PDA

View Full Version : Lost a great companion yesterday

DynamoBT
11-01-2009, 11:13 AM
We had to put our 7 yr old Giant Schnauzer, Leroy, to sleep yesterday. In a series of very unexpected events he lost the ability to stand on his rear legs. We hung in there for a few days helping him with bodily functions. But he was in pain. And medication wasn't helping. We took him in to see our Vet one more time hoping she would pull something out of her hat to restore him. It was not to be.

Leroy was my faithful guardian of the house. He would sound the alert at any noise outside or someone driving in the driveway. I never felt so safe at home alone as when Leroy was with me. Nothing escaped his eagle eyed attention.

The house is so quiet. We are really missing him as are my other two dogs, Bull Terriers mother and son. I only write this because I know there are dog owners here who will understand our loss. We are going to go through quite the adjustment without Leroy.

We used to call him our big fuzzy spider because of his long black hairy legs. Solid black he was. It's almost fitting that he died on Halloween. He's gone much too soon and suddenly. We are really quite stunned by his loss.

bjt
11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
So sorry to hear of this.

krb1945
11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
losing your pet. Every time we lose a pet it just destroys me for several days. Olivia and I get to attached to them. We now have a Jack Russel terrier.

Smylinacha
11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I am a former dog owner, now owning cats. I am so sorry for your loss! We just had to put our cat down in July - she got attacked by something outside (she never liked being cooped up in the house) and she got very ill.

It was very strange w/out her around and it was terribly hard at first. I'm so sorry for your loss and want to send a great big hug of comfort on over to ya.

Roaddog2
11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry. Around here Pets are Family :pray:

rleathen
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
We had to put our 7 yr old Giant Schnauzer, Leroy, to sleep yesterday. In a series of very unexpected events he lost the ability to stand on his rear legs. We hung in there for a few days helping him with bodily functions. But he was in pain. And medication wasn't helping. We took him in to see our Vet one more time hoping she would pull something out of her hat to restore him. It was not to be.

Leroy was my faithful guardian of the house. He would sound the alert at any noise outside or someone driving in the driveway. I never felt so safe at home alone as when Leroy was with me. Nothing escaped his eagle eyed attention.

The house is so quiet. We are really missing him as are my other two dogs, Bull Terriers mother and son. I only write this because I know there are dog owners here who will understand our loss. We are going to go through quite the adjustment without Leroy.

We used to call him our big fuzzy spider because of his long black hairy legs. Solid black he was. It's almost fitting that he died on Halloween. He's gone much too soon and suddenly. We are really quite stunned by his loss.

Regardless of what anybody says, pets, and in my case dogs, ARE as much a part of the family as my own wife and kids are (just a little lower on the food chain). Having said this it was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make when we (read that I) had to make the decision to put our last german shepherd down. Fortunately our vet had a back door that I was able to use because there is nothing worse then seeeing a grown man bawling his eyes out walking through the waiting room. My two kids handled the situation better then I did !!! We have a new german shepherd now and she is extremely attached to me as I am to her. She is the best dog I have ever had and I dread the day when I may be forced to make that same decision once again.

DynamoBT I truly feel your pain.

cwhcwh
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
DynamoBT I am so sorry for your loss. Pets (especialy dogs) are very easy to get attached to and are truely part of the family. I am a K-9 Officer and I cant imagine being without my partner and best friend, even though I know some day I will be. Just focus on the happy times and remember the love and joy he brought to you and your family. And also think of the love and joy you and your family brought to his life.

RubyRed
11-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

DynamoBT
11-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks people. These first few days without him are tough. But I'm trying to think of him fully restored and running free without pain. Support from those who understand is helpful. So many people don't get what the big deal is losing a dog.

We don't treat our dogs like humans. But we don't have kids and our dogs are an integral part of our family. I feel like I've lost a part of myself.

So thanks for understanding. I appreciate it.

This may not load as I'm having internet problems this morning. Thought I'd try this anyway.

irish2themax
11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
So sorry man. I know what you are going through. Our pets give us unconditional love...never asking for anything in return. It is especially difficult to lose one and I feel your pain.

Gimpy Girl
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending you good thoughts during this difficult time~

mdr
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. We had to put our German Shepherd (Bear) down a few months ago when, like your dog, he lost the ability to stand. Two weeks ago our cat passed away. The house just isn't it the same and both of us have experienced real grief. I hope Bear and Leroy have met up there and that they are running around and causing all kinds of mischief!

DynamoBT
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear about Bear. When these big dogs have issues it can really be their undoing. Very sad. I hope Bear and Leroy are tearing up the grass racing around pain free.

Really, the only way I'm able to deal with this is knowing that Leroy is no longer in pain. I'm sure that's how you felt about your dog, Bear. Still, it's a real b!%#h no matter how you look at it. It just stinks.

4leafpat
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
We are sorry to hear of your loss....Pat

dltang
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
So sorry for you loss BT. Dogs have always been a part of my family and it hurts when we have to say goodbye.

SpyderByter
11-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry for your loss.

DynamoBT
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you all for your kind words of understanding. It's tough at home without Leroy. But I know it will get better eventually.

It is a great help to know that others can empathize with what we are going though. Dogs' only fault really is that they don't live long enough.