PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Chinese motorycle?

vito1943
12-15-2022, 06:41 PM
China is America's primary adversary, and someday in the not too distant future might well be our enemy in an armed conflict. Every company operating within China is tied to the Chinese Communist Party, and therefore the Chinese government to a greater or lesser extent. I know that I cannot avoid buying products made in China unless I stop buying almost everything, but I certainly have choices when it comes to motorcycles and right now I cannot imagine buying a Chinese made motorcycle. In the past it was even an easier decision since what was coming out of China was pure ****. But this month's Rider magazine does a review of a few bikes made by CFMOTO, now with a U.S. headquarters in Minneapolis, a Chinese firm, and they give it a very positive review. This might just be the first of many Chinese companies vying for a share of the U.S. motorcycle market. It makes me think of my late uncle who fought in the Pacific in WWII, including the battle for Tarawa and for the remainder of his life would not buy any product made in Japan. But that war was over, and Japan was no longer an enemy of America the way China is today. Would you buy a new Spyder if BRP was bought by the Chinese and the bikes were made in China?

Navydad
12-15-2022, 06:58 PM
I haven't really looked at the Chinese offerings and probably wouldn't buy a Chinese bike per say, but ANY motorcycle you buy these days will have a healthy dose of Chinse sourced parts on it even Harley Davidson. A quick Google search of any brand and where it is manufactured is an eye opener.

Knizar
12-15-2022, 07:06 PM
Almost everything to do with transportation has some component manufactured from China in it. I am 70+ and have bought my last motorcycle being the present 2020RTL. It also may have some China parts, but its what I have and am not going to get worked up about it. :thumbup: Bill

JohnRuckus
12-15-2022, 07:21 PM
:hun:

Yes. I would. I buy what I like if I can afford it.
Your view is an interesting 1 and I'm sure there are plenty who have the same sentiments.
I'm curious though. What makes China an adversary in your opinion?
Capitalistic nations outsource many industries to other countries for the sake of cheap labor and profit.
Western countries have promoted citizens to kind of look down on manual labor, manufacturing, and skilled trade related industries/jobs.
So, if you're not a high earning corporate person, entertainer of some sort, or some other white collar employee, you're kind of looked at as mediocre or worse.
China as a nation becoming better at manufacturing and increasing overall market share across industries was pretty much inevitable once countries decided to "exploit" a situation.
As such, even some of the Made In_____ is only partially made in _____ because parts or sourced from all over. While you may not buy a Chinese motorcycle, it's becoming much harder to escape purchasing anything that doesn't have Chinese influence. Just my 2 cents.

I looked at some of the motorcycles from the company you mentioned and they look nice, but they're not Spyders :spyder: So, I won't be getting one. I did see some cheap knock-offs though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFF9OPSO5a8
I won't be getting one of these either :yikes::yikes::yikes::riding:

UtahPete
12-15-2022, 07:32 PM
Very good question. A year ago I would have said yes to buying Chinese. Now, for the reasons you mentioned, the answer is no to any major appliance, auto or electronics made in China. I don't care about minor, low-tech items like clothing and toys.

ARtraveler
12-15-2022, 07:48 PM
For me personally, I would not buy any big ticket items knowingly. We are all stuck with the "contains Chinese parts" etc. in most everything these days. Ask me in another year...maybe things will change. :bowdown:

BertRemington
12-15-2022, 07:55 PM
How convenient my Spyder dealer https://www.funbike.com/ also carries CFMOTO https://www.funbike.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory&make=cfmoto#page=xNewInventory&make=cfmoto No motorcycles yet but at those prices they'll be in stock when available.

FrogmanDave
12-15-2022, 07:55 PM
I would for sure. The Chinese are the best manufacturers in the world now. Most of my career was manufacturing engineering so I know a little about it. I don't care about the politics or military threats. The Chinese aren't stupid. There will never be an all out war between our countries.

SLICE
12-15-2022, 08:21 PM
a friend of mine bought a CFMOTO atv for his son, this kid beats the living snot out of it and it just keeps on running.
it's in the florida swamps/ sand/ mud open fields and it just keeps running.
i'd buy one if i was in the market for one and save myself a few thousand

Cobwebs
12-15-2022, 08:54 PM
The world is one big holding company run as a people farm. It's China's turn, their luck, by 2030 we're all supposed to ''own nothing and be happy'' (do a search) so short lived for them. With those facts in mind, who gives a rats ass where anything comes from, be happy it's still available.

canamjhb
12-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Times do change. When I was young, shortly after WW-2, the term 'Made in Japan' meant the item was considered sub-standard. Much like many Chinese products today. The future will bring.....?????

2dogs
12-15-2022, 10:12 PM
Would you buy a new Spyder if BRP was bought by the Chinese and the bikes were made in China?

Have you not looked closely at BRP parts? Just about every part of everything is made in China these days. I guess you haven't broken anything lately or been to Ace Hardware, Lowe's, or Napa Auto Parts.

Lew L
12-16-2022, 11:37 AM

no

gkamer
12-16-2022, 12:00 PM
Getting parts for a Spyder/Ryker sometimes takes long enough. Getting parts for a Chinese motorcycle would add a whole new meaning to the expression “Taking a slow boat from China”.

Plus I can’t believe there would be that many dealerships in a position to service Chinese motorcycles. So no, personally I would never consider purchasing a Chinese motorcycle.

Pirate
12-16-2022, 06:10 PM
If there were a ton of dealers supporting them with service and parts, maybe but until then, no.

slhanks004
12-16-2022, 06:53 PM
No I would not buy a Chinese-manufactured motorcycle. I have a feeling parts availability and finding authorized service would be a problem.

askitee
12-17-2022, 12:29 AM
Its not on my to-do list. Don't have much faith in anything they make

RLS Exhaust
12-17-2022, 12:51 AM
I would not I fuel the beast enough !

CloverHillCrawler
12-17-2022, 05:21 AM
No I would not buy a Chinese-manufactured motorcycle. I have a feeling parts availability and finding authorized service would be a problem.

Ding Ding Ding .. This answer right here. My son against my advice when he was a teenager went online and bought one of these. Main drive shaft was bent within the first month from his weight.

And of course the places stated by the manufacturer to get warranty work were no longer taking any warranty work because of 1) They were overwhelmed from the amount coming in for repair 2) The manufacturer stopped paying for the warranty repairs.

Saluda
12-17-2022, 10:47 AM
No. No.

ARtraveler
12-17-2022, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for an interesting discussion. At the moment...no problems or issues with the mod staff. :bowdown:

EdMat
12-17-2022, 12:51 PM
There are more CFMOTO dealers close to me than Can-Am dealers. The few folks that I have talked with that have their 4 wheelers seem OK with them. Not saying I would buy one, but I bet getting warranty work out of them would not be as hard as getting it out on my local stealer.

cravenfun
12-17-2022, 01:10 PM
Nope, and not even a free one.
Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like LG (lucky goldstar), Samsung (mfg. in china) and GE. GE appliances belong to Haier now which is China not German.
That said safety is not a concern in China, minimal construction to get it out the door. They just stamp bogus certifications on stuff and let it go. Stuff is built to make it out of initial warranty and then its disposable.
You don't see any Chinese built Buicks tooling around the US, they will not meet our safety standards.
If something fails at 75 MPH who is gonna be responsible? A shadow importer?

JohnRuckus
12-17-2022, 05:48 PM
Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like LG (lucky goldstar), Samsung (mfg. in china) and GE. GE appliances belong to Haier now which is China not German.
That said safety is not a concern in China, minimal construction to get it out the door. They just stamp bogus certifications on stuff and let it go. Stuff is built to make it out of initial warranty and then its disposable.
You don't see any Chinese built Buicks tooling around the US, they will not meet our safety standards.
If something fails at 75 MPH who is gonna be responsible? A shadow importer?

Buicks? I don't see any Buicks except on TV LOL :popcorn:

MONK
12-17-2022, 06:22 PM
Tons of experience in my previous life with Chinese built appliances like ...Samsung (mfg. in china)...

Samsung is built in South Korea.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-18-2022, 12:26 AM

Samsung is a Korean company, but has factories throughout Europe and East Asia. Many of its products, including washing machines, are made in China.

cravenfun
12-18-2022, 10:58 AM
Samsung is a Korean company, but has factories throughout Europe and East Asia. Many of its products, including washing machines, are made in China.

Bingo. Corp offices in Korea, plants in China. 46 yrs. as an on-site tech working on that junk since its inception BTW

CloverHillCrawler
12-18-2022, 05:17 PM

So is Visio now , it was US owned and had great products but once they were sold to S. K. they went downhill fast.

I bought a 60" lcd tv in 2013, the backlight burned out in 2016 and was considered irreparable at that time by the manufacturer.

Just do a search for Visio black screen of death on google. You will have plenty to read from.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-18-2022, 08:30 PM
I bought a 60" lcd tv in 2013, the backlight burned out in 2016 and was considered irreparable at that time by the manufacturer.
If the backlight is an integral part of the LCD screen as received from the screen supplier, I can see where that can be the case. The last I read somewhere ALL LCD screens are manufactured by two or three companies in Asia. The TV manufacturer may have little or no control over the quality of the screens they use.

GuruSMI
12-19-2022, 02:18 AM
If the backlight is an integral part of the LCD screen as received from the screen supplier, I can see where that can be the case. The last I read somewhere ALL LCD screens are manufactured by two or three companies in Asia. The TV manufacturer may have little or no control over the quality of the screens they use.

As TV-Screens are also LCD/LED Screens this statement is not that correct. two taiwanese firms holds 58% of the full UHD Market. after that the two brands LG and Samsung holds again 25%. Chinese Firms are following after this big four. Fyi: OLED is a technic invented by Eastman Kodak. Also inside switzerland and germany there are a couple of specialized Panel producers.

BTT: I would not buy a chinese bicycle as i don't want to own a copy. Asian firms are quite well known for copying products. They copy real good. But it is not and will never be the original. ;)

FrogmanDave
12-19-2022, 03:39 PM
Man has this thread gone off topic!

JohnRuckus
12-19-2022, 03:45 PM
Man has this thread gone off topic!

Yeah. Vito still hasn't responded to my questions. I think we all got trolled lol

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-19-2022, 04:08 PM
I don't think I would buy one. Based on my observations through the years native Chinese companies are very much "one and done" suppliers. Make a product for a year, or whatever, or bring out a specific model, or whatever, and manufacture it for a time. Then boom, when production is finished, the product is finished, never to see the light of day again. One way to make things cheap is make a bunch, sell them, and don't bother with followup parts, etc. I'd be afraid I'd end with a irreparable boat anchor if anything were to break or wear out since they wouldn't continue making parts.

At least with western world brands Chinese components are made to order so the manufacturer can order additional repair parts. They're not dependent on Chinese initiative to keep parts coming.

Yabbadabbadoo
12-19-2022, 05:40 PM
I agree with the above post. There doesn't seem to be a Chinese brand that I can think of that has a long standing presence with quality product and service and parts support after the sale. I would only buy if the company has been around with a good reputation for at least 10 years.

Peter Aawen
12-19-2022, 06:08 PM
I don't think I would buy one. Based on my observations through the years native Chinese companies are very much "one and done" suppliers. Make a product for a year, or whatever, or bring out a specific model, or whatever, and manufacture it for a time. Then boom, when production is finished, the product is finished, never to see the light of day again. One way to make things cheap is make a bunch, sell them, and don't bother with followup parts, etc. I'd be afraid I'd end with a irreparable boat anchor if anything were to break or wear out since they wouldn't continue making parts.

At least with western world brands Chinese components are made to order so the manufacturer can order additional repair parts. They're not dependent on Chinese initiative to keep parts coming.

I agree with the above post. There doesn't seem to be a Chinese brand that I can think of that has a long standing presence with quality product and service and parts support after the sale. I would only buy if the company has been around with a good reputation for at least 10 years.

Have any of you looked at CFMOTO lately?? Rather than being a 'one and done' supplier, I reckon they've been around Oz for pretty close to 10 years now... :dontknow:

And they do make/sell/support some surprisingly good products; when it comes to motorcycles, there's been a fleet of their Adventure bikes on the roads & tracks as rentals up North here for some years now & they're still working in some of the toughest country Oz has to offer, right across the Top End & Cape York! Their latest 800MT Touring seems to be giving the big name/big dollar Touring bikes a run for their money too! :shocked:

Dunno if this link'll work for you, but it's worth a shot:

https://www.cfmoto.com.au/model/800mt-touring-limited-edition

If you can get the site up, check out their News pages for info on the Adventure Bike Fleet in the Top End. :thumbup:

So at least from here, it seems that they CAN get it together to produce a pretty reasonable product when they want tto?!? :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-19-2022, 07:06 PM
One big difference I see between the US site and the Ozzie site is a parts link. Oz has it, US does not.

JohnRuckus
12-19-2022, 11:18 PM
LOL
I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about a Canadian company getting back into motorcycles by offering a 3 wheeler in a 2 wheeler dominated industry. Everyone starts somewhere. I remember when Kia and Hyundai hit North America. Nobody wanted to buy those things. They were practically giving them away. Then, they added the unheard of 10yr 100K warranty. Now, they're a leader in automobile brands in N. America.

pegasus1300
12-20-2022, 01:42 AM
You all have short memories. Remember late 50's early 60's. England ruled the motorcycle world, BSA was the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer. Then Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bridgestone, Kawasaki, Hodaka were out beating the bushes for anyone who would take them on. You could rent their little mopeds, step throughs, trail bikes etc. at garages, gas station and corner stores everywhere. You could buy them dirt cheap, they were cute, fun to ride and easy to operate. Then came the 125s, and then the 250s and 300s and 450s and then true large innovative big displacement road bikes and all of a sudden BSA, Norton, Harley were all in trouble. Trouble to the extent that England went away as a major player, or a player of any kind in the motorcycle world. But we bought them in droves. Harley almost went under, BMW was on the verge of bankruptcy Ducati and Moto Guzzi were close to disappearing. In the meantime, we were buying up those "Jap" bikes like there was no tomorrow. Oh parts were hard to get, so many models, all different parts and so far away, it was hard for anybody to keep anything in stock. Over the life of the Bridgestone 175cc it had 3 different sets of points and you had to bring your old ones with you to get the right ones, or the mechanic had to hope the dealer had the right ones in stock. Other manufactures weren't any better. But we bought them in droves, and still do. I see the same thing happening all over again with the Chinese. The quality will improve, the parts supply will improve, and they will become more in tune with what consumers in the countries their big markets are, want. Most of the members here are at the end of their motorcycle buying days. We took our big chance with the Can Am Spyder. It has paid off for most of us but a few got bit. The same will happen with the Chinese only they will be younger riders, if they can entice them into motorcycles the way we were.

PistonBlown
12-20-2022, 04:11 AM
My 'as soon as I retire' plan is to buy a Chinese motorbike in Shanghai, ride it to Lisbon Portugal, down to Gibraltar and finally up to Nordcapp in Norway.

Mind you I was hoping to retire at 25, currently the target is 55.

GuruSMI
12-20-2022, 07:01 AM
LOL
I wonder what everyone's thoughts were about a Canadian company getting back into motorcycles by offering a 3 wheeler in a 2 wheeler dominated industry. Everyone starts somewhere. I remember when Kia and Hyundai hit North America. Nobody wanted to buy those things. They were practically giving them away. Then, they added the unheard of 10yr 100K warranty. Now, they're a leader in automobile brands in N. America.

In germany a long time McDonalds was a cheap "restaurant" nobody wanted to be seen in. Nowadays a hell of a lot of people get over for a dinner. The people getting poorer and they cannot afford the better restaurants all the time. People drive korean cars because they are cheap and affordable. They also drive romanian cars like Dacia. Mostly money makes the show. That a car (or whatever) is driven more often than others doesn't mean that are better in quality than others. If it would be this way then there are much too less Roll's Royce etc on the road. The people drive Kia and Hundai whilst they dream at the same time of sitting in an Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money. ;)

wyliec
12-20-2022, 07:52 AM
Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money. ;)

I like it. I never real thought of it that way.

SportsterDoc
12-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Nothing against Chinese people.
Took my wife to Chinese for lunch, yesterday.
But, particularly as a Vietnam vet, do not want to support Chinese government.
No longer buy Metzler or Pirelli tires.

No issue with Taiwan.

No issue with South Korea. The Korean people, as a whole, have remained grateful for help in the fifties when China invaded.
My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe went 140,000+ miles in 8 years with only a TPS replacement and fuel level sensor replacement.

I had a friend who was a Pearl Harbor survivor and drove a Honda Accord, but the Japanese did not remain our enemies.

Motorcycledave
12-20-2022, 11:19 AM
Check out Bikes and Beards
https://bikesandbeardsgear.com/

wyliec
12-20-2022, 01:15 PM
I had a friend who was a Pearl Harbor survivor and drove a Honda Accord, but the Japanese did not remain our enemies.

That's not quite true in the strictest sense. But, I have to leave it at that. This thread was originally started with regards to motorcycles.

JohnRuckus
12-20-2022, 02:00 PM
In germany a long time McDonalds was a cheap "restaurant" nobody wanted to be seen in. Nowadays a hell of a lot of people get over for a dinner. The people getting poorer and they cannot afford the better restaurants all the time. People drive korean cars because they are cheap and affordable. They also drive romanian cars like Dacia. Mostly money makes the show. That a car (or whatever) is driven more often than others doesn't mean that are better in quality than others. If it would be this way then there are much too less Roll's Royce etc on the road. The people drive Kia and Hundai whilst they dream at the same time of sitting in an Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Here the standard worker has to answer the question why there is so much month at the end of the money. ;)

I agree and disagree. People tend to buy what they can afford. A lot of people buy or attempt to buy what they can't afford. However, most people riding motorcycles in Can/US don't buy them as their primary means transportation. It's considered a luxury item, a "toy", a recreation vehicle. In many other countries, specifically Asian countries(China, India, Japan, and everywhere in between), motorcycles are more common modes of primary transportation.
Additionally, in more cases than not, generally speaking, people are rarely content and even if they drive an Audi(which was "trash" back in the day), a BMW(considered by many to be overly engineered), Mercedes, Rolls Royce, etc, they still want more, bigger, newer, shinier, prettier, whatever-er you want to add.
My point in my post is that all companies have to start somewhere. It's hard to and darn near impossible to start at the top as the best. So, it takes time. Quality can be improved and it has been improved exponentially with Kia and Hyundai. Plenty of people drive Tesla EVs, but they aren't considered great quality when it comes to fit and finish.
I don't think the original post had anything to do with price. It was a question about would you buy a Chinese made motorcycle. My response is I buy what I like and can afford.
If someone gave a view of not buying a Chinese motorcycle based on facts as opposed to opinions and personal views, I would be able to say, "Ok. Good point". However, most responses have been personal preferences to which I say "interesting".

Quality isn't necessarily a given based on brand or cost. Folks say they won't buy a Chinese motorcycle, but they'd buy a Chinese made, American stamped iPhone...?
I'm just curious what motivates someone to say NO to China. Is it political, personal preference, stereotypes, lack of knowledge, brand loyalty, fear of getting a lemon, social stance, etc.? I find it hard to group every product made by every company in a country as being a bad product. There are just too many variables to consider. So, saying "never will/would" without context sounds a bit strong of a statement to me and can be very premature when so many products are dependent on Chinese labor, parts, and service.

JohnRuckus
12-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Check out Bikes and Beards
https://bikesandbeardsgear.com/

I check out his youtube videos often. Seems like a pleasant individual.

wyliec
12-20-2022, 02:15 PM
Quality isn't necessarily a given based on brand or cost. Folks say they won't buy a Chinese motorcycle, but they'd buy a Chinese made, American stamped iPhone...?
I'm just curious what motivates someone to say NO to China. Is it political, personal preference, stereotypes, lack of knowledge, brand loyalty, fear of getting a lemon, social stance, etc.? I find it hard to group every product made by every company in a country as being a bad product. There are just too many variables to consider. So, saying "never will/would" without context sounds a bit strong of a statement to me and can be very premature when so many products are dependent on Chinese labor, parts, and service.

Great post.

ARtraveler
12-20-2022, 02:48 PM
Never say never...

This is one statement that can come back and bite you. Been there and done that. :bowdown:

A re-direct is a good suggestion here. Slowly, but surely, the thread is turning political. Don't forget about site rule #2--No political posts.

A game warden once said: "trolling where you are not supposed to, can result in a fine or loss of license." :bowdown:

2dogs
12-20-2022, 04:40 PM
Built, bought traded, and rode 2 wheeled rides from all over the world for years. The only time I never had a ride was when I belonged to uncle sam, but I had one stashed at home. There isn't anything nowadays that can't be finished off being made unless it has china parts. Spooky now that most of our meds come from there. Bought a lot of bikes but only one Xmas tree from china. I drug it out last week and put it up and it's still going strong. Oh yeah, one light went out on it. Merry Xmas all.

GuruSMI
12-20-2022, 05:49 PM
I read all the time that arguments with cars and cell phones. Those examples fails. There are a few things to consider.

1. If european, american or asian cars. No one can choose to get certain parts. One cannot get to the dealer and charge them to use a european alternator instead of a chinese one. Not at a new car. But there is an underlying quality management of that producer securing that those parts are quual to that ones the maker pruduces hisself.

2. At a cell phone one has to take the whole package like the car at the upper example. So this example also don't count.

3. If i would have to choose between a european, american or chinese implant where my life belongs at i would definitly not choose a chinese one.

4. My simple wrist watch is not an asian one. It is european. In detail a swiss one. I checked a hell of watches about the stepcounter. I need that thing to see my ongoing therapy. No chinese one counted correctly.

5. Frequently the german car testers also take looks at chinese cars. Official crashtests show how insufficient those cars are, Chrash systems collapse at quite low speeds. Every car has to pass such tests to be allowed to gent onto the road. A european/american car passes them. Most chinese cars don't. There the bling bling of copying a BMW X7 ends and the safety starts.

The asian firms do one thing really great. Copying. But that it's. China doesn't care about copyright anyway. I.e. Brabus a well known mercedes tuner did let produce their wheels in china. They delivered the tools and also the wanted alloy to china and took back the tools after the production ended. After a shorter time they were confused about the amount of rims on the market. They found out that the chinese copied their tools and produce such wheels illegaly with cheap alloy. The rims did broke more often. I do not want to see my life depended on those parts. I worked a longer time for an american MedTech company. You won't believe what i have seen on exhibitions. That could fill books.

Cobwebs
12-20-2022, 07:55 PM
Fast forward a few years and add a few more models and countries to the lineup. It's not would it's when.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ce936211a6fc93a9JmltdHM9MTY3MTQ5NDQwMCZpZ3VpZD0w ZTIwYjhmZC0yNGRjLTZlZGMtMzE0MC1hYTg4MjUzNjZmZTMmaW 5zaWQ9NTIwMw&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=0e20b8fd-24dc-6edc-3140-aa8825366fe3&psq=chinese+harley&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlrZXNyZXB1YmxpYy5jb20vZmVhdH VyZWQvY2hpbmVzZS1tYWRlLWhhcmxleS1kYXZpZHNvbi14MzUw LWFuZC14NTAwLXNob3duLWluLW5ldy10eXBlLWFwcHJvdmFsLW RvY3VtZW50cy8&ntb=1

remus
12-21-2022, 10:31 AM
I haven't really looked at the Chinese offerings and probably wouldn't buy a Chinese bike per say, but ANY motorcycle you buy these days will have a healthy dose of Chinse sourced parts on it even Harley Davidson. A quick Google search of any brand and where it is manufactured is an eye opener.

yes they will have chinese parts on them but they have much better quality control than the all chinese bikes

remus
12-21-2022, 11:01 AM
There was a 3 wheel motorcycle made in china about 12 years ago called Icebear. The owners stated on their site that the bike needed to be maintained religiously at the required intervals otherwise you would have problems with the bike. warranty work had to be done by the owner from parts sent by the originating company. Even if you used the recommended interval it was recommended you keep certain spare parts on hand. Buy chinese no way if I can help it

GuruSMI
12-21-2022, 12:03 PM
...warranty work had to be done by the owner from parts sent by the originating company...

That sounds like in the 3D Printer Industry. If one has an Issue with the Printer they send spare parts and a link to a Video that shows how to repair it. I ordered a well defined 3D Printer via EBay. The deliverer did send me an other model of the same Marque. I complained. They gave me an 10% Discount on the selling price and pleased me not to send back. It's like you order a CanAm Spyder and get delivered a F3 or whatever.

BertRemington
12-21-2022, 05:15 PM
vito1943
Would you buy a new Spyder if BRP was bought by the Chinese and the bikes were made in China?

If the Chinese kept BRP's quality and I was buying a new Spyder, Yes I would without hesitation.

As I've said before, BRP's Spyder-series is a well-engineered, well-fabricated, well-priced blend of tailored off-the-shelf components (engine, electronics) and custom components (chassis, bodywork).

China's Geely rescued high-tech Volvo (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkiley5/2018/10/16/volvo-is-revitalized-in-u-s-by-chinese-ownership-but-faces-headwinds-from-trump-tariffs/?sh=2380fe1560bc) and the partnership has been a market success, reliability and otherwise.

vito1943
But this month's Rider magazine does a review of a few bikes made by CFMOTO, now with a U.S. headquarters in Minneapolis, a Chinese firm, and they give it a very positive review.

Seven years ago Rider found CFMoto to be affordable but well made (https://ridermagazine.com/2015/05/18/cfmoto-affordable-but-well-made/). Rider also cited CFMoto's relationship with well-respected KTM. Since then Rider consistently reviewed CFMoto's motorcycles positively.

vito1943
China is America's primary adversary

There is wisdom here and as much as I would like to continue the discussion this is not the correct forum.

==========

I just couldn't resist adding this Made in the USA picture of Latrippe's sprocket:
from his https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?152001-Sprocket-Recall-What-s-Wrong-With-BRP-s-Logistics&p=1656000&viewfull=1#post1656000 post.

01-16-2023, 11:48 AM
In a heartbeat, especially motorcycles. Loved my Honda’s and Yamaha’s. If I was looking for an ATV, CFMoto also would be at the top of my list.

Gwolf
01-16-2023, 12:09 PM
In a heartbeat, especially motorcycles. Loved my Honda’s and Yamaha’s. If I was looking for an ATV, CFMoto also would be at the top of my list.

Hondas and Yamahas are Japanese. The question was about buying a Chinese motorcycle.

There is a difference.

UtahPete
01-17-2023, 12:12 AM
Hondas and Yamahas are Japanese. The question was about buying a Chinese motorcycle.

There is a difference.

Right on. Personally, I would not buy anything Chinese at this point, if I had a choice. And, with powersports, there are plenty of choices.

BCNewell
01-17-2023, 12:31 AM
Have spent the last two days researching a 2020 SSR Motorsport (BSA) enduro/motorcross bike, the SR300S. Looks to be a VERY good copy of (mostly) Honda CRF parts, with a very common Chinese engine that is proving to be very reliable. Might be in my future ...

Motorcycledave
01-17-2023, 03:27 AM
You already are doing that along with your car, truck, stove, refrigerator, microwave oven,
computer, phone, tires, wheels, TV, and a thousand other things.....

Lew L
01-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Right on. Personally, I would not buy anything Chinese at this point, if I had a choice. And, with powersports, there are plenty of choices.

+1

01-17-2023, 02:45 PM

There is a difference.

Japan ,Chinese doesn’t matter most parts for everything comes from that part of the world anyway.

Gwolf
01-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Japan ,Chinese doesn’t matter most parts for everything comes from that part of the world anyway.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I lived in that part of the world for about 5 years. Owned and rode motorcycles there.

RideOn
01-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Ding Ding Ding .. This answer right here. My son against my advice when he was a teenager went online and bought one of these. Main drive shaft was bent within the first month from his weight.

And of course the places stated by the manufacturer to get warranty work were no longer taking any warranty work because of 1) They were overwhelmed from the amount coming in for repair 2) The manufacturer stopped paying for the warranty repairs.

Unfortunately, parts availability and getting good service seems to plague BRP too. Witness the recent issues with the sprocket recall, and that Spyder dealers are getting few and far between compared to a few years ago.

But I'm not inclined to purchase anything from China that doesn't have a reasonable chance for making repairs or returns. A lot of Chinese electronics fall into the category of "if it breaks, throw it away" so as I result I take a pass.