PDA

View Full Version : Completed the onerous chore - added air to the rear tire!

vito1943
03-22-2023, 08:50 AM
I use the FOBO2 Bike system on my 2021 RT, and I am really glad that I can check my tire pressures just by looking at the app on my phone. This is especially true for the rear tire. Well, after sitting in my garage unused since November, other than a brief ride on March 1st, I was ready to go for a real ride yesterday at temps locally got up into the 50's and the roads were dry. But the TPMS showed that tire pressures were a bit low, so it was time to both change the batteries in the TPMS sensors and add a bit of air pressure. The front two tires are simple, but for an old guy like me, with bad shoulders and artificial knees, getting to the back tire is a real pain. I backed the Spyder out onto level ground, lay flat on the ground and luckily the tire stem was right where i wanted it to be, and without too much effort I was able to put a new battery in the sensor and hook up the air compressor to get the pressure to where I want it to be. Now I am set for the next few months of riding, and likely will not have to go through this until well into the summer months.

FWIW, I bought this RT in June 2021, and have since put about 9,000 miles. Other than getting an oil change at 3,000 miles I have not had reason to go to the dealership at all. I have not had even the slightest problem with this motorcycle and wonder if I am just lucky or are the doomsayers who complain about the Spyder's reliability all wrong. In any event, adding air to the back tire has been the only hassle that I can think of regarding the Spyder. Even my trusty Goldwing needed more attention. I really am glad I chose a Spyder rather than converting my Goldwing to a trike.

2dogs
03-22-2023, 01:21 PM
You haven't experienced any fun yet. Just wait until you tackle the installation of a sway bar.

SLICE
03-22-2023, 02:11 PM
I use the FOBO2 Bike system on my 2021 RT, and I am really glad that I can check my tire pressures just by looking at the app on my phone. This is especially true for the rear tire. Well, after sitting in my garage unused since November, other than a brief ride on March 1st, I was ready to go for a real ride yesterday at temps locally got up into the 50's and the roads were dry. But the TPMS showed that tire pressures were a bit low, so it was time to both change the batteries in the TPMS sensors and add a bit of air pressure. The front two tires are simple, but for an old guy like me, with bad shoulders and artificial knees, getting to the back tire is a real pain. I backed the Spyder out onto level ground, lay flat on the ground and luckily the tire stem was right where i wanted it to be, and without too much effort I was able to put a new battery in the sensor and hook up the air compressor to get the pressure to where I want it to be. Now I am set for the next few months of riding, and likely will not have to go through this until well into the summer months.

FWIW, I bought this RT in June 2021, and have since put about 9,000 miles. Other than getting an oil change at 3,000 miles I have not had reason to go to the dealership at all. I have not had even the slightest problem with this motorcycle and wonder if I am just lucky or are the doomsayers who complain about the Spyder's reliability all wrong. In any event, adding air to the back tire has been the only hassle that I can think of regarding the Spyder. Even my trusty Goldwing needed more attention. I really am glad I chose a Spyder rather than converting my Goldwing to a trike.

As much as I complain about BRP and MY 2022 RT-L, they're a really well-built machine & I see myself putting well over a 100K on this Machine I call SLEDGE .............. God willing.

Peteoz
03-22-2023, 03:11 PM
Vito, I struggle with that too, but I have found a solution that works for me, especially if you own a low stool, and a fairly level surface.

Switch on the RT, release park brake, move it forward or back until the valve is at around 4 o’clock, reapply park brake and switch off. It is then not too difficult to get one hand each side of the FOBO unit and unscrew it (you may even be able to do it with one hand). I then screw on my pump (set to a pre determined psi) the same way and pump up the tyre, and reinstall FOBO. Sure you have to chase the FOBO unit across the floor once or twice when you first try it, but it becomes easy after that.
I actually use a rolling low mechanics chair to release the brake and roll the RT into position, but I’m 6’7” and 300lbs so that gives me enough leverage to make that fairly easy.;)

Pete