PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Dave here with a Drivers License question

Motorcycledave
03-07-2023, 09:26 PM
As many of you from all over the good ole USA please chime in.....
Lets say I decided to move from California or any other state and
I possess a valid drivers license AND have the motorcycle endorsement
that has been in effect for years, which means I can ride any motorcycle
of any size or any 3 wheeled vehicle, such as a Spyder-or a 3 wheel Harley
or other 3 wheeled rig... when you go to the local DMV to get your License
for that state do you have to take some kind of a test to see if you can ride
even if you have been riding with a valid Motorcycle License for years in your
home state.
Just wondering.....
Thanks
Dave

oldguyinTX
03-07-2023, 09:37 PM
When I moved back to Texas from Connecticut in 2021 both my DL & MC endorsement transferred with no problem. No testing. I passed the eye exam be repeating what the guy in front of me recited. I did have to jump through all of the hoops again for the Real ID, which TX did not recognize from CT. Just a money grab.

rayeade
03-07-2023, 09:45 PM
It is the same pretty much in South Carolina.

2dogs
03-07-2023, 10:27 PM
Pretty much depends on the state. Email them and ask them. They'll tell you. Goooooood luck.

hut1
03-07-2023, 10:53 PM
I received my initial driver's license about 50 years ago, and my motorcycle endorsement a couple of years later. Many years later I moved to Ohio for five years, and then New York for four. Each time everything transferred over with no test required. When I made my last move back to Delaware, not only did my endorsement remain intact, but they re-issued me my same old license number!

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-07-2023, 10:58 PM
home state.
Just wondering.....
Thanks
Dave

Every State has rules requirements etc. ..... check with the State DMV that you are interested in ..... otherwise you are going to get 2nd. 3rd. or 4th hand info that might have not have any thing close to reality ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Haze
03-08-2023, 12:21 AM
Moved from Pittsburgh, PA to Carson City, NV.
Both MC endorsement and Auto Drivers license transferred without testing except for the eye test.

SLICE
03-08-2023, 04:40 AM
Massachusetts to Florida, went to DMV and all my endorsements just transferred over: CDL; hazmat; tanker; doubles; MC.
Only snafu was that I needed a health card from a Florida doctor.

Little Blue
03-08-2023, 05:05 AM
:chat:...Welcome to Indiana, currently we will accept the 49 other states license.
But things could change next year.
It's all about the money and costs of doing things.

Definitely check out the states DMV for the most recent terms.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

Mikey
03-08-2023, 05:49 AM
State of Maine, they would just swap them over, the only test you may have would be a eye test maybe.

george123
03-08-2023, 06:20 AM
Dave, by all means flee the “Peoples Republic of Kalifornia”. Come to Texas, great riding in the hill country just northwest of San Antonio. We would love to have you here. My motorcycle endorsement transferred from Tennessee with no problem.

Excoastie
03-08-2023, 06:41 AM
Ditto in Louisiana

--Exco

Gwolf
03-08-2023, 08:33 AM
Really don't know, because I have never taken a test or anything. Florida did not have a motorcycle endorsement requirement when I started riding. About 1968 when they passed the requirement for a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride one, everybody who already had a motorcycle register in Florida in their name was automatically grandfathered in and got the new motorcycle endorsement if they just brought their current motorcycle tag registration in to the DMV. Always kept mine current ever since then.

This might help you though...... it has the basic motorcycle licensing requirements for all 50 states. Doesn't say about moving from another state, but most now require you to pass the Basic Motorcycle Rider Course or the Motorcycle Skills Test. I would think that if you had proof you completed the required Motorcycle Riders Course in the state you can from, that you could get a license in the new state without re-testing.

https://explore.rumbleon.com/posts/how-to-get-a-motorcycle-license

Here is another state by state list of the requirements to get a motorcycle license. It also lists the required training courses for each state;
https://www.cardosystems.com/blog/how-to-get-a-motorcycle-license-in-every-state/

AMA used to have a list of the state by state requirements, but I can't find it now.

K80Shooter
03-08-2023, 09:03 AM
I gotta agree with BLUEKNIGHT911 on this one. Every state is different, and laws are constantly changing.

Not sure if BLUEKNIGHT911 had a typo or not but in Ga it is the DMV. (Department of Motor Vehicles)

Trbayth
03-08-2023, 09:10 AM
When I moved from New Jersey to New York the M3 endorsement on my NJ license was changed to just an M endorsement in NY. No test of any kind required.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-08-2023, 09:18 AM
I gotta agree with BLUEKNIGHT911 on this one. Every state is different, and laws are constantly changing.

Not sure if BLUEKNIGHT911 had a typo or not but in Ga it is the DMV. (Department of Motor Vehicles)

Yes ---- I corrected that thanks ..... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Good advice to check with your "new" state about the rules for licenses.

Most states now accept just a transfer of the old license(s) and endorsements without any written tests. Most states do require a vision test. I have now lived in four different states since leaving Indiana. All the states I have been in have just filled out the new license paperwork without taking any written or driving tests. I have had a m/c endorsement since the 60's. That has always transferred. I even kept it when I had a five year period of no motorcycle.

The testing has pretty much gone by the wayside as an economic saving for the state. There are arguments for both sides on that one...so I will stay out of that.

FrogmanDave
03-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Every State has rules requirements etc. ..... check with the State DMV that you are interested in ..... otherwise you are going to get 2nd. 3rd. or 4th hand info that might have not have any thing close to reality ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

:agree:

Dave, by all means flee the “Peoples Republic of Kalifornia”.

That was not necessary.

RiderDuke
03-08-2023, 06:50 PM
home state.
Just wondering.....
Thanks
Dave

Where you thinking of moving to?

Quickdraw
03-10-2023, 12:12 PM
NY State doesn't require a 2 wheel license but does require you either take the 3 wheel test (which is basically a joke... at least when my wife took it), or take the 2 day course. If you have a 2 wheel license, no need for a 3 wheel test.

Motorcycledave
03-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Not moving just curious

RayBJ
03-10-2023, 01:57 PM
Coming to New Jersey only requires funding the DMV when transferring your license/registration. No tests (which is scary because they let my 91 y/o F-in-L transfer - not even an eye test!).