PDA

View Full Version : Other than better luggage design are the 2020s that much better than a 2014?

cruisinTX
12-19-2022, 10:22 PM
I've been considering upgrading from our 2014 RT-Limited to a 2020+ mainly because of the completely idiotic design of the top case on the 2014 to when-ever BRP decided to incorporate a sensible luggage system with a much more user-friendly design of the top case That itty-bitty oddly shaped POS on the 2014 has to be one of the stupidest designs I've ever seen. That rant aside :shocked: tell me the pros & cons of upgrading (or not) to a 2020 or newer RT. I'm getting ready to sell off most of the stable to cut down on my time spent on maintenance. Will likely end up with one antique, my blue cruiser and a Spyder. I'm pretty sure I can collect enough off of four bikes and the 2014 RT-L to make a pretty decent cash deal on a much newer Spyder, but are they worth it? :dontknow:

JohnRuckus
12-19-2022, 10:45 PM
There have been a few comments about it here. Most believe it's just a more refined machine with a new look. The digital console with BRP connect has a bit of contention with ryders.
I have the base RT. It's a lovely ride. The top case, frunk, and saddle bags provide plenty of storage(I believe 48 total gallons worth).
You can go with a base model and get an after market top case such a shad or givi, you can get the OEM top case(rather expensive, but it does add an additional tail and brake light).
You can go with the RTL which includes the top case. Heated rider and passenger seats and grips, the signature lights, automatic air "suspension", and I believe the frunk is lined with some sort of material. The Sea to Sky has everything the RTL has + it has an exclusive color. '21 a beautiful green and '22 some hard to describe mystery blue colors. They also come with exclusive wheels, a different(upgraded) seat, some stitching and additional logos S2S(sea to sky) logos. The storage includes luggage as well. I believe the '22s came with a ryder backrest as well, but has since possibly removed that addition. From most of the reviews I've seen here the difference in ride comfort, handling, performance is improved exponentially over the older models. I also believe, and could be wrong about this, but I think the floorboard is bigger. The wind shield is adjustable. The headlights, aux, and signature lights are all LED. So, long answer short, there are a lot of changes in the 20+. However, if you're just trying to move up for additional storage, you can go with the base RT and add either the aftermarket or OEM top case to save some $.
I can't say if its worth it. That's subjective. I will say that I'm satisfied with my purchase. If I had to do it all over again, I'd choose 1 of the 20+ RT trims.

Someone asked a similar question to yours the other day in the thread below:
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?152111-What-year-Spyder-RT-Ltd-should-I-be-looking-at-We-want-a-1330

Pooch
12-19-2022, 11:18 PM
Quit messing around… go to the dealer… look at a 2020+ RT or RTL.. sit on it.. ride it if they will let you.
Just get ready to buy it cause you will really like it.
Just beware… the dealer will have either spec air in the tires or more.. but I can tell you that makes for a squirrely handling ride.
That wormhole of a rear trunk is what kept me from buying a Spyder RTL until the 2020’s came out.. plus loved that sleek body design.
Then I waited a year to see if there were bugs they had to work out.
Finally clinched my teeth and sold my beloved Gold Wing trike and bought the 2021 RTL. I am very happy with it so far.
When you finally buy it cruise on down here to the Hill Country and ride this neat area.
Most weekend riders that come only take the main highways but I can tell you there are MANY good paved backroads that are made for take-your-time cruising if that might be your style…. let us know when you get it!

ThreeWheels
12-19-2022, 11:25 PM
Yes, it's worth the upgrade.
The rider/passenger seats are larger and more comfortable. Both seats are now heated.
The rider seat is separate, so you don't have to toss your passenger off when you buy gas.
The top case is worlds better. The side bags and frunk are essentially the same as previous models.
The handling has improved to the point where a RonBar upgrade is very nice to have but not essential.
Standard LED's lights are an excellent touch. Still, I'd recommend additional lighting for the fender and bag reflectors.
I'd also recommend adding the front facing turn signals on the mirrors. I don't know why BRP left them off.
The new handlebar design allows for many options providing more comfort.
BRP connect is OK, though I still use a stand-alone Garmin XT.
Maintenance is far easier. You don't have to remove the mirrors to change the oil.
It has a more elegant look, less aggressive than the previous models. My children always thought the previous Spyder was a Transformer.
And it will be a newer machine with less miles.
I don't know how you feel, but I was disappointed that manual transmissions are no longer available.
YOU CAN SEE THE TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS ON THE DASHBOARD.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure others can add to the list.

cruisinTX
12-20-2022, 07:10 AM
Quit messing around… .....< snip > ...... bought the 2021 RTL. I am very happy with it so far.
When you finally buy it cruise on down here to the Hill Country and ride this neat area.
Most weekend riders that come only take the main highways but I can tell you there are MANY good paved backroads that are made for take-your-time cruising if that might be your style…. let us know when you get it!

I really do need to get back down to the hill country again soon. I have ridden the Twisted Sisters (Three Sisters?) five times now since 2005. Three times on a BMW R1200C and twice on an R1100RT. I have yet to do it on my sport bike (R1100S) or the Spyder. There was a plan in place to get down there in the spring of 2020, then the whole COVID fiasco started and that got cancelled. I had plans to give it a go on the S again this past spring/summer but came down with shingles on May 30 followed by the post herpetic neuralgia which I am still battling, so this year has been a total bust--maybe next spring during the blue bonnet bloom. :2thumbs:

blacklightning
12-20-2022, 09:40 AM
In my opinion the 2020+ is much smoother on acceleration and the ride and handling is much better when it comes to being stock. I am just like you on the useless trunk space that is on the 2019 and previous RT models. My issue was more due to the fact that it could not be removed. I like being able to have a sportier ride when not carrying a passenger. Now, with that being said, I think my 2014 was more trouble free and better in quality and workmanship than my 2021. The fit and finish is just not as good on the newer models that i have seen. There are also the little things that BRP cheaped out on that really disappointed me. Simple things such as using different material bolts in some places that used to be stainless, they now rust. Even changing out the front fenders and removing the turn signals from the mirrors was a cost saving thing that BRP did that cheapens the looks to me. But overall, I am happy with my 2021 RTL. But it should be noted that I felt more secure with the 2014 after the warranty ran out than I ever will once the warranty runs out on the 2021.

SLICE
12-20-2022, 09:51 AM
i know this if you decide on a 2020 + buy it, i went home twice to think about it and both time they ended up being sold either that day or the next.
i had to settle for the ugly petrol blue ;)

USAF
12-20-2022, 10:12 AM
We had a 2012 RTS, Then I rode a friends 2022 RTL, it was light years better in every way. We got a 22 RTL now and we couldn't be happier. Once you ride a 20 and up model you wont go back IMO.

Knizar
12-20-2022, 10:44 AM
We had a 2012 RTS, Then I rode a friends 2022 RTL, it was light years better in every way. We got a 22 RTL now and we couldn't be happier. Once you ride a 20 and up model you wont go back IMO.

:agree: In 2020 I stopped with my 2012 RTS at a dealer to JUST test drive a 2020RTL. They had a blue 2020RTL demonstrator, took it out for a 20 minute ride. Dealer asked what I thought, "told him that it was great except for the terrible whining noise at about 40 mph". He said we have a red one in the show room, told him I was just there for a test drive. He said we'll gas that Marsala Red one up and you try that out and tell me if you can tell a difference between the two. It was PERFECT, no whine, just smooth and roomy. '12 to a '20 is like getting out of a compact into a full size, we ride 2 up almost all the time. Wife was along, oops, costly test ride,. SEE Below, almost 20K miles ago. :thumbup: Bill

JohnRuckus
12-20-2022, 03:11 PM
i know this if you decide on a 2020 + buy it, i went home twice to think about it and both time they ended up being sold either that day or the next.
i had to settle for the ugly petrol blue ;)

LOL Not the ugly color. :roflblack:
Did you want red? I did, but decided on Chalk. I could only find red with the chrome package when I was looking.

SLICE
12-20-2022, 05:57 PM
LOL Not the ugly color. :roflblack:
Did you want red? I did, but decided on Chalk. I could only find red with the chrome package when I was looking.

the times i looked it was oh the blue is awesome, but hot damn that red.
i was sold on the red, but hesitated both times, so i settled for the awesome
ugly petrol blue