PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Remove Ghost Marks left after removing decal strips?

Texas Al
12-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Hi all. I recently removed racing strips from my Ryker and now I have ghost marking where the strips were. How can I get rid of these?

SLICE
12-11-2022, 05:20 PM
clay bar

FrogmanDave
12-13-2022, 05:57 PM
clay bar

And then DA polish.

Texas Al
01-10-2023, 06:21 PM
Tried the clay bar with no luck. These marks are on a Ryker rear fender. The satin finish may be the problem. Are there any other suggestions?

GuruSMI
01-11-2023, 01:28 AM
Hi all. I recently removed racing strips from my Ryker and now I have ghost marking where the strips were. How can I get rid of these?

I use Cilit Bang to get off all the decals. On my 3D Printer I have magnetic spring steel as base. On it there's a special decal then the printing is stuck onto that plate. It has a 3M glue in the middle. I use this: https://www.britsuperstore.com/usa/browse-by-section/homecare/household-cleaners/cillit-bang-cleaners.html - Cilit Bang Green. That removes all the decals like hell. Spray on, wait a few seconds, and gently wipe off with paper towels. If needed I also use a plastic spatula.

K80Shooter
01-11-2023, 08:52 AM
If the decals were on for several years, it might be near impossible to get rid of them. Try asking at a detail shop.

LongIsland
01-11-2023, 08:54 AM
Try WD40

FrogmanDave
01-11-2023, 09:00 AM
My advice to DA polish it was before I realized you had matte paint. Do not do this. Your signature says your Ryker is a 2021 so the stripes are not years old. But you may dealing with paint fade. If this is the case, there really is no cure. Especially with matte paint. Again this isn't really likely after a couple of years. Does it sit outside all the time?

hypurone
01-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Believe it or not, Peanut Butter is great to remove the glue, lines left behind. A word of caution tho since it is a matte finish, you may end up with a slightly shinier look when done initially. But you can then use whatever final finish product you have for cleaning/waxing to blend it into the surrounding areas...

Deanna777
01-11-2023, 06:39 PM

Texas Al,

Try Goo gone
Goo Gone can be used on car paint without any damages to its surface. So, if you have stubborn stains from oil, tar, chewing gum, grease, sticker, or decal residue, etc., you can apply Goo Gone to help you clear off the stickiness or stains.Nov 19, 2021.

I did a search and I found the above info. It does mention Sticker or decal residue. I would do a small test on ghost markings.

Deanna

campermac
01-13-2023, 07:28 PM
Goo Gone or Goof Off

pegasus1300
01-13-2023, 10:46 PM
in re reading your initial post the problem as I see it is that the stripes covered up the paint so that area has not faded along with the rest of the finish. If that is the case I don't see how you can get them to match without repainting the affected panels.

Deanna777
01-14-2023, 01:55 PM
Goo Gone or Goof Off

Goo Gone

Deanna