PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SM5 Mods

kromc5
10-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Performance sway bar
http://evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-can-am.htm

Great addition did not follow the first steps in the instructions.
Only need to remove the bolts under the front of the spyder and
prop the trunk up by inch. Did not disconnect lights, diag plug etc.
Was able to easily get a wrench on the bolts with the trunk lift
slightly. Did not need to jack the spyder up at all. Tracking
is greatly improved, steering feels more precise.

Finish: Appears to be well made.

Fit: Excellent

Price vs Performance Gain: Very good

Shipping Protection: Very well packaged, no damage

Shipping ETA: Very quick under week

Instructions: Good

================================================== ============================

o2 modifier

Great add on to the spyder. Helped quite a bit
on the lower end especially under 3000rpm.
Idle is much more stable as well. Could not tell
from any noticeable difference on top end.

Finish: Appears to be well made.

Fit: Very small part, easy to zip tie under the seat.

Price vs Performance Gain: Excellent

Shipping ETA: Very quick under week

Instructions: Excellent

Powerbus system

Part received not installed yet.

bjt
11-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Sounds like you got a good mod list going. :thumbup:

cwhcwh
11-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Sounds like you got a good mod list going. :thumbup:

:agree: Thanks for the write ups, very useful.

SpyderWolf
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Very nice list you have created. I am looking forward to seeing your reports on the parts that have not come in yet as well. :thumbup:

kromc5
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Thought I would try the BRP touring windshield. Since it has been raining steadily for several weeks thought this might work well for the rainy days, and the calsci when it was not.

Bought the 23 inch model.
I'm 5ft 9.

Fit- Perfect

Clarity - Excellent

Instructions - Included and excellent

Will this mod stay on the spyder: No

Packaging - Not enough to protect windshield, tint on lower windshield
was damaged and flaking off. The windshield is not secured in the box and lots of room for it to move around.

Price / Performance: Very low due to wind noise

Plus:
The windshield did a great job keep the wind off my gloves and upper body.

Cons
Riding Experience: Ear Plugs is a must, ride in this evening was terrible. Put my elbow on the steering wheel at 15 minutes into the ride I could not take the wind noise anymore. Felt like I had a mini fan in my helmet blowing in my eyes it was very strange to have so much wind entering the helmet.
I would rather have the stock on and have rain and wind blowing on me than take the wind noise.

SpyderWolf
11-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback about that windscreen. I am sorry it did not work out well for you. I have only gone as far as the sport touring one as I still want my Spyder to look sporty.

SpyderWolf
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Perhaps you could try one of the windshields from http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f or just get the brackets and experiment with the BRP touring and the Calsci.

kromc5
11-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Perhaps you could try one of the windshields from http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f or just get the brackets and experiment with the BRP touring and the Calsci.

Thank you for the helpful information, I will most certainly consider this.

kromc5
11-05-2009, 01:44 AM
kewlmetal Can-Am Spyder Mirror Extensions
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_39&products_id=46&osCsid=f3d4eebc46d1ed93e7c5f344c1701d64

Fit- Perfect

Finish - Detail: Excellent, no rough edges, no additional hardware needed,
everything was included.

Instructions - Yes, even in color very nice touch.

Will this mod stay on the spyder: Yes

Packaging - Excellent

Price / Performance: Very high due to increase visibily

Cons
None

Riding Experience: Awesome, much improved rider safety.

Installation: Very easy, thanks to post from tjfischer, following these instructions made it very easy. I did remove body work and used shop light
to assist with using the screw driver to create slack.

Install Experience required: Beginner

Credit: tjfischer

"You should remove the console. There are a couple of plastic clips that keep the wires in place. If you look on top of the dash where the safety card is and pull it out (as if you were to read it) you will notice two small holes. In order to get to them, I removed the windshield (easier for me). If you insert a small screwdriver onto those small wholes being carefull, slide it down behind the console. It will pop out very easily. You will quickly notice the turn signal wires. Remove them from the clips, get the slack you need, mount the estensions and put it back together. (30 minute install)

If you have a small bent screwdriver you can do the same thing, without removing the windshield. Me I did not want to damage mine.

Good luck"

Review Update - Nov 5, 12:59

Instead the rubber bushings that are shown in the instructions, my spyder has steel. The problem is it does not allow to tighten
down on the extensions. The mirrors did not appear to move on a short trip at 40mph, but they do move with minimal effort.

kromc5
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
HMF Carbon Exhaust
http://hmfracing.com/shop/pipes/can-am/spyder-09

From the videos the HMF seemed to be very quite compared to the other systems. It’s much louder than I thought it would be, I have similar exhaust on my sport bikes but the delta between stock and aftermarket is huge. I guess the stock was very quite due to the catalytic converter in it. The HMF weights 5.4lbs to the stocks 18lbs. I will try and upload a video, not sure if going to keep it as I work nights quite often and this may be to loud to ride to work near midnight.

Finish: The carbon weave is excellent with no recognizable defects, weld on exhaust is excellent.

Fit: Excellent, tolerances are very close, slip on is perfectly round and mated up perfectly.

Price: Excellent, order directly from manufacture and saved over retailers / eBay.

Shipping ETA: Less than one week from order to delivery

Sound: Like the sound but maybe to loud to drive out of neighborhood in the late evenings / early dawn.

Instructions: None

Update: Nov 5, 1:21pm

Order the quite core for the HMF exhaust. Did not fit per the HMF instructions and to use hack saw and sander to get the pipe to flush fit
inside the exhaust system. Massive improvement sound output, will be able
to ride out of the neighbor hood in the evenings. Sounds much better than stock, produces a deep low note. No drone from the exhaust on at low or highway speeds.

Core link:http://hmfracing.com/shop/parts/quiet-core/quiet-core

Also just finished the givi saddlebag install, the aftermarket exhausts do not fit properly and need some macgyver mods to get to fit. Will post review shortly of the givi system.

Update Nov 11, 09
Pics attached of what the quite core looks like installed. It does come with a spark arrester attatched this could be remove easily. I decided to leave it thinking it may help quite the exhaust a little bit.

kromc5
11-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Calsi Large Windscreen
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Spyderprod.html
Received

Based on feedback on the forums and speaking and emailing them I decided to give it a try.

Bought the large model since the next size down was only for person 5ft 8.

Fit- Perfect

Clarity - Excellent

Instructions - No

Additional Parts: Fiber Cloth, Cleaning Solution, California Scientific
Tire Gauge

Packaging - Excellent, Very soft saran type wrap covered by soft cloth. Very tight fit, with good protection.

Price / Performance: Medium to low due to wind noise

Cons
This one is very big to me, cannot turn the steering to full turn without hitting your hands. Pulled in to my parking spot, via reverse went to turn quickly to back in and hit my hand very easily. Removed my hand from the clutch and attempt to further turn the syder and the windshield pushes the clutch in.

Riding Experience: Still more wind noise than stock, quieter than BRP touring. No ear plugs required under 50mph, once I was on the highway it
was to loud.

Additional Comments: With the Calsci when I would look down at the console the wind noise would increase dramatically. If I titled my head all the way back and looked up at the stars it was very quite.
Moving my head side to side made no difference in wind noise than when looking forward.

Unsure of what windshield to get next? I have always rode my bikes through winter, rain etc. So far have not found a quite windshield that works. From the two I have tried so far it seems you need at least 25 inch or higher. I will call California Scientific tomorrow morning to provide feedback and see about returning for XL model and see what can be done to be able to use the full steering of the spyder when needed for tight spaces.[/quote]

Update Nov 5, 1:31

After hitting my hands three times when backing out of the garage around the cars etc. I have decided to return the windshield, I did email Mark the issues I had and hoped they would make windshield that did not impede clutch operation or hit the fingers.

Update Nov 11, 09

Spoke with Mark concerning the windshield and was very reasonable about let me return the windshield.
Will update if any further additional information is required.

kromc5
11-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Easy to apply and dries very quick and is extremely pliable.

brutus450
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
seriously?? 1,200 bucks and it comes with exposed soldered connections like that?

I'm sorry but thats rediculous

kromc5
12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Update Pics - with it installed an the luggage bracket attached.

SpyderWolf
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Does this mean you got the answers to your questions about the parts then?

Have you tested the ride yet?

kromc5
12-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Hello SpyderWolf,
Don't have everything yet but hopefully I will get them quickly. I decided to to the full mock with air shock and all connections. It took so time to cut the bracket just right and run the wiring and drilling. Will update the thread as soon as I get the parts needed. I will provide a performance comparison once I get the system together.

Does this mean you got the answers to your questions about the parts then?

Have you tested the ride yet?

SpyderWolf
12-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Sounds good to me.

NancysToy
12-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Cons: Wiring is going to be a problem as the wires are to short and will have to be extended
if I run the connections to the front.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Dec 12, 5:49am
Required adding several feet to the connections when mounted in the steering wheel location.
Can feel heat build up in under a minute in both jacket and gloves. Still not sure what is
the best way to hook up the two together. The jacket as two plugs in each sleeve that
you can hook the gloves to to avoid the wires between them. The issue is the jacket
connection is way to short to reach the steering column. Will see if tourmaster has
an extension for this.
The heated clothing manufacurers and Powerlet make an extension cable to extend the wiring. I had to snag one for the Spyder since I brought my wiring out under the dash, too, and my BMW is wired to the Powerlet in the dash since the seat one is in use. Some of the heated gear has longer cables than others. My Tourmaster is short, my wife's Gerbing is slightly longer.

Tourmaster, FirstGear, and Gerbing all make a Y-shaped glove glove connection cables. Big PITA, since you need to wind these cords through your gear each time. If you ride with heated gloves, the jacket is much more convenient than the vest.

kromc5
12-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Thank you very much for the informaiton, I have order the extensions from powerlet.

The heated clothing manufacurers and Powerlet make an extension cable to extend the wiring. I had to snag one for the Spyder since I brought my wiring out under the dash, too, and my BMW is wired to the Powerlet in the dash since the seat one is in use. Some of the heated gear has longer cables than others. My Tourmaster is short, my wife's Gerbing is slightly longer.

Tourmaster, FirstGear, and Gerbing all make a Y-shaped glove glove connection cables. Big PITA, since you need to wind these cords through your gear each time. If you ride with heated gloves, the jacket is much more convenient than the vest.

kromc5
12-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Not sure of the best way to run the heating, and air ride toggles. Picked up 10ft of wire conduit and ran down the left side and up. So far this keeps cable movement to a minimal and does not impeded steering or cause the cable to tighten when turned to max either direction.

kromc5
12-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Calsi Large Windscreen
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Spyderprod.html
Received

Based on feedback on the forums and speaking and emailing them I decided to give it a try.

Bought the large model since the next size down was only for person 5ft 8.

Fit- Perfect

Clarity - Excellent

Instructions - No

Additional Parts: Fiber Cloth, Cleaning Solution, California Scientific
Tire Gauge

Packaging - Excellent, Very soft saran type wrap covered by soft cloth. Very tight fit, with good protection.

Price / Performance: Medium to low due to wind noise

Cons
This one is very big to me, cannot turn the steering to full turn without hitting your hands. Pulled in to my parking spot, via reverse went to turn quickly to back in and hit my hand very easily. Removed my hand from the clutch and attempt to further turn the syder and the windshield pushes the clutch in.

Riding Experience: Still more wind noise than stock, quieter than BRP touring. No ear plugs required under 50mph, once I was on the highway it
was to loud.

Additional Comments: With the Calsci when I would look down at the console the wind noise would increase dramatically. If I titled my head all the way back and looked up at the stars it was very quite.
Moving my head side to side made no difference in wind noise than when looking forward.

Unsure of what windshield to get next? I have always rode my bikes through winter, rain etc. So far have not found a quite windshield that works. From the two I have tried so far it seems you need at least 25 inch or higher. I will call California Scientific tomorrow morning to provide feedback and see about returning for XL model and see what can be done to be able to use the full steering of the spyder when needed for tight spaces.

Update 12/29/09
Finally got refunded for the windshield last week, was only refunded the amount for the shield and not shipping charges. Found this sad since the windshield was not usable if you have tight turns and not hit your hands on the windshield. This could be a great windshield if this defect was corrected.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6919
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6918
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6917
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6916

kromc5
12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
TourMaster Gear
1) Centurion One-Piece Suit Color - Black/Black, Size - Large
2) Synergy Heated Jacket Liner Color - Black, Size - Large
3) Synergy Heated Leather Gloves Color - Black, Size - Large
Currently 2:55am temperature 25f, will try and get everything installed
to night and go for a ride.

Centurion One-Piece Suit Color - Black/Black, Size - Large
Fit- Difficult to judge based on the tourmaster sizing chart. I decided
to go on size larger. Thankfully I did as it is tight on shoulders and arms.
Lots of attention to details in the suit, tons of zippers, cold weather
neck wrap built in. Tons of pockets and snaps for accessories.
Weight: 12lbs
Price vs Heat Gain: yet to be determined
Instructions - Good
Packaging: Excellent
Shipper: Motorcycle-Superstore.com
Excellent prices, fast shipping, $20 rebate on order
ETA: Arrived in 3 days free shipping
Plus: To be determined
Cons: To be determined

Centurion One-Piece Suit Color - Black/Black, Size - Large
Fit- Difficult to judge based on the tourmaster sizing chart. I decided
to go on size larger which fits perfect
Weight: 3lbs
Instructions - Good
Cons: Wiring is going to be a problem as the wires are to short and will have to be extended

Synergy Heated Leather Gloves Color - Black, Size - Large
Fit - Difficult to judge based on the tourmaster sizing chart. I decided
to go on size larger which fits perfect
Weight: 2lbs
Instructions - Good

Update: Dec 12, 5:49am
Required adding several feet to the connections when mounted in the steering wheel location.
Can feel heat build up in under a minute in both jacket and gloves. Still not sure what is
the best way to hook up the two together. The jacket as two plugs in each sleeve that
you can hook the gloves to to avoid the wires between them. The issue is the jacket
connection is way to short to reach the steering column. Will see if tourmaster has
an extension for this.

Update:
Took a ride at 6:30am with only the one piece suit and gloves minus heated jacket. Temperature was 24 degrees and light breeze, extremely overcast.
Clothes under Suit:
Sweatpants, two pair of socks, t-shirt, short sleeve shirt, light summer jacket.
Rode the back country roads for 20 minutes then hit the highway to my wife's work.
Gloves performed great need to set on high, palms did get a very slight chill.
Upper body was only slight chill as well, stayed remarkably comfortable on the trip there
and back. Round trip was around hour and 30 minutes. What I enjoyed was leaving
the gloves on when I stopped for gas, they were quite warm when I put them back on.

After riding with just my ski clothes for years through winter, this is a wonderful upgrade.
Once I correct the short jacket extension I will provide a review. Almost feel that its not needed but it
may come in handy on 4 hour ride in sub 30 temps.

I would say Motorcycle-Superstore.com was the fastest motorcycle specific shop I have
ordered from. Prices were spot on with everyone else and included free shipping with rebates.
Not often I see such quick service and good packaging from a motorcycle outlet.

Update --- 12/29/09

Love the tourmaster one piece suit, I can wear a light summer jacket with shorts to work in perfect comfort in 32 degree weather. Several rides now with in the the low 20's with sweat pants and heavier jacket with just a little chill. The suit is so warm it almost negates having the upper heated jacket. When I do go out I set the jacket for medium and the gloves on high and it is extremely warm. In order to use the jacket with the one piece suit I used (3) 24 inch extentions to run the plug out my left sleeve
and connect to the battery.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=7124
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=7123
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=7122
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=7121

SpyderWolf
12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out and are able to stay warm while ryding now. :congrats:

kromc5
12-31-2009, 06:29 AM
The air ride finally arrived yesterday evening. Per the video on the Kewmetal's site it recommends to put the system together and pressurize. Then allow to sit over night to make sure there are no leaks. System was nicely packaged and included instructions that are also in color.

Total weight of the system is 12.9lbs.

Will build this evening and perform the initial over night testing.

Update:
Kewmetal Testing Install Video
Per the vidoe is shows a 20 amp inline fuse, this was not
included in my kit. Will email Kewmetal to find out if this
is supposed to be included.
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Update
If you notice in the pictures number 2 and 3 starting from the left there are several exposed connections.
Just applied some brush on electrical tape to those. If anyone has not used this before I highly recommend
it. Very easy to apply and is superior to regular electrical tape.
Amazon.com: BRUSH-ON ELECTRICAL TAPE -- BLACK: Automotive

Udpate: Dec 05 09

Finally over my surgery and started working on the installation. Not only did the kit not come with the 20amp fuse, but is missing
the end piece on the pump to hook to hose up to. If you look at the pics you can see that when I opened the kit it only has a red
gasket on the pump. I'm on my second email to Kewmetal asking for the part for the pump. I had a spare fuse kit so that is not a big deal. I will let update on the progress one the parts come in.

If you have the luggage racket kit you will need to cut a small incision in the luggage bracket on the right side to
install the Kewmetal bracket. I used a dewalt angle grinder to cutter the incision on the bracket.

Update Dec 30 4:17 Am
Got the second part in that was missing last week. Went to remove the incorrect part and could not budget it. Had to put two wrenches on the pump head to resist the torque on the pump head. The incorrect part must have been installed using air wrench, etc. It was entirely screwed in wrong to about the last 6 threads inside the pump. Take a look at the pics of the part, very dissapointed. Got out the tap & die set and cleaned up the threads on the pump best I could. I was able to get a tight fit and did not appear to want to strip on tightening. So far allowed it to sit for 2 days no air leaks. I have now have the system installed. Rainy and very cold but did take a quick ride, you can set it to be like you have a solid rod for a shock or extremely soft with back pressure on the shock. Can set the shock were you have no movement downward riding two up. Will take some longer rides for me to give you a better idea. Interesting in setting to lowest ride height to see if this gives any weight transfer to the rear wheel.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6921

Stripped Part
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=7238

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6920

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6922

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=575&pictureid=6923