PDA

View Full Version : Need a Seat Cushion for my 2022 RTL - any suggestions?

ahh-cool
03-10-2023, 08:40 PM
I just purchased a new 2022 RTL.
I need a seat cushion for my seat. My tushy doesn't like the new seat.
Any suggestions?

ron1026
03-10-2023, 08:48 PM
I've had good results with the Air Hawk Air Cushion on my Goldwing (which was the worst seat ever!) and on my HD's.

Bangorbob
03-10-2023, 09:57 PM
I use either an air hawk and/or wool motorcycle seat cover. Good luck. Hope you find something comfy.

RayBJ
03-10-2023, 10:47 PM
++ on Airhawk or WildA$$. I've used both over the past 10 years and either will let me ride for 10+ hrs without monkey butt or soreness.

ahh-cool
03-11-2023, 09:55 PM
I tried the airhawk years ago and felt too wishy washy

pegasus1300
03-11-2023, 10:05 PM
contact motorcycledave a sponsor here and get one of his pads and install it under your seat cover. I put one on my seat and it turned a 2 hr seat into an all day day after day seat.

Kingz
03-12-2023, 08:24 AM
Been using Air Hawk for years. Besides the comfort it keeps me up off the seat enough that my butt doesn’t get as hot.

Tango
03-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Ait Hawk. Or a custom seat. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Bangorbob
03-12-2023, 08:40 AM
Probably too much air in the air hawk that makes it feel not so comfy.

SLICE
03-12-2023, 09:27 AM
I've had the butt buffer on now for a few hundred miles and like it (time will tell), but so far so good, i no longer get that nagging pain in my haunches.

Lew L
03-12-2023, 10:58 AM

Both my wife and I use an Air hawk. One should sit IN an Air Hawk, not on it. I transfer it to my poor, old, slow V-Max when necessary.

Lew L

Peteoz
03-12-2023, 03:39 PM

As others have replied, ahh-cool, you probably had too much air in the Airhawk. Your bottom should be just touching the seat underneath. That way the air is pushed out and up under your buttocks toward your thighs, which is what gives you support and more comfort (similar to what Russell Daylong and Seth Laam do with their “wings” at the edges of their seats.

Pete

CopperSpyder
03-12-2023, 03:52 PM
I use the Airhawk - R-REVB Cruiser R Large, fits the RTL nicely.

campermac
03-12-2023, 05:56 PM
Butt Buffer. Saved my butt last year when we rode 1100 miles one day on our trip down south

bikerbillone
03-13-2023, 05:40 AM
Tried Butt Buffer for a while, it was in the "OK" but the the comfort level did not last. Hundred miles, I was ready for a change. My solution was Buffer for fifty to a hundred miles, back to OEM seat. Just kept rotating. Not sure what would work for me over time, I don't want to spend a pocket full of $ trying to find that seat that I may never find.

KX5062
03-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Another happy Air Hawk customer here. However, my wife prefers the Alaska sheepskin cover.

OldAge
03-13-2023, 10:44 AM
Here is one I am waiting for spring to test. Like the Air Hawk, I suspect too much air would be a problem. Or if you like it can be filled with water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peteoz
03-13-2023, 02:46 PM
Tried Butt Buffer for a while, it was in the "OK" but the the comfort level did not last. Hundred miles, I was ready for a change. My solution was Buffer for fifty to a hundred miles, back to OEM seat. Just kept rotating. Not sure what would work for me over time, I don't want to spend a pocket full of $ trying to find that seat that I may never find.

Bill, for not much more than the cost of a one size fits all seat like Ultimate etc, and that may or may not work for you, you can have a seat made to your body shape by Russell Daylong or Seth Laam that will guarantee you can find that seat with all day comfort.

Pete

Pooch
03-13-2023, 03:31 PM
Air Hawk here … since they first came on the market. As stated already.. they are best with very little air in them.

ahh-cool
03-13-2023, 10:06 PM
Here is one I am waiting for spring to test. Like the Air Hawk, I suspect too much air would be a problem. Or if you like it can be filled with water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $30 I will try this

ahh-cool
03-13-2023, 10:08 PM
contact motorcycledave a sponsor here and get one of his pads and install it under your seat cover. I put one on my seat and it turned a 2 hr seat into an all day day after day seat.

I bought his pads and installed them in my old bike. They were great. The problem was I tried to smooth out a wrinkle and made it too tight and the seat ripped at the seam. My wife will not let me do that again. I liked that cushion a lot

RNBOB
03-14-2023, 05:38 AM
Air Hawk here … since they first came on the market. As stated already.. they are best with very little air in them.

Which size for rider seat and which size for passenger seat? I also have 2021 RTL.

Jesster72
03-14-2023, 03:46 PM

This is the way..... We mix it up each fuel stop. We alternate between a Butt Buffer, a no-name seat pad (don't even remember where I got it from), and the Spyder seat. Each fuel stop, we just rotate to the next one. For the long days pounding the interstate to get somewhere interesting, it breaks up the monotony on the bottom.

Pooch
03-14-2023, 04:10 PM

Which size for rider seat and which size for passenger seat? I also have 2021 RTL.

My Air Hawk is very old. I bought it for a Suzuki Boulevard with a big touring seat. That same cushion has been on my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700, my Kawasaki Vulcan 900, and my Honda Gold Wing GL1800. I never carried a passenger so don't know what size that back seat would take.
Quite frankly I haven't had to use it on my 2021 Spyder RTL as that seat is very comfortable for me.

Wahrsuul
03-15-2023, 10:17 AM
Air Hawk here too. Buy the ReVB large - 14x14.5.

ahh-cool
03-16-2023, 12:40 AM
I think maybe I'll try the Airhawk again

KAMJAM
03-17-2023, 07:01 PM
+1 on the Air Hawk. We have been using them for years on our rides, from way before Roho sold the company off. We work with wheelchairs, seating, positioning, and wound care. The Roho, which is what the Air Hawk is based on, is supposed to reduce pressure to the bony prominences (sit bones) by spreading (distributing) the pressure by means of immersions, reduce shearing forces as the cells move with you and allow for air circulation between the cells.
I have used a pressure mapping system with and without the Air Hawk, the difference is significant, the key is proper inflation. You want just enough air in the cushion to prevent bottoming out, this will vary on your build/frame type. A really good starting point is to slightly over inflate the cushion, then open the valve with the cushion on a flat surface and no rider or pressure on it, let it equalize and close the valve. Because there isn't a whole lot of air in the cushion, very small changes in volume make a big difference.
You should be able to rock slightly to the left and right and feel your IT's (sit bones) just start to bottom out, you can even use you hand to gauge the distance, it should be about the thickness of your finger between the seat and your IT's. FYI Temperature and altitude do affect the pressure.

I hope this helps,
Ken

FrogmanDave
03-18-2023, 01:31 PM
+1 on the Air Hawk. We have been using them for years on our rides, from way before Roho sold the company off. We work with wheelchairs, seating, positioning, and wound care. The Roho, which is what the Air Hawk is based on, is supposed to reduce pressure to the bony prominences (sit bones) by spreading (distributing) the pressure by means of immersions, reduce shearing forces as the cells move with you and allow for air circulation between the cells.
I have used a pressure mapping system with and without the Air Hawk, the difference is significant, the key is proper inflation. You want just enough air in the cushion to prevent bottoming out, this will vary on your build/frame type. A really good starting point is to slightly over inflate the cushion, then open the valve with the cushion on a flat surface and no rider or pressure on it, let it equalize and close the valve. Because there isn't a whole lot of air in the cushion, very small changes in volume make a big difference.
You should be able to rock slightly to the left and right and feel your IT's (sit bones) just start to bottom out, you can even use you hand to gauge the distance, it should be about the thickness of your finger between the seat and your IT's. FYI Temperature and altitude do affect the pressure.

I hope this helps,
Ken

Very good input KAMJAM. Some of the best I've ever read.

Longtimer
03-18-2023, 09:30 PM
Kamjam answer is why this form works so great for us spyder owners .We tell each other what we have found by experience someone is always trying to help each other. Thanks

ahh-cool
03-19-2023, 07:31 AM
I think I'm going with the AirHawk. I'm on the road, I have to wait till we are in a place long enough to order it
Thanks

KAMJAM
03-19-2023, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the positive responses, don't hesitate hit me up with questions on the forum or pm.
Thanks,
Ken

Arachnerds
04-05-2023, 06:32 PM
We cut some seat-sized pieces of memory foam (later switched out the memory foam for some Egg Sitter gel cushions) and put them under a couple of sheepskins from IKEA. Cool and comfy for long rides!

Heisty
04-08-2023, 09:50 PM
I kept the Alaska Leather when I finally sold my Indian Springfield. It works great on my RTL, for me, but if I didn’t have it, sounds like the AirHawk would be worth a try!

Drwerner
04-30-2023, 02:53 PM
I started with a Wild Ass seat cushion (very nice) then added a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover - and love them both.