PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for Spyder hauling Trailer rentals?

cjr00
02-04-2023, 07:03 PM
My brother is thinking about towing his RT from Wyoming to North Carolina this spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for trailer rentals? Thanks

campermac
02-04-2023, 08:08 PM
Uhaul

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-04-2023, 08:43 PM
Uhaul

:agree: ............... But finding one may be very difficult ..... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bfromla
02-04-2023, 08:49 PM
:agree: ............... But finding one may be very difficult ..... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...... Mike :thumbup::agree: not only that but that the ramp is long enough to not high center on :lecturef_smilie::sour: some additional boards may be required as loading ramps. **Additionally, if it is an open trailer, do not put a cover on the bike - nojoke - wind flutter on the cover will scuff the paint on bike!**

BCNewell
02-05-2023, 12:56 PM
A UHaul 6’x12’ enclosed will work - but ONLY if it’s the swing-open door (NOT the roll-up door). Will have to take/get ramps to load it. My wife hauled hers over 550 miles like that. No problems.

2dogs
02-05-2023, 01:26 PM
Finding a trailer, open or enclosed, is the easy part. Tying it down so it's secure without damaging anything is another adventure.

Steve W.
02-06-2023, 08:13 AM
Uhaul

... make sure the " tailgate " is wider than the Spyder, some here have rented them only to discover ( upon arrival to pick-up ) the renter used the wrong measurement ...

... some additional boards may [WILL] be required as loading ramps.

Finding a trailer, open or enclosed, is the easy part. Tying it down so it's secure without damaging anything is another adventure.
When we got my wife's Spyder a few years ago, I was not sure I wanted to hop on it and ride it 300 miles home as a "get acquainted" trip, so I looked for trailers. The best one I found was a U-Haul 6x12 open trailer. I found that trailer comes in two varieties: one has a modest ramp (which is nowhere near long enough to load a Syder), the other has a flip-down tailgate that is only a few inches high. Checking details, I found that the trailer with the little flip-down tailgate has an opening that is just about the full 6 feet width of the trailer, but the one with the 'ramp' had gussets at the back that reduced the width of the opening to about 5', which is too narrow. Since I already have folding aluminum ramps, it was an easy choice. I just had to fabricate a third ramp for the rear wheel.

To secure the Spyder, I did a little more research. One diagram that I saw showed that the center of gravity (COG) is about where the vents are, just behind the front wheels. My plan was to end up with that just forward of the axle centerline of the trailer. Measuring the trailer and comparing it with measurements in brochures, I determined that a parking block about 3' from the front of the trailer would work. I cut a 2x4 to fit the width of the trailer. Even though it's a rented trailer, I refuse to deface it to screw that block to the floor, so I cut a couple more 2x4s that kept that board from sliding forward. The side boards were about 5' long, which placed them alongside the front tires, keeping them and the fenders from rubbing the sides of the trailer. Soft ties and ratchet straps from the front wheels to the front corners held the front in place. More soft ties and ratchet straps from the rear wheel to the rear corners held the rear. I could not detect ANY movement by the time we got home.

Back to the original post: is this a one-way trip, or is he taking it back? A one-way rental costs a LOT. A round trip will reduce the cost, but then there will be several days of non-use while he is in NC. Either way, it will likely be less than buying a trailer.

cjr00
02-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Awesome info. Thanks so much. Yes it will be a round trip rental, good to know about the pricing. Thanks again!

Little Blue
02-07-2023, 01:25 AM
:coffee:...Be careful with the round-trip rate. Some
trailer rentals have a 'Daily Rate'.
This can be an expensive trailer rental.

How do I know? Been there and done that issue.

My Tip: Check out both ways. One way vs Two way.

Have yourself a great trip.