PDA

View Full Version : Need a Jump Start/CPAP Battery - recommendations?

Haze
02-14-2023, 11:31 PM
I'm looking for battery to carry on the Spyder for jump starting (if needed) and to be a power supply for my CPAP when camping.
So far every dedicated jump stat battery I've tied has failed (in one night) when used to run the CPAP. Less than 1A draw without using a humidifier.
My current solution is to carry jumper cables and a standard 12V Gel Cell that is a bit larger than my Spyder battery.
I can charge this rig from the Spyder while riding. But this setup is large and heavy.
Has anyone found a suitable Jumper battery to solve this dilemma?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-15-2023, 12:30 AM
I'm looking for battery to carry on the Spyder for jump starting (if needed) and to be a power supply for my CPAP when camping.
So far every dedicated jump stat battery I've tied has failed (in one night) when used to run the CPAP. Less than 1A draw without using a humidifier.
My current solution is to carry jumper cables and a standard 12V Gel Cell that is a bit larger than my Spyder battery.
I can charge this rig from the Spyder while riding. But this setup is large and heavy.
Has anyone found a suitable Jumper battery to solve this dilemma?

I think the issue is the CPAP machine .... I don't think any " jump start " device is going to provide 6 + hrs. of power. I suggest contacting a medical equipment provider and ask them for advice on how to run your CPAP machine using a battery ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Lew L
02-15-2023, 12:46 AM
The Smallest gas generator you can find. I heard of other systems other than CPAP also.

Lew L

UtahPete
02-15-2023, 12:51 AM
I run my cpap from a small lithium battery. It lasts well thru the night with capacity remaining. It would never provide enough amps to run a starter motor though.

pegasus1300
02-15-2023, 12:55 AM
There are batteries available for CPAP machines, you will just have to check with various medical suppliers to see who makes one that will work with your machine.

Woodenfish
02-15-2023, 01:58 AM
I don’t know the specs of your CPAP electrical power needs which would help tremendously. There are quite a few portable rechargeable power stations available that can handle CPAP machines that can be recharged with a wall outlet, a 12 Volt automotive system or solar power. Take a look at www.jackery.com and see if these will be sufficient for your power needs. I don’t think a portable battery jump starter would supply you enough continuous power for a night of CPAP use. Jump starting your Spyder is another affair.

2dogs
02-15-2023, 01:58 AM
Use the spyder battery to power the cpap and a power pack to start your spyder. You can recharge them both during the day as you ride. The 1330 has an alternator like a car. Try it out first and see if it works. A small jump pack is always a good thing to have. Got mine at harbor freight and I've used it to start cars. DON'T get a generator. nobody likes to listen to a generator all night long.

K80Shooter
02-15-2023, 07:33 AM
Use the spyder battery to power the cpap and a power pack to start your spyder. You can recharge them both during the day as you ride. The 1330 has an alternator like a car. Try it out first and see if it works. A small jump pack is always a good thing to have. Got mine at harbor freight and I've used it to start cars. DON'T get a generator. nobody likes to listen to a generator all night long.

Sorry but I disagree, an alternator is made to keep your battery at a full charge not to constantly charge a drained battery. If you continually run the battery down and use the alternator to charge it back up, sooner or later you'll ruin your alternator.

tntnj
02-15-2023, 08:27 AM
And every time you get the bike battery below 50% you lessen the life of you battery.

Lew L
02-15-2023, 10:07 AM
Dave,
Check out http://www.inspiresleep.com

FrogmanDave
02-15-2023, 11:58 AM
I think the issue is the CPAP machine .... I don't think any " jump start " device is going to provide 6 + hrs. of power. I suggest contacting a medical equipment provider and ask them for advice on how to run your CPAP machine using a battery ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

:agree:

Bfromla
02-15-2023, 12:48 PM
Solar rechargeable & lasting OFF grid sources ; camp or emergency https://gosun.co/products/power-1100

TCBoone
02-15-2023, 02:56 PM

Haze, have you checked out Bluetti and EcoFlow. We have several of these from both suppliers and find them to be useful. Even the smaller units have specs indicating they should have enough power to support a CPAP. Make sure when purchasing this kind of battery to look at the specific chemistry, want to make sure its a Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery. LFP batteries have a long life cycle with good thermal stability and electrochemical performance.

As for jumping the Spyder battery you will need a unit designed for the function.

Good luck,
TC

Haze
02-16-2023, 03:31 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I need two battery devices to meet the needs of the CPAP and Jump starts.
Thankfully neither issues is an emergency.
Cheers, David C.

2dogs
02-16-2023, 04:32 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I need two battery devices to meet the needs of the CPAP and Jump starts.
Thankfully neither issues is an emergency.
Cheers, David C.

Check out the subject on FB. There are some (many) very good suggestions (information) there.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-16-2023, 09:31 PM
1A? Is that at 120 volts? If so that translates to about 10 amps at 12 volts so for 8 hours you need a 100 amp hour capacity battery. My CPAP is 90 watts and it runs down a fresh deep cycle marine battery in three nights. Keep in mind cranking amps capacity of a battery does not directly translate to amp hour capacity.

Haze
02-16-2023, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the calculation. I use a ResMed CPAP without humidifier. The battery adapter up converts the battery voltage to 24V. It runs OK on a 12V Gel Cell battery. The battery is just large and heavy.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-16-2023, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the calculation. I use a ResMed CPAP without humidifier. The battery adapter up converts the battery voltage to 24V. It runs OK on a 12V Gel Cell battery. The battery is just large and heavy.

Mine is a Resmed also. The Phillips Respironics uses about 1/2 the power of Resmed and is 12 volt, not 24. You might be able to find one for only a few hundred bucks. Do a search for travel cpap. Either one of these will let you get by with less battery capacity. Medicare and insurance won't buy you one though unless you're eligible for a replacement.

I don't know about a jump start battery or a CPAP specific battery, but an issue with a deep cycle battery is it will not accept a high recharge current so they're slow to recharge. I've recharged mine with solar panels during the day while camping.

Traveling or camping with a CPAP, other than in hotels/motels, can be problematic as you are finding out!

UtahPete
02-17-2023, 12:40 AM
This is what I use for a travel cpap. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airmini-auto-travel-cpap-machine

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-17-2023, 02:05 AM
This is what I use for a travel cpap. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airmini-auto-travel-cpap-machine

I saw that on their website but didn't check it out. The price stopped me in my tracks. It is a sweet looking machine though. If I did a lot of camping or air or train travel I'd consider it, but since I can easily carry my AS10 on the Spyder, and spend most nights with power available I don't feel much of an urge to buy one!

UtahPete
02-17-2023, 09:56 AM
I saw that on their website but didn't check it out. The price stopped me in my tracks. It is a sweet looking machine though. If I did a lot of camping or air or train travel I'd consider it, but since I can easily carry my AS10 on the Spyder, and spend most nights with power available I don't feel much of an urge to buy one!

My VA-supplied Phillips Respironics died a year ago after getting rained on while camping. Normally VA would have replaced it but they have no inventory because of the recall, so I bought this little gem myself. It's ideal for travel and to hold me over until the recall replacement is available, supposedly last fall. But with no delivery date in sight I bought another, larger Resmed cpap to use at home.