PDA

View Full Version : Any snowmobilers?

vtrider
10-30-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm just curious. This may be a question more for the snow belt people. Who does snowmobiling in the winter months once the spyder is put away until spring? Snowmobiling is the other motorsport that I enjoy. I do most of my riding in northern Vermont. At present I have my 2007 MXZ 600 Blizzard for sale, but plan to get another sled if I do sell it. I think a Skidoo 1200 4 stroke is in my future. I test drove a 1200 TNT last winter and really liked it.

dabreitbach
10-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Me. I have an 05 machz. I got the spyder to give me something to do in the off season.:2thumbs:

WizardMaster
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
I just got one for my Birthday/Christmas present:clap: (Thank you MM:2thumbs:). 2002 Mach Z. Use to ride all the time with Magic Man years ago but then we were riding Yamaha's. Fortunely I have some land here to rip the girls around instead of the long travel to get to the trails. And now a days its tough to get away on the weekends with the girls in cheerleading.:dontknow:

jcbatt
10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
I ride in northern NH a few times a year. I've got an 05 MXZ 800 and and 05 MXZ 600. That is one of the things I love so much about the Spyder - it is the closest thing I have found to a sled that I can use the other 9 months of the year.

Smylinacha
10-30-2009, 04:42 PM
I am a snowmobile wanna be:thumbup: But in CT, we are not allowed to ride them anywhere unless you have a ton of money and tons of acreage of land. I know in NY and I'm sure in VT the state has trails for that. Not in CT. In CT we have bicycle trails, that's it. You can't even ride an ATV here on any trails. We are a gay state.

RoadHammer
10-30-2009, 05:29 PM
out here we ride back roads, lakes , fields, access roads. we have so called approved trails which require a trail permit, but i somehow never seem to find that trail permit place:D so i just ride on them anyways if i feel like it:D

Longlegs
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
I do all my sleddin in Wisconsin because we don't get enough snow here. I don't put my Spyder away either though. I just wear my snowmobile clothes and ride when there is no salt on the roads.

Spydr in KS
10-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Yep, still make it back to PA, NY or Canada once a year to link up with my dad for some snowmobiling

Spydr in KS
10-30-2009, 10:37 PM
That is one of the things I love so much about the Spyder - it is the closest thing I have found to a sled that I can use the other 9 months of the year.

:thumbup: Yep, not much snow here is Kansas!!

bjt
10-31-2009, 09:27 AM
... We are a gay state.

Oookkkkaaaayyyyyyyy....... :dontknow: I'm sure you intended that to come out differently than I'm reading it. :D

vtrider
10-31-2009, 01:21 PM
I am a snowmobile wanna be:thumbup: But in CT, we are not allowed to ride them anywhere unless you have a ton of money and tons of acreage of land. I know in NY and I'm sure in VT the state has trails for that. Not in CT. In CT we have bicycle trails, that's it. You can't even ride an ATV here on any trails. We are a gay state.

The state of Vermont has about 5000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails. It is all maintained by volunteers and clubs with the Vermont Association Of Snow Travelers VAST. You do however need a registered sled with a trail permit to use the trail system. I find it's not a bad deal. At present I register and get trail passes for three snowmobiles, mine and my two teen kids. They will support there own costs of riding in a few years though I hope! The cost of all three averages just about $70 per month over the year when adding in the insurance (required in VT) the registration and trail passes. My overall cost per season of riding including gas, food, eating at restaurants, trailering to trail destinations and an occational over night at motels runs me about $3000 for the season. Not cheap, but It's three to four months of time well spent in the winter wonderland. It really is a lot of fun! Snowmobiling has given me some good memories with my two kids over the years.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/MeandMegan2007.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Danvilleride182-26-09.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/2006_1228Image0052.jpg

Smylinacha
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
If I lived where you are, YOU BET I'd have a sled! Thx for those pictures - SO PRETTY! And I don't think it's a bad deal at all w/ what you pay - you get to ride ALL YEAR - on the sled and then on the Spyder! As Roaddog says, IT'S A NO BRAINER! :2thumbs:

The state of Vermont has about 5000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails. It is all maintained by volunteers and clubs with the Vermont Association Of Snow Travelers VAST. You do however need a registered sled with a trail permit to use the trail system. I find it's not a bad deal. At present I register and get trail passes for three snowmobiles, mine and my two teen kids. They will support there own costs of riding in a few years though I hope! The cost of all three averages just about $70 per month over the year when adding in the insurance (required in VT) the registration and trail passes. My overall cost per season of riding including gas, food, eating at restaurants, trailering to trail destinations and an occational over night at motels runs me about $3000 for the season. Not cheap, but It's three to four months of time well spent in the winter wonderland. It really is a lot of fun! Snowmobiling has given me some good memories with my two kids over the years.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/MeandMegan2007.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/Danvilleride182-26-09.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/2006_1228Image0052.jpg

Roaddog2
10-31-2009, 05:50 PM
We should go up around Stowe this winter and rent some for a weekend that would be a no brainer and maybe we could hook up I'm sure you know the trails :thumbup:

Roaddog2
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
What did I spell no brainer wrong or something :dontknow:

rnet
11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Have ridden in the St. Johnsbury area the past couple of years and stayed at the Comfort Inn. Was not going to get a permit this year because of the expense, and I only use it once, however if Vtrider would like to set something up for us, say presidents weekend, I'm game. I'm president of a local club in N.Y. and this is the weekend we typically come up, but as a club not this year. Let us know soon before the permits go up (Dec.15) Maybe I can get to meet the Conn. bunch