PDA

View Full Version : Any reason for different plugs in BajaRon’s Wire And Plug Kit?

DaniBoy
01-21-2023, 01:38 PM
So I just took delivery of the plug and wire kit by BajaRon for my 2010 RS. The plugs are DCPR8xx instead of the DCPR9xx that the manual calls for. Is this a problem? It seems that I have read somewhere on here that the earlier 998’s preferred the colder plugs over the hotter ones. I’m scared to use the 8’s unless somebody can give me a good reason why I should veer from BRP’s recommendation. What are you guys’ thoughts?

Woodaddict
01-21-2023, 04:05 PM
That's from Baja. He knows his stuff. He might write something soon. Or call or email him. There's a reason minus 1 number

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-21-2023, 08:11 PM
That's from Baja. He knows his stuff. He might write something soon. Or call or email him. There's a reason minus 1 number

:agree: ...... However the Wrong heat range may have been mailed :dontknow: .... I would contact Ron and get it verified ..... JMHO ..... Mike :thumbup:

BajaRon
01-22-2023, 04:19 PM
So I just took delivery of the plug and wire kit by BajaRon for my 2010 RS. The plugs are DCPR8xx instead of the DCPR9xx that the manual calls for. Is this a problem? It seems that I have read somewhere on here that the earlier 998’s preferred the colder plugs over the hotter ones. I’m scared to use the 8’s unless somebody can give me a good reason why I should veer from BRP’s recommendation. What are you guys’ thoughts?

You are correct that the original 998 spec was for the 9's, which are a colder plug than the 8's. The 9's came from the original engine application in the Italian crotch rocket, Aprilia. Configured with 140 hp @ 10,000 RPM. A sport bike is usually run hard at high RPM and thus the need for a colder plug. While the 9's will work in the 998 V-Twin if ridden as designed. The reality is, most people don't ride them that hard and the 9's tend to foul. BRP went to recommending the hotter 8's in the later models as a better fit for the Spyder. We can send you 9's if you like. But the 8's are actually a better way to go. Be sure to use the thermal paste on the threads as recommended.

You can always call the shop for help. 423-609-7588 (8-5 ET, M-F)

PS:
I always have a reason, (some call it an excuse) for going outside the box. And I never mind someone asking. Shows you're paying attention! Which is a good thing!

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-22-2023, 08:51 PM
You are correct that the original 998 spec was for the 9's, which are a colder plug that the 8's. The 9's came from the original engine application in the Italian crotch rocket, Aprilia. Configured with 140 hp @ 10,000 RPM. A sport bike is usually run hard at high RPM and thus the need for a colder plug. While the 9's will work in the 998 V-Twin if ridden as designed. The reality is, most people don't ride them that hard and the 9's tend to foul. BRP went to recommending the hotter 8's in the later models as a better fit for the Spyder. We can send you 9's if you like. But the 8's are actually a better way to go. Be sure to use the thermal paste on the threads as recommended.

You can always call the shop for help. 423-609-7588 (8-5 ET, M-F)

:clap::clap::clap: ..... Mike :thumbup: