PDA

View Full Version : How do you get GPS directions to come over RTL Speakers?

campermac
12-21-2022, 07:57 PM
I installed a Zumo XT on my bike and followed all the input I could find on how and what to pair.
I have my phone paired to the GPS and no issues.
I have the GPS paired to a Bluetooth adapter in the glove box and I can play music that I downloaded onto the GPS, but I cannot get the GPS to play the turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers. If I am playing music the music comes over the speakers but when the GPS plays directions the only way I can hear it is thru the small speaker on the GPS. The same thing happens even when I am not playing music, the GPS directions only play thru the GPS speaker.

Dazed and confused and looking for some help not criticism.

Thanks

Flamewinger
12-21-2022, 09:53 PM
Try adjusting the volume when the GPS is giving directions. That’s how it work when using the phone as GPS.

MonPaul
12-21-2022, 10:04 PM
Try adjusting the volume when the GPS is giving directions. That’s how it work when using the phone as GPS.

Exactly! It can be a pain in the ass to catch it at just the right time, but it is nice to have 2 separate volumes.

campermac
12-21-2022, 10:55 PM
I did that by going into the settings and made the GPS volume the priority and lowered the others but the GPS directions do not come out of the bike speakers, only the small speaker on the back of the GPS.

UtahPete
12-22-2022, 12:29 AM
I don't know for sure, but logically there's no good reason for the GPS to play turn instructions over the external speakers that I can see.

SLICE
12-22-2022, 10:16 AM
I don't know for sure, but logically there's no good reason for the GPS to play turn instructions over the external speakers that I can see.

agree. i use googly maps on my iphone and mute the voice over, quick glances at the phone and i know the distance and direction.

Flamewinger
12-22-2022, 11:58 AM
Both visual and audio are what make using a GPS extremely helpful and to deny one or the other is asking to be distracted which can cause problems. Having to look away from the road, especially in traffic, can cause an accident. Seeing the map with highlighted route really helps understand the audio.

If you have it then use it the way it’s supposed to be used. I find the smartphone and the new dash are the easiest less complicated way.

campermac
12-22-2022, 08:34 PM
I am looking for it to come across the bikes speakers for when I am wearing my half helmet, otherwise when I have my 3/4 or full face helmet on I use my Sena device.

DanDanTMM
12-25-2022, 12:39 AM
You may want to read this thread that discusses what you are trying to accomplish.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?149410-How-do-I-play-Zumo-XT-voice-directions-through-Spyder-speakers

stebrock
12-25-2022, 09:28 PM
This is my set up:
Bluetooth gps to phone. Eliminate your separate bluetooth device.
Bluetooth phone to Spyder.
Now you can play music on your phone through the Spyder speakers or play music on your gps through the Spyder speakers via your phone. Using this method your gps directions will play through the Spyder speakers which you will be able to hear over your music.

pidjones
12-26-2022, 09:15 AM
I had the same problem - could get music to play through the adapter but not GPS turn instructions. Turns out the GPS instructions go over a different Bluetooth mode that my adapter didn't have. A new, different adapter ended up handling it. My Zumo 396 now shows paired in two different modes. Both needed to make it fully function. You might try re-pairing with your adapter to see if you can get both modes. (Shows both headset and music note icons next to the adapter in the Bluetooth setting page.)

JohnRuckus
12-26-2022, 09:22 AM
I didn't read through all of the posts. So, just a guess and shot in the dark, make sure that your audio option is set to the Spyder and not to the helmet. There is a speaker/helmet button on the bottom left instrument/media control section near the tank. Maybe for some reason the connection is being registered as it does with my Sena. You have an option to switch audio between the 2 outputs. If you have it set to helmet, it plays through your headset(or in this case, your GPS). If you have it set to the other speaker option, the audio is played through the Spyder's speakers.
A quick way to determine this is to look at the dash. With the media system(radio) turned on, you should see an icon in the top right corner near the volume section that displays a helmet(external speaker) or the speaker audio symbol(Spyder's speakers). If it is the helmet, just press the button I mention in the 1st paragraph 1x and it will/should switch to the Spyder's speakers.

Good luck

campermac
12-26-2022, 08:15 PM
JohnRukus
I did not realize that, I will check it tomorrow when I get home from work.

thanks

campermac
12-27-2022, 09:45 PM
JohnRuckus

Well I tried what you said to do and still no GPS turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers.
I did notice that on the GPS when paired to the Bluetooth device it shows connected and the music notes is what it appears to be connected to.

I think I need a new Bluetooth device, but do not know what I need to order.

campermac
12-27-2022, 10:34 PM
pidjones,

Can you tell me what device you ordered to make it work? Mine is only showing the music notes so it is not showing the headset

thanks

pidjones
12-28-2022, 12:07 PM
It was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P94Z9XR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just plugged phone plug and micro USB into it, wrapped it in packing tape, and shoved it down into the pocket.

FrogmanDave
12-28-2022, 01:44 PM
pidjones,

Can you tell me what device you ordered to make it work? Mine is only showing the music notes so it is not showing the headset

thanks

Mac, I'm curious as to why you need a separate BT device?

ThreeWheels
12-29-2022, 04:38 AM
I installed a Zumo XT on my bike and followed all the input I could find on how and what to pair.
I have the GPS paired to a Bluetooth adapter in the glove box and I can play music that I downloaded onto the GPS, but I cannot get the GPS to play the turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers. If I am playing music the music comes over the speakers but when the GPS plays directions the only way I can hear it is thru the small speaker on the GPS. The same thing happens even when I am not playing music, the GPS directions only play thru the GPS speaker.

Thanks

Sounds strange. Your bluetooth setup seems to work, or you wouldn't get the music. I had a similar issue with my 660.
Have you tried a soft restart of your GPS. I mean restart the software, not simply turning the power on and off.

If you wish to perform a soft reset on Garmin zūmo:

Press the power button for at least 8 seconds.
Release the power button once the device turns off
Press the power button again to restart the device.

campermac
12-29-2022, 04:49 PM
I want to be able to hear the GPS when I have my half helmet on and when I am not wearing a helmet.

WDAVEY
12-29-2022, 07:18 PM
JohnRuckus

Well I tried what you said to do and still no GPS turn by turn directions over the bikes speakers.
I did notice that on the GPS when paired to the Bluetooth device it shows connected and the music notes is what it appears to be connected to.

I think I need a new Bluetooth device, but do not know what I need to order.

Campermac - I bought the BT device that LaMonster sells. It came with very clear directions and now I can play Sirius XM from my phone through the stereo speakers. The Zumo XT will mute the music and give spoken directions when appropriate. Don't ask me how it works, but it does.

stebrock
01-03-2023, 07:47 PM

Thanks

Did you try my setup?

campermac
01-04-2023, 07:44 PM
stebrock,

I have not tried you set up yet, I have been out of town and no where near the bike. I did order the Bluetooth device from Lamonster, but I will try your set up first and if it works I will send the one back to Lamonster or just put it in my tool box.

Will let you know.

Snakeyes
01-05-2023, 11:55 AM
stebrock,

I have not tried you set up yet, I have been out of town and no where near the bike. I did order the Bluetooth device from Lamonster, but I will try your set up first and if it works I will send the one back to Lamonster or just put it in my tool box.

Will let you know.

I have been watching this thread because I am trying to accomplish the same thing (hear gps instructions over the bike's speakers). I tried stebrock's set up and this does not work. I have A Tom Tom rider. I think I'll order the Lamonster blue tooth device if it works for campermac.

Lamonster
01-05-2023, 12:24 PM
I have been watching this thread because I am trying to accomplish the same thing (hear gps instructions over the bike's speakers). I tried stebrock's set up and this does not work. I have A Tom Tom rider. I think I'll order the Lamonster blue tooth device if it works for campermac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ps0Wl-i_dM

campermac
01-05-2023, 10:08 PM
Thanks Lamont.
I am waiting on the item that I ordered from your website to show up this weekend then hopefully all my issues go away.

campermac
01-10-2023, 07:47 PM
It works It works.
I finally got it to do what I wanted.
I ordered the Bluetooth adapter from Lamonster, paired it to my GPS, set the bike to the Aux selection on the bike and now I can hear Nancy Never Lost on my bikes speakers.
I guess there is a difference in Bluetooth adapters so using the one I had sitting around from one of my previous Spyder's apparently was the wrong kind.

JohnRuckus
01-10-2023, 08:02 PM
Congrats.

campermac
01-10-2023, 10:35 PM
I would have never thought as a 60 year old man such a simple little thing would make me so happy and give me such satisfaction. I guess my standards have lowered them selves with age.

Peteoz
01-11-2023, 03:07 PM
I would have never thought as a 60 year old man such a simple little thing would make me so happy and give me such satisfaction. I guess my standards have lowered them selves with age.

Hahaha…….a success with constantly changing technology, especially with BT connection vagaries, is ALWAYS a reason for celebration, Campermac. Congrats:2thumbs:

Pete

Lamonster
01-11-2023, 04:58 PM
It works It works.
I finally got it to do what I wanted.
I ordered the Bluetooth adapter from Lamonster, paired it to my GPS, set the bike to the Aux selection on the bike and now I can hear Nancy Never Lost on my bikes speakers.
I guess there is a difference in Bluetooth adapters so using the one I had sitting around from one of my previous Spyder's apparently was the wrong kind.

Glad you got it going. Bluetooth can be tricky.

cruisinTX
01-11-2023, 07:25 PM
I would do it by taping my old school GPS over the top of the speakers. ;)

stebrock
01-11-2023, 08:19 PM

It works with Garmin.

campermac
01-11-2023, 08:55 PM
It should work with any GPS that you can pair to the Bluetooth device from Lamonster.