the mess. It was all my doings! Live and learn...

. . . . not so DUMDUM! You posted asking for help - I would have never thought of that. (by the way, if you don't have peanut oil, you can daub some peanut butter on the spot and let it sit for a while.)

Nice weather here too. 80s during the day, clear, little wind - and low 30's at night.

Congratulations on the 25K. Maybe you can glue the pin over the run-away glue. Of course, without a picture, can't tell.:D

Tom

Desert Spyder
11-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I hear BB's might do the trick :roflblack:

Sorry folks, its a Dudley thing.

I like that idea about the slivers. I'm a welder and encounter such misfortunes sometimes. I wonder how it would work with broken off goatheads in the foot?

Lamonster
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
:D
http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/27/06/16/31751676-300x300-0-0_Black_Decker_Cyclone_4_in_1_Multi_Sander_BDMS100 0.jpg

sabunim5
11-03-2009, 02:08 PM
It won't help you now, but just that sort of thing is why I switched to Super Glue Gel a few years back. Less chance of runs, or me gluing myself to everything in the immediate vicinity. Hope you get it off without damage to your paint. :D

Dudley
11-03-2009, 08:13 PM
It won't help you now, but just that sort of thing is why I switched to Super Glue Gel a few years back. Less chance of runs, or me gluing myself to everything in the immediate vicinity. Hope you get it off without damage to your paint. :D

Never heard of the gel, but will certainly look into it. Thanks for the input. Would be a lot easier to use than the water-thin glue.

StarTraveler649
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
"Did you know that you can use Crazy/Super Glue if you get a bad cut - no more rides to the dr. for stitches - just slap that on and you stop bleeding"

This is incorrect. the "super glue" used for wound closure is a different formula then used for "regular" gluing. There are compounds in normal super glue that do not do well with human tissue. Using regular super glue for wound closure can end up getting you a big ole load of dead tissue and infection.

Just a word to the wise !

dave01
11-05-2009, 05:49 AM
"Did you know that you can use Crazy/Super Glue if you get a bad cut - no more rides to the dr. for stitches - just slap that on and you stop bleeding"

This is incorrect. the "super glue" used for wound closure is a different formula then used for "regular" gluing. There are compounds in normal super glue that do not do well with human tissue. Using regular super glue for wound closure can end up getting you a big ole load of dead tissue and infection.

Just a word to the wise !

So true. The emergency rooms and many doctors use Derma-bond, a form of superglue that contains no harmful ingredients and wont kill the surrounding tissue......Wow, now I sound like Doogie Howser.....

http://www.esutures.com/content/img/f136/dermabond_dhv12_small2.jpg

Dudley
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I would like to thank all the ideas from everyone, even the jokes. Life is great. Yesterday I used the only thing I had at home...rubbing alcohol, a T-shirt and a micro fiber cloth. I applied the alcohol with the T-shirt and rubbed it off with the cloth. I got most of it off after a time. I will work on it from time to time. The camera couldn't pick up the glue enough to show it...just me knowing what I had done made it seem worse. It's a great morning here, so Kjen and I are going for a short ride in a bit.
Happy Trails everyone!

RoadHammer
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
lighter fluid will also work.

boborgera
11-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I would like to thank all the ideas from everyone, even the jokes. Life is great. Yesterday I used the only thing I had at home...rubbing alcohol, a T-shirt and a micro fiber cloth. I applied the alcohol with the T-shirt and rubbed it off with the cloth. I got most of it off after a time. I will work on it from time to time. The camera couldn't pick up the glue enough to show it...just me knowing what I had done made it seem worse. It's a great morning here, so Kjen and I are going for a short ride in a bit.
Happy Trails everyone!

I found out why It's called Crazy Glue//. I used it to glue the lense on my eye glasses, I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.:yikes:

SpyderWolf
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I found out why It's called Crazy Glue//. I used it to glue the lense on my eye glasses, I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.:yikes:

:roflblack: Was it the fumes? Or did you happen to get it on your eye lid?

boborgera
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
:roflblack: Was it the fumes? Or did you happen to get it on your eye lid?

Can't get them off till the glue wear's off"":gaah:

SpyderWolf
11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Can't get them off till the glue wear's off"":gaah:

I didn't even think about that possibility. :yikes:

boborgera
11-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I didn't even think about that possibility. :yikes:

Na= Just kidding. But i did ruin them. The glue ran down the lens and instead of waiting for my Goo Gone to work, Well Let's just say you should't scrape glue off glass with a metal blade.
Patience is not one of my strong points. My Doctor once told me i have six month's to live, I told him i can do it in three.

:roflblack:

SpyderWolf
11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Patience is not one of my strong points. My Doctor once told me i have six month's to live, I told him i can do it in three.

:roflblack: That is the best line I have heard in a long time! :2thumbs: