PDA

View Full Version : Cardo Custom Subscription Plan, good or bad idea?

TCBoone
03-09-2023, 10:09 AM
The big awaited upgrade that was just announced by Cardo is a three-tiered subscription plan. It does not seem to have any significantly new features.

A number of companies have been attempting to adopt this subscription model. Does this type of offering really work? It has generated a lot of negative publicity for this company so far.

I think there are better ways to get the features they offer. I much prefer to pay upfront own the product outright and avoid this yearly subscription.

Is it time to buy from another company.
Are you considering this, what are your thoughts on the subscription plan idea?

troop
03-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Personally, I think it's a lame plan. If you're hooked on Cardo, then you make it work. My Sena's have everything I need/want standard, so I'll stick with them.

Flamewinger
03-09-2023, 11:39 AM
Looks to be a new headset that you can change the features when you want because of the subscription. The earlier headsets work they way we are used to and don’t seem to need a subscription. I have the Edge and find it works better than my older Packtalk or Sena 30.

The comments under this video say it all. Bad idea for Cardo.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=DSnWaorKc9A&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

EdMat
03-09-2023, 11:57 AM
We are not only going to bend you over up front, we are coming back on a monthly/yearly basis just to get what is now the basic's.

No thanks. Tired of seeing subscriptions for owned goods.

ARtraveler
03-09-2023, 12:44 PM
I avoid "subscription" plans like I would the plague.

They usually require a cc # on file. They bill you at will and most of the time it is for the new, more expensive rate. They hide the place where you can uncheck the box for the "bill at will" stuff. I recently got stiffed by McAfee virus protection and will not be renewing the "next" time.

To have to "subscribe" for an item that used to be a buy once and done, is just another "scam" to put money into the pocket of a greedy supplier. :bowdown: :bowdown:

gkamer
03-09-2023, 05:41 PM
I’m not a big fan of any subscription service. I’ve read where some car and motorcycle manufacturers have also gone to subscription services on some of their vehicles in order for the purchaser to use some features that are already built into the vehicle. That’s crazy. That’s like Can Am trying to charge you a monthly or yearly fee to use cruise control on a Spyder that already has it, it’s just not “turned on”.

IGETAROUND
03-09-2023, 06:29 PM
I think the thing to keep uppermost in mind is that ALL the other Cardo offerings are subscription free. I think enough people will vote against this with their pocketbooks. All the other Cardo products are unaffected by this marketing choice by Cardo.

I have a Pack Talk Bold which I'm very pleased with Cardo is a good company with great products that work exceptionally well. I doubt that it will take them too long to realize that they have made a marketing blunder and do some type of revision.

Al in Kazoo

TCBoone
03-09-2023, 08:44 PM
The subscription model for locked features is a terrible idea, not surprising considering that it is owned by a private investment firm.

Dr. Abraham Glezerman, the Founder and Chairman of Cardo, sold his company that he started in 2003 for 150 million on 4/6/21.

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/emk-capital/recent_investments

Jetfixer
03-10-2023, 07:13 AM
Sounds like these subscription levels are just different firmware files transmitted either by Bluetooth or WIFI. I wonder how long it will take the hacker world to "jailbreak" these units.

Jetfixer
03-10-2023, 07:20 AM
Looks to be a new headset that you can change the features when you want because of the subscription. The earlier headsets work they way we are used to and don’t seem to need a subscription. I have the Edge and find it works better than my older Packtalk or Sena 30.

Wow. I believe this is the first time I've seen 100% negative reviews! This is a huge mistake by Cardo.

bikerbillone
03-10-2023, 07:28 AM
A really bad idea, they have you by the 'you know what' and squeeze you for $ forever.

rap4th
03-10-2023, 08:02 AM
I don't think it is a good idea. I asked everyone for recommendations and was told that something new was coming out for Cardo. So I waited and I saw it and went nah....and bought the Cardo Edge Dual. Just received it yesterday and will be setting them up in both my and my wife's helmets this weekend!!

Rob

slhanks004
03-10-2023, 10:46 AM
I’m not a big fan of any subscription service. I’ve read where some car and motorcycle manufacturers have also gone to subscription services on some of their vehicles in order for the purchaser to use some features that are already built into the vehicle. That’s crazy. That’s like Can Am trying to charge you a monthly or yearly fee to use cruise control on a Spyder that already has it, it’s just not “turned on”.

Please don't give them any ideas.

RayBJ
03-10-2023, 12:12 PM
I quit Microsoft when they moved to Office 365 subscription model. I was an early MS adopter starting from MS-DOS up thru all Windows & Office versions.
Last year I moved to the Cardo Edge (also have Sena 50S on 2nd lid) because it's better than the Sena but if Cardo stays with this plan (which is likely) I'll look elsewhere when a replacement is needed.

Navydad
03-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Money grab.

Pirate
03-10-2023, 11:26 PM
Luckily most of the features of the Custom are included and not extra. Think Cardo didn't quite think things through, especially since cardo has Sena as competition. One reason why BRP has drastically raised their pricing....no real competition in the 3 wheeled market.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 12:51 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. A link would be nice.

Peter Aawen
03-11-2023, 02:11 AM

Do you mean a link like the one from Flamewinger at post #3 in this thread that I quoted above, Pete?? :dontknow:

Piratezz
03-11-2023, 02:15 AM
Welcome to the digital world! BMW has also the same plan; they want you to pay for heated seats/steering wheel & also for updates to the built-in nav system; that's a disaster waiting to happen... Look at Tesla, where drivers/owners need to pay for the self-driving options.

I am a firm believer that if you want something, you buy it; then it's yours during the lifespan of the product, not a monthly subscription...

Pirate
03-11-2023, 02:56 AM

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/cardo-launches-packtalk-custom-with-pay-per-feature-plans/

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 10:40 AM
I think subscription plans make a lot of sense. There are benefits to the consumer, the manufacturer, the retailer and the environment. I don't see a down side to them.

bikerbillone
03-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Pete, are you subscribed? If so, are you happy with it?

RayBJ
03-11-2023, 10:59 AM
I think subscription plans make a lot of sense. There are benefits to the consumer, the manufacturer, the retailer and the environment. I don't see a down side to them.

Where is the logic in BUYING a product and then paying RENT to use it?

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:09 AM

That wouldn't make any sense, but that's not what it is. Read it.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:10 AM
Pete, are you subscribed? If so, are you happy with it?

No, I have a Sena. I paid for way more features than I'll ever use.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:15 AM
Luckily most of the features of the Custom are included and not extra. Think Cardo didn't quite think things through, especially since cardo has Sena as competition. One reason why BRP has drastically raised their pricing....no real competition in the 3 wheeled market.

Exactly.

BTW, I'm responding to only the highlighted part of the quote, not the rest of it, with which I disagree.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the digital world! BMW has also the same plan; they want you to pay for heated seats/steering wheel & also for updates to the built-in nav system; that's a disaster waiting to happen... Look at Tesla, where drivers/owners need to pay for the self-driving options.

I am a firm believer that if you want something, you buy it; then it's yours during the lifespan of the product, not a monthly subscription...

That's why leasing is such an enormous flop I suppose...?

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Do you mean a link like the one from Flamewinger at post #3 in this thread that I quoted above, Pete?? :dontknow:

Thanks Peter. I think social media isn't the best place to find unbiased information though.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 11:40 AM
We are not only going to bend you over up front, we are coming back on a monthly/yearly basis just to get what is now the basic's.

No thanks. Tired of seeing subscriptions for owned goods.

Except, that's not how it works. The basics are part of the upfront cost. You only pay for additional features IF YOU WANT THEM

Pirate
03-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Exactly.

BTW, I'm responding to only the highlighted part of the quote, not the rest of it, with which I disagree.

Well, based on the responses here and online, I think you are in the minority opinion. Sena and its cozy relations with several helmet manufacturers (which Cardo has none), and Cardo's unpopular subscription model, are a good indicator of Cardo losing any market share they may have had.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 12:59 PM
Well, based on the responses here and online, I think you are in the minority opinion. Sena and its cozy relations with several helmet manufacturers (which Cardo has none), and Cardo's unpopular subscription model, are a good indicator of Cardo losing any market share they may have had.

I'm usually the one out of step with the majority when it comes to opinions on controversial topics.

I think prognosticating on marketing decisions of large, successful companies is not something many of us are qualified to do. But, I suppose it is entertaining for some.

Flamewinger
03-11-2023, 01:50 PM

Their logic is this new headset is cheaper and usable for the single rider. BUT if you ride with a group on the odd occasion or see a need for using your phone for calls, then you can add the extra capability as part of the subscription for the month then turn it off when you don’t need it. For the short run (1-2 years) it’s cheaper, for the long run (3-4 or more years) you’ll end up paying more than just buying a fully capable headset.

There is also the problem of activating a feature then forgetting to turn it off for 2-3 months. Then you pay for something you don’t need.

ARtraveler
03-11-2023, 02:30 PM
There are some aboard that do have a bit of knowledge on the marketing subject.

In addition to teaching Accounting (20 + years) at the college level, I taught Managerial Accounting (20 + years) and Marketing for a couple years. :bowdown:

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
There are some aboard that do have a bit of knowledge on the marketing subject. In addition to teaching Accounting (20 + years) at the college level, I taught Managerial Accounting (20 + years) and Marketing for a couple years. :bowdown:

In addition to a higher education in business, which we both have, I think hands-on experience working at the C-suite level, even in smaller organizations, is essential to understanding how business decisions get made. I may not like the impact that a company's decisions have on my life, but in most cases I don't presume to know better than the executives making those decisions.

ARtraveler
03-11-2023, 08:24 PM
In addition to a higher education in business, which we both have, I think hands-on experience working at the C-suite level, even in smaller organizations, is essential to understanding how business decisions get made. I may not like the impact that a company's decisions have on my life, but in most cases I don't presume to know better than the executives making those decisions.

:agree: I was also a finance director for two different non-profits while in AK. That gave me a little experience in finance decision making. I did that for 11 years in addition to the teaching. For awhile, I had three jobs.

UtahPete
03-11-2023, 09:41 PM
:agree: I was also a finance director for two different non-profits while in AK. That gave me a little experience in finance decision making. I did that for 11 years in addition to the teaching. For awhile, I had three jobs.

I'm sure there was some Monday morning quarterbacking by those not in the boardroom about decisions made by those who were.

ARtraveler
03-16-2023, 11:36 AM
I'm sure there was some Monday morning quarterbacking by those not in the boardroom about decisions made by those who were.

An interesting aside. Both the non-profits were environmental groups. I was the "odd man out" in both places. A few times they asked me how the "other side" felt about what they were doing.

UtahPete
03-16-2023, 11:45 AM
An interesting aside. Both the non-profits were environmental groups. I was the "odd man out" in both places. A few times they asked me how the "other side" felt about what they were doing.

I can just imagine! Fortunately finance and accounting are pretty much non-partisan.

TinyDean
04-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Just to add my two cents. I know one of regional managers for Cardo. When they were owned by the former owner they bent over backwards to be a helpful company. They replaced my old Q series headset a couple of times while out of warranty. They treated us so well that when our club decided to purchase Headgear we all went with Cardo's. We probably have about 20 riders using Cardo Packtalk. I have tried Sena. I would not waste time tying to hook them up. Noisy and temperamental. This new subscription plan is simply a money grabbing scam. I am surprised they are making us pay to call in for service. Cardo used to always be at the Daytona Racetrack for bike week. They have been missing now for several years. I still love my packtalk but I am no longer in love with the company. They are too busy trying to recoup the money they spent buying out the former owner. Buy an older unit stay away from the subscription.

bikerbillone
04-11-2023, 01:52 PM
Tiny, excellent comment, I'm certainly not in love with Sena, units drove me nuts, but that's just me. Too bad about Cardo, but that's the go to for my next communication, just get one of the older units from Amazon or Ebay.

slhanks004
04-11-2023, 04:48 PM

Exactly, I think we can thank Elon Musk for this subscription concept.