PDA

View Full Version : What is a good way of Talking To my Passenger - helmets or add-ons?

DaniBoy
01-26-2023, 10:40 AM
So it would be nice if my wife and I could talk back and forth. We’re not group riders. We just like to cruise through country roads. What would be a good way for us to be able to talk back and forth? Do we need helmets dedicated to the task? Or is there a good add-on that I could get for us? I don’t want a PTT button. I just want that one of us can talk and the other one hears it and can respond.

Wmoater
01-26-2023, 10:46 AM
Sena is simple. Pair both and talk away with any helmet made weather it be theirs or another manufacture. Clip in the microphone and speakers and its set. Easy peezy! Not sure about the new 50’s but old 10,20 30 was intercom setting. Once paired click the button and never touch again just talk between the 2 of you. Hint Hint….If she gets off the restroom or you do at a gas station and walks into the restroom with the helmet on…….Turn the communication off:yikes: Yes you hear everything! You can also do it from bike to back. If she rides seperate.

Little Blue
01-26-2023, 10:57 AM
:coffee:...I have Sena 50s that I purchased from Motorcycle Dave's. Dave is a vendor on this Forum. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. His cell phone number is below

209-887-3282.
California is where Dave lives.
Remember the time difference between EST to PST is 3 hours.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:

Jesster72
01-26-2023, 10:59 AM
What Wmoater said. Sena is good, we had them previously. Now we are using Cardo, still on the fence about them, but they work good. Both have intercom, bluetooth, and bike to bike capability.

Lew L
01-26-2023, 11:08 AM

We have an old Sena SMH 5 and it works just fine after all these years. Wore out a set of batteries, road in the rain. But they were easily replaceable. Still work perfectly.

Lew L

RayBJ
01-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Sena makes decent intercoms - several models to choose. One caution, they are not waterproof, only resistant. Riding in heavy rain kills the Sena 20s & 50s. Proven by a few of my riding crew. If that may be a situation you will encounter, look into the Cardo units that have been bulletproof in the rain.

Wmoater
01-26-2023, 11:17 AM
UCLEAR is another option. They are water proof also. We have kicked the crap out of ours over the years even submerged in mud and water and they just keep going. My opinion is UCLEAR has a better speaker system and much better sounding if listening to music but Sena is much more clear system for voices with intercom.

jnt
01-26-2023, 11:23 AM
There are a lot of BlueTooth-enabled units around. We have Schuberth helmets (not cheap, unfortunately, but fit us well) that have worked very well for us. The electronics are in a collar that attaches to the helmets that are USB-charged (a charge usually lasts all day for us). We got to Schuberth from our BMW days - they make the BMW System helmets. MotorcycleDave on this site can help with what you need if not Schuberth. With the addition of a bluetooth 'dongle' they also connect to the sound system on the Spyder.

Happy shopping!

EdMat
01-26-2023, 11:47 AM
:coffee:...I have Sena 50s that I purchased from Motorcycle Dave's. Dave is a vendor on this Forum. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. His cell phone number is below

209-887-3282.
California is where Dave lives.
Remember the time difference between EST to PST is 3 hours.

Stay Healthy. ....:thumbup:
:agree: Check with Dave. Great to talk to. You don't need the latest and greatest and most expensive for what you want to accomplish.

ARtraveler
01-26-2023, 01:18 PM
Sena is a problem solver. Enables talk for person to person or bike to bike. Do make sure that whatever brand you use, get wireless ones. Wired together is not the way to go. :yes:

Motorcycledave
01-26-2023, 01:28 PM
So it would be nice if my wife and I could talk back and forth. We’re not group riders. We just like to cruise through country roads. What would be a good way for us to be able to talk back and forth? Do we need helmets dedicated to the task? Or is there a good add-on that I could get for us? I don’t want a PTT button. I just want that one of us can talk and the other one hears it and can respond.

Hi Dave here,
Your friendly neighborhood SPYDER LOVERS DISCOUNT PRICE SENA DEALER... ( I also handle the CARDO) brand.
Give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00AM to 8:00PM Daily Pacific time.
We can talk about your needs and wants and get you the best unit for you and your wife.

Deanna777
01-26-2023, 01:59 PM
I have/use Sena 10S. It works OK. But every so often the pins on the back of the unit don't fully connect.

I use UClear Motion 6 Bluetooth helmet head audio system on my sled helmet, which I like alot, when I am riding with my significant other and one of us gets out of range from the other, "it says headset disconnected" and when the other person gets with in range the voice in the helmet says" headset connected. Also, it has new gesture controlled commends, and will allow full control of the system without the press of a button. Thick gloves? No problem! Up to 6 riders can be connected using the Motion 6's full duplex DynaMesh intercom. No matter the sport,the weatherproof Motion 6 will enhance your rides while delivering crystal clear communications and powerful music on any trail in any weather.

Deanna

gkamer
01-26-2023, 02:01 PM

I’ll have to throw my hat into the ring for the Sena. I have the Sena SMH5. It’s a bit older model, but it’s served me well over the years. It’s always been rock solid except when I forget to charge it after coming back from a ride, but that’s my fault. When fully charged it will easily last me at least 8 hours. I purchased my Sena from a Cycle Gear shop here in town and they installed it in my helmet at no charge. I don't know if all shops do that, but mine did.

mandytuning
01-26-2023, 02:05 PM
Cardo edge, we spend 13 hours long drive that i almost past away,music on all time, when arrived home still over 25% battery.

Woodenfish
01-26-2023, 02:17 PM
I never had any issue talking with a passenger and not having comms. Then again, I’m not the kind to be unnecessarily and constantly jabbering about things while driving any kind of vehicle. Traffic and changes in road surface are my main riding concern, not making small talk. I would suggest you give your voices a try before making this investment unless your riding partner is on a different motorcycle or maybe your the type that just likes gear?

Pirate
01-26-2023, 03:07 PM
Cardo is hands down better than Sena. The reason Sena users choose Sena is because their riding buddies use it. Cardo Freecom 2+ is what you are looking for.

YIRYDE
01-26-2023, 05:37 PM
Cardo is hands down better than Sena. The reason Sena users choose Sena is because their riding buddies use it. Cardo Freecom 2+ is what you are looking for.

+1 for Cardo Freecom 2 for you and your passenger. I went from the Sena 20S to the Cardo Paktalk Black and don't miss the Sena at all.

Brad0414
01-26-2023, 06:03 PM
UCLEAR is another option. They are water proof also. We have kicked the crap out of ours over the years even submerged in mud and water and they just keep going. My opinion is UCLEAR has a better speaker system and much better sounding if listening to music but Sena is much more clear system for voices with intercom.

same hear love uclear

01-26-2023, 06:15 PM
Sister in-law’s boy friend swears the wired system is the best.O wait he rides a Harley hmmmm. (Sorry Harley fans)

Flamewinger
01-26-2023, 07:30 PM
I’ve used Sena, Uclear and Cardo and Cardo has way better sound and wind canceling compared to Sena. Uclear has better sound and the mikes go up in the forehead padding so there is not problem with winds.

Any dual set of headsets will come paired to each other and all you’ll need to do is install them in the helmets. Make sure the speakers are just under the padding and not buried deep as that muffles the sounds.

OzArkspydermike
01-26-2023, 08:49 PM
Sena user here. Have been riding 2 up for many years and having the Sena's on our helmets make the whole 2 up experience much more enjoyable. We initially tried a "wired" system and it was a pain. The Sena's are user friendly and can easily last all day on a single charge. Our first set lasted several years and we upgraded last year. I use the 10C with built-in camera and the wife uses the 10S. Works great for us.

hut1
01-26-2023, 09:23 PM
Can't speak for the other systems, but Sena works great for my wife and me, and when my daughter rides with us on her bike.

larryd
01-27-2023, 12:55 AM
I originally had Cardo's, changed to Sena's because of forum recommendations...Wish I'd stayed with the Cardo's...Thing I don't like about the Sena's is the delay when standing and talking when at a fuel stop...You can hear your passenger talking face to face before it comes thru the radios...So you hear double everything when talking face to face...larryd

Little Blue
01-27-2023, 04:02 AM
Just wanted to give my thoughts on the Sena 50. I have enjoyed the proformance of the Sena's. I don't like ryding in the rain, so no worries about that. As for delay issues at the gas stop never experienced any problems.
Some people can have a problem with any kind of equipment.
So far we have had excellent service with our Sena's.

Wireless is the only way to go. More freedom and no worries about the wires.
Oh yeah, Remember to charge the Sena's battery.

Everything looks good. .....:thumbup:

Rednaxs60
01-27-2023, 09:39 AM
I vote for Sena; however, any bluetooth unit(s) will work for you, even the less than $100.00 units. The benefit with Sena is that a lot of riders use them and if you get with person or persons with the Sena unit(s) you can hook into them as well. The SHM10R is a low profile unit and works well. Have the Shoei helmets with the integrated Sena units. Drawback - battery fails, can't replace. Would have stayed with the SMH10R units had I known.

Peacekeeper6
01-29-2023, 12:43 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Cardo.

We have the Freecom 4+, and after watching countless YouTube vids on various intercom systems, I feel this was the best at the time of purchase about 2 years ago.

Check out my review of it. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?129103-Peacekeeper6-Mod-Thread&p=1523494&viewfull=1#post1523494