PDA

View Full Version : Did you consider a Piaggio MP3 before getting a Spyder?

vito1943
01-25-2023, 11:36 AM
I must admit I know very little about the Piaggio MP3, but just looking at it online made me think that it would be worth trying one out. As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.

Navydad
01-25-2023, 12:48 PM
The only one who can answer that question is you. Go check one out and make a choice. I had one for a short time. A very short time. It was top heavy, handled like crap, and didn't do anything particularly well. I was much happier with my T-Max scooter. I'll take my Spyder RT over the MP3 any day.

ARtraveler
01-25-2023, 02:33 PM
Piaggio used to be mentioned a lot on this site. Not so much these days. Not as satisfying a ride as the Spyder offerings seemed to be the general consensus.

In this case, going to the search engine and typing in piaggio will give you a variety of what you are looking for. The first mention of Piaggio MP3 was January of 2021.

Bfromla
01-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Just seeing online (only )thought it more a scooter(interesting), having seen Spyder at couple rallies definitely inspired more happy thoughts & motivation. & then course the demo unit discount came across, after injuries & other delays.

Woodswoman
01-25-2023, 06:14 PM
If this is a deal-breaker for you, be aware that you CAN drop a Piaggio MP3. I watched it happen to my friend's MP3 when she tossed someone the keys to take it for a ride.

Also it doesn't have a reverse gear or reverse motor.

gkamer
01-25-2023, 07:18 PM
I'd only seen them in videos not in person, but that short front foot print made me think they would not be something I'd like. I'm perfectly with my RT.

oldguyinTX
01-25-2023, 08:05 PM
The three wheel version of Rosemary's baby.

Tourer
01-25-2023, 08:41 PM
There can be no comparison between these two vehicles. One is a scooter and the other is a trike motorcycle.

pegasus1300
01-26-2023, 12:02 AM
i thought about it a lot but I didn't think they were available in the US when I was ready to buy. I am very happy with my Spyder and have never looked back.

Saluda
01-26-2023, 06:06 AM
No. No.

Peter Aawen
01-26-2023, 06:35 AM
Piaggio Scooter... took one for a ride, didn't get around the block before I had a very strong suspicion it'd be a resounding NO, but had it for the day so put about 150 miles on it.... My first impressions were very much right!! :gaah:

Recently took a Yamaha Niken GT for a ride tho, still haven't really made up my mind about that one... cos if I swapped I'd hafta miss out on a lot of things the Spyder excels at (but not those 'apparently purposefully designed' flaws in the Spyder's tires & engineering execution! :banghead: ) So still thinking, but maybe there juuuust might possibly be a Niken GT addition to the fleet in my future, rather than a Spyder alternative?! :dontknow: Not a Piaggio tho! :yikes:

bikerbillone
01-26-2023, 07:10 AM
Anyone do a search for Piaggio dealers?

RayBJ
01-26-2023, 10:53 AM
I had an MP3-500 a few bikes back. It is not like a trike.
The MP3 is a tilting scooter. It leans like any 2-wheeler but can be locked upright when stopped (or going very slow. Think coming to stop). It handles exactly like any 2-wheeled machine but adds 50% more footprint up front. The 500 had no problem cruising at 90 mph all day. I did a 7 day trip to Tenn. and it was very solid in the mountain twisties. It amusing to watch people see you pull up the a stoplight without putting your feet down (takes practice to time the tilt-lock.)
Doing the Tail of the Dragon.

RayBJ
01-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Anyone do a search for Piaggio dealers?

Piaggio has horrible coverage in the USA. Only 1 dealer in NJ and most states have none. I used to go to New Haven, Ct for service due to poor rep of the NJ crew.

vito1943
01-26-2023, 05:17 PM
If this is a deal-breaker for you, be aware that you CAN drop a Piaggio MP3. I watched it happen to my friend's MP3 when she tossed someone the keys to take it for a ride.

Also it doesn't have a reverse gear or reverse motor.

The new ones have a reverse gear, cruise control, and rear facing radar to warn you of a vehicle rapidly approaching in adjacent lanes.

I am very happy with my 2021 RT, but there is a Piaggio dealer not too far from me and I might have tried the MP3 if I had even heard of this model when I decided to trade in my Goldwing. It does offer two distinct advantages over the Spyder. It leans, and while leaning is not the be all and end all of motorcycling, it is an enjoyable part of riding a two wheeler. And it is half the price. Right now I have my Spyder, and a Honda 149cc scooter for when I feel the need for a two wheel experience. But that scooter is not capable of highway riding, and I might well consider the MP3 as a replacement for the scooter if the stock market continues to recover.

FrogmanDave
01-26-2023, 05:52 PM
As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.

I owned one for a couple of years. They are fun to ride but offer none of the stability of a Spyder. They are exactly the same as a motorcycle except when parking. The complexity, extra weight, and expense to maintain are just not worth it to me.

Peacekeeper6
01-29-2023, 01:23 PM
I must admit I know very little about the Piaggio MP3, but just looking at it online made me think that it would be worth trying one out. As a 3 wheeler it looks like it offers stability similar to the Spyder, although the shorter separation of the two front wheels likely makes it not quite as stable. Its a lot lighter yet should still be able to handle highway speeds. And the cost is about half of what a new RT would be. I was wondering if anyone here looked at this unusual scooter before deciding to buy a Spyder, and what contributed to that decision.

IMHO, either get a 2-wheeler or a REAL honest-to-goodness trike.

This Piaggio seems to sit in the middle ........ which to me is a compromise. IOW, it doesn't do one particular thing really well.

Good luck !!

Motorcycledave
02-04-2023, 03:38 AM

No Never the Piaggio is more of a toy when compared to the CanAm Spyders ( that is all models)

ulflyer
02-04-2023, 09:04 AM

Give it a good test ride; I think you'll like it. They offer a bit more stability than 2 wheelers. Rode with a group of scooter riders (mostly 400 and 650 Burgmans) for several years and one of our best riders rode the MP3. All of these "scooters" easily handle interstate speeds.

Dochands
02-04-2023, 12:22 PM
They make an amazing and beautiful airplane. The trike is top heavy and is also not particularly reliable I have been told even short term. Truth be told there is not any thing on the market I have found better than any generation Spyder.

jnt
02-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Yes. Then I rode one. ☹️